NeoGeo topic

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

mathewbeall
Atarian
Atarian

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby mathewbeall » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:42 am

Hi Folks - new to the Mister - have been messing around with it for the last week or so.

I can load cores that need more memory like NES, MegaCD, etc. I have a 32MB board (and just today, a 128MB). I started trying NeoGeo and for small games like 2020 Baseball and Samurai Showdown I was getting "not enough memory" errors - regardless if I had the 32 or 128 plugged in.

I have done a ton of searches - but trying to figure out what I am doing wrong here.... for the 32MB - it can only get plugged in one way (3 pins go into the single layer header) and on the 128MB - the "this faces outward" does indeed face outward.

Matt

mathewbeall
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mathewbeall » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:55 am

One other interesting thing - i have seem some video's where on the Mister main menu bar where you select the core - there is an icon there that shows a half full RAM icon for 32MB and a full RAM icon for 128MB - i don't see the icon at all.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:56 am

Because you didn't update the MiSTer binary

mathewbeall
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mathewbeall » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:02 am

I thought I was using the latest release - I grabbed MiSTer_20191205 from the GitHub /releases directory and renamed it "MiSTer" on the SD card.

But - maybe there is more to do it than that, let me keep searching.

Matt

mathewbeall
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mathewbeall » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:04 am

Ok - I do see this note:

Don't forget to update MiSTer and Menu.rbf binaries on FAT partition manually (remove date-codes from names). The versions included in this installer may be outdated!

Let me go do that... :)

THANKS!

Matt

mathewbeall
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mathewbeall » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:15 am

That indeed was it.... somehow - when I made my second card after I was done testing I used an older version of the SD create utility. All good now!

8PercentAndroid
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 8PercentAndroid » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi all, I'm getting the following issue when trying to use the unibios v3.3: "Hardware Test Failed". With the standard bios it just seems to keep rebooting to the title screen. Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts? Thanks

DJPWeb
Atarian
Atarian

Postby DJPWeb » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:30 pm

8PercentAndroid wrote:Hi all, I'm getting the following issue when trying to use the unibios v3.3: "Hardware Test Failed". With the standard bios it just seems to keep rebooting to the title screen. Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts? Thanks

Check the name of your bios files based on the latest romsets.xml file. I had some differences causing similar issues (I think something changed between the initial release and today)

8PercentAndroid
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 8PercentAndroid » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Hey thanks for the reply, the files look correct as per the xml file.. weirdly everything worked for some time then stopped working again.

8PercentAndroid
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 8PercentAndroid » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:09 pm

DJPWeb wrote:
8PercentAndroid wrote:Hi all, I'm getting the following issue when trying to use the unibios v3.3: "Hardware Test Failed". With the standard bios it just seems to keep rebooting to the title screen. Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts? Thanks

Check the name of your bios files based on the latest romsets.xml file. I had some differences causing similar issues (I think something changed between the initial release and today)

Filenames all look good as far as i can see. I've attached the errors i get as screenshots. any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJPWeb
Atarian
Atarian

Postby DJPWeb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:46 pm

8PercentAndroid wrote:
DJPWeb wrote:

Filenames all look good as far as i can see. I've attached the errors i get as screenshots. any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated

This romsets.xml ? (must be updated too)
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... omsets.xml

AwesomeDolphin76
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AwesomeDolphin76 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:26 am

DJPWeb wrote:
8PercentAndroid wrote:
DJPWeb wrote:Check the name of your bios files based on the latest romsets.xml file. I had some differences causing similar issues (I think something changed between the initial release and today)

This romsets.xml ? (must be updated too)
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... omsets.xml

It's probably a real error, because I'm getting intermittent issues with the NeoGeo. Sometimes the game runs, sometimes it runs with corrupted graphics, sometimes I get the "hardware test failed" or an "exception" screen.

Remember, this is basically "real hardware", and is going to test the same (and fail the same), as a real board.

I'm going to send my DE10-Standard back for replacement. Yet another electronic product that's dead out of the box.

8PercentAndroid
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 8PercentAndroid » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:07 pm

Hey I reran an updated ver of memtest and it flagged up some errors so replaced the ram and it seems to work now. Using a nano

saladwithhotdogsinit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby saladwithhotdogsinit » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Hiya,

I'm having some issues getting my roms to actually show up.

I'm using the "Darksoft ROM pack" as suggested in the readme and I found everything except "neo-epo.sp1", which I believe is related to the console bios. The romsets.xml file in the releases directory from the github is also present.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Also, is "neo-ep.sp1" commonly called something else?

Running real neogeo hardware is a childhood dream of mine and this is the next best thing. I'm pretty stoked. Any help would be appreciated.

:cheers:

jca
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jca » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:25 pm

saladwithhotdogsinit wrote:Hiya,

I'm having some issues getting my roms to actually show up.

