NeoGeo topic

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

hernan43
Atariator
Atariator

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby hernan43 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:16 pm

djsquare wrote:I have unibios 4.0 but for my MVS cabinet int he garage. I wonder how hard it would be dump the physical chip for use on the core

I dumped mine with a TL866 chip programmer. It was painless.

poodude
Atarian
Atarian

Postby poodude » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:57 am

I also dumped my 4.0 bios for use with this core using the cheap and awesome GQ-4x. Is anyone using neogeo usb controller adapters? I found the neo-geo-dapter converter to work quite well. It runs at full USB 2.0. I love the micro switches in the neo-cd controller.

jcarvalho
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Using External USB Hard Drive

Postby jcarvalho » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Hello! I have downloaded from VIP ftp the files from folder neogeo to my external USD HD that I use with Mister, the problem is that no ROM is listed :(
In SD card in the neogeo games folder I have the required bios also present on the USB HD, I am using the original 8gb card that come with mister so it is not possible to me to store the roms on sd card. All other roms to SNES, NES etc etc are listed but nothing on neogeo core. Can some one point me the correct way to setup the neogeo roms from external USB HD?
Bonus question: when I ftp to mister I cant see media/usb0 (all other usb1 to 7 gives error) it returns empty, so I need to disconnect usb HD from mister to connect to pc in order to transfer files. USB HD is NTFS formated, is it correct?
Many thanks for any kind help!

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Using External USB Hard Drive

Postby BigMac740p » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 pm

jcarvalho wrote:Hello! I have downloaded from VIP ftp the files from folder neogeo to my external USD HD that I use with Mister, the problem is that no ROM is listed :(
In SD card in the neogeo games folder I have the required bios also present on the USB HD, I am using the original 8gb card that come with mister so it is not possible to me to store the roms on sd card. All other roms to SNES, NES etc etc are listed but nothing on neogeo core. Can some one point me the correct way to setup the neogeo roms from external USB HD?
Bonus question: when I ftp to mister I cant see media/usb0 (all other usb1 to 7 gives error) it returns empty, so I need to disconnect usb HD from mister to connect to pc in order to transfer files. USB HD is NTFS formated, is it correct?

First you need the romsets.xml file in your NeoGeo game folder with the bios files for your games files to be recognized.

You should format your USB HD as ExtFAT.

jcarvalho
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: Using External USB Hard Drive

Postby jcarvalho » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi! Big thank you! All is working now! I reformated the USB HD to ExtFAT, put all files inside and voilá!!!!!!! Roms listed!! :cheers:

BigMac740p wrote:
jcarvalho wrote:Hello! I have downloaded from VIP ftp the files from folder neogeo to my external USD HD that I use with Mister, the problem is that no ROM is listed :(

First you need the romsets.xml file in your NeoGeo game folder with the bios files for your games files to be recognized.

You should format your USB HD as ExtFAT.

MrSunshine
Retro freak
Retro freak

Neo Geo "bad contact" error message

Postby MrSunshine » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:19 am

Trying to run Neo Geo games recently and none of them seem to work. A few just put me into a diagnostic mode, and several report "Exception Error Handling" and say there is "bad contact between game and Neo Geo."

Am I using a bad rom batch? I thought I was using the right one, but I may have screwed it up?

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Neo Geo "bad contact" error message

Postby crocky » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:08 am

Likely bad rom / xml.

ChocoboTime
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ChocoboTime » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:25 am

MrSunshine wrote:Trying to run Neo Geo games recently and none of them seem to work. A few just put me into a diagnostic mode, and several report "Exception Error Handling" and say there is "bad contact between game and Neo Geo."

Am I using a bad rom batch? I thought I was using the right one, but I may have screwed it up?

