MiSTer updater script

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

zomgugoff
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby zomgugoff » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 pm

I am getting the atari5200 core downloaded when it's not specified in my filter. I'm assuming that's because it's mixed in with the atari800 repo. Is there a way to just get the atari800 core?

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 am

zomgugoff wrote:I am getting the atari5200 core downloaded when it's not specified in my filter. I'm assuming that's because it's mixed in with the atari800 repo. Is there a way to just get the atari800 core?

It’s difficult to tell without knowing your filter (the whole ini would be better), but yours seems a good guess.

Regards.

Locutus73

zomgugoff
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby zomgugoff » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 pm

Locutus73 wrote:It’s difficult to tell without knowing your filter (the whole ini would be better), but yours seems a good guess.

It can be replicated with just this:

REPOSITORIES_FILTER="atari800"

The output shows 'Checking Atari800' twice. The first time it downloads atari800.rbf into 'computer'. The second time, it downloads atari5200.rbf into 'console'.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Thu May 02, 2019 1:40 pm

This is indeed a great script. Please forgive if it has been answered, but is there a setting or something I must do if I do not want the script to set the sd card as read-only?

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm

zomgugoff wrote:It can be replicated with just this:

REPOSITORIES_FILTER="atari800"

The output shows 'Checking Atari800' twice. The first time it downloads atari800.rbf into 'computer'. The second time, it downloads atari5200.rbf into 'console'.

You're right, the REPOSITORIES_FILTER is a filter by repository name and https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari800_MiSTer is the repository for both Atari 800XL and Atari 5200 core. I didn't think to this back then. I don't know, I could bake something specific for that, any idea?

seastalker wrote:This is indeed a great script. Please forgive if it has been answered, but is there a setting or something I must do if I do not want the script to set the sd card as read-only?

I don't know what you mean: no script sets the SD read-only.

Regards.

Locutus73

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Thu May 02, 2019 3:59 pm

Sorry, I was not replying directly to the Atari800 core part of the discussion but as a thank you and feedback to the core as a whole. I tried out the LATEST updater script and it is great that it can auto-download cores. In my case it made everything on the sd card Read-only.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:30 pm

seastalker wrote:Sorry, I was not replying directly to the Atari800 core part of the discussion but as a thank you and feedback to the core as a whole. I tried out the LATEST updater script and it is great that it can auto-download cores. In my case it made everything on the sd card Read-only.

Weird, is it read only if you put the SD in a Windows machine? Can you format it?
Usually SD/USB-thumbdrives controllers have a protection mechanism which sets the drive as read only if a bad blocks threshold is reached, so the user can still get his/her data, before disposing the compromised drive. The script has no read only setting, if that happened either the filesystem is corrupted or the disk is corrupted.

Regards.

Locutus73

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Thu May 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Too much for my schedule today. I am going to make a backup of the SD card after the update script and start from scratch.

zomgugoff
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby zomgugoff » Fri May 03, 2019 1:37 am

Locutus73 wrote:You're right, the REPOSITORIES_FILTER is a filter by repository name and https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari800_MiSTer is the repository for both Atari 800XL and Atari 5200 core. I didn't think to this back then. I don't know, I could bake something specific for that, any idea?

If the script grabs the newest .rbfs from each repo, then maybe do a partially filename string match to determine which .rbf to keep? E.g. filter=atari800, do string match from repo for 800(or atari800) and keep that file only.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 am

zomgugoff wrote:
Locutus73 wrote:You're right, the REPOSITORIES_FILTER is a filter by repository name and https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari800_MiSTer is the repository for both Atari 800XL and Atari 5200 core. I didn't think to this back then. I don't know, I could bake something specific for that, any idea?

If the script grabs the newest .rbfs from each repo, then maybe do a partially filename string match to determine which .rbf to keep? E.g. filter=atari800, do string match from repo for 800(or atari800) and keep that file only.

The string match is performed only on the repository name, not on the rbf files.
The updater first downloads https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki, then it applies the REPOSITORIES_FILTER string match to the repositories (the ones you can read on the right of the page) and finally it navigates all the filtered repositories in search of the latest rbf files. Just for the Atari800 repository it searches both for the 800 and 5200 rbf core files. But the filter is applied before navigating all repositories in order to make the script quicker (if a filter is applied).

Regards.

Locutus73

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Fri May 03, 2019 2:29 pm

The fix I used was to copy all the card contents to a backup location, format the card again with the mister setup tool and then copy it all on back.

zomgugoff
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby zomgugoff » Fri May 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Locutus73 wrote:The string match is performed only on the repository name, not on the rbf files.
The updater first downloads https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki, then it applies the REPOSITORIES_FILTER string match to the repositories (the ones you can read on the right of the page) and finally it navigates all the filtered repositories in search of the latest rbf files. Just for the Atari800 repository it searches both for the 800 and 5200 rbf core files. But the filter is applied before navigating all repositories in order to make the script quicker (if a filter is applied).

How about a flag to disable downloading both 800 and 5200 cores if either is found in the filter?

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 pm

zomgugoff wrote:How about a flag to disable downloading both 800 and 5200 cores if either is found in the filter?

I don’t understand what do you mean by “either is found in the filter”. The filter is by repository, not by core name, and both Atari800 and Atari5200 are in the same single repository. They aren’t in two different repositories, they are both in https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari80 ... r/releases
If the filter matches that single repository, both rbf files are downloaded.

Regards.

Locutus73

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 am

zomgugoff wrote:How about a flag to disable downloading both 800 and 5200 cores if either is found in the filter?

I was thinking that DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false" or DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="_New Cores" could satisfy your need.
When set to false it won't download cores which are already on your SD so, with REPOSITORIES_FILTER="atari800", just delete the core you don't need from the SD and it won't be downloaded again. If you use DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="_New Cores" all new cores which aren't already on the SD will be downloaded in the _New Cores directory (remove the underscore if you don't want it listed by main MiSTer core browser)... that's my personal choice.

Regards.

Locutus73

zomgugoff
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby zomgugoff » Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 am

Locutus73 wrote:I was thinking that DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false" or DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="_New Cores" could satisfy your need.
When set to false it won't download cores which are already on your SD so, with REPOSITORIES_FILTER="atari800", just delete the core you don't need from the SD and it won't be downloaded again. If you use DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="_New Cores" all new cores which aren't already on the SD will be downloaded in the _New Cores directory (remove the underscore if you don't want it listed by main MiSTer core browser)... that's my personal choice.

That setting does prevent that core from ending up in the _Consoles directory. Weirdly, it still gets downloaded from the repo, but I suppose that's not a deal breaker. Thanks for the info.

Return to “MiSTer”