Joystick mapping revamp?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Joystick mapping revamp?

Postby jayp76 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Different games, different playstyles. Some games or levels in games are best played with analogue stick. For e.g. fighting games like Street Fighter 2, some prefer Sticks and some prefer Dpad. Like i mentioned, you wouldnt have to remap it, just activate it. It makes sense with the new button mapping revamp system. Yeah, comparisons to other retro systems like retropie are cumbersone, but they have such user friendly features. I understand it is not needed for users which only use arcade sticks, but many MiSTer users use 8bitdo or PS4 or Xbox controllers. I know i can remap it with current mapping system, but it is cumbersome for all cores.

softtest1
Atari User
Atari User

Postby softtest1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm

You can just enable both the analog stick and the d-pad at the same time and ignore one when the other works better for a particular game. I don't see how the analog stick being there and enabled prevents you from using the d-pad or vice versa. Just don't touch the one you don't want to use in a particular game or level. You only need to map the controls once per core.

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jayp76 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Yes, like i wrote before, i can do that, but i am seeking for some plus user friendlyness. The new revamp mapping system was a huge step forward. My suggestion could be a nice and welcomed addition. But i have the impression that you did not quite understand what my intention was. This was only a question to the devs if some feature like this is planned. I don't understand why you keep insisting things i already know and use. If no such feature is planned i am fine with that. I made no demands on this matter.

softtest1
Atari User
Atari User

Postby softtest1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 pm

I got the impression that what you wanted to do, was already easy to do, and more elegantly than what you were asking for, so I thought that my comment could help. I will drop it.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 am

jayp76 wrote:Yes, like i wrote before, i can do that, but i am seeking for some plus user friendlyness. The new revamp mapping system was a huge step forward. My suggestion could be a nice and welcomed addition. But i have the impression that you did not quite understand what my intention was. This was only a question to the devs if some feature like this is planned. I don't understand why you keep insisting things i already know and use. If no such feature is planned i am fine with that. I made no demands on this matter.

As already been said both analog stick and dpad are always working at the same time. So you don't have to switch it in menu. Just use any of them you like. When assigning button in the core you have 2 alternative sets to assign where you are free to assign 2 sets of directional buttons as you like.
There is no point to break through opened door ;)

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jayp76 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:20 am

@Sorgelig.
I don't have my MiSTer currently in reach, so i can't test.
But just to be sure what you wrote. If i start up a core and have no other controller porfiles, do both dpad and analog stick work out of the box at the same time? Without an alternative profile and manual config? In my recent memory this did not work, only the dpad. If it is the later, this is was what i wanted to avoid and asked if such a feature is available.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:27 pm

jayp76 wrote:@Sorgelig.
I don't have my MiSTer currently in reach, so i can't test.
But just to be sure what you wrote. If i start up a core and have no other controller porfiles, do both dpad and analog stick work out of the box at the same time? Without an alternative profile and manual config? In my recent memory this did not work, only the dpad. If it is the later, this is was what i wanted to avoid and asked if such a feature is available.

yes, both controls work as directional buttons initially.

peepsalot
Atari User
Atari User

Postby peepsalot » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:56 am

Hi, I recently went through the main joystick setup using 8bitDo M30 (wired over USB).

On M30 there are the 3 small center buttons: "star", "minus"(select), and "home".
I configured the center minus button to "select", and I wanted to use one of those others as OSD button, but the config menu wouldn't recognize either of them for me. I had to skip that button with keyboard input. Is there some extra setup I need to allow recognizing these two other buttons or is it not possible? Would really like to open menu without swapping to keyboard.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:04 am

peepsalot wrote: Is there some extra setup I need to allow recognizing these two other buttons or is it not possible? Would really like to open menu without swapping to keyboard.

That happened to me when using DInput mode. Try pairing with XInput mode instead.

peepsalot
Atari User
Atari User

Postby peepsalot » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 am

Ah, thank you! I guess I didn't realize there were different "pairing" modes even for non-bluetooth usage.
I followed instruction from the manual this time for XInput: Hold X & start until LEDs 1&2 flash, then plug in USB cable.
This time I was able to configure the Home button to OSD, so its working better now.

BTW, it still didn't seem to recognize the "star" button after that, but just having home button working is enough for me anyways.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:54 am

I believe the Star button is for setting up autofire, and does not translate into a separate button on the HID USB protocol.

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jayp76 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:40 am

@Sorgelig
I tried on my setup and the Stick did not work. But luckily i found what caused the "issue". I must have mapped the left Stick funktionality with the right Stick when the controller mapping revamp was introduced. So since then i did not notice that both dpad and stick should work. I am glad this works now. Thanks for pointing out that both controller methods work.

Return to “MiSTer”