Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

spark2k06
Atari User
Atari User

Joy2PS2 & Soraer's NKRO USB Converter for MiSTer

Postby spark2k06 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:33 am

This is a project that I am developing, modular and based on AVR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaunbXS9z4A

Configured with the default MAME keys for two players, the idea is that it can be reconfigured from an I2C LCD to save in the EEPROM.

It is the continuation of another development that I made exclusively for PS / 2, now modular and with the help of Soraer's NKRO USB Converter, it would reach all MiSTer cores that allow the use of keyboard, such as computer cores.

Each Joy2PS2 Core module allows a DB9 type connection that accepts multiple Joysticks protocols such as Atari, SMS, NES, etc ... although combining two Joy2PS2 Core could design a PCB for the Neogeo DB15 protocol, for example. Other PCBs other than DB9 could also be designed, with specific NES connectors, among others. You could even connect 4 modules of Joy2PS2 Core for 4 DB9 players.

All this is possible thanks to the management of the collision of events through buffers when the PS / 2 port is in use.
Each Joy2PS2 Core carries an Atmega168, which works with an internal oscillator of 8Mhz each, which is currently valid. Depending on future needs, this module could be extended to a 16Mhz external oscillator and/or other compatible AVR such Atmega328.

antoniovillena
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Joy2PS2 & Soraer's NKRO USB Converter for MiSTer

Postby antoniovillena » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:13 am

That works on Computer cores, but no on Console or Arcade ones. On those cases you need two USB cables: both gamepads or one gamepad/one keyboard. Because with the keyboard you can't map 2 controllers. For 2P support you need to modify the firmware. I have the same problem on my JAMMA adapter.

spark2k06
Atari User
Atari User

Postby spark2k06 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:37 am

antoniovillena wrote:That works on Computer cores, but no on Console or Arcade ones. On those cases you need two USB cables: both gamepads or one gamepad/one keyboard. Because with the keyboard you can't map 2 controllers. For 2P support you need to modify the firmware. I have the same problem on my JAMMA adapter.

In my case, a solution to that problem could be to modify Soraer's firmware, so that to certain PS / 2 keys, convert them to joystick events instead of the keyboard and send too the events through the same USB output. However, yes, a firmware-level solution of the MiSTer itself would be ideal... or that MiSTer's cores were adapted for use with a keyboard for all players, while still maintaining their possibility of joystick control.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:53 am

It's up to device firmware. Even a single USB device may have several virtual devices inside.
Some existing gamepads introduce several virtual devices. Usually devices are of different kinds, but i believe it's possible to have 2 of the same kinds devices. So i believe 2 virtual joysticks devices are possible. Important note: leave uniq field empty! Otherwise MiSTer will consolidate all virtual devices with the same uniq into a single one.

Return to “MiSTer”