Very weak HDMI signal

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Xnyle
Atarian
Atarian

Very weak HDMI signal

Postby Xnyle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:38 pm

So my DE10 arrived today, it's working but the HDMI signal seems to be extremely weak:

If I use the wrong Power supply I only get a flicker at startup and then both monitors I tested immediately turn off again.
Same thing If I use the "wrong" HDMI cable.
If I use a HDMI switch in between I never get anything on the screen.

I had similar problems in the past with other ARM board but there was always some boot or kernel option like HDMI_BOOST on the RPI. I didn't find anything similar for the DE yet.

Power supplies used are not cheap ones, also the HDMI cables. But the only way to get proper signal is to use a very short HDMI cable and a beefy (2.5A+ rated) power supply.

Thing is, short cable and no HDMI switch in between is not really how I would like to setup this thing.

Now I'm wondering If my board is just broken.

Did anyone else have similar problems?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Very weak HDMI signal

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:23 pm

I use standard 1.8M HDMI cable connected to 3 port HDMI switch then to my monitor.
I use original DE10 PSU. I don't have any HDMI related issues.

Recently i've got HDMI-VGA converter with built-in splitter, so now it chained in between de10 and splitter. And this setup also works fine.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:09 am

I had sound issues on a couple of cores with my capture card (XCapture-1) when using an HDMI splitter.
I don't know why these two have an issue (GB, Apple II) since other cores work normally, but removing the splitter fixed it.

For general gameplay, I've used MiSTer connected to both 5-port and 8-port HDMI switches on my TV without issues.

Xnyle
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xnyle » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:06 am

Guess I'll have to try out a few other setups, but also in order to find out if my board is defective I'd have to get it replaced so I can compare :(

OT: Is there a way to get analog audio directly from the expansion header (without the I/O board)

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:19 pm

Xnyle wrote:OT: Is there a way to get analog audio directly from the expansion header (without the I/O board)

Some have built a circuit (based on the IO board schematic) similar to this:

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34468#p355203

quack75
Atarian
Atarian

Postby quack75 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:20 pm

My DE10-nano has exactly the same issue.
The HDMI signal is very weak. I can only use it on a specific monitor with a shielded monster cable.

Other combinaisons don't work, I have no signal.

senkun
Atarian
Atarian

Postby senkun » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Been searching everywhere and found this thread, it seems my DE10-Nano has the same issue. I've posted this in the fb group, but that thread will disappear in the fb scroll. I thought it best to also put it here for future reference.

In summary, tested on 3 different monitors, plus a tv, in various combinations with 4 sets of cables varies lengths (ranging from an aliexpress cheapo to expensive shielded av ones.) No hdmi video detected/displayed.

Board is new, stock configuration MSEL dipswitches setting. Tried with fresh Mister image, included angstrom sdcard, another card with lxde image from terasic website. Nothing.

Verified that it boots ok, ethernet over usb ok, putty in ok, webserver running ok. Just no hdmi on monitors.

Then tried with some HDMI converters I had :
DE10-Nano hdmi out > hdmi to av > av to hdmi > monitor.

And I get signal.. Awful quality, but now I'm seeing something on the monitor. I don't think there's such a thing as "weak" HDMI signal, it's digital, it's either there or not. So I don't even know what to think anymore.

Any ideas?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:11 am

Even being digital it has such thing as weakness. For analog signals you may see a noisy unstable picture if signal is too weak. For digital signals you usually has no picture at all if signal is too weak - this is your case.
I suggest to replace the de10-nano as faulty.

petraka
Atarian
Atarian

Postby petraka » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:40 am

Same issue here, bad or no hdmi signal.
I found It works (always) connecting the hdmi port to my Avermedia LGP Lite video capture (it's usb powered).
Possibly with a powered hdmi splitter get the same result.

senkun
Atarian
Atarian

Postby senkun » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:47 am

Sorgelig wrote:Even being digital it has such thing as weakness. For analog signals you may see a noisy unstable picture if signal is too weak. For digital signals you usually has no picture at all if signal is too weak - this is your case.
I suggest to replace the de10-nano as faulty.

Thank you. That makes sense.

Now I understand why we're seeing output through the convoluted hdmi > av > hdmi conversions.

I'm having this board RMA'd for a new one. For reference, this was one of the later revision C0 boards, could be a dud, or the entire batch, hopefully not but we'll see what we get with the new replacement.

Return to “MiSTer”