https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

robdaemon
Atariator
Atariator

Changing the root password?

Postby robdaemon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 am

Hi there,

I tried to change my root password on the MiSTer after logging in, and after a reboot, I could no longer login.

After the reboot, it was attempting to force me to change the password again but would not complete the change. I ended up backing up my SD card and running the installer again.

Attached is a screenshot from putty when I did it.

I'd really like to change this password - I don't like leaving things on my network with a default password.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fry
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Changing the root password?

Postby fry » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:15 am

How did you change it? The normal method ("passwd" command) worked fine for me.

Better yet, just disable password logins in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and use an SSH key.

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 am

Just for your info: if you want to harden MiSTer Linux a bit, you could try security_fixes.sh here https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Scripts_MiSTer or already in your /media/fat/#Scripts if you use the updater. As usual: use it at your own risk and don’t blame me if you lock yourself out or if your MiSTer gets self conscious and starts a war against the human race.
Anyway passwd obviously works and copying linux.img from the installer on the SD reverts back all Linux changes.

Regards.

Locutus73

robdaemon
Atariator
Atariator

Postby robdaemon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:14 pm

fry wrote:How did you change it? The normal method ("passwd" command) worked fine for me.

Better yet, just disable password logins in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and use an SSH key.

I used passwd - it worked fine until a reboot.

robdaemon
Atariator
Atariator

Postby robdaemon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Locutus73 wrote:Anyway passwd obviously works and copying linux.img from the installer on the SD reverts back all Linux changes

passwd doesn't obviously work, as that's how I got into this situation to begin with.

I didn't know about copying the linux.img over though, that helps a lot. I'll try out the security script you mentioned too.

Thanks!

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:11 pm

robdaemon wrote:
Locutus73 wrote:Anyway passwd obviously works and copying linux.img from the installer on the SD reverts back all Linux changes

passwd doesn't obviously work, as that's how I got into this situation to begin with.

That’s really weird.

robdaemon wrote:I didn't know about copying the linux.img over though, that helps a lot. I'll try out the security script you mentioned too.

Thanks!

Let us know how it ends, the script uses passwd as well.

Regards.

Locutus73

Return to “MiSTer”