https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MegaCD (SegaCD) Core

Postby Estrayk » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am

Sorgelig wrote:
Estrayk wrote:I've 64mb instead 32Mb. Has anyone tried this core with 64mb addon?

does latest release of Archie works for you?

Yep. perfectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・MISTer・

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Archie uses 126MHz for SDRAM while MegaCD only 107MHz.
If Archie works fine then it shouldn't be SDRAM problem.

JonnyTenebrous
Atarian
Atarian

Postby JonnyTenebrous » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:20 pm

Quick question: does this core support analog output through the HDMI port using the Direct_Video option yet? I realise it's a new core and some cores don't work with Direct_Video until they are updated to support it. If this is the case - I'll just wait for a future update. I'm asking because I installed the MegaCD core for the first time tonight (and ran the MiSTer update script), placed the bios files in the correct place with the correct name, and when I launch the core I just get a black screen with no ability to access the menu. This is using a MiSTer connected to a consumer Sony Trinitron TV over RGB SCART using the Direct_Video feature. Thanks.

Vicosku
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Vicosku » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:52 am

Yes. Direct video is working perfectly for me.

JonnyTenebrous
Atarian
Atarian

Postby JonnyTenebrous » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Vicosku wrote:Yes. Direct video is working perfectly for me.

Thanks for the confirmation. I went back and tooled around some more and it's working fine now.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks for implementing RAM backup support. 8)

Internal backup is working fine so far. However, I have issues with the RAM cart (using Internal+Cart backup RAM).

For instance Vay. I quickly created 3 saves (internal RAM) and copied them to RAM cart (using memory manager). So far so good, internal and cart memory shows the same file names and blocks.

After restarting the core, the memory manager shows the following info:

Internal memory

Code: Select all

1   VAY_SAVE_01   16
2   VAY_SAVE_02   16
3   VAY_SAVE_03   16

RAM cartrigde

1   VAY_SAVE_01   16
2   VAY_SAVE_02   16
3   T  _SAT _03   2080

It looks like the 3rd entry is corrupted. Erasing items does not work. RAM cart can only be formatted.

A similar issue occurs with Shining Force CD. I played a couple of levels and saved them to internal RAM. Then from time to time, I copied the internal save to the RAM cart (in the game).

The memory manager shows the following info:

1   SFCD_DAT_01   99
2   SFCD_DAT_02   99
3   SFHD_DAT_03   99

Since the 3rd entry has a wrong name, it won't be displayed in the list of saves (in the game).

When I try to copy the internal save to the RAM cart (in the game), I get a "File access failed. Code 3" error. And items can't be erased in the memory manager as well.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:44 pm

There's a small sound issue in Shining Force CD.

When opening a chest or saving a game in the camp, there's a specific sound sample. The background music should stop when playing this sample, but it doesn't.

I have attached a save, where the knight can just open a chest.

Shining Force CD (US) - [6R1].zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SegaSnatcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SegaSnatcher » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:20 pm

So happy Snatcher working great now.

derFunkenstein
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby derFunkenstein » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:28 pm

yoshi41 wrote:There's a small sound issue in Shining Force CD.

When opening a chest or saving a game in the camp, there's a specific sound sample. The background music should stop when playing this sample, but it doesn't.

I have attached a save, where the knight can just open a chest.

Shining Force CD (US) - [6R1].zip

You can also hear it when Anri opens the "gift" at the start of the game. I created an issue on the GitHub repo this afternoon before I saw it was reported here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MegaCD_MiSTer/issues/16

softtest1
Atari User
Atari User

Postby softtest1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:31 pm

I'm really happy with this core already. I hadn't played the Lunar games for a long time but now with saving implemented in this MegaCD core, I've dug up my old save files and am continuing where I left off.

pacodelucia
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pacodelucia » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:53 am

Anyone else have issues with saving? I formatted the save RAM, made some progress on Snatcher, and now a day or two later every game is suddenly asking me to format the save RAM again :(

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Do you use internal or external RAM?

There's an issue with external RAM cart. The saves are corrupt after writing to SD card (see above). Internal memory seems to work fine.

I'm actually waiting for a new release before playing games with save support. Some code fixes have already been checked-in on github.

pacodelucia
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pacodelucia » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Save was on internal but I had both enabled just as a consequence of playing around in the options. I guess I'll wait for next release too.

derFunkenstein
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby derFunkenstein » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:38 pm

I have played through almost the entire first book of Shining Force CD saving to external without issue. Are you sure it's not an SD card corruption issue?

One thing I'm pretty careful about is that after saving, I hit the menu button...the music gets a little garbled for a couple seconds and then it stops. My guess (don't know for sure) is that it's writing to the SD card at that point. Once the CDDA track is back to playing normally, I always reboot my MiSTer when I'm done.

I have no idea if this is even necessary, but I want to make sure the save is actually written. I do this with all consoles, not just the Mega CD, and I've never had a problem with saves. Maybe coincidental.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:02 pm

It occurs on external (not internal) memory and it can be reproduced easily (see above). On github, you can see in comments, there‘s already a fix but not released yet.

Edit: Tried multiple times with several games. Eventually, at least one save file gets corrupt and prevents further saving or copying files from internal memory.

derFunkenstein
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby derFunkenstein » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:57 am

Ah my bad. I’m using an SD card. That explains why haven’t seen it yet.

blacklistedcard
Atariator
Atariator

Postby blacklistedcard » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:18 am

I have tried both cart and external. I think the save game is not working..

blacklistedcard
Atariator
Atariator

Postby blacklistedcard » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:04 pm

blacklistedcard wrote:I have tried both cart and external. I think the save game is not working..

Nevermind. I figured out what the problem was.

senkun
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby senkun » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 pm

JonnyTenebrous wrote:
Vicosku wrote:Yes. Direct video is working perfectly for me.

Thanks for the confirmation. I went back and tooled around some more and it's working fine now.

I'm having issues with direct video with this core, Genesis and TG16. Strange thing is, all other direct video supported cores work fine, eg. Neo Geo.

Can you kindly share what you did to get it working?

Vicosku
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Vicosku » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Oh hey, I just saw this. Yes, it all works. I use the Monoprice cable Analogue recommended for their DAC:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=566

I have that hooked up with the grey and black wires both plugged into the Sync inputs in the back. From there, I use the ext sync button on the front of my PVM.

Now that I think of it, I think that I had previously adjusted my PVM’s service menu in a weird way that put some systems out of range. I forget if it was the phase or frequency setting. I think I had a blank image until I reduced one of those.

And I said in the thread, I think I have composite sync set to 0. I guess having both sync cables plugged in makes it unnecessary.

Return to “MiSTer”