Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

paulbnl
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Newbie questions

Postby paulbnl » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:18 pm

It is not possible to have the background simultaneously for HDMI and VGA.

Recently it was changed so you can use direct_video=1 for backgrounds on VGA but then HDMI is lost. (Outputs unscaled video).

If you use vga_scaler=1 then the HDMI resolution is output on VGA.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm

As Paul already wrote, you have to choose either VGA or HDMI.
MiSTer never advertised as dual output device. While it can provide some dual output it still has limitations due to used resources.

Kraken
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Kraken » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 pm

paulbnl wrote:It is not possible to have the background simultaneously for HDMI and VGA.

Recently it was changed so you can use direct_video=1 for backgrounds on VGA but then HDMI is lost. (Outputs unscaled video).

If you use vga_scaler=1 then the HDMI resolution is output on VGA.

Sorgelig wrote:As Paul already wrote, you have to choose either VGA or HDMI.
MiSTer never advertised as dual output device. While it can provide some dual output it still has limitations due to used resources.

I won't be using the Mister simultaneously on both HDMI and VGA.I did that just for the test.I only use VGA to PVM.
but VGA only using vga_scaler-1 made no difference anyway.(same distorted image)

however direct_video=1 did the trick.thanks for that! :)

does changing direct_video to 1 have any other effect? (again I only use Mister via VGA to BNC on PVM.)

the only issue now is that the Mister name text is slightly out of frame,(but everythung else;games,menus,etc are positioned correctly so can't be monitor's settings.not a big deal anyway.

Last edited by Kraken on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kraken
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Kraken » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 pm

-DELETE duplicate post-

jca
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: why I can't change the background using F1 anymore?

Postby jca » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:28 pm

BigMac740p wrote:
jca wrote:I don't want to open a new thread so I will take the opportunity to ask another question about the KB.
When staring MISTer the OSD is displayed, pressing F12 brings the OSD to MISTer Settings.
After running any core how do you reach this settings screen again? I tried WIN+F12, Alt+F12, Shift+F12 and Ctrl+F12 without success.

The only way I found is to reboot Mister.

This is what I have been doing.

jca
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jca » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Today there is an update of Linux and I have a question regarding the SD Card Utility:
Does the "Update Boot+Files" function changes any configuration file or do I have to restore any backup file after the update?

Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Chris23235 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:52 pm

jca wrote:Today there is an update of Linux and I have a question regarding the SD Card Utility:
Does the "Update Boot+Files" function changes any configuration file or do I have to restore any backup file after the update?

No.

Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Chris23235 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:05 am

The changelog from Jan 22 says:

apply jspoll tweak to gamepad class

Is this applied automatically to all gamepads and joysticks or is it necessary to enable it in the u-boot.txt file?

hyperterminal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby hyperterminal » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Chris23235 wrote:The changelog from Jan 22 says:

Is this applied automatically to all gamepads and joysticks or is it necessary to enable it in the u-boot.txt file?

No, you need to enable it by yourself. Here is an explanation:
Sorgelig wrote:
ChocoboTime wrote:However, u-boot.txt is not enabled by default. Was it on purpose?
The only thing that we need to do is remove example at the end and just reboot to experience the usbhid.jspoll=1 and xpad.cpoll=1 magic?

Yes, it's not enabled by default on purpose as it puts joystick into undocumented mode and potentially may harm it.

viewtopic.php?p=391959#p391959

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:31 pm

hyperterminal wrote:
Chris23235 wrote:The changelog from Jan 22 says:

No, you need to enable it by yourself.

i think the question was if it's common tweak for all joysticks or not.
Yes, it's common for all, but not all joysticks will be able to work faster.

Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Chris23235 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Thank you both for your replies, I enabled it, so far no problems on any of my devices (Competition Pro, Xbox360 Pad, custom Arcade stick with Zero Delay USB encoder). Can't say for sure, that it feels different, I have the impression of a more responsive system, but hard to tell if this is just in my head.

drenco
Atarian
Atarian

Postby drenco » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi ive just picked up a DE10-Nano and a 128mb module and have some questions to help get me running

#1 is the USB board v2.1 the best solution as ill want to use a mouse (for some games) and keyboard plus a 2.5^ HD or SSD for the games etc and probably a dongle for a Bluetooth adaptor ?

#2 What rated power supply do i need to get in order to run the above setup without dropouts/issues?

#3 Ive read somewhere about the USB polling hack that dramatically reduces lag for the wired controller over USB does that mean it puts it inline with the performance of the Blisster ?

#4 Do you need to install a fan or is just an Aluminium heat sink do the job without any throttling or glitching whilst running the cores ?

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BigMac740p » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:44 pm

drenco wrote:Hi ive just picked up a DE10-Nano and a 128mb module and have some questions to help get me running

#1 is the USB board v2.1 the best solution as ill want to use a mouse (for some games) and keyboard plus a 2.5^ HD or SSD for the games etc and probably a dongle for a Bluetooth adaptor ?

#2 What rated power supply do i need to get in order to run the above setup without dropouts/issues?

#3 Ive read somewhere about the USB polling hack that dramatically reduces lag for the wired controller over USB does that mean it puts it inline with the performance of the Blisster ?

#4 Do you need to install a fan or is just an Aluminium heat sink do the job without any throttling or glitching whilst running the cores ?

Hi, here my take on your questions.

#1 The USB board is the best solution for a small footprint since it bolt directly on the bottom of the DE10-Nano. But most powered USB hub will perform equally well for your need. I’m using a cheap travel USB hub with a OTG adapters without any issues

#2 any 5v DC power supply over 2amp will work, all you need is a way to bypass the De10 usb bus power either with a Y cable or a separate power supply for the USB HUB.

#3 I haven’t played with the low latency stuff myself yet. But what I’ve read is with a controller that can support it it pretty much match any other solution

#4 The De10 don’t have any thermal regulation, it will not throttle, it will simply crash with spectacular visual glitches. A heat sink is probably a must but the fan is arguably overkill. Overall the CycloneV chip in the De10 is rated for operations over 100c

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:51 pm

drenco wrote:#4 Do you need to install a fan or is just an Aluminium heat sink do the job without any throttling or glitching whilst running the cores ?

heatsink does matter if it has enough fresh air to dissipate the heat. If you will add a small heatsink and then put the whole construction into a case without air flow, then heatsink will be useless.
It's more useful to put a slow rotating fan (5V Fan connected to 3V) blowing to FPGA chip even without heatsink.

BigMac740p wrote: Overall the CycloneV chip in the De10 is rated for operations over 100c

1) yes it should try to work up to 100C, but it will glitching at such temp.
2) lifespan is greatly reducing for devices working under high temp.
Overall de10-nano is dev.board which is supposed to die in experiments :) So, it's up to you how you will care of it.

Peredonov

Postby Peredonov » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:56 am

BigMac740p wrote:#3 I haven’t played with the low latency stuff myself yet. But what I’ve read is with a controller that can support it it pretty much match any other solution

How is this enabled? Briefly I considered using a Blisster but I don't want to use something that is not officially supported, and that is closed source, and requires its own branch cores. If this option works well it makes it unnecessary, especially since many people already own cheap USB adapters for original controllers, by Mayflash for example.

Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Chris23235 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:41 am

Peredonov wrote:How is this enabled? Briefly I considered using a Blisster but I don't want to use something that is not officially supported, and that is closed source, and requires its own branch cores. If this option works well it makes it unnecessary, especially since many people already own cheap USB adapters for original controllers, by Mayflash for example.

Navigate to media/fat/linux/ and rename the file "u-boot.txt.example" to "u-boot.txt".

arnljot
Atarian
Atarian

Postby arnljot » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:31 pm

What I hope is apparent on this picture of my Barco pvm that uses 5x bnc connector via io board (hd15 vga), is that the image underscans. It doesn´t fill the entire picture. What can be done with this?

Here's my mister.init

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0     ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0   ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0                ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=1       ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0           ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0       ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
volumectl=0            ; enable audio volume control by multimedia keys
vscale_mode=0          ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                       ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                       ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                       ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
vscale_border=0        ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-99)
;bootscreen=0          ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig.
;mouse_throttle=10     ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0    ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=1             ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0         ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
fb_size=0              ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1          ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30         ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 30 seconds if not set.
                       ; Background picture will get darker after double timout

; lastcore - Autoboot the last loaded core (corename autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; lastexactcore - Autoboot the last loaded exact core (corename_yyyymmdd.rbf autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; corename - Autoboot first corename_*.rbf found on the SD/USB
; corename_yyyymmdd.rbf - Autoboot first corename_yyyymmdd.rbf found on the SD/USB
;bootcore=lastcore    ; uncomment to autoboot a core, as the last loaded core.
bootcore_timeout=10  ; 10-30 timeout before autoboot, comment for autoboot without timeout.

; Option to load the custom font. Format is plain bitmap 8x8.
; Supported sizes of font:
;   768 bytes - chars 32-127 (only alpha + numeric)
;  1024 bytes - chars 0-127
;  1136 bytes - chars 0-141
;  up to 2048 - only chars 0-141 will be used.
; if first 32 chars are empty (for sizes 1024 bytes and more) then they are skipped.
font=font/myfont.pf

; USER button emulation by keybaord. Usually it's reset button.
; 0 - lctrl+lalt+ralt (lctrl+lgui+rgui on keyrah)
; 1 - lctrl+lgui+rgui
; 2 - lctrl+lalt+del
; 3 - same as 0 (lctrl+lalt+ralt on keyrah)
reset_combo=0

dvi_mode=1             ; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.

; 0 - 1280x720@60
; 1 - 1024x768@60
; 2 - 720x480@60
; 3 - 720x576@50
; 4 - 1280x1024@60
; 5 - 800x600@60
; 6 - 640x480@60
; 7 - 1280x720@50
; 8 - 1920x1080@60
; 9 - 1920x1080@50
;10 - 1366x768@60
;11 - 1024x600@60
;
; custom mode: hact,hfp,hs,hbp,vact,vfp,vs,vbp,Fpix_in_KHz
;   video_mode=1280,110,40,220,720,5,5,20,74250
video_mode=0

; set to 1-10 (seconds) to display video info on startup/change
video_info=4

; Set to 1 for automatic HDMI VSync rate adjust to match original VSync.
; Set to 2 for low latency mode (single buffer).
; This option makes video butter smooth like on original emulated system.
; Adjusting is done by changing pixel clock. Not every display supports variable pixel clock.
; For proper adjusting and to reduce possible out of range pixel clock, use 60Hz HDMI video
; modes as a base even for 50Hz systems.
vsync_adjust=0

; These parameters have the same format as video_mode.
; You need to supply both PAL and NTSC modes if you want vsync_adjust to switch between
; predefined modes as a base. This will reduce the range of pixel clock.
;video_mode_ntsc=0
;video_mode_pal=7

Peredonov

Postby Peredonov » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:02 pm

Chris23235 wrote:Navigate to media/fat/linux/ and rename the file "u-boot.txt.example" to "u-boot.txt".

This file is not present in my SD card. I only have a uboot.img file in my linux folder. I'll try running the updater scripts, or maybe I need to update the bootloader.
edit: running the regular update script placed the file there. I'll give it a try. I remember Sorgelig mentioning this puts the USB device in an undocumented state and may be harmful to it, but if it's some cheap old usb adapter I guess it's worth a shot.

sarcoptic
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sarcoptic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm

So things are rocking and rolling for me...addons and fan all added and been playing around like crazy. Pretty awesome what this board can do. Quick question...I know mister itself has an ini file you can use to tweak certain things, but do cores themselves have that? An example if I setup the NES core to enable extra sprites, turn on scanlines, etc.... is there a way to save that so each time the core loads those settings are automatically applied?

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:03 pm

sarcoptic wrote:So things are rocking and rolling for me...addons and fan all added and been playing around like crazy. Pretty awesome what this board can do. Quick question...I know mister itself has an ini file you can use to tweak certain things, but do cores themselves have that? An example if I setup the NES core to enable extra sprites, turn on scanlines, etc.... is there a way to save that so each time the core loads those settings are automatically applied?

Most of the cores have an option to save the default configuration settings in the OSD menu.

sarcoptic
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sarcoptic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:12 pm

BBond007 wrote:
sarcoptic wrote:So things are rocking and rolling for me...addons and fan all added and been playing around like crazy. Pretty awesome what this board can do. Quick question...I know mister itself has an ini file you can use to tweak certain things, but do cores themselves have that? An example if I setup the NES core to enable extra sprites, turn on scanlines, etc.... is there a way to save that so each time the core loads those settings are automatically applied?

Most of the cores have an option to save the default configuration settings in the OSD menu.

Ha wow I did see that but that never clicked. Thanks for the quick response! Last thing still working on is a best controller situation. I have a DS4 with a 8bitdo but also have the sega 2.4ghz controller from 8bitdo too. I can easily feel the lag difference, but its really hard playing SNES games on that sega controller. No matter the layout I try Super Mario World just doesn't feel right. 8bitdo needs to come out with a 2.4ghz version of the SN30 Pro+.

djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby djsquare » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Thinking about putting together another MiSTer for the living room. I have pretty much every thing I need. Anyway my question is that I have an extra unopened 64M SD RAM module that I was thinking of using because I have it but I remember reading somewhere that they aren't really recommended for whatever reason. What is the general opinion on 64M ram modules?

Peredonov

Postby Peredonov » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 pm

djsquare wrote:Thinking about putting together another MiSTer for the living room. I have pretty much every thing I need. Anyway my question is that I have an extra unopened 64M SD RAM module that I was thinking of using because I have it but I remember reading somewhere that they aren't really recommended for whatever reason. What is the general opinion on 64M ram modules?

Some cores may not have been updated to recognize them as 64MB so it'll be seen as 32MB, but should be fine otherwise for everything except those few NG games that require ~100MB.

djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby djsquare » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:58 pm

Peredonov wrote:
djsquare wrote:Thinking about putting together another MiSTer for the living room. I have pretty much every thing I need. Anyway my question is that I have an extra unopened 64M SD RAM module that I was thinking of using because I have it but I remember reading somewhere that they aren't really recommended for whatever reason. What is the general opinion on 64M ram modules?

Some cores may not have been updated to recognize them as 64MB so it'll be seen as 32MB, but should be fine otherwise for everything except those few NG games that require ~100MB.

Thanks. I can always upgrade it if I don't like how it's performing. I just hate to buy another 128M SD RAM but maybe I should. I guess I'll find out

jca
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jca » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:03 pm

I intend to test the USB rapid polling. The u-boot.txt example contains v=loglevel=4. What is the effect of this parameter?

Return to “MiSTer”