Monitors supporting vsync_adjust=2

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Monitors supporting vsync_adjust=2

Postby R4MS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:33 pm

I recently bought a Philips 246E9QJAB 24" freesync monitor. It syncs 50 and 60 Hz on Minimig and C64, but at 50 Hz it takes roughly a second to adjust to changes of the resolution. With only 2kg (including speakers) it's still semi-mobile while being a fully featured desktop monitor.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 pm

brNX wrote:for my dev monitor I'm using one that I built from a 15.1"(?) laptop lcd (1366x768) with one of those ebay/aliexpress lcd controller boards, something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LCD-Controller-Board-HDMI-DVI-VGA-Audio-PC-Module-Kit-For-15-6-Inch-Display/32762452822.html, everything I tried has worked with vsync_adjust=2, the board also accepts higher resolution input and downscales it to 1366x768. Sound is also fine.

Same results with the 14" laptop screen that comes with my Pandora's Box arcade laptop: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=36741

It's a 1366x768 that accepts 1080p. SNES on vsync_adjust=2 looks buttery smooth, I can't get enough looking at the shadows in Fatal Fury 2 Special (they flicker alternatively to give a transparency effect, so any frame lag is noticeable).

One downside is when the resolution or frequency changes it takes a few seconds to sync, which feels longer than the normal vsync mode. It happens when switching games on the SNES and Genesis cores. But I haven't come across a situation where it interferes with gameplay yet (granted I haven't tried many games).

Other downside is brightness is a bit high, and I can't change settings unless I wire some buttons to show and control the OSD for the panel (I may be able to find a compatibke piece) Also as a TN panel, viewing angles aren't as good as IPS.

Here is one page that lists it: https://www.amazon.com/5D10K81099-14-0- ... B07HB89N5P

quack75
Atarian
Atarian

Postby quack75 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Just bought this monitor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Inch-FHD-10 ... 2806367666

received today and pretty much surprised the quality! Panel is anti-glare, notebook quality. Not the mirror-like crap used in almost any Chinese monitor.
This monitor happily supports vsync_adjust=2 in both PAL and NTSC. Even smooth in 48Hz cores like ZX.
VGA input also supports pretty much everything when it doublescaned (~31KHz). So the same 48Hz doublescan ZX core looks great!

Bonus: the case inside is pretty much empty - so should be able to fit bare DE10-nano inside. So with some customization it's possible to embed it. MiSTer tablet :)

P.S.: i'm not sure if this monitor is the same in every seller selling the same looking monitor.

Hi Sorgelig,

I just bought the same monitor you bought on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Inch-FHD-10 ... 2806367666
I bought it from the same seller than you.

Did you test it using HDMI ? Because it doesn't work with my mister : "No Signal".

I tested this monitor with another device (NT mini) : it does work

This isn't the first monitor that I cannot use with the mister. Actually, the only monitor working with the HDMI output of the mister is my main computer screen.

Do you think my mister HDMI output is working properly ?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:55 am

quack75 wrote:Did you test it using HDMI ? Because it doesn't work with my mister : "No Signal".

It works ok with HDMI for me.
Make sure you use 1920x1080 resolution while you testing.
Actually this monitor works with any resolution i've tried, but for testing purpose i recommend to start from 1920x1080@60.

I found one nasty bug in this monitor. It tears the video on 50Hz. It locks fine to any input frequency, so the scrolls are always smooth, but more the input frequency far from 60Hz larger part of screen on the top outputs from previous frame. So on 50Hz it output about 1/4 of height from previous frame, and you see the tearing. It looks like monitor firmware bug.

As with most made in China products, the internal circuit may differ from monitor to monitor even if it's claimed to be the same part number. Basically this monitor is supposed to be a DIY device. So it's possible the controller board is different inside your monitor. My observation of bug above may or may not apply to your monitor.

quack75
Atarian
Atarian

Postby quack75 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:57 pm

I think it's not the monitor's fault. I think my mister is responsible. The HDMI output doesn't work with A LOT of monitors with the same reason "no signal". I think the HDMI output is somehow broken, but I don't get why it does work with some monitors...

I think I'm going to contact amazon for a replacement of my de10-nano board.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Try different HDMI cables. If you use any HDMI splitter/switcher or something like AV receiver - they also may affect the compatibility. So test with direct connection from MiSTer to monitor.

quack75
Atarian
Atarian

Postby quack75 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Already done unfortunately and it makes no difference.
I made a bunch of tests : tested all resolution/refresh rates, tested different HDMI cables, tested different monitors...
I know it's hard to believe... Maybe something related to the EDID negociation...
Only my main monitor is working with this board. All other monitor I tried don't detect the signal.
I don't use any HDMI splitter/switcher, just a cable between the DE10-nano and the monitor.

Just to say, the "raw" DE-10 nano with the default terasic microsd doesn't display anything at boot. So at the very least I'm sure my issue is not related to the MiSTer addon boards (sdram, ioboard, hub, ...). It's just my DE10-nano that doesn't send any signal.

