MiSTer updater script

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

esmith13
Atariator
Atariator

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby esmith13 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:53 pm

I would love it if someone would post the command(s) that would be placed in an "update.sh" to pull the latest script and run it.

I tried the command for putty but it didn't work.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:36 am

Lodovic wrote:Hi Locutus73!

Now that we can use the script menu in the OSD, I think I will use your one-line command update trick to create a script file that will always download and use your latest updater. Since I use the default options, is this a safe way to launch the updater? Can the OSD menu launch a script that launch another script without problems?

Thanks.

Absolutely safe, make a script like this

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

curl -ksLf https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer/blob/master/mister_updater.sh?raw=true | bash -

That’s the way I run it. In the future I’ll release a script like this with additional options and the ability to read an optional ini file and to produce a log file.

Regards.
Locutus73

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi, I just updated the mister_updater.sh script:
Version 1.4 - 2018.12.26 - Added DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES option: true for downloading new cores in the standard directories as previous script releases, false for not downloading new cores at all, a string value, i.e. "NewCores", for downloading new cores in the "NewCores" subdirectory.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer

Regards.
Locutus73

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:33 pm

New script:
Version 1.5 - 2018.12.27 - Reorganized user options; improved DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES option handling for paths with spaces; added ARCADE_HACKS_PATH parameter for defining a directory containing arcade hacks to be updated, each arcade hack is a subdirectory with the name starting like the rbf core with an underscore prefix (i.e. /media/fat/_Arcade/_Arcade Hacks/_BurgerTime - hack/).

Regards.
Locutus73

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Something is not working with the script today. I had it running on version 1.3.5 but updates did not trigger. I have now updated to 1.5 but the issues are the same. I only get this when I run the script:

# ./mister_update.sh
Checking SD-Installer-Win64
URL: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Installer-Win64_MiSTer
Nothing to update

Checking Main
URL: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer
Nothing to update

Checking Filters
URL: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Filters_MiSTer/tree/master/Filters

Checking palettes
URL: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Gameboy_MiSTer/tree/master/palettes

Done!

Last time I updated was December 25th, so there should be some updates. For some reason it does not show each core any longer when I run the script. Anything changed? I ran the script as downloaded - no changes from my end.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:31 pm

SaschaFFM wrote:Something is not working with the script today. I had it running on version 1.3.5 but updates did not trigger. I have now updated to 1.5 but the issues are the same. I only get this when I run the script:

# ./mister_update.sh
Checking SD-Installer-Win64
URL: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Installer-Win64_MiSTer
Nothing to update

Checking Main
URL: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer
Nothing to update

Checking Filters
URL: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Filters_MiSTer/tree/master/Filters

Checking palettes
URL: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Gameboy_MiSTer/tree/master/palettes

Done!

Last time I updated was December 25th, so there should be some updates. For some reason it does not show each core any longer when I run the script. Anything changed? I ran the script as downloaded - no changes from my end.

Strange, I just tried the 1.5 without any change and it works here; from your log it seems you edited the script, at least for uncommenting SD_INSTALLER_URL, but I tried that too and, again, it works here. Are you shure you didn't change anything?

Regards.

Locutus73

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Right, I did uncomment this. Sorry it is a standard task for me - forgot to mention :-(

I did a reboot of the MiSTer now once again. This time it worked. Don't know what that was.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:51 pm

SaschaFFM wrote:Right, I did uncomment this. Sorry it is a standard task for me - forgot to mention :-(

I did a reboot of the MiSTer now once again. This time it worked. Don't know what that was.

Maybe the MiSTer was connected to the LAN, but disconnected from the Internet; is it possible?

Regards.
Locutus73

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Did not check that unfortunately. I remember that I forgot to connect the uplink cable from the switch that the MiSTer is connected to. It did not get an IP first (DHCP-Server could not be reached because of missing uplink).

After I connected the uplink the IP showed in MiSTer menu. Perhaps it did not pull Default-Gateway for some reason.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi, I just updated the mister_updater.sh script with many new features:
Version 1.6 - 2018.12.29 - Added REPOSITORIES_FILTER option (i.e. "C64 Minimig NES SNES"); additional repositories files (Filters and GameBoy palettes) online dates and times are checked against local files before downloading; added Internet connection test at the beginning of the script; improved ARCADE_HACKS_PATH file purging; solved a bug with DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES and paths with spaces; added comments to user options.

Regards.

Locutus73

SmokeMonster
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SmokeMonster » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:08 am

The Updater Script has changed my life. It's absolutely perfect.

Could the script please be added to the SD Card Utility?

Also, could we please get a /Config/Scripts/ sub-folder dedicated to holding scripts?

ewok
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ewok » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:44 am

Is it possible to automaticly update the script too? This script changed my life too. Now if only.....

Thanks for all the great work!

fille1976
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fille1976 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 am

Hi,
I just tryed it out,and it worked fine,thx Locutus73.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:10 am

ewok wrote:Is it possible to automaticly update the script too? This script changed my life too. Now if only.....

Make a little update.sh script like this:

#!/bin/bash

curl -ksLf https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer/blob/master/mister_updater.sh?raw=true | bash -

And it will always execute the latest mister_updater.sh from GitHub with default settings.

Regards.

Locutus73

LeKrang
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LeKrang » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 pm

This script is awesome! Tried it out last night and I am glad I did!
So many updates are coming out and it was hard to keep up.
Thank you so much!

ewok
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ewok » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Locutus73 wrote:
ewok wrote:Is it possible to automaticly update the script too? This script changed my life too. Now if only.....

Make a little update.sh script like this:

#!/bin/bash

And it will always execute the latest mister_updater.sh from GitHub with default settings.

Regards.

Locutus73

Thanks!

