https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Mac Plus help?

Postby alanswx » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:29 am

BBond007 wrote:
alanswx wrote:Basilisk patches a bunch of traps and installs drivers to get almost all the features working. I would like to keep my days of writing 68k software behind me. I am thinking if we can get fetch working it might be the best solution. Because it expects to connect to a Unix server. It will try to do the right things.

I am going to read more about the serial chip.

I figured that was probably the case. I mean that feature is not even available on Minimig core :)

Another serious limitation is the 20MB hd size. Can that be expanded to 10x or even 100x larger?

I am wondering if we need any arbitrary size limit. In the scsi.v it is hardcoded to 20. I think it is now hardcoded to 50 or 500? I need to read the size of the image. But I need to look back at format of the image. There is a scsi driver on the image. A while ago I made myself a big image but didn’t realize the scsi.v was hardcoded.

I am thinking of seeing if we can take the weird sized dsk images we see on the web and artificially make it look like a scsi disk. (Append a scsi driver on the front) That is one of the reasons I wanted two or three scsi disks.

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:31 am

alanswx wrote:Ash added a second vhd support. I need to check on it.

I think serial (and therefore ppp) is the next most important thing.

Any better way to get files on it would be great.

Well enabling midilink thats already built into mister will get you there, I believe PPP is also part of is feature set... the "hard part" would be adding the UART interfaces to the Mac core but the mac already had serial as part of it basic hardware (classic mac printers were serial based).. I presume thats not much of a leap.

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:34 am

BBond007 wrote:The link to the installer script is in the video description:

https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_BasiliskII

If you name it BOOT.VHD is should automatically select it. The ability to have multiple VHDs would be really nice.

Wonderful! ... Thank you .. Will also try renaming the file .. I dont think I ever tried that.. but even that small thing would go a long way to making using it less painful..

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:34 am

BBond007 wrote:
alanswx wrote:Ash added a second vhd support. I need to check on it.

It would be really nice if we had a "UNIX" drive (like Basilisk II) which gives access to the native Linux filesystem. I guess that might be asking too much...

Yea that would be a nice plus ..

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:35 am

I just want to say thank you to anyone who gives this core any sort of love.. its not had any real updates in a long time .. thanks in advance.

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:44 am

BBond007 wrote:The link to the installer script is in the video description:

https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_BasiliskII

Got it working thanks!
Though it was complaining about 24-bit at first .. I need to check what that was about..

BTW just on a gaff, any chance to get mini vMac working in the same way?
https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/

I tend to use both BasiliskII and vMac .. I know vMac duplicates much of the same Macplus core it would be nice to have ..

anyway just tossing it out there.. thanks again for this .. its wonderful..

spunkworks
Atarian
Atarian

Postby spunkworks » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:33 am

I would very much appreciate if anyone here could write step by step tutorial on how to set up the Mac II BasiliskII, somehow I can't get it working.
cheers

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:03 am

For the MacPlus core, I suggest using one of the following SCSI2SD images from this site -->
http://www.savagetaylor.com/2018/05/28/ ... isk-image/

These images already contain the necessary SCSI driver/partition for the MacPlus core and already have (minimal) OS 6.0.8 preinstalled. Make sure to pick one with System 6.0.8 as default - 7.5.5 won't work with the MacPlus core...

I went with the 2GB image. Because if you only have one drive you may as well go large :)

Rename "OS_608_2GB.dsk" to "BOOT.VHD" and place it in the "/media/fat/MacPlus" folder.

alanswx wrote:I am thinking of seeing if we can take the weird sized dsk images we see on the web and artificially make it look like a scsi disk. (Append a scsi driver on the front) That is one of the reasons I wanted two or three scsi disks.

I tried to convert some existing images using this method but was mostly unsuccessful and the process was very slow --> http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... romScratch

2GB is good enough for now...

spunkworks wrote:I would very much appreciate if anyone here could write step by step tutorial on how to set up the Mac II BasiliskII, somehow I can't get it working.
cheers

BasiliskII setup is easy provided you have the right stuff:

You will need a mac ROM. The two I have tested are LCIII and Q605 ROMS. They should be easy to find - search the google for "all Mac ROMS"...

You will also need some sort of OS Image:

For example: "OS_755_650MBCD.ZIP" from that previous link --> http://www.savagetaylor.com/2018/05/28/ ... isk-image/

Unzip this file, and it should contain a file "OS_755_650MBCD.iso"

Put that in "/media/fat/BasiliskII" along with the ROM.

You will need to create a blank VHD and this is where you will install the OS. BasiliskII handles multiple HDs so there is no real reason to go huge with this boot drive.

The following command will create a 512MB blank file:

#dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/fat/BasiliskII/BasiliskII_BOOT.VHD bs=1MB count=512

(You can issue this command over the Framebuffer console (F9) or SSH)

Next, edit "/media/fat/BasiliskII/.basilisk_ii_prefs" and add change/change the following lines:

rom Q605.ROM
    disk OS_755_650MBCD.iso
    disk BasiliskII_BOOT.VHD
Keep in mind that the "disk" order determines the boot priority. In this case, we want the ".ISO" to boot before the ".VHD"

When you boot BasiliskII (from the Scripts menu), it should ask you if you want to initialize the drive you just created. Yes - Do that. Name it whatever you want...

To install the MacOS, you can simply drag the "System 7.5.5" folder from the "OS 7.5.5 CD" drive to the new drive you just created. If you started with a different boot image than I suggested this folder will probably just be named "System". There may also be an installer application you can run.

Finally, you can remove "disk OS_755_650MBCD.iso" from the ".basilisk_ii_prefs" as you don't need this anymore.

Adding the line: "disk /media/fat/MacPlus/BOOT.VHD" to ".basilisk_ii_prefs" will allow you to access the MacPlus core HD inside BasiliskII in order to add stuff... For example I have a .5GB "Applications.HFV" and 1.5GB "Games.HFV" and was able to transfer all that to my 2GB MacPlus "BOOT.VHD". BasiliskII seems to be able to handle every image file I have tried which makes it very useful.

ericgus wrote:BTW just on a gaff, any chance to get mini vMac working in the same way?
https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/

I tend to use both BasiliskII and vMac .. I know vMac duplicates much of the same Macplus core it would be nice to have ..

anyway just tossing it out there.. thanks again for this .. its wonderful..

Yes, I was able to get mini vMac working. It runs quite well on MiSTer, unfortunately, it does not understand the (SCSI2SD) disk images (like BasiliskIl) with the SCSI driver/partition that the MacPlus core requires. It also does not have access to the UNIX filesystem like BasiliskII. The emulator is configurable at compile-time (vs run-time) so I have compiled several versions of it:

minivmac_512x384
    minivmac_640x480
    minivmacII_640x480
    minivmacII_800x600
    minivmacII_1024x768
    minivmacII_1280x1024

The "minivmacII" ones are MacII 8-bit color.

I hope this info helps...

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks! .. yes..

I didnt even know you could get > 20mb on the plus core.. i will have to look into this, thank you! .. I very much appreciate the effort you put into all of this..

Are the compiled minivmac on your github?

spunkworks
Atarian
Atarian

Postby spunkworks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Awesome guide man!! thank you so much!

Return to “MiSTer”