Help! How do I prevent the display being stretched when connected to a 16:9 display over VGA?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

straddle
Retro freak
Retro freak

Help! How do I prevent the display being stretched when connected to a 16:9 display over VGA?

Postby straddle » Sat May 11, 2019 1:45 pm

I've just got my MiSTer working for the first time. It's great to be able to use an Amiga again after all these years. Not to mention Mega Drive and SNES games. :)

One question. I have hooked the MiSTer up to an older widescreen display which only has a DVI input - I am using a DVI to VGA cable to connect them. The issue with this is that the 4:3 signal from the MiSTer is stretched to 16:9. I have already tried the MiSter over HDMI on my TV but was intending to use it more as a desktop setup most of the time. I know that over HDMI I can switched the display between 4:3 and 16:9 but is there a way to do the same with VGA? Is this possible? I hope so since I don't have a 4:3 VGA display any more....

PS What is the switch for on the I/O board? I can't find any information on what it does!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Help! How do I prevent the display being stretched when connected to a 16:9 display over VGA?

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 11, 2019 1:59 pm

For analog output there is no way to change the aspect ratio from the MiSTer side. It will require the scaler. Actually you can use vga_scaler INI option so you will be able to control the aspect ratio.

Actually you need to look into your TV settings. Many TVs have aspect ratio control in the settings.

MartinW
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Help! How do I prevent the display being stretched when connected to a 16:9 display over VGA?

Postby MartinW » Sat May 11, 2019 9:44 pm

straddle wrote:PS What is the switch for on the I/O board? I can't find any information on what it does!

If you are referring to the switch labelled "SOG" (which I guess you are since it is the only one?) then it stands for "Sync On Green" or Sync Over Green. Some monitors expect the sync and green signals to be combined but most do not. So most of the time it does very little if anything, probably just making the picture a little more green than it otherwise would. Let's put it this way, if you have a monitor that needs it, you'll probably already know about it.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 12, 2019 7:44 pm

It's mostly for YPbPr output. So, it's SOG and SOY.

Lroby74
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Lroby74 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:38 pm

You can't use an HDMI (from Mister) to DVI (to monitor) cable? my friend use this cable and is perfect

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrOG » Mon May 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Lroby74 wrote:You can't use an HDMI (from Mister) to DVI (to monitor) cable? my friend use this cable and is perfect

It depends on the exact type of the DVI connector and the cable's pinout:
DVI-I means 'integrated', combines digital and analog in the same connector; digital may be single or dual link.
DVI-D is digital only, single link or dual link.
DVI-A is analog only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 13, 2019 3:43 pm

if monitor/TV has DVI then at least it should support digital video. Otherwise it would have more common VGA connector.

Return to “MiSTer”