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:32 pm

New version of the mister_updater.sh script
Version 1.6.1 - 2018.12.30 - Improved date-time parsing for additional repositories; main MiSTer executable, menu.rbf and Linux system are always updated in /media/fat even if BASE_PATH is configured for another directory.

Regards.

Locutus73

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Thank you Locutus73 :cheers:
This script just keeps getting better. :)

esmith13
Atariator
Atariator

Postby esmith13 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:10 pm

So I created an updater script using what was previously pasted here to always pull the latest update script and run it. It worked fine for the past 2 or 3 days. Today, when I launch it my MiSTer completely locks up (even menu clock freezes) before opening the script window. I put my SD into my PC and manually added the 1.6.1 script to run locally without internet and it STILL freezes instantly after trying to launch a script.

During the last successful use of a script the main MiSTer binary was updated. Any chance something changed that broke running scripts in general?

EDIT: I have confirmed that rolling back the main MiSTer binary to the version before 20181229 (20181227) lets my scripts all work fine again, but of course since running the updater updates the main binary to 20181229 again, you then can no longer run scripts again. I did try manually updating the main binary on my PC to make sure it wasn't the updater script that broke it somehow but it didn't help. So apparently the "tweaks" in the latest main binary yesterday broke scripts (or at least both flavors of updater scripts, local and live/online) although I have no other scripts to test with.

EDIT 2: @LeKrang - This updater did not delete my GBC bios, so I don't think it was an updater script issue.
Last edited by esmith13 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LeKrang
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LeKrang » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:11 pm

Locutus73 wrote:New version of the mister_updater.sh script
Version 1.6.1 - 2018.12.30 - Improved date-time parsing for additional repositories; main MiSTer executable, menu.rbf and Linux system are always updated in /media/fat even if BASE_PATH is configured for another directory.

Regards.

Locutus73

Hi Locutus73, just a heads up, after running the updater I noticed it got rid of my boot1.rom file located in the \Gameboy folder I had created for gameboy color support. It also placed the palettes there.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:30 pm

LeKrang wrote:Hi Locutus73, just a heads up, after running the updater I noticed it got rid of my boot1.rom file located in the \Gameboy folder I had created for gameboy color support. It also placed the palettes there.

Hi, the script downloads palettes in the GameBoy folder, but that can be personalized with the ADDITIONAL_REPOSITORIES option: you can change $BASE_PATH/GameBoy to whatever you want.
Regarding the boot1.rom it’s strange, there’s no code for deleting anything in GameBoy directory.
Did you edit any option?

Regards.

Locutus73

LeKrang
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LeKrang » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 pm

Locutus73 wrote:
LeKrang wrote:Hi Locutus73, just a heads up, after running the updater I noticed it got rid of my boot1.rom file located in the \Gameboy folder I had created for gameboy color support. It also placed the palettes there.

Hi, the script downloads palettes in the GameBoy folder, but that can be personalized with the ADDITIONAL_REPOSITORIES option: you can change $BASE_PATH/GameBoy to whatever you want.
Regarding the boot1.rom it’s strange, there’s no code for deleting anything in GameBoy directory.
Did you edit any option?

Regards.

Locutus73

No I haven't. I will try it again and see if I get the same issue, I might just be the one who did something wrong.
Sorgelig seems to be updating several cores atm, I will wait for him to finish then run the updater again.

Thanks.

esmith13
Atariator
Atariator

Postby esmith13 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:55 pm

esmith13 wrote:So I created an updater script using what was previously pasted here to always pull the latest update script and run it. It worked fine for the past 2 or 3 days. Today, when I launch it my MiSTer completely locks up (even menu clock freezes) before opening the script window. I put my SD into my PC and manually added the 1.6.1 script to run locally without internet and it STILL freezes instantly after trying to launch a script.

During the last successful use of a script the main MiSTer binary was updated. Any chance something changed that broke running scripts in general?

EDIT: I have confirmed that rolling back the main MiSTer binary to the version before 20181229 (20181227) lets my scripts all work fine again, but of course since running the updater updates the main binary to 20181229 again, you then can no longer run scripts again. I did try manually updating the main binary on my PC to make sure it wasn't the updater script that broke it somehow but it didn't help. So apparently the "tweaks" in the latest main binary yesterday broke scripts (or at least both flavors of updater scripts, local and live/online) although I have no other scripts to test with.

EDIT 2: @LeKrang - This updater did not delete my GBC bios, so I don't think it was an updater script issue.

Should have made a new post but edited old one instead. Please see edits above.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:21 am

esmith13 wrote:So I created an updater script using what was previously pasted here to always pull the latest update script and run it. It worked fine for the past 2 or 3 days. Today, when I launch it my MiSTer completely locks up (even menu clock freezes) before opening the script window. I put my SD into my PC and manually added the 1.6.1 script to run locally without internet and it STILL freezes instantly after trying to launch a script.

I think the OSD freeze is related to the script name length, the Script menu tries to write it on the left side of the OSD and, if it’s too long, the menu freezes. Try to rename your update script to something shorter i.e. update.sh and try again with the latest MiSTer binary.

Regards.

Locutus73

esmith13
Atariator
Atariator

Postby esmith13 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:37 am

Locutus73 wrote: I think the OSD freeze is related to the script name length, the Script menu tries to write it on the left side of the OSD and, if it’s too long, the menu freezes. Try to rename your update script to something shorter i.e. update.sh and try again with the latest MiSTer binary.

Regards.

Locutus73

Thanks, you called it. For some reason the name length wasn't an issue with 20181227 but is with 20181229. I guess the new datecode changes have an effect on the maxlength parameters somehow. somewhere between 11 and 12 characters (not counting extension) seems to be the cutoff now.

Return to “MiSTer”