Gameboy core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

brNX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Gameboy core

Postby brNX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:11 pm

merlin4782 wrote:I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. The Gameboy core is displaying only a white screen when I load a game. I can still hear the music playing in the background and control inputs are registering fine.

Do you have fastboot enabled ? My initial tests showed that fastboot reduces compatibility. I have to revisit that code and maybe change the bootrom, some ("badly" coded) games expect the registers to be at a certain value when booting.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 pm

brNX wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Would be good to add support for such famous games as Street Fighter II, Turrican

Can you elaborate Sorgelig ? About Turrican, I played it for a bit and didn't find anything wrong/different.
Sound effects that have lower volume maybe ?

hmm.. May be the ROM i've tried was bad or other version. I will re-check then.
Upd: it was fast start compatibility issue.
Now it works!

Even Street Fighter II is working but with screen flickering.

brNX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brNX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
brNX wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Would be good to add support for such famous games as Street Fighter II, Turrican

Can you elaborate Sorgelig ? About Turrican, I played it for a bit and didn't find anything wrong/different.
Sound effects that have lower volume maybe ?

hmm.. May be the ROM i've tried was bad or other version. I will re-check then.
Upd: it was fast start compatibility issue.
Now it works!

Even Street Fighter II is working but with screen flickering.

cool, thanks for checking.
The street fighter 2 issue is a "complicated" one, I could use a "quick and dirty fix" by delaying the ly=lyc interrupt (scanline interrupt) which also "fixes" parodius and Prehistorik man but ... breaks Final Fantasy legend 1+2.
I think instead of this I will check all the PPU code and try to do it the right way.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby vanfanel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:27 pm

@brNX: I have been able to make Link's Awakening to work, it was also an incompatibility with FAST START, sorry! :D

I have noticed a couple of audio bugs:
-On the tittle screen, when the little logo forms, there's a sound effect. That sound effect is wrong: look at Gambatte if you don't have a real GB for reference.
-The same happens when using the shield (press the shield button): The sound effect is wrong. Again, you can compare against real HW or Gambatte, which gets the sound right.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 pm

brNX wrote:cool, thanks for checking.
The street fighter 2 issue is a "complicated" one, I could use a "quick and dirty fix" by delaying the ly=lyc interrupt (scanline interrupt) which also "fixes" parodius and Prehistorik man but ... breaks Final Fantasy legend 1+2.
I think instead of this I will check all the PPU code and try to do it the right way.

It looks like cycle accuracy issue if one game wants one interrupt position but other one wants other position.
It's not only PPU but also can be CPU. You need to migrate to T80 tweaked by me - it's cycle accurate. But it's accurate only in Z80 mode. GB mode may need tweaks.

brNX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brNX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
brNX wrote:cool, thanks for checking.

It looks like cycle accuracy issue if one game wants one interrupt position but other one wants other position.
It's not only PPU but also can be CPU. You need to migrate to T80 tweaked by me - it's cycle accurate. But it's accurate only in Z80 mode. GB mode may need tweaks.

I tried :)
But ran into the interrupt issue I wrote to you over on Github (I added "wire clk = clk_sys & ce_p;" to gb.v and tried to keep the interrupt vector address longer on the line), but the cpu core maintained the same behaviour (jumps to the correct address , executes nops in a loop but never executes what is at that address). The bootrom executes correctly, so I think the merging (i diffed the two folder using amstrads as base and added my changes, so everything is there) of the files should have been correctly done.

trace.png

I abandoned that for now, because most if not all of the opcodes I checked where cycle accurate having usually to add cycles because most of them were longer on the GB than on a Z80. and because most of the bugs I found where related to the peripherals (the GB has a loooot of quirks and strange behaviours).

I haven't "really" looked at the PPU code yet, my "bet" is there are still some timing issues there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

merlin4782
Atarian
Atarian

Postby merlin4782 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 pm

brNX wrote:
merlin4782 wrote:I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. The Gameboy core is displaying only a white screen when I load a game. I can still hear the music playing in the background and control inputs are registering fine.

Do you have fastboot enabled ? My initial tests showed that fastboot reduces compatibility. I have to revisit that code and maybe change the bootrom, some ("badly" coded) games expect the registers to be at a certain value when booting.

Weird. I tried it again today and bit was set to "Normal" but it seems to be working now. Regardless, I tried with "Fast" not and it works also. Not sure what happened yesterday. Thanks.