Try to blow on the connectors and reinsert the cart.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

NeoGeo Bad Apple Demo

Postby BigMac740p » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to run the Bad Apple demo for NeoGeo. I've got the ROM from here:
https://www.yaronet.com/topics/188010-b ... undbuilder

I've got a driver file for Mame that I try to adapt into a romset.xml file for the Neo Geo core. I've read the doc about the romsets.xml and how to map roms to their respective memory region (index) but I've got multiple programs rom and I can't figure out what would be the correct setup.

here is my romset.xml so far:

Code: Select all

<romset name="badapple" pcm="1" altname="Bad Apple Demo HiRes" ram="3">
<file name="dev_p1.bin" offset="0x000000" size="0x100000" index="4"/>
<file name="BA-p0.bin" offset="0x100000" size="0x100000" index="5"/>
<file name="BA-p1.bin" offset="0x200000" size="0x100000" index="6"/>
<file name="BA-p2.bin" offset="0x300000" size="0x100000" index="6"/>
<file name="BA-p3.bin" offset="0x400000" size="0x100000" index="6"/>
<file name="BA-p4.bin" offset="0x500000" size="0x100000" index="6"/>
<file name="BA-p5.bin" offset="0x600000" size="0x100000" index="6"/>
<file name="BA-p6.bin" offset="0x700000" size="0x100000" index="6"/>
<file name="BA-p7.bin" offset="0x800000" size="0x100000" index="6"/>
<file name="BA-s1.bin" offset="0x000000" size="0x020000" index="8"/>
<file name="BA-c1.bin" offset="0x500000" size="0x500000" index="64"/>
<file name="BA-c2.bin" offset="0xA00000" size="0x500000" index="66"/>
<file name="BA-c3.bin" offset="0xF00000" size="0x500000" index="68"/>
<file name="BA-c4.bin" offset="0x1400000" size="0x500000" index="70"/>
<file name="BA-c5.bin" offset="0x1900000" size="0x500000" index="72"/>
<file name="BA-c6.bin" offset="0x1E00000" size="0x500000" index="74"/>
<file name="BA-c7.bin" offset="0x2300000" size="0x500000" index="76"/>
<file name="BA-m1.bin" offset="0x000000" size="0x020000" index="9"/>
<file name="BA-v1.bin" offset="0x000000" size="0x500000" index="16"/>
</romset>

kazki
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kazki » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:19 pm

badapple is THE largest file to run on a Neogeo core, the only one that requires a 128MB Ram

here are the files : https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt7gcb9pdrihg ... e.zip?dl=0
should be ok since it is a homebrew demo

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BigMac740p » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:57 pm

kazki wrote:badapple is THE largest file to run on a Neogeo core, the only one that requires a 128MB Ram

here are the files : https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt7gcb9pdrihg ... e.zip?dl=0
should be ok since it is a homebrew demo

Thanks a lot, I didn't know there was more than one version for the Neo Geo.

Marauder66
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Marauder66 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:16 pm

MrSunshine wrote:Trying to run Neo Geo games recently and none of them seem to work. A few just put me into a diagnostic mode, and several report "Exception Error Handling" and say there is "bad contact between game and Neo Geo."

I've had that happen too with the latest core, running Blazing Star towards end of first level. Was ok before. Or, should I say as far as I got, third level.
Need to play it again, and see if it is reproducible.

kazki
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kazki » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi this is most likely a unibios error, try using a normal neo-epo.sp1 (aes) bios or a sp-s2.sp1 bios (mvs) instead of the unibios

For the neogeo core to work you need both the .xml file and the darksoft romset
Have fun guys the neogeo core is very acurate to the real thing, I even made an usb encoder for my good old Neogeo arcade stick and it works great :)

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sqwirral » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:58 am

If you want to use an original BIOS from a different region you can grab them from the following 2 MAME zips. Here's a list of each BIOS as it's named in MAME, and the corresponding file. For Console/AES rename your file to 'neo-epo.sp1', or Arcade/MVS it's 'sp-s2.sp1'.

Obviously you can change region and mode with Unibios but I think this only changes per-game, while doing this will be a global change for all games.

Japanese BIOS will give you blood in games such as Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown, different game titles, an export warning screen, and sometimes Japanese text in game.
US BIOS will have English text and game titles, and a 'Winners Don't Use Drugs' screen except for 'US MVS (Ver. 1)'.
Europe and Asia both have English text with no drugs or warning screens.

