"MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

"MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby seastalker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:33 pm

I saw this at RetroRGB: https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-pc-engi ... egins.html

Opens the door for the other cd based systems. Anyone hear any status updates?

ReedSolomon
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:52 am

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby ReedSolomon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:31 pm

seastalker wrote:I saw this at RetroRGB: https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-pc-engi ... egins.html

Opens the door for the other cd based systems. Anyone hear any status updates?


nothing yet. smokemonster was being a bit overenthusiastic considering all that technically began was people working on it. currently those working on it are still in the process of working on it but nothing is working yet, the code fork they're working on is available though if anyone wants to jump in. Basically don't hold your breath that it'll be ready any time soon but like everything with MiSTer you might wake up one day and find someone figured it out and it's working.

tl;dr nothing yet.

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby bitfan2011 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:51 pm

cd image loading should open many doors, including SEGA CD, PCE CD, FM-Towns, NeoGeo CD, Amiga CD32, etc..

gonna need to figure out how to load images off a USB source, for sure.

mister is going to become a monstah eventually 8O

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby seastalker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:25 am

The CD floodgates I patiently await bursting open. Agreed- probably not tomorrow, but one day I woke up, and the impossible Megadrive for Mist became real... I asked about Supergrafx and maybe a week later I'm greeted with a 'here you go'. I actually get excited about progress in FPGA only maybe 20% for selfish reasons. I rarely have time to actually PLAY the games except in rare binge moments. I enjoy the PROGRESS of what can be done even more. I'd like to think long after I'm passed, a record exists of how to recreate the time period's tech faithfully. 3d Printing will look less prototype and art students will print a flawless case for a FM TOWNS and complain it took 3 mins. :) For MY lifetime, I'd like to explore the FM Towns. I remember it in magazines and always wanted to try one out.

Now can someone clone an original 1975(?) IBM 5100 in case John Titor needs to save the universe? ;)

[Watch... one day John will save me from the rubble of a Terminator dystopia and with a gravel mouthed voice say, "Thanks for the Atari-Forum post, Seastalker..."] :) :)

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby bitfan2011 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:52 am

seastalker wrote:The CD floodgates I patiently await bursting open. Agreed- probably not tomorrow, but one day I woke up, and the impossible Megadrive for Mist became real... I asked about Supergrafx and maybe a week later I'm greeted with a 'here you go'. I actually get excited about progress in FPGA only maybe 20% for selfish reasons. I rarely have time to actually PLAY the games except in rare binge moments. I enjoy the PROGRESS of what can be done even more. I'd like to think long after I'm passed, a record exists of how to recreate the time period's tech faithfully. 3d Printing will look less prototype and art students will print a flawless case for a FM TOWNS and complain it took 3 mins. :) For MY lifetime, I'd like to explore the FM Towns. I remember it in magazines and always wanted to try one out.

Now can someone clone an original 1975(?) IBM 5100 in case John Titor needs to save the universe? ;)

[Watch... one day John will save me from the rubble of a Terminator dystopia and with a gravel mouthed voice say, "Thanks for the Atari-Forum post, Seastalker..."] :) :)


Yeah, the idea of being able to print a replacement case in the original style and then insert FPGA tech to recreate the internals. So sexy. Not sure how the keyboards can be reproduced - probably more likely to be salvaged and attached using a middleman board?

I don't actually play games that much these days, it's more the stimulation of being able to jump between so many different games. The history of VG development is super interesting to me. Plus, with FPGA, the games have such clean A/V that they actually look BETTER than my idealized memories from my youth.

When I try to sell people on Mister, I mention that the tech actually teaches you a ton about old AND new computers. Once you have the full stack of boards, you have so many I/O options that it's comical. A person could start a new career learning about FPGA design and also 3D printing. I need to get learning on the 3D printing front, fast.

I'm waiting for FM-Towns and X68K to one day be implemented. Both are expensive and rare and would be a dream using FPGA.

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1435
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby Newsdee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:08 pm

People are already making some alternative keyboards for original hardware, and there are some USB adaoters for thrm to use with the RPi.