BitsNStuff
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BitsNStuff » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:38 am

Yeah, I've been able to test it today but I'm getting this. Interestingly it seems to boot up the boot.rom file sometimes but only the audio will play.

I've tried about a dozen times without any luck, I've also downloaded the core again and retested it several times without any luck.

vorvek
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby vorvek » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:42 pm

That was happening to me with both the Game Boy and NES cores the other day after messing around for a while with the Genesis and TurboGrafx16 cores. Powering the MiSTer off and back on made everything work again.

brNX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brNX » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:05 pm

PR sent with audio fixes

thanks vanfanel for the tip on the shield (I don't know how I missed that one, Link's Awakening is my favourite GB game... ), it was easy to reproduce.
@BlockABoots the punch sound in Double Dragon 2 was the same issue.

I had to implement some obscure behaviour of the GB sound channels to fix Prehistorik man.

The rare sound crackling issue remains, I still have to figure out what is causing it.

:cheers:

uigiflip
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Gameboy core 11/12/18

Postby uigiflip » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:12 pm

noticed on latest gameboy core 11/12/18 only get vga output with actual game footage on hdmi get just white screen on and sound
Vampire 500 V2+, Mister, FPGA Replay + 68060 Daughterboard

brNX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Gameboy core 11/12/18

Postby brNX » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:35 pm

uigiflip wrote:noticed on latest gameboy core 11/12/18 only get vga output with actual game footage on hdmi get just white screen on and sound

what output resolution are you using? do you have vsync_adjust=1 ? Have you tried powering the de10 nano off and on again like vorvek ?

Sorry for the questions but I've been using HDMI only (I don't have the i/o board) and I cannot reproduce this issue.

uigiflip
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby uigiflip » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:39 pm

found turnning off vsync got hdmi back, im using node 8 1080p 60hz

ok turned vysnc back must be mister over heating seemes to work again now with vsync on

brNX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brNX » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:30 pm

uigiflip wrote:found turnning off vsync got hdmi back, im using node 8 1080p 60hz

ok turned vysnc back must be mister over heating seemes to work again now with vsync on

glad it works!

uigiflip
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby uigiflip » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 pm

anyone know how to switch to gameboy colour mode?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:21 am

uigiflip wrote:anyone know how to switch to gameboy colour mode?

write the GBC support code :)

widge
Atari User
Atari User

Postby widge » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 am

The *.GBC that you see in the menu is to load Game Boy Color black colored cartridges that were also compatible with the original Game Boy.

Wappi
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Wappi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi.
Anyone was able to run gameboy core on a sony pvm. Or any Crt?
My image is all scramble, like there is no sync.
I have Mister RGB SCART PCB, from arcade forge. That work for SMS (scaling is off, to far to the left need to use underscan to have full pictur),Genesis,Nes,Snes,turbographx16 some arcade core. But can t get it to work for gameboy.

I was thinking maybi getting a retrogamingcalbe bnc adapter with built in sync separator LM1881. But i am not sure that will work.

I don t know what to do.
Thx

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:48 pm

This already has been discussed before.
Gameboy is not TV console, so doesn't provide standard TV signal.
HDMI is the main TV output on MiSTer.

brunosilva
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby brunosilva » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:30 pm

widge wrote:

The *.GBC that you see in the menu is to load Game Boy Color black colored cartridges that were also compatible with the original Game Boy.

do you have any game release list that is compatible?

hyperterminal

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Here is a list of GBC games that shows whether they are backwards compatible to GB or not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... olor_games

brNX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brNX » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi,

just posting to say that the GBC support is very early stage so expect things to brake be out of place etc...
There's no point yet in reporting bugs, it's still the other way around :)

:cheers:

BitsNStuff
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BitsNStuff » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:45 pm

@brNX, it's fantastic, thanks!! There are obviously issues with many games but it certainly has makings of a really impressive core already.

Maybe I'll finally get around playing the Zelda, Oracle of.. games when this is a little more stable. :D

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:31 am

R-Type series get a lot of advantage from color version! It's like day and night. It's much gorgeous now!
I know current version doesn't support CPU speed switch, and it seems R-Type needs this double speed as it looks like slow than it should.

BitsNStuff
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BitsNStuff » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:04 am

I think the color games look remarkably good still, the colour remake of Super Mario Land 2 looks absolutely incredible.

Return to “MiSTer”