Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Prombles
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Prombles » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:05 pm

I'd like to use my SNES Classic controller and Wii Classic Controller Pro, which have Wii plugs. Can anyone recommend the best method? It looks like 8bitdo makes a wireless adapter, which can be used in wired mode with a USB cable. I'm hoping someone has experience with this.

By the way, thanks to everyone involved in the MiSTer project. I've barely scratched the surface and it's already an exciting, rewarding experience.

cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cbo2188 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:43 pm

Prombles wrote:I'd like to use my SNES Classic controller and Wii Classic Controller Pro, which have Wii plugs. Can anyone recommend the best method? It looks like 8bitdo makes a wireless adapter, which can be used in wired mode with a USB cable. I'm hoping someone has experience with this.

By the way, thanks to everyone involved in the MiSTer project. I've barely scratched the surface and it's already an exciting, rewarding experience.

I use the NES and SNES Classic controllers with the Raphnet Adapter (Classic to USB). Works good for me.

I have the V2 but looks like they have a V3 but appears to only be 1 player. The one I have has ports for 2 players.

V3: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/w ... /index.php
One I have: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/w ... /index.php

baroncorvo
Atarian
Atarian

Noob question about MIster firmware file

Postby baroncorvo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm trying to set up my mister but can't get it to display over HDMI.

I've updated the firmware and menu core to the latest but only get a black screen. I've switched out the files on the sd card for older versions which works (so i know the board is fine) but when i run the updater script it downloads the latest versions and obviously, i get the same problem.

Any thoughts?

thanks

dshadoff
Atari User
Atari User

Postby dshadoff » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:32 pm

This may sound stupid, but try a different HDMI cable.
(This exact thing happened to me on the weekend, as I was setting mine up.)

Of course, it could be anything, but check simple things first...

baroncorvo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby baroncorvo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:52 am

dshadoff wrote:This may sound stupid, but try a different HDMI cable.
(This exact thing happened to me on the weekend, as I was setting mine up.)

Of course, it could be anything, but check simple things first...

Always good advice. I've actually solved it and it was annoyingly simple. I checked the cable, then the sd card. Finally i found out i was using an old version of the sd card creator tool. I'm an idiot :)

Thanks for the advice though

ragnar76
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ragnar76 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi there,

maybe this has been discussed before but i'm asking again: i'm thinking about to buy a 8bitdo gamepad (the sf30, for example: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0748S3GXG/). Does it work right away i do i need to buy the bulky bluetooth adapter (like https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0786JC6VW/) too?

thx

Nat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Nat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Yes you will need the 8BitDo Bluetooth adapter.
MiSTerFPGA Add-On Boards: UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/

zomgugoff
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby zomgugoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:22 pm

ragnar76 wrote:Hi there,

maybe this has been discussed before but i'm asking again: i'm thinking about to buy a 8bitdo gamepad (the sf30, for example: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0748S3GXG/). Does it work right away i do i need to buy the bulky bluetooth adapter (like https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0786JC6VW/) too?

thx

Nat wrote:Yes you will need the 8BitDo Bluetooth adapter.

I've actually had a really good experience with a generic CSR 4.0 bluetooth dongle instead of the 8BitDo dongle. I can sync and operate multiple controllers with 1 dongle and it's much smaller than the 8BitDo offering. It also allows for using other controllers and devices. Not sure if MiSTer supports it, but BT keyboard and mice would be a good use also. I suspect that a 5.0 device would also be fine.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapte ... 808&sr=8-7

JonnyTenebrous
Atarian
Atarian

Postby JonnyTenebrous » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:22 am

zomgugoff wrote:
ragnar76 wrote:Hi there,

thx

Nat wrote:Yes you will need the 8BitDo Bluetooth adapter.

I've actually had a really good experience with a generic CSR 4.0 bluetooth dongle instead of the 8BitDo dongle. I can sync and operate multiple controllers with 1 dongle and it's much smaller than the 8BitDo offering. It also allows for using other controllers and devices. Not sure if MiSTer supports it, but BT keyboard and mice would be a good use also. I suspect that a 5.0 device would also be fine.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapte ... 808&sr=8-7

Same here. I have several 8Bitdo controllers and find that all of them work well with the MiSTer when connected with a small, cheap Bluetooth 4 dongle. The cool thing about 8Bitdo controllers is that you can power them on in XInput, DirectInput and, for many of them, Nintendo Switch modes. The MiSTer seems to accept