MegaCD (SegaCD) Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ExCyber
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: I get a static image of the SEGACD bios, unable to load any game

Postby ExCyber » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:59 pm

theimporter wrote:Note sure what that means, but I can confirm to you that all 5 cue files in there "pregap" for track 2.
I don't think the cuesheet is somehow invalid, I just think mixing those statements in the same file runs a higher risk of hitting bugs (compared to e.g. a track-per-file structure using PREGAP or a single-file structure that only uses INDEX 00 for pregaps). Anyway, it seems that cuesheet parsing wasn't related to the problem.

theimporter wrote:Well that sure solved my issue. So the question remains, why were some people are to run it without the new main core? Was it caused by having more than 32MB of SD RAM?
I don't see any SDRAM-related changes, just stuff having to do with OSD control. It looks like MiSTer_20191204 and MiSTer_20191205 were only released a few hours apart, so it could be that hardly anyone tried 20191204 in the first place.

djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: MegaCD (SegaCD) Core

Postby djsquare » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:35 pm

I just wanted to report that the region free bios works well. I've tested Japanese and US Sega CD games perfectly boot fine

BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby BlockABoots » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:17 pm

which region free bios are you using?

djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby djsquare » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:44 pm

BlockABoots wrote:which region free bios are you using?

you'll have to do some creative googling to find them. There are modified bios(s) that are region free . People burn them to ROM chips and throw them in real consoles, to make them region free as well.

Edit: I use 2.0 USA

theimporter
Atari User
Atari User

Postby theimporter » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 pm

yoshi41 wrote:Regarding saves.

RAM cart is not supported, I know. But what about built-in memory?

I'm able to save and load in games. I also can see the saves in the memory manager. As soon as I reboot, saves are gone.

Doesn't appear that it does since my Sonic CD game didn't safe when I reached Zone 2. But hey, at least it works and it's great for a first release.

thelatestmodel
Atariator
Atariator

Postby thelatestmodel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:09 am

This is incredible. Most of what I've tried so far works great. Thanks to all involved for their hard work, this is such an under-appreciated format! :cheers:

Only glitch I've noticed so far was in Snatcher, there is some weird graphics corruption after the first conversation with Mika that seems to persist after that point.

ZEENPR
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ZEENPR » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:03 am

My problem was the bios files. I Got a spanish region free bios and its working fine. Amazing work from srg320 and Sorgelig. :cheers:

Thank you,

theimporter wrote:
sys40 wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, please update your Misters with the last update !
Solve your issues ;)
MiSTer_20191205

Well that sure solved my issue. So the question remains, why were some people are to run it without the new main core? Was it caused by having more than 32MB of SD RAM?

breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby breiztiger » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:41 am

hi

very good to see this core !!! thanks sorgelig and srg320 :cheers:

just two basic questions, we can use all type of bios ? language and version ? or one is prefered ?

and is it better to have only one cue + one bin or one cue and multiple bin ?

thanks in advance

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby RabidWookie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:32 am

I can't get Ernest Evans past the Sonic Sega logo without freezing after Sonic makes the sparks pop out, I tried every bios and all the other games I tried worked fine.

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:11 am

RabidWookie wrote:I can't get Ernest Evans past the Sonic Sega logo without freezing after Sonic makes the sparks pop out, I tried every bios and all the other games I tried worked fine.

I have that game for Japan region and that runs fine, maybe try to get another disk image for that game?

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby RabidWookie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm

crocky wrote:
RabidWookie wrote:I can't get Ernest Evans past the Sonic Sega logo without freezing after Sonic makes the sparks pop out, I tried every bios and all the other games I tried worked fine.

I have that game for Japan region and that runs fine, maybe try to get another disk image for that game?

I'll give another copy a shot, thanks.

Ashenshards
Atariator
Atariator

Re: I get a static image of the SEGACD bios, unable to load any game

Postby Ashenshards » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Oddly enough My de10nano oddly won't run on the MiSTer_20191205 - i get some crazy color show on my tv. but MiSTer_20191204 works perfect with all of my cores.

thelatestmodel
Atariator
Atariator

Postby thelatestmodel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 pm

Another one - if you leave Road Avenger looping in attract mode it crashes to the BIOS.

Shaneus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shaneus » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:09 pm

To clarify, how do different BIOS' work... do you need to have one labelled as "boot.rom" and then you can have others for different regions etc.?

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:51 pm

Shaneus wrote:To clarify, how do different BIOS' work... do you need to have one labelled as "boot.rom" and then you can have others for different regions etc.?

Yeah since majority of games I have are US, I have renamed an US bios as boot.rom. If I want to run any other region, I use the bios from the menu, change the region and select the cue.

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lightwave » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:28 am

Shaneus wrote:To clarify, how do different BIOS' work... do you need to have one labelled as "boot.rom" and then you can have others for different regions etc.?

There is a region-free BIOS set available as well, these will play all games with a single BIOS.

softtest1
Atari User
Atari User

Postby softtest1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Amazing work, the core works great!

There are some emulators like Mednafen that allow per-game save files for CDROM-based games, instead of a global save file. Could this eventually be supported on the MiSTer with the MegaCD core, once saving is implemented? The internal save ram is pretty small, so this would be a huge benefit.

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Estrayk » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:28 pm

I can't make it work for me. :(

All updated to today with script. Tried several bios, tried several games. JAP, USA and EU. Seems like the core reset all time . Sometimes work, sometimes not.

I delete all configs, I update Mister and megacd core by hand... I dont know what more do.
Any suggestions?

I made a video for that you check what happend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JxePjEJlQ
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・MISTer・

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:38 pm

May be SD card is too slow.. just an idea.

trashuncle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby trashuncle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:20 pm

softtest1 wrote:Amazing work, the core works great!

There are some emulators like Mednafen that allow per-game save files for CDROM-based games, instead of a global save file. Could this eventually be supported on the MiSTer with the MegaCD core, once saving is implemented? The internal save ram is pretty small, so this would be a huge benefit.

This will be much needed, I believe. Just with testing out the core with the sega cd games I had available, I had to delete the memory a few times just due to auto saves.

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Estrayk » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Sorgelig wrote:May be SD card is too slow.. just an idea.

Hmmm... It is a Kingston MicroSD XC class 10 64Gb. can be... can be... anyway... I've 64mb instead 32Mb. Has anyone tried this core with 64mb addon?
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・MISTer・

BlueLightning
Atariator
Atariator

Postby BlueLightning » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:43 pm

I had issues too. Nothing worked for me. My MiSTer Board has the 128 MB RAM Board and i tried my old RAM Board with 32 MB and now the Core runs fine ;-). I am not sure maybe my RAM Board with 128 MB have Errors or the Core have problems with so much RAM. But with 32 MB it worked perfect. I am happy now.

Shaneus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shaneus » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 pm

BlueLightning wrote:I had issues too. Nothing worked for me. My MiSTer Board has the 128 MB RAM Board and i tried my old RAM Board with 32 MB and now the Core runs fine ;-). I am not sure maybe my RAM Board with 128 MB have Errors or the Core have problems with so much RAM. But with 32 MB it worked perfect. I am happy now.

My 128MB expansion works fine, FWIW.

BlueLightning
Atariator
Atariator

Postby BlueLightning » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:16 am

The Sega CD Core is great, neaver seen such great games. And the sound is perfect. Better as other Consoles. Mickey Mania, Final Fight, Thunderstrike, Pitfall, Prince of Persia and more...

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:10 am

Estrayk wrote:I've 64mb instead 32Mb. Has anyone tried this core with 64mb addon?

does latest release of Archie works for you?

Return to “MiSTer”