https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ganondork
Atarian
Atarian

Calling all developers - „Sync to core“ is great

Postby ganondork » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:18 am

Hey there.

I am using my MiSTer-Setup with my livingroom-TV, a Samsung-LCD. Using vsync=2 (single framebuffer, smooth scrolling) is a blast with NES, SNES or Genesis. I am really enjoying this perfect experience, the scaling and also Sorgeligs clean, very well designed UI. I actually started PLAYING the missed gems and stopped fiddling around with emulator settings, such a great experience.

Said cores output NEARLY straight 60hz, something like 59,9 or 60,1. My TV can process this very well and I think most TVs can. I am forced to use vsync=0 (off) for Neogeo (Output 59,2hz) and Turbografx (Output 59,7hz) because my TV has syncing problems. From what I read, many TVs have these issues. The GBA-core by FPGAzumSpass has a GREAT option to sync the virtual machines output to your TVs rate, so setting the output frequency to 60hz straight. I can't say how much I'd appreciate this for NeoGeo, Turbografx, Gameboy or future Cores like Turbografx CD or Jotegos CPS1. I read and understand that this is a complicated process, still I wanted to let all developers know that the feature would be greatly appreciated by me and many other users. And I'll be happy to appreciate this with my wallet, as far as I can do.

So this topic is meant for other users to join in the chant, if they do want this feature. I am aware of the fact that changing the frequency also means less accuracy. That may sound like something that is leading away from the concept a mister, but as an OPTION it will also be a much more pleasent gaming-experience for many users, with timing differences, that should not bee too easy to sense IMHO.

Feel free to let me know what you think :)

paulbnl
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Calling all developers - „Sync to core“ is great

Postby paulbnl » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 am

The Sync core to video feature does not change the refresh rate at all. The GBA core is always 59.72Hz.

Though for the Neogeo and TurboGrafx an option to change the refresh rate can be added by changing the clocks. Neogeo has different clocks for MVS and AES.

ganondork
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ganondork » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:22 am

Oh okay! What does it do then to enable the smooth scrolling?

paulbnl

Postby paulbnl » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:42 pm

The Gameboy has unstable video output which is fine for its own LCD screen but not for a TV. On a CRT you might see some shaky video and with vsync_adjust=2 it will lose sync often.

The Sync core to video option stabilizes the video timings and pauses the core when the Gameboy is too far ahead with rendering so that tearing does not happen. This does add 0-1 frame of latency depending where the Gameboy is with rendering but it is still better than 2 frames you get with vsync_adjust=0 or 1.

ganondork
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ganondork » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Thank you for explaining! Still, a switch to change „exotic“ timings to LCD-friendly 60hz would be awesome.

orange808
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby orange808 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:46 pm

:shrug:

The scaler already provides you a compatibility mode for 60Hz output on a display that doesn't perform well.

From what I'm reading, the GBA core option behaves the same way the MiSTer scaler does to get 60Hz. They both add about the same amount of lag.

As for "reclocking" the cores, I guess that's possible. Although, I would prefer to have devs working on more accurate emulation, better compatibility with software, and other features. The MiSTer scaler already provides a way to get a standard 60Hz output.

Maybe the solution is buying a good display.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Sync option in GBA has nothing to do with refresh rate.
It's because GBA timings don't fit into integral number of lines (because GBA uses LCD, not TV). So at the last line GBA core freezes for short time to let the current line to be drawn fully.
Without this TV gets incomplete line with misaligned HSync. Also scaler in vsync_adjust=2 misbehave do to this.

Return to “MiSTer”