NeoGeo topic

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:23 am

Shamus wrote:I am having trouble with the NeoGeo sound which I grab as analog audio from GPIO 1 and feed into the audio jack of my monitor. It is hardly hearable and seems distorted. No problems here with the other cores, though. Apart from this, fantastic work!

you can't use GPIO pin directly for analog audio as it's digital output. You need to use sigma-delta DAC (same as on I/O board).

Shamus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shamus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 am

Yes, I am using a small PCB containing the necessary resistors and capacitors according to the IO board schematics:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34468&p=354727#p355203

This works fine for all cores I tested so-far except for the NeoGeo. Does it handle audio differently?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 am

Shamus wrote:Yes, I am using a small PCB containing the necessary resistors and capacitors according to the IO board schematics:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34468&p=354727#p355203

This works fine for all cores I tested so-far except for the NeoGeo. Does it handle audio differently?

same for all cores as it's part of framework.

BlueLightning
Atariator
Atariator

Postby BlueLightning » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:22 am

Hallo,

i got the neo geo core after a hard time of testing :-( working. I found more things out. With the newer MiSTer Core and the neo geo a got no picture anymore over my xbox one x. The picture works on my little RPI LCD Screen, it's small but working :-) . I am using i think the mame neo geo core with the correct roms now :-)) they load all fine with unibios. But now my problem.... i have no sound at all. I tried both HDMI and 3,5mm audio jack. All other cores work with sound. Which file is wrong, or should i change some settings. I have no idea :-((.

BlueLightning
Atariator
Atariator

Postby BlueLightning » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:26 pm

i fixed all problems :-) new sd card with installer, then newest mister and menu files. after that neo geo runs perfect!! Thanks a lot to the developers from the neo geo core.

brunosilva
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brunosilva » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:17 pm

what the format for the xml for .neo games? i think i didnt find it in github...

thanks

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:36 am

brunosilva wrote:what the format for the xml for .neo games? i think i didnt find it in github...

thanks

.neo files don't use xml. This format has header. Not all games will work from .neo
it's produced by NeoBuilder tool: https://stoneagegamer.com/neosd-resources.html

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:50 pm

I have my 128mb module and I hope to find time to test the neogeo core soon. That is great that we have an AES/MVS replacement and or new device for most that never owned either. For the sake of historic prosperity, I'd like to know:

Didn't this core either at one very early point prior to release support Neo Geo CD as a workaround attempt at the memory limitations? Was that just a spoken about idea or did CD games run in the beta stages? Is CD support in the discussion stages for a future release or would that be a separate core if and when at all?

brunosilva
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brunosilva » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:40 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
brunosilva wrote:what the format for the xml for .neo games? i think i didnt find it in github...

thanks

.neo files don't use xml. This format has header. Not all games will work from .neo
it's produced by NeoBuilder tool: https://stoneagegamer.com/neosd-resources.html

so i just load them? and thats it? i really didn't try it... :X

terminator2k2
Atariator
Atariator

Postby terminator2k2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:06 pm

brunosilva wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:

thanks

so i just load them? and thats it? i really didn't try it... :X

with .neo yea , just stick them on and load, nothing in the .xml , i did try to make a metal slug 5 plus rom , but it didnt work properly

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 am

seastalker wrote:Didn't this core either at one very early point prior to release support Neo Geo CD as a workaround attempt at the memory limitations? Was that just a spoken about idea or did CD games run in the beta stages? Is CD support in the discussion stages for a future release or would that be a separate core if and when at all?

Neo CD won't give anything besides the historical reason. Everything is available in non-CD version. Couple games released exclusively for CD are already converted to ROM format. Games released in both format have crippled graphics in CD version. None of large games requiring 128MB SDRAM available in CD version.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:30 am

Sorgelig wrote:Neo CD won't give anything besides the historical reason.

To be fair, NeoCD can have much better soundtrack quality, because of CD-Audio.

yoshi41
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yoshi41 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am

There are some reasons for CD support, but really just nice to have.

A couple of CD games have some differences.

Crossed Swords 2 : The conversion is a fixed version, not the original
Metal Slug 1/2 : Added combat school
Neo Turf Masters : Additional golf course Scotland
Thrash Rally : Manual shifting gears for some cars

And of course, about the half of the CD games have arranged music.

There isn't a Samurai Spirits RPG ROM conversion, but not really playable for non-japanese speakers.

Some bigger fighting games have missing animation frames.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 am

And many minutes of loading.

It's up to furrtek's plans anyway. If he will finish CD code, then core will have CD support.

djmartins
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby djmartins » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Sorgelig wrote:It's up to furrtek's plans anyway. If he will finish CD code, then core will have CD support.

