FM Towns coming to MiSTer?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

awestyn
Atarian
Atarian

FM Towns coming to MiSTer?

Postby awestyn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:02 am

I just saw on twitter that a FM Towns core might be coming to MiSTer. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks!

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Re: FM Towns coming to MiSTer?

Postby leech » Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 pm

awestyn wrote:I just saw on twitter that a FM Towns core might be coming to MiSTer. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks!

That could be cool, then we could play the Ultima 6 with terrible voice overs on it.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jemismyname » Tue May 14, 2019 4:58 am

FM towns marty looks pretty interesting. looks like their were a lot of good japanese computer platforms from 199x. I feel like the japanese resisted the dominance of x86/M$ computing far longer than other regions... making things infinitely more interesting.

Also, top hat gaming man says that there are lots of games in english... not to mention a ton of hentai? sounds like a good time to me!

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 am

jemismyname wrote:FM towns marty looks pretty interesting. looks like their were a lot of good japanese computer platforms from 199x. I feel like the japanese resisted the dominance of x86/M$ computing far longer than other regions... making things infinitely more interesting.

Also, top hat gaming man says that there are lots of games in english... not to mention a ton of hentai? sounds like a good time to me!

Ha, I often wonder what the landscape would like like these days if Atari and Commodore had survived. I'm thinking they would have turned out much like now, where Atari's OS is pretty much all open source now, Amiga is still closed, but very awesome and minimal, etc. Instead we are left with most people running Windows or Mac, and Linux being an afterthought... All operating systems of course would end up very Unix-y, Atari and Commodore were already there before Mac and Windows :P
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jemismyname » Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm

leech wrote:Ha, I often wonder what the landscape would like like these days if Atari and Commodore had survived. I'm thinking they would have turned out much like now, where Atari's OS is pretty much all open source now, Amiga is still closed, but very awesome and minimal, etc. Instead we are left with most people running Windows or Mac, and Linux being an afterthought... All operating systems of course would end up very Unix-y, Atari and Commodore were already there before Mac and Windows :P

I read somewhere that Windows is going to start pushing Linux subsystem for Windows into the next major Win 10 update... so that's kind of interesting, actually. I started my computer life with a strong dislike of Microsoft, but it has gradually faded to minor annoyance by today...

I always wished that i had access to an alternative computing platform in the 80's and 90's... i feel like *I* would have been more interesting :D

MiSTer really fills that hole in my life!

<OT rant>
My parents *almost* bought an amiga computer in the 80s, but then one of my dad's friends from work told him that I "would just use it to play video games" because commodore "only cares about graphics and sound" and that "IBM PC clones running Microsoft operating systems are the ***wave of the future***"

this friend also happened to have stock in an IBM PC clone company called Columbia Data Works... so my parents spent $2000+ dollars on a hunk of junk 286 with CGA graphics, PC Speaker audio, and MSDOS 3.3 and 1 MB of RAM which the morons incorrectly configured as 640K (a huge difference back then).

It definitely sucked for playing video games... and everything else too. FML

At least it's cool that people said stuff like "wave of the future" back then.
</OT rant>

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 pm

The funny thing is, Microsoft keeps calling it the Windows subsystem for Linux (WSL) which makes NO sense, because that sounds like they're building it under Linux. Way you phrased it makes far more sense, because it's a Linux subsystem for Windows.

For the off topic:
I grew up the opposite way, I didn't have a x86 system until '95 with a Windows 95 Packard Bell piece of crap with 8mb of RAM and one of those Soundcard/Modem combination cards (anyone who has ever used one knows it's impossible to get both sound and the modem to work in DOS mode because of it). It had a Pentium 75 that I overclocked to 100, so at leas there was that!

Previous to that computer, it was an Atari 800XL, some Heath Zenith Z80 based computer my grandmother gave us, and then the glory that was the Atari Mega STe. (I upgraded that from the 2mb to 4mb of RAM and played Ultima 6 out of a RAMDisk for fun, amazing load times!)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue May 14, 2019 11:59 pm

Well he wasn't wrong about "the wave of the future". As clunky as early PCs were, their descemdants dominate the desktop marlet today. The other guys basically became Unix.

Almost everything else is now retro computing and is slowly being added to a certain open source project :wink:

Back in the day there was this running joke of a guy claimimg to have coded "EMUALLSYSTEMS", a super emulator (and the joke is that he then asks for help writing it in an awful programming language). Between MAME and MiSTer/MiST that crazy idea s pretty much a reality. The retro future is pretty bright.

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jemismyname » Fri May 17, 2019 1:47 am

Newsdee wrote:Well he wasn't wrong about "the wave of the future". As clunky as early PCs were, their descemdants dominate the desktop marlet today. The other guys basically became Unix.

Almost everything else is now retro computing and is slowly being added to a certain open source project :wink:

Back in the day there was this running joke of a guy claimimg to have coded "EMUALLSYSTEMS", a super emulator (and the joke is that he then asks for help writing it in an awful programming language). Between MAME and MiSTer/MiST that crazy idea s pretty much a reality. The retro future is pretty bright.

lol, yeah i know, he wasn't wrong.. he was just an asshole, because he kept me from having a good computer until about 1995.

"the wave of the future," smdh... what did he have a scrying mirror? a crystal ball? he should have been on the lookout for the heart attack which killed him just 5 short years after ruining my childhood computing dreams. :P

My first good computer was a Cyrix processor based i think they called it a "686" running windows 95 ... anyway it was made by a local chap named Mr. Engle in gadsden, AL who had a shop called "Engles Computer systems" It just happened to be across the street from where the old Commodore store used to be back in the 80s.

it was a very nice computer for the time. what was will be! The New age retro hippie brushes his teeth! The blinding light caused Ness's body to solidify!

Future retro computing FTW!!!

djmartins
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby djmartins » Tue May 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Newsdee wrote:Between MAME and MiSTer/MiST that crazy idea s pretty much a reality. The retro future is pretty bright.

It is the golden age of computing.
We have decades of software we can run on many different systems inexpensively.
Literally back to the PDP-1!

Return to “MiSTer”