SNES core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MordecaiWalfish
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: SNES core

Postby MordecaiWalfish » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:17 pm

Grego2d wrote:Did some testing with SFX games, you are correct, all additional frame rate is lost with the new changes. I took a look at stunt race fx on the old version of turbo and I don't see any graphical glitches in first person. However that game always looks like a glitchy mess to me, so maybe I'm just missing it. I can re-enable unthrottled turbo during SFX games, but the easiest way of doing it is hacky and I suspect Sorge wouldn't like it (Passing SFX info down to CPU.vhd :D). So I'll have to modify the Turbo signals to have multiple modes, one of which is "unthrottled". You won't see it as an option, but if you have cpu turbo enabled with SFX active it will activate unthrottled mode.

-Edit-

Here is a build that fixes SFX for testing:

https://ufile.io/flwuit84

It's kind of hacky, when SFX turbo and CPU turbo are both on then CPU turbo is unthrottled. I'll do a proper version of this fix in the next few days and send a pull request.

I tried the last build you put up and Magic sword does the same thing. there is about a 50% chance the sound will play or not play when you start a level, and it seems to always come back immediately when you get to the next level or a boss, when it is missing. Slowdown is almost completely removed and the game is a lot more fun because of it. the sound seems to be coming in and out, in cue with music track changes in the game. that is when all sound either leaves, or returns.

Secret of Mana worked as you described though, all sound errors are gone, slowdowns are fixed, and the only side-effect I have seen is a flickering line of pixels on the right side of the horizon when flying in the game.

I'll give the new superFX fix build a test later today sometime. I have a pretty solid way of testing exact performance gained in those games.

MordecaiWalfish
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MordecaiWalfish » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Here is the comparison of effectiveness of turbo in the super FX games throughout the different builds, just to have an idea of where things stand currently:

Code: Select all

--------------------------------------
10-17-19 SNES Build with new CPU Turbo 

(Time in seconds taken to complete intro segment)

compared to:

[OLD] samples are from 10-14-19 and earlier SNES builds. Regular/SuperFX Turbo times are identical to new ones.

[NEW] samples are from 11-02-19 build posted by Grego2d on atari forum with improved super fx speeds.
--------------------------------------

Star Fox:    (200 ms margin of error)
---------

Reg - 36.129
FXTurbo - 28.597
CPU+FXTurbo - 28.671

[OLD] CPU+FXTurbo - 27.039

[NEW] CPU+FXTurbo - 28.192

Star Fox 2:    (200ms margin of error)
-----------

Reg - 45.597
FXTurbo - 42.535
CPU+FXTurbo - 42.689

[OLD] CPU+FXTurbo - 35.563

[NEW] CPU+FXTurbo - 37.541

Stunt Race FX:    (20ms margin of error)
--------------

Reg - 40.907
FXTurbo - 36.998
CPU+FXTurbo - 36.987

[OLD] CPU+FXTurbo - 29.572

[NEW] CPU+FXTurbo - 32.942

l0g4n
Atarian
Atarian

Postby l0g4n » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Hi!

I'm a newbie MiSTer user and perhaps this issue has been already answered but I have not been able to found it out.

I'm triying to play Final Fantasy III. The game starts without problems but when the first introdution ends, just before the menu, all the graphics are messed up and glitchy and no sound is present. I have tried a lot of versions of the game, USA, JPN, translated, etc, without luck.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I've got 128MB RAM, a 50Hz TV cappable and use this settings for the MiSTer.ini:

key_menu_as_rgui=0
forced_scandoubler=0
ypbpr=0
composite_sync=0
vga_scaler=0
hdmi_audio_96k=0
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002
volumectl=0
vscale_mode=2
vscale_border=0
;bootscreen=0
;mouse_throttle=10
rbf_hide_datecode=0
menu_pal=0
hdmi_limited=0
fb_size=0
fb_terminal=1
osd_timeout=30
bootcore_timeout=10
font=font/myfont.pf
reset_combo=0
dvi_mode=0
video_mode=8
video_info=4
vsync_adjust=1

Thank you in advance.

l0g4n
Atarian
Atarian

Postby l0g4n » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 am

l0g4n wrote:Hi!

I'm a newbie MiSTer user and perhaps this issue has been already answered but I have not been able to found it out.

I'm triying to play Final Fantasy III. The game starts without problems but when the first introdution ends, just before the menu, all the graphics are messed up and glitchy and no sound is present. I have tried a lot of versions of the game, USA, JPN, translated, etc, without luck.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I've got 128MB RAM, a 50Hz TV cappable and use this settings for the MiSTer.ini:

key_menu_as_rgui=0
forced_scandoubler=0
ypbpr=0
composite_sync=0
vga_scaler=0
hdmi_audio_96k=0
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002
volumectl=0
vscale_mode=2
vscale_border=0
;bootscreen=0
;mouse_throttle=10
rbf_hide_datecode=0
menu_pal=0
hdmi_limited=0
fb_size=0
fb_terminal=1
osd_timeout=30
bootcore_timeout=10
font=font/myfont.pf
reset_combo=0
dvi_mode=0
video_mode=8
video_info=4
vsync_adjust=1

Thank you in advance.

Last update seems to fix the issue.

uncon
Atarian
Atarian

Postby uncon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:17 pm

l0g4n wrote:
l0g4n wrote:I'm triying to play Final Fantasy III. The game starts without problems but when the first introdution ends, just before the menu, all the graphics are messed up and glitchy and no sound is present. I have tried a lot of versions of the game, USA, JPN, translated, etc, without luck.
Last update seems to fix the issue.

Are you sure this is entirely resolved? There are still a good number of sprites that are wrong in FF3/6 on MiSTer for me. The most prevalent is the save indicator (blue sparkle) and the esper sprites (all in-game, not in menu).

ganondork
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ganondork » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Found a glitch during the Mode7-Jumps of Boss 4 in Super Mario World (US). Took a video of it, it is a blinking line of pixels above the boss-sprite during the jumps. Can’t attach the video herr. Still very, very impressed and grateful for your work. Just wanted to do my part in fixing up :)

Cheers.

cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cbo2188 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi all. In Super Ghosts n Ghouls, I was noticing some flickering lines at the top of the screen. It's noticeable when you are playing thru the first stage. Just wanted to mention this just in case. This might just be on my end. Thanks for everything!

Return to “MiSTer”