What would be cool though is if somebody made a case with integrated mechanical keyboard. It may be a hassle to build though. Perhaps something like these: http://www.40percent.club/2016/09/?m=1

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4883
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:17 pm

CD implementation in one console gives absolutely NOTHING to other consoles.
There is no difference to read small file or big. Minimig core can have HDD image like 16GB or even bigger. So reading 700MB CD image is already possible. Problem is not in reading the image but emulating specific HW.
CD in PC Engine is pretty much simple as it's dummy SCSI CD storage.
Sega CD is completely different beast as it includes additional co-processor with big additional RAM. Other CD consoles include even more sophisticated HW, not just plain CD drive. And every console has its own unique HW not related to other consoles.

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby bitfan2011 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Sorgelig wrote:CD implementation in one console gives absolutely NOTHING to other consoles.
There is no difference to read small file or big. Minimig core can have HDD image like 16GB or even bigger. So reading 700MB CD image is already possible. Problem is not in reading the image but emulating specific HW.
CD in PC Engine is pretty much simple as it's dummy SCSI CD storage.
Sega CD is completely different beast as it includes additional co-processor with big additional RAM. Other CD consoles include even more sophisticated HW, not just plain CD drive. And every console has its own unique HW not related to other consoles.


Nice to hear PC-Engine CD will be easy :]

User avatar
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby kitrinx » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:17 pm

There's a few things that would be helpful for CD interaction main side, regardless. With this recent ALSA work, it seems like playing redbook audio might be best done by the arm side. In addition, creating a unified data interface for all the various cd formats would be enormously useful, as it's quite a hassle converting sets of iso/ccd/bin-cue/whatever into something else, as many of have experienced with things like Rhea/Phoebe that are picky about formats. Such things would be fairly universally handy.

But, like sorg said, most of the work is still going to be system specific and on the fpga side, not a one-size-fits-all thing.

User avatar
SmokeMonster
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby SmokeMonster » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:38 pm

I wasn't being over enthusiastic unless you ignored the article itself.
The work is at an early stage and Ash welcomes anyone to look at the code and help out. It could be weeks or months away from completion depending on the amount of support we can rally for it.

There has been zero movement on this since I posted that, so as I said, it's a long way away.

portions of the code to stream CD data will be similar across platforms.

I was told by the people working on it that ISO data streaming in one core would have implications in other cores. It's as simple as that. Getting PCE CD working does not automatically give you Sega CD :roll: Obviously, you still have to account for the extra hardware for Sega CD, etc. I naively assumed people understood the obvious things like that.

Sorgelig wrote:CD implementation in one console gives absolutely NOTHING to other consoles.

This is why I've steered away from writing MiSTer news. People can't, or won't, read. Or they take every tiny thing out of context in order to show off their "technical prowess" AKA dick waving. I mean, if I can't state that portions of code for streaming disc data would be useful in other cores, then I can't write anything.

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby bitfan2011 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 pm

SmokeMonster wrote:portions of the code to stream CD data will be similar across platforms.
I was told by the people working on it that ISO data streaming in one core would have implications in other cores. It's as simple as that. Getting PCE CD working does not automatically give you Sega CD :roll: Obviously, you still have to account for the extra hardware for Sega CD, etc. I naively assumed people understood the obvious things like that.

This is why I've steered away from writing MiSTer news. People can't, or won't, read. Or they take every tiny thing out of context in order to show off their "technical prowess" AKA dick waving. I mean, if I can't state that portions of code for streaming disc data would be useful in other cores, then I can't write anything.


I understood you, dude! I figured any progress with loading CD images would help other cores which also need to load CD images. That's all. I know different consoles have different hardware. I'm just excited to see CD titles playable!

BTW cheers for curating those flash cart packs, epic stuff

theimporter
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby theimporter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:14 am

Not to bring down the SEGA CD, but that system like most others add-ons were just that, add-ons. Hell, for me, the SEGA CD is mainly for Sonic CD and the Steam version I paid $1.37 CAD for is complete enough in my book. That being said, the PC-Engine CD-ROM add-on cannot be compared with any other add-ons for past consoles since the disc games made (in Japan anyway) the bulk of the entire PC-Engine game library.

Out of anything else console related, having PC-Engine CD-ROM running on the MiSTer is on top of my wish list (2nd spot would be GBA).

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby bitfan2011 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 am

theimporter wrote:Not to bring down the SEGA CD, but that system like most others add-ons were just that, add-ons. Hell, for me, the SEGA CD is mainly for Sonic CD and the Steam version I paid $1.37 CAD for is complete enough in my book. That being said, the PC-Engine CD-ROM add-on cannot be compared with any other add-ons for past consoles since the disc games made (in Japan anyway) the bulk of the entire PC-Engine game library.

