Has the HT1080z/TRS80 Model I core been ported from mist? (not coco)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Has the HT1080z/TRS80 Model I core been ported from mist? (not coco)

Postby DrOG » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:26 am

alanswx wrote:To get it to work in the ht1080z we need to implement a bunch of hardware on the Tandy side. I am working on other things now. See if the original core author wants to do it.

Hi!

I asked the original author (József László), who is currently not interested in improving his cores.

Feel free to add the desired features, the source code is public.

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 pm

DrOG wrote:
alanswx wrote:To get it to work in the ht1080z we need to implement a bunch of hardware on the Tandy side. I am working on other things now. See if the original core author wants to do it.

Hi!

I asked the original author (József László), who is currently not interested in improving his cores.

Feel free to add the desired features, the source code is public.

I released the core in the official repository after upgrading to the latest "sys" (scaler, etc)

truckweb
Atarian
Atarian

Postby truckweb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:22 am

Cool core! Any chance for a Coco3 ?

http://www.davebiz.com/wiki/CoCo3FPGA

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 am

alanswx wrote:
DrOG wrote:
alanswx wrote:I released the core in the official repository after upgrading to the latest "sys" (scaler, etc)

Awesome thank you !!!

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:56 am

truckweb wrote:Cool core! Any chance for a Coco3 ?

Contact the dev and see if they know of MiSTer and are interested in porting it.

Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lodovic » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:27 am

Is there a way to save a typed-in BASIC program on the HT1080z core? I've checked the original dev site and Mist forum but found nothing.

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrOG » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Writing to SD card is not supported in case of the original MiST version AFAIK.

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:13 pm

Lodovic wrote:Is there a way to save a typed-in BASIC program on the HT1080z core? I've checked the original dev site and Mist forum but found nothing.

Interesting. Load is implemented. Not save.

Alan

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Tape saving is not implemented in any core (if you don't count the save beeps via audio out). Also not trivial, since the file length is not known until you finish the save. Solution: a disk system. AFAIK most disk interfaces for TRS80 is just the well-known WD1772+some ROM with DOS.

azesmbog
Atariator
Atariator

Postby azesmbog » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:46 am

slingshot wrote: Solution: a disk system. AFAIK most disk interfaces for TRS80 is just the well-known WD1772+some ROM with DOS.

For the sake of truth, I want to note that there is SDOS for downloading .CAS files from an SD card
With a great desire, apparently you can teach to download and .BAS files and save them in the same way. Well, this is absolutely for true connoisseurs :) :D

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 am

djmartins wrote:
truckweb wrote:Cool core! Any chance for a Coco3 ?

Contact the dev and see if they know of MiSTer and are interested in porting it.

It already exists, you just need to google for it, as the source is not "open" its not listed here.. but its out there as an "unofficial" core. As the coco is a wholly different machine (different CPU, etc) its really not part of this discussion which is about the z80 cpu based, B&W TRS 80 models .. but go look and you will find it.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm

I did find it and got it loaded and running.
Thanks!
Seems like it has been worked on a bit and runs most of what I've tried so far.

tcdev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tcdev » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:44 pm

I have a quite complete TRS-80 Model I core with a few different hires boards implemented on a proprietary platform. The FDD was implemented, but using raw I/O (so not much good for MiSTer) and also the IDE interface with Peter Bartlett ROM extensions as well (booting LDOS from CF) again on proprietary hardware.

When I get settled into MiSTer and find my way around, I'll port this core to MiSTer, with floppy/hard disk image support.

I also have a CoCo1/2 core with IDE interface as well (again CF card).

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:31 pm

tcdev wrote:When I get settled into MiSTer and find my way around, I'll port this core to MiSTer, with floppy/hard disk image support.

A CoCo 1/2 MiSTer core would be great. :D

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:33 pm

tcdev wrote:I have a quite complete TRS-80 Model I core with a few different hires boards implemented on a proprietary platform. The FDD was implemented, but using raw I/O (so not much good for MiSTer) and also the IDE interface with Peter Bartlett ROM extensions as well (booting LDOS from CF) again on proprietary hardware.

When I get settled into MiSTer and find my way around, I'll port this core to MiSTer, with floppy/hard disk image support.

I am happy to help with the ports.

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 am

NML32 wrote:
tcdev wrote:When I get settled into MiSTer and find my way around, I'll port this core to MiSTer, with floppy/hard disk image support.

