RFE: box art, manual scans

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

RFE: box art, manual scans

Postby jemismyname » Thu May 09, 2019 8:24 pm

i have a possible RFE for mister... it would be really sweet if there could be box art and maybe manual scans to associate with each rom for each game. not sure what that would entail... maybe if there was a way to automatically search out artwork, also, like the way you can do with the NES classic edition/hakchi mod. that would be super useful...

djmartins
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: RFE: box art, manual scans

Postby djmartins » Fri May 10, 2019 3:43 pm

jemismyname wrote:i have a possible RFE for mister... it would be really sweet if there could be box art and maybe manual scans to associate with each rom for each game. not sure what that would entail... maybe if there was a way to automatically search out artwork, also, like the way you can do with the NES classic edition/hakchi mod. that would be super useful...

Why would that be useful?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat May 11, 2019 2:51 am

It's just to make it look like a modern emulator front end. It is purely esthetic. I wonder if the OSD could be made to show screenshots, but that may probably be major work.

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jemismyname » Sat May 11, 2019 2:55 am

@djmartins:

I mean, if you wanted art, and the mister interface could just search the internet for art for you, then you wouldn't have to do it yourself. if you have ever used hakchi on (S)NES classic, it does this image search for you, and it very much simplifies having the box art for each game.

As for why box art would be useful... well, sometimes, you have a plethora of games on a retro games console, and you just plain can't remember what half of them are... especially if they are japanese titles and you don't speak japanese... so i find that the box art always helps to jog my memory for the rarer titles, and it adds to the overall experience of playing games on this type of platform.

djmartins
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby djmartins » Sun May 12, 2019 5:36 am

Newsdee wrote:It's just to make it look like a modern emulator front end. It is purely esthetic. I wonder if the OSD could be made to show screenshots, but that may probably be major work.

This is not an emulator.
I prefer new cores and core improvements over making it look like RetroPie....

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon May 13, 2019 1:47 am

djmartins wrote:This is not an emulator.
I prefer new cores and core improvements over making it look like RetroPie....

I agree it's not worth the effort at this time, it looks like cores would all need work just to accept an external image (as they control the display). That said, it's still a nice to have.

What I can suggest as alternative is to have curated ROM folders tied to some external device or media. For example one can print a catalogue scan and use it as reference:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RefqidpcIH0/T ... 739995.jpg

Another example is to have folders with games for the NES classic and one for the FC classic.

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jemismyname » Tue May 14, 2019 4:16 am

it's just annoying when you have a ton of japanese roms, and no way to know what the hell is what unless, you just happen to remember the game is called. This actually happened to me just yesterday. i was playing some japanese famicom game that was just great, but then i forgot what the name of it was. it took me half an hour of loading rom after rom after rom... basically every famicom rom i had before i found the one that i was playing.

really has nothing to do with the retropi. I'm not a fan of that platform either. that's why i use this one.

I like the suggestion of making my own sears catalog, tho. haha. those things were super fun to look at.

I guess I could also just learn japanese.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 am

I can relate. Some months ago (in MiST days) I was helping out Sebdel test his improvements to the NES core, and I found a lot of weird and interesting games... I wish I wrote down what they were!

djmartins
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby djmartins » Wed May 15, 2019 4:28 am

Newsdee wrote:I can relate. Some months ago (in MiST days) I was helping out Sebdel test his improvements to the NES core, and I found a lot of weird and interesting games... I wish I wrote down what they were!

I just google stuff if I must.
My problem is running out of sdcard space for the games and programs!
:D

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 am

djmartins wrote:I just google stuff if I must.
My problem is running out of sdcard space for the games and programs!
:D

I haven't tried it but there is an option to connect to a network drive (CIFS)... then you can have unlimited space for games.

Return to “MiSTer”