Out of anything else console related, having PC-Engine CD-ROM running on the MiSTer is on top of my wish list (2nd spot would be GBA).


X68K, GBA, PCE-CD, NeoGeo (CD)
if they can pull these off on the current Mister setup, it will be awesome

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby seastalker » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:55 pm

I just had a crazy though unlikely idea. If the new Analogue MegaSG contains a built in expansion port to connect it to the Sega Cd and the Sega Cd outputs through the megadrive video out (in this case HDMI), if the Sega CD is too complex to make a core for on Mist or Mister (again, IF) - could an adapter board or cable potentially work to connect a real Sega Cd to a Mist(er)? If so, I envision it likely would be via a new optional expansion IO board for the Mister. Regardless of how people feel about the Sega Cd library (I'd love it for 'Heart of the Alien' personally), is this both a theoretical possibility.. and second, a RATIONAL one? It would look ugly to rig a Mister to either model Sega CD, and I'd feel bad for the one to make the adapter, only for a Sega Cd core to be released soon after. It's a crazy but fun idea.

I am really leaning towards adding a MISTER to my collection and keep my MIST for my VGA CRT. :)

theimporter
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby theimporter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:29 pm

bitfan2011 wrote:
theimporter wrote:Not to bring down the SEGA CD, but that system like most others add-ons were just that, add-ons. Hell, for me, the SEGA CD is mainly for Sonic CD and the Steam version I paid $1.37 CAD for is complete enough in my book. That being said, the PC-Engine CD-ROM add-on cannot be compared with any other add-ons for past consoles since the disc games made (in Japan anyway) the bulk of the entire PC-Engine game library.

Out of anything else console related, having PC-Engine CD-ROM running on the MiSTer is on top of my wish list (2nd spot would be GBA).


X68K, GBA, PCE-CD, NeoGeo (CD)
if they can pull these off on the current Mister setup, it will be awesome


X68K, that would be interesting, but being a Japanese only computer, the odds of someone outside of Japan loving this system and knowing how to make cores are very slim.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Salamanca, España

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby vanfanel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:02 am

seastalker wrote: (I'd love it for 'Heart of the Alien' personally)


No, no, c'mon man! Heart of the Alien? You HAVE to be kidding, tell me you are kidding. :lol:

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby seastalker » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:09 am

:) Not kidding. I loved the original game Another World/Out Of This World, so the game on CD for the audio is very cool. I actually enjoyed Heart Of The Alien - It was a cool exclusive sequel. I had to look up if it was universally hated by that comment though. It actually got good reviews back in the day. One of the creators disowned the sequel apparently - he had little involvement due to creative differences of the sequel being what it is instead of a replaying of the first through the POV of the alien. He doubtfully ever played through the sequel (I wouldn't have) from his work experience but that's neither here nor there. Not sure if I would have liked replaying the original as the alien. Give the sequel a chance - Get past the very beginning and it may grow on you. :)


djsquare
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 am

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby djsquare » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:09 pm

This is wonderful news. I would love to play through Ys again and maybe try out Ys IV with the english voices hack that came out not too long ago

User avatar
laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby laserdisc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:10 pm



I'm going to need a bigger boat.. er... sdcard :lol:

hernan43
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby hernan43 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:12 pm

laserdisc wrote:I'm going to need a bigger boat.. er... sdcard :lol:


Thankfully they are getting cheaper by the day.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby seastalker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Such fantastic news!!! Also, P.s. to smokemonster - I'm growing addicted to your live streams and seeing LonTv, RetroRGB and the rest in the mix. Great work and I hope Smokemonster gets first dibs on the PCEcore with cdsupport. This would all amount to the ultimate:

MiSTer = A Supergrafx clone with Cd-support, region-free, built in everdrive and RGB mod (ok, hdmi)

Glaurung
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:22 am

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby Glaurung » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:32 pm


aristogeiton
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 am

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby aristogeiton » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:18 pm


djmartins
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: "MiSTer PC Engine CD & TurboGrafx-CD Begins"

Postby djmartins » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:12 pm

aristogeiton wrote:Very excited about this!

https://github.com/brNX/TurboGrafx16CD_Mister

:cheers: :cheers:


Considering the size of the CDs and how many other files I have on my main card this core using the secondary SDcard would be great.


Return to “MiSTer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MysteryM and 5 guests