A CoCo 1/2 MiSTer core would be great. :D

coco3 mister core already exists (unofficially anyway .. you can google for it, it currently does not work with 128mb ram as it uses the older framework)

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:59 am

tcdev wrote:I have a quite complete TRS-80 Model I core with a few different hires boards implemented on a proprietary platform. The FDD was implemented, but using raw I/O (so not much good for MiSTer) and also the IDE interface with Peter Bartlett ROM extensions as well (booting LDOS from CF) again on proprietary hardware.

Oh that would be good .. an updated TRS80 Model I core would be great.. perhaps you could add a serial port interface to the MidiLink mitster api? (it can implement a serial port connected midi soft instrument OR more usefully, a software emulated WiFi hayes modem .. for calling internet BBSs over the internet!, the soft device is already implemented on the mister linux side, many existing cores use it like the c64 core, the amiga core, AtariFX core, etc)

There is a coco3 mister core (unofficial) but the sources are not open .. and its out of date at this point.

Higgy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Higgy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 pm

I guess/hope this work could then be flowed into a Dragon 32/64 Core. I think this is one of the last 'popular' / main stream home computers yet to be represented on FPGA.
Its hardware is very similar.

tcdev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tcdev » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:56 am

ericgus wrote:coco3 mister core already exists (unofficially anyway .. you can google for it, it currently does not work with 128mb ram as it uses the older framework)

Yes, that's Roger Taylor's core and IIUC he's focused on his own hardware platform rather than MiSTer.

Threre's another CoCo3 implementation by Gary Becker that - IIRC - is open source. It is targeted to the old DE1 hardware and supports a popular add-on board for analogue joysticks, more RAM, RTC and WiFi module. I have a couple of these set-ups myself. That might be a more feasible starting point for a MiSTer port if it is indeed (still) open source.

Years ago I had designs on my own implementation after my Coco2 but, like many other projects, got put on the back-burner because there was always something else to do!

tcdev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tcdev » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:57 am

Higgy wrote:I guess/hope this work could then be flowed into a Dragon 32/64 Core. I think this is one of the last 'popular' / main stream home computers yet to be represented on FPGA.

Yes you could likely use the same core for both.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BigMac740p » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 pm

tcdev wrote:
Higgy wrote:I guess/hope this work could then be flowed into a Dragon 32/64 Core. I think this is one of the last 'popular' / main stream home computers yet to be represented on FPGA.

Yes you could likely use the same core for both.

I would really appreciate having a Dragon/Coco core....

tcdev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tcdev » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:00 am

BigMac740p wrote:I would really appreciate having a Dragon/Coco core....

I'll look at porting my core and adding Dragon support after I've done Irem M62...

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 am

tcdev wrote:Yes, that's Roger Taylor's core and IIUC he's focused on his own hardware platform rather than MiSTer.

The one nice thing about Rogers core is that he added support for the Midilink stuff in Mister, so its like having wifi virtual rs232 modem support .. and of course you can set it to midi too .. but it was nice, could run term programs and connect to old school internet BBSs.. Would be nice to have that in any alternate cores, I used that function most of all ..

Higgy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Higgy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:17 pm

tcdev wrote:
BigMac740p wrote:I would really appreciate having a Dragon/Coco core....

I'll look at porting my core and adding Dragon support after I've done Irem M62...

That would be great. I dont have my Dragons anymore.
They had analogue joysticks but most games were ZX Spectrum ports so digital is fine. I made adapters from Web instructions to use Atari standard compatible joysticks and games ran fine. BBC Micro also had those nasty floppy analogue joysticks, ok they were good for playing Elite!

dshadoff
Atari User
Atari User

Postby dshadoff » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:48 am

I've just sent a pull request with a minor update to the keyboard code.

- The 'CLEAR' key is used by many games, but was mapped to the 'keypad 7' key on the PS/2 keyboard (I use a keyboard on MiSTer without a keypad).
- Added some comments in that file to make PS/2 key <-> TRS-80 key mapping more obvious
- Added an assembly-language arcade game I wrote in 1982 (which nearly got published, but ultimately didn't). I am releasing it freely.

In terms of improvements, here are a few thoughts from my own experiences back then (I never had a disk system, but I agree that it would be a gigantic step up):

- lowercase font on screen (could be selectable)
- overclock (I had a switch installed on my system to run the system clock at 50% faster than normal)
- different amounts of memory (I had 48KB even without an Expansion Interface)
- It might be interesting to allow audio in/out for cassette, as well as the current method:
-> I recall using a program called "B-17" to get 1700 baud (even faster when overclocked), or the TC-8 for even higher speeds. B-17 was software, so it should still work (if you still have tapes old enough).

I might be able to help with some of this, but I'm currently tied up fixing some things on the PC Engine core for a while longer.

Return to “MiSTer”