I'm using the "Darksoft ROM pack" as suggested in the readme and I found everything except "neo-epo.sp1", which I believe is related to the console bios. The romsets.xml file in the releases directory from the github is also present.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Also, is "neo-ep.sp1" commonly called something else?

Running real neogeo hardware is a childhood dream of mine and this is the next best thing. I'm pretty stoked. Any help would be appreciated.

:cheers:

The readme file indicates that the names can vary. I found a neogeo.zip which contains all the files but I remember having to rename one and I think it is the one you are missing. If my memory is correct it was called sp-e.sp1. The zip file also contained an old unibios. Foe this one go to the unibios web site and download the latest free version (version 3);

saladwithhotdogsinit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby saladwithhotdogsinit » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:27 am

Thanks for the response. Still No dice.

Within a folder called 'NEOGEO' (in all caps) I have:
  • 000-lo.lo
  • neo-epo.sp1
  • sfix.sfix
  • sp-s2.sp1
  • uni-bios.rom (which is the latest version as you suggested)
  • romsets.xml

An example of a rom (2020bb) directory within that folder contains:
  • crom0
  • fpga
  • m1rom
  • prom
  • srom
  • vroma0
They have no file extensions. Maybe this is the problem? I downloaded what I can only assume is the same Darksoft ROM pack link everyone finds when they google it.

Thanks for your help.

mutmuthux
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mutmuthux » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 am

Theres a mister pack of everything neogeo, roms and bios, up on archive.org
It was from september last year i think, so I'm not sure if it still works with the lastest mister rbf

tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tenshin2002 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:00 pm

saladwithhotdogsinit wrote:Thanks for the response. Still No dice.

Within a folder called 'NEOGEO' (in all caps) I have:
  • 000-lo.lo
  • neo-epo.sp1
  • sfix.sfix
  • sp-s2.sp1
  • uni-bios.rom (which is the latest version as you suggested)
  • romsets.xml

An example of a rom (2020bb) directory within that folder contains:
  • crom0
  • fpga
  • m1rom
  • prom
  • srom
  • vroma0
They have no file extensions. Maybe this is the problem? I downloaded what I can only assume is the same Darksoft ROM pack link everyone finds when they google it.

Thanks for your help.

It looks right but to be really clear:
The folder structure would be:

Games/NEOGEO/ Here you put all the files you listed above in including the xml file. plus all games folders.
The files in the game folders are all named the same in every folder and should not have a file extension.

So it looks like you did everything right. If I were you I would delete all the bios files and transfer them again. If you are using FTP to transfer remember to only use transfer in Binary mode.

EDIT: I remember now! I had the exact same issue. Take a look at the XML file in your NEOGEO folder I bet you only have a web adress in it. Its a bit tricky to get the XML file downloaded with the actual code in it. I bet this is your issue. Just download it again and make sure the XML file is actually containing the code.

blacklistedcard
Atariator
Atariator

Postby blacklistedcard » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:36 am

Can you still get the Universal BIOS v4.0? I can't figure out how to buy v4.0.

hernan43
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hernan43 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:23 am

I’ve heard the person who sells 4.0 is taking a hiatus for a while. I have not heard when they plan if at all to start up again.

ChocoboTime
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ChocoboTime » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:29 pm

tenshin2002 wrote:
saladwithhotdogsinit wrote:If you are using FTP to transfer remember to only use transfer in Binary mode.

You saved the day. I tried everything over and over, it was making 0 sense. Transferring in Binary mode was the fix. Not sure if there is a Wiki or anything, but it should be mentioned in bold red letters. Never had a similar issue with any other core.
Anyway, thanks!

tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tenshin2002 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:40 pm

ChocoboTime wrote:
tenshin2002 wrote:
saladwithhotdogsinit wrote:If you are using FTP to transfer remember to only use transfer in Binary mode.

You saved the day. I tried everything over and over, it was making 0 sense. Transferring in Binary mode was the fix. Not sure if there is a Wiki or anything, but it should be mentioned in bold red letters. Never had a similar issue with any other core.
Anyway, thanks!

Glad I could help! I struggled myself with that. :D

djsquare
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby djsquare » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:37 pm

I have unibios 4.0 but for my MVS cabinet int he garage. I wonder how hard it would be dump the physical chip for use on the core

jca
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jca » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 pm

djsquare wrote:I have unibios 4.0 but for my MVS cabinet int he garage. I wonder how hard it would be dump the physical chip for use on the core

Is there any advantage to use V4? I have V3 and quite happy with it.

hernan43
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hernan43 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm

I think there are 1 or 2 fixes for games but other than that I don't believe there is anything really compelling. At least not in the context of MiSTer.

http://unibios.free.fr/download/whatsnew.txt

Return to “MiSTer”