We went from people asking if MiSTer could do NeoGeo to having a core running a lot of games and a new memory to support large games.
I understand wanting EVERYTHING Neo Geo now but come on now, what we have now is pretty amazing!

nakedarthur
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nakedarthur » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:46 pm

Great work on the core too all involved!

I was checking out Nightmare in the Dark today and noticed the music starts glitching in and out around stage 2, but by stage 3 its a constant problem.

BlueLightning
Atariator
Atariator

Postby BlueLightning » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:44 pm

I tried both mame and non mame. The better one is mame, because faster loading time! I had only a handful of games that not running with the missing rom error. But no problems with sound or graphics! The non mame have some issues with graphics and that stays sometimes in the RAM and makes problems with other games loaded later. And long loading times. I know the non mame is new created and need many fixes. The mame is build over so much years! I can play with both versions. Changing only the folder name to neogeo I use one neogeo.rbf for both. In the Neo Geo folder are the needed bios files+mame or nonmame xml and the games.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 pm

BlueLightning wrote:I tried both mame and non mame. The better one is mame, because faster loading time! I had only a handful of games that not running with the missing rom error. But no problems with sound or graphics! The non mame have some issues with graphics and that stays sometimes in the RAM and makes problems with other games loaded later. And long loading times. I know the non mame is new created and need many fixes. The mame is build over so much years! I can play with both versions. Changing only the folder name to neogeo I use one neogeo.rbf for both. In the Neo Geo folder are the needed bios files+mame or nonmame xml and the games.

No idea what means "non mame". Darksoft pack is superior to mame. All darksoft roms are working. Loading time depends only on ROM size. It doesn't matter mame or other versions.

brunosilva
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brunosilva » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:56 pm

"Darksoft pack is superior to mame"
is superior because it has unencrypted roms... i think darksoft is based on mame :)

BlueLightning
Atariator
Atariator

Postby BlueLightning » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 pm

i think so too. Darksoft uses unencrypted Rom Sets. I mean with nonmame darksofts pack. I got only memory errors if more RAM is needed (waiting for my 128 MB modul) But no graphic glitches or anything else. Works like a charme :-) Yesterday i got an E-Mail from Analog they release a new device with fpga in portable style. Like an gameboy, adapters will be available for other systems like ATARI Lynx, can't wait for that. I got some cadriges and an old Lynx first Gen. Hope to see Lynx on the Mister too. Would be great, the System isn't so complex like an Neo Geo ;-)

The Neo Geo CD wasn't a good system, so don't expect too much! Long long long loading times and the Games wasn't as good as the MVS and AES Systems. They ripped much out of the Games for the CD Versions.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:38 pm

brunosilva wrote:"Darksoft pack is superior to mame"
is superior because it has unencrypted roms... i think darksoft is based on mame :)

In a sense everything is "based on" mame because they just use raw ROMs most of the time without making any effort to make them usable or encapsulated. Darksoft decrypts and pre-patchs the roms, while mame does all that same stuff hidden internally. Darksoft also uses nicely standardized names. All in all it's a much more appealing set to use.

Mlaurito
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Mlaurito » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:21 pm

BlueLightning wrote:i think so too. Darksoft uses unencrypted Rom Sets. I mean with nonmame darksofts pack. I got only memory errors if more RAM is needed (waiting for my 128 MB modul) But no graphic glitches or anything else. Works like a charme :-) Yesterday i got an E-Mail from Analog they release a new device with fpga in portable style. Like an gameboy, adapters will be available for other systems like ATARI Lynx, can't wait for that. I got some cadriges and an old Lynx first Gen. Hope to see Lynx on the Mister too. Would be great, the System isn't so complex like an Neo Geo ;-)

The Neo Geo CD wasn't a good system, so don't expect too much! Long long long loading times and the Games wasn't as good as the MVS and AES Systems. They ripped much out of the Games for the CD Versions.

This is not the place, but saying NGCD was a bad console due to load times is a bit shallow, late to the party yes, but most games played exactly the same than AES, despite the frequent loading time for more recent fighting games. For people back in the day meant having an affordable machine without outrageous pricing.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:40 pm

I just noticed that Far East of Eden: Kabuki Klash has graphics glitches (I use 128MB RAM).

Nuclear3D
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Nuclear3D » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:49 am

Not sure if this is the topic to ask in but has anyone found a good way to use any neo geo controller with mister like the cd controllers ?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 am

I use the Neo-Geo-Dapter from this page:
http://www.2600-daptor.com/

Return to “MiSTer”