I already contacted terasic for a replacement. I'm really out of luck :(

quack75
Atarian
Atarian

Postby quack75 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Well I finally found one HDMI cable that is working...
But why only the monster HDMI cable is working ? All other HDMI cables that are not working with the MiSTer DO work with all my other devices (super NT, apple TV, playstation 4, ...)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:45 pm

No idea.
I've used many cables and didn't find any non-working. My current setup uses HDMI switch which also works fine.

quack75
Atarian
Atarian

Postby quack75 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:32 pm

maybe some kind of "weak output" from my DE10-nano HDMI chip

I just discovered that the signal strength can be adjusted on the raspberry pi using CONFIG_HDMI_BOOST.
Unfortunately, nothing equivalent seems available for the ADV7513 chip used on the DE10-nano

flain
Atari User
Atari User

Postby flain » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:35 am

Should we also post TVs in this thread?

I just tested my Samsung MU7000 82 and it works on vsync_adjust=2 on every core i tested (almost all of them including ZX Spectrum), I've got a bunch of sony TVs i can test too.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 am

Newsdee wrote:Same results with the 14" laptop screen that comes with my Pandora's Box arcade laptop: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=36741

It's a 1366x768 that accepts 1080p.

After further testing, it does not accept 50hz display frequencies. Is it possible to override the vsync setting per core?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Newsdee wrote:
Newsdee wrote:Same results with the 14" laptop screen that comes with my Pandora's Box arcade laptop: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=36741

It's a 1366x768 that accepts 1080p.

After further testing, it does not accept 50hz display frequencies. Is it possible to override the vsync setting per core?

sure. Any ini setting can be overridden per core.
Also recent MiSTer versions accept pal-only or ntsc-only vsync_adjust.

Xnyle
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xnyle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Now that I tested different HDMI switches&monitors I'm pretty sure that this is a power supply problem:

HDMI signal is generally extremely weak, depending on used monitor and used power supply I either get a signal, get a signal which is interrupted now and then or no signal at all. Some monitors cope better with weak signal others don't.

If I use longer cables, problem gets worse.
If I use a switch in between, problem gets much worse.
If I connect ethernet cable which has its own 5V supply problem gets sometimes less worse (ethernet plugged -> image, unplugged -> no image)

But even if I use the official 3A raspberry4 power those "power supply" problem persist.

Is there nothing to boost the HDMI signal on this board?

It is barely usable in the current state.

I'm also thinking about using an adjustable power supply and test what happens at 5,2V.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:47 pm

If signal would really so weak, then many users should complain. Currently only you complain. So it means it's something special in your case. Probably your de10 is defective.

Xnyle
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xnyle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Yeah, might be, think I ruled out other components now that I tested 4 monitors, 3 different switches and numerous power supplies.
Have other problems as well such as intermittent eternet connection and even intermittent keyboard some time.
Already contacted mouser, hope they don't make it too complicated for me.

Xnyle
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xnyle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Just to report back:

most likely this was indeed a board defect.
They were so kind and send me another one.
A quick tests revealed none of the previously discovered faults.

rsn8887
Atariator
Atariator

Postby rsn8887 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:54 pm

I recently bought this freesync monitor to use with Mister:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JF8DQZJ
LG 22MK430H-B 21.5-Inch Full HD Monitor with AMD FreeSync, Black

I love it! It works great with vsync_adjust=2. And I can connect my speakers to the headphone connector on the back.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Got a Samsung C24FG73 (a little too big to my taste, I wish the picture looked less blocky) but it does work properly with vsync_adjust=2 (and 50 Hz). That's pretty cool ! Except, it frequently "looses" sync (and gets it back after 1 second) after each screenmode change it seems (on Minimig for instance). (It displays "HDMI 1" twice after each screenmode change ; black screen in this short period of time and no sound). That's not really bad as it doesn't occur during gameplay. Except in very specific cases like multiball in flippers !

If you have an idea on how to work around this I'm interested ;)
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

c0d3h4x0r
Atarian
Atarian

Postby c0d3h4x0r » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:46 am

Sorgelig wrote:If signal would really so weak, then many users should complain. Currently only you complain. So it means it's something special in your case. Probably your de10 is defective.

It's not only him -- I have the same problem with my MiSTer. It frequently causes either my HDMI switch to freak out, or (when I bypass the switch) my Sharp AQUOS HDTV to lose sync, or both, depending upon the length and quality of the HDMI cable I'm using. None of the other devices (including Raspberry Pi 3B+) hooked up to the same exact inputs have any issues like this. I too have replaced my power supply with one of the 3A Raspberry Pi power supplies in hopes of providing a little more power, but still experience the same issue.

Another thing worth noting -- when the HDMI is struggling and desyncing, a secondary symptom is that memtest claims my 128GB SDRAM is only stable at 120. To get it to be stable at 140, I have to swap out the HDMI cable for a shorter one.

And there's a third symptom also: when the HDMI is struggling and desyncing, then sometimes my USB wifi dongle or my USB Bluetooth dongle (or both) will randomly fail to work (their little icons just never appear in the top bar of the MiSTer menu).

All of these things taken together suggest to me that the overall power delivery is insufficient. I'm thinking about trying an even higher-amperage supply, and possibly a *slightly* higher voltage supply, to see if that cures things.

c0d3h4x0r
Atarian
Atarian

Postby c0d3h4x0r » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:50 am

Xnyle wrote:Just to report back:

most likely this was indeed a board defect.
They were so kind and send me another one.
A quick tests revealed none of the previously discovered faults.

Interesting. I'm having a bunch of the same issues that you reported, but I'm way past my warranty/return policy, I'm sure. So I guess I'll just try ordering another one. :shrug:

Return to “MiSTer”