Also something I noticed while testing, aside from the obvious MVS/AES differences, in MVS mode you get the Neo Geo logo and jingle on each loop of the attract mode, it's missing from AES apart from on first boot.

aes.zip
    Asia AES neo-epo.bin
    Japan AES neo-po.bin
    Development System ROM neodebug.rom
neogeo.zip
    Europe MVS (Ver. 2) sp-s2.sp1
    Europe MVS (Ver. 1) sp-s.sp1
    Asia NEO-MVH MV1C sp-45.sp1
    Asia MV1B sp-s3.sp1
    US MVS (Ver. 2?) sp-u2.sp1
    US MVS (Ver. 1) sp-e.sp1
    US MVS (4 slot, Ver 2) sp1-u2
    US MVS (U4) sp1-u3.bin
    US MVS (U3) sp1-u4.bin
    Japan MVS (Ver. 3) vs-bios.rom
    Japan MVS (Ver. 2) sp-j2.sp1
    Japan MVS (Ver. 1) sp1.jipan.1024
    Japan MV1B japan-j3.bin
    Japan MVS (J3, alt) sp1-j3.bin
    Japan NEO-MVH MV1C sp-j3.sp1
    Custom Japanese Hotel sp-1v1_3db8c.bin
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 3.3) uni-bios_3_3.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 3.2) uni-bios_3_2.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 3.1) uni-bios_3_1.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 3.0) uni-bios_3_0.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 2.3) uni-bios_2_3.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 2.3, older?) uni-bios_2_3o.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 2.2) uni-bios_2_2.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 2.1) uni-bios_2_1.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 2.0) uni-bios_2_0.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 1.3) uni-bios_1_3.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 1.2) uni-bios_1_2.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 1.2, older) uni-bios_1_2o.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 1.1) uni-bios_1_1.rom
    Universe Bios (Hack, Ver. 1.0) uni-bios_1_0.rom

djsquare
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby djsquare » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:30 am

I realize this doesn't really matter but I was able to dump the Unibios v4.0 chip that was in my MVS arcade thanks to help from someone here. It's really neat to see my MVS serial number on boot up and have the newest version. If anyone needs help dumping their bios chip I can help but obviously I will NOT share any files. :cheers:

Peredonov
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Peredonov » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Is there a way to access original bios' dip switch settings options, or is it only possible to customize settings using unibios for now?

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sqwirral » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Peredonov wrote:Is there a way to access original bios' dip switch settings options, or is it only possible to customize settings using unibios for now?

In MVS mode you have DIP settings in the menu for Settings, Freeplay, and Freeze.

Peredonov
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Peredonov » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:18 pm

sqwirral wrote:
Peredonov wrote:Is there a way to access original bios' dip switch settings options, or is it only possible to customize settings using unibios for now?

In MVS mode you have DIP settings in the menu for Settings, Freeplay, and Freeze.

Oh yes somehow I forgot these were there. Indeed this works perfectly, thanks!

kazki
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kazki » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 am

In MVS mode in MiSTer menu you can enable dipswitches settings from the MiSTer menu and then return to the menu to disable dipswitch settings

But in AES mode and using unibios, press ABC at launch to access the unibios settings and you can also set the dipswitches directly from there, that’s my prefered method as I don’t need to return to MiSTer menu to set dipswitch to off afterwards

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby comfysofa » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Not sure if i should post a new topic or just ask here, so, here goes....

Im trying to get the neo geo games working, theyre all in the right place but when i load the core and then go to where the games are i cant see anything? Im assuming im missing something...!?

hyperterminal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby hyperterminal » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:44 pm

comfysofa wrote:Not sure if i should post a new topic or just ask here, so, here goes....

Im trying to get the neo geo games working, theyre all in the right place but when i load the core and then go to where the games are i cant see anything? Im assuming im missing something...!?

You need the Neo Geo Roll-Up Pack from Darksoft, not the MAME romset.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby vanfanel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:58 pm

Just to report that the tittle music in "Puzzle De Pon!" is still sounding wrong.
Games sounding wrong are an exception these days, so... :cheers:

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby comfysofa » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:07 pm

hyperterminal wrote:
comfysofa wrote:Not sure if i should post a new topic or just ask here, so, here goes....

You need the Neo Geo Roll-Up Pack from Darksoft, not the MAME romset.

Brilliant - thanks very much.... ive found a link but its dog slow....do you know of any other ones...?

This is the slow one...

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... es-multis/

Thanks again.

Edit = scrub that - think i had one squirrelled away....cheers.

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby comfysofa » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 pm

Hmmm - copied in the folder that i had (alledgedly the right one) but it just lists the roms as sub folder and if say for example i go into kof2 the directory is empty....is there supposed to be an xml file or something like that??

mutmuthux
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mutmuthux » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Theres a mister pack of everything neogeo, roms and bios, up on archive.org

Return to “MiSTer”