Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

implodetee
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Newbie questions

Postby implodetee » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:53 am

SaschaFFM wrote:Never had issues with Genesis, SNES, PC-Engine. You do have

forced_scandoubler=0

In your mister.ini dont you? Might be an explanation if you don’t.

What SNES core are you using (specific binary/release/source, please)?

My mister.ini:

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
composite_sync=1
forced_scandoubler=0

SaschaFFM wrote:How is your cabling between Mister and BVM? Do you have 75Ohm terminators on the BNC-OUT-Ports of your BVM?

My cabling is a this (without the audio connector):
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... ScartCable

I have a SCART=>BNC connector that I use with all my consoles to connect to the BVM.

And yes, of course I have the 75Ω terminators. I also have ~30 RGB modded consoles that all work properly.

SaschaFFM wrote:Perhaps your SNES-Roms contain headers? Might work with newest SNES-Release but probably try with ‚240p test suite‘ for SNES? Just download and try it out. Test patterns do help a lot to identify video issues.

I have both the full NoIntro and GoodSNES collections and have tried both, with multiple files. All exhibit the same issues. The core loads the menu properly, but then there is no output from the VGA port. While I have not tested, I imagine I would get output via HDMI.

Any constructive help is appreciated.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby vanfanel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Do you guys know if it's possible to setup a joystick button combination to enter the cores menu??
I have searched low and high and I can't find anything regarding this, only simple button press.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:09 pm

vanfanel wrote:Do you guys know if it's possible to setup a joystick button combination to enter the cores menu??
I have searched low and high and I can't find anything regarding this, only simple button press.

That's the way it is.

Regards.
Locutus73

olin

Postby olin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:34 pm

vanfanel wrote:Do you guys know if it's possible to setup a joystick button combination to enter the cores menu??

Not quite sure whether I understand your question correctly (as the answer seems so obvious), but I normally press this joystick button combination: OSD button (defined on the joystick), Right direction button , A (or 1) button in this order to display core menu. Then use Up / Down button to select a new core and press A (or 1) button to launch the core. That works for me in any core. Also make sure you define your joystick buttons while in the menu core (the one that is displayed after MiSTer reboot).

Lightwave
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Lightwave » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 pm

olin wrote:

Not quite sure whether I understand your question correctly

I'm guessing what he is asking is whether a simultaneous combination of buttons can be mapped to open the OSD. For example, if you are using a SNES controller there are no free buttons available for the OSD, so you could use let's say down+select. That way you could navigate the menu from your couch, and avoid having to use the keyboard.

vanfanel

Postby vanfanel » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 am

Lightwave wrote:
I'm guessing what he is asking is whether a simultaneous combination of buttons can be mapped to open the OSD. For example, if you are using a SNES controller there are no free buttons available for the OSD, so you could use let's say down+select. That way you could navigate the menu from your couch, and avoid having to use the keyboard.

Yes, this is what I am asking. And yes, for this same reason: there are no free buttons on the SNES gamepad to enter the menu.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:04 pm

It needs to he coded into the firmware. So far nobody is looking into it, that I know of.

stepea
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stepea » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi what size standoffs do I need to add more boards.

LewisD
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LewisD » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:03 pm

I just got my MiSTer up and running with an IO board and SDram board and everything runs great except for the fact that I cannot get any audio when using the NES core. Audio works with SNES and Genesis, so this issue is specific to NES. Is there a setting I’m overlooking? Thanks.

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djsquare » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:51 am

Quick question. How would one go about setting up a static IP address? I like to move around files via FTP and don't always like to turn on the TV to see what DHCP has handed out today. I know you need to edit the "interfaces" file and change the "iface wlan0 inet dhcp" but I don't know linux and am kinda stupid. Thanks you guys rock

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:56 am

djsquare wrote:Quick question. How would one go about setting up a static IP address? I like to move around files via FTP and don't always like to turn on the TV to see what DHCP has handed out today. I know you need to edit the "interfaces" file and change the "iface wlan0 inet dhcp" but I don't know linux and am kinda stupid. Thanks you guys rock

You need to go to your DHCP server settings (usually it is router) and assign static IP to MAC address of MiSTer.

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djsquare » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
djsquare wrote:Quick question. How would one go about setting up a static IP address? I like to move around files via FTP and don't always like to turn on the TV to see what DHCP has handed out today. I know you need to edit the "interfaces" file and change the "iface wlan0 inet dhcp" but I don't know linux and am kinda stupid. Thanks you guys rock

You need to go to your DHCP server settings (usually it is router) and assign static IP to MAC address of MiSTer.

That worked perfectly and was super easy! Thank you for your help :cheers:

MattE888
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby MattE888 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:20 pm

Sorgelig wrote:

I have been doing this the hard way for years. Thanks for this info!

cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cbo2188 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:24 am

Is there a way to write to the SD Card over USB or FTP? I installed the Windows drivers from the original sd card that came with the DE-10 but Windows isn't showing the DE-10 or SD Card. Sorry if this has been posted before. Thanks!

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:29 am

cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cbo2188 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks!

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:54 am

Is it a known issue that the MSX core sounds horrible if using the I/O v5.5 digital audio output? Like roaring static. No bueno 8O

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:17 am

I will fix MSX SPDIF sound soon.

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:51 am

Sorgelig wrote:I will fix MSX SPDIF sound soon.

Thank you so much. Genesis sound blew my mind a little bit when I first tested out SPDIF output - So clean!

BTW is there a faster way to load a new MSX game than to reboot, load core, type "mm", load game? I own real MSX hardware and a MFR SCC+, so I guess it's not any faster in that case. The only difference being MM autoloading, I guess (plus permanence of ROM until cleared).

gojira54
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gojira54 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 pm

LewisD wrote:I just got my MiSTer up and running with an IO board and SDram board and everything runs great except for the fact that I cannot get any audio when using the NES core. Audio works with SNES and Genesis, so this issue is specific to NES. Is there a setting I’m overlooking? Thanks.

I only get audio via the I/O analogue out with the NES core, nothing over HDMI - are there any settings/config that I'm missing or is there no HDMI audio output for this core?
Please do not take it personal, my lawyer has policies

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 pm

I only get audio via the I/O analogue out with the NES core, nothing over HDMI - are there any settings/config that I'm missing or is there no HDMI audio output for this core?

There is audio via HDMI on the NES core. The problem has to do with different TVs/Monitors. On certain cores (you'll find others besides NES) you'll find audio won't work with certain tvs. For example, on my PC monitor HDMI, I get no audio on NES. If I plug the same MiSTer into my living room TV, I get audio via HDMI. Some cores work on both my TV and my monitor, like SNES for example. Not sure why some work with either and some don't.

eightbitminiboss
Atarian
Atarian

Postby eightbitminiboss » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:34 pm

In my experience, my TV works with everything but on my capture card it won't pick up sound and it might because the sound of the core is not high enough for the card to realize there is sound to capture. I hit this a lot with NES and C64 (until I switch SIDs).

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:27 am

Some TVs probably too picky to frequencies of audio.

breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby breiztiger » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:19 am

hi

i think it's more a detect problem

on my Samsung monitor witch some core doesn't have sound when lauch, to recover sound in hdmi i want to swap entry for sound

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Will it be possible to add a clock/time in the "System - Information" screen when in a core?
Currently this screen shows only the IP or nothing.

Return to “MiSTer”