markun
Atarian
Atarian

MiSTery Atari ST/STe core

Postby markun » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:54 pm

I see that there is an open source Atari ST/STe core available for MiST:

https://github.com/gyurco/MiSTery
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=37297

Is anyone looking into porting it to the MiSTer? (I'm not volunteering :wink:)

It's using the FX68K CPU core from ijor.

I could have posted in the FX CAST Atari ST thread, but didn't want to hijack it since this is about a different core.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: MiSTery Atari ST/STe core

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:48 pm

I know about this core. Will try to port it later.

markun
Atarian
Atarian

Postby markun » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:04 am

Thanks Sorgelig, that is great news.

sandokan2
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sandokan2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks a lot Sorgelig.

I want to see this core in miSTer.

witchmaster
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby witchmaster » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Looking forward to this one also (since the FX Cast core seems to be a lost cause).

Milongero
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Milongero » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:40 pm

I would be very happy if the Atari STe would finally come true.
I've been waiting a long time to finally play "Obsession Pinball" again - just like 25 years ago.

I had a 1040STe with TOS 1.6

At the moment I always have to dig up the MIST FPGA and a CRT first.

Greetings Lutz

goran
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby goran » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:49 pm

Why do You need CRT for MiST? It works with VGA LCD monitors just fine.

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Hello, any news on this core?

kublai
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kublai » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:50 pm

Looking forward to this core as well.

flain
Atari User
Atari User

Postby flain » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Me three. I still use my real ST via OSSC because i want to use HDMI and the current fxcast core is forced 16:9 over HDMI - the biggest sin in retro gaming is 4:3 stretched to 16:9 :/

I really don't like the joystick port issues on my real ST but at least the screen is right.

comatron
Atariator
Atariator

Postby comatron » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:57 pm

id love that too. i like the fxcast but no pal crt on vga/rgb makes me sad. have to use the st with a gotek on crt

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Estrayk » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 pm

Waiting for this too. :angel:
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・MISTer・

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Hope Will ported soon :cheers:

rondc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby rondc » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Waiting , really happy ! :cheers:

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Is anyone really working on porting this core? It would be such a great addition to MiSTer to have an Atari ST-Core which is more on par with the recent capabilities of MiSTer than the FX-Cast core.

Before someone comments: I personally lack all required skills for this task. I can only express my hopes...and donate some money :oops:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Advanced system such as Atari ST needs dedicated developer. Developer who knows ST at some level to know how to test and fix small problems while porting.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Yes I can only imagine the amount of work it takes. Let’s hope that someone with enough love and dedication for the ST (and the skills) is willing to invest his time.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 am

I will port the core. Just need to find the time. Hopefully shortly :)
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:14 am

That would be brilliant, Ijor! Crossing my fingers that 15kHz mode will be possible :wink:

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:03 pm

I know about the original ST core for Mist, and now this second core Mistery, which I hear is cycle accurate if I'm not mistaken. It is nice to see this may get ported to MiSTer as well.

Wasn't there some original ST core for Mister though? Was that the FX one? The main MiSTer page seems without ANY ST core. I may have missed any news on why, but since the Atari ST is the 'ST' in MiSTer along with Amiga's minimig core, it just surprised me. I'm only guessing from this thread. Is it that the FX core needs updating, but now that Mistery is the best ST core (IF that is correct) in FPGA, it just made sense to take down the original core for the eventual Mistery port to MiSTer?

dowdle
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dowdle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Yes, the fxcast core is the current Atari ST core. According to its creator, it has very specific design goals... a cycle-accurate 68000 (8MHz I believe), all of the support chips provided in the original ST model... with TOS 1.0 baked-in. What it does, it does very well as the vast majority of games and demos run on it very well... just like the real thing.

Of course there are some of us wanting more... hard disk (image) support... more RAM (fxcast originally was 1MB only but has since moved to up to 4MB), maybe a more powerful flavor of 68k at a higher clock speed... and definitely the ability to run different ROMs, OS flavors (TOS, MultiTOS, MiNT, Geneva/Neodesk, etc)... and especially more of a focus of using it as a computer in addition to a game machine and demo runner. I don't think we could get a 68030-based Falcon clone is probably asking for too much. MiniMig has 68020.

I ran an Atari ST system (several different models) from 1985 to about 1996. I had a CD-ROM drive and removable media hard disks (similar to ZIP/Jazz drives but different) working with my Atari without any real hardware hackery. We only had dialup BBS and pay service access. I very fondly remember CompuServ and GEnie's Atari sections and the offline readers we had. I ran MichTron BBS for a while and later FoRuM ST on the FidoNet-like network they had... and the QWK offline message readers. I never got ethernet nor TCP/IP working on the Atari but I know some people did.

After having written all of that, I'd say there are three distinct directions:
1) Preserving the Atari ST as a gaming machine (fxcast is very close)
2) Providing support for the wider range of hardware and capabilities that were provided by later Atari models and firmware
3) Extending beyond the original to provide a somewhat more modern environment

I guess #3 is sort-of-like wanting to revive the platform for a very niche market (hundreds maybe thousands?) of people who might want that. I see that as the roll that MiniMig is doing for Amiga users... but I'd be very happy with the move to #2 if the MiSTery core is something that could provide that.

I have been fairly happy with the Hatari software-based emulator running on top of Linux but getting a quality FPGA implementation is desirable. I would be willing to donate money if someone were to do a crowd-funding effort for such a project. A am not a programmer nor a EE/ECE student/grad so no needed skills to help out.

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 am

dowdle wrote:Yes, the fxcast core is the current Atari ST core. According to its creator, it has very specific design goals... a cycle-accurate 68000 (8MHz I believe), all of the support chips provided in the original ST model... with TOS 1.0 baked-in. What it does, it does very well as the vast majority of games and demos run on it very well... just like the real thing.

It actually has some nasty bugs.. one being the odd default video mode the core has, on many monitors (mine included) it fails to produce a compatible signal so you cant even see the core output or even mister menu, nada, nothing. just (on my display a floating box saying INVALID SIGNAL) .. i had to blindly .. by keypress alone (provided by someone telling me which keys to press in what order) force the 60hz display mode.. it also defaults to 16x9 and doesnt respect aspect ratio (both of these are due to its lack of supporting the now common mister frame buffer).. It lacks disk-writes, locked in UK TOS 1.0 (would be nice to have the option to use US TOS 1.0 or others etc) .. and a slew of other things.. while yes its cycle accurate its broken in many many ways.. and without the source being published, no one can take up addressing these faults unfortunately. .. the author seems to have lost interest or has had other life issues crop up (which happens)..

personally id rather have a working less accurate open source core than an accurate, closed source, incomplete/fundamentally broken core we got now.

Lastly, Sorgelig is correct in saying that a complex system like the Atari ST needs someone who understands it at a deep level.. right now I dont think there is anyone out there who does and has time to do it.

Return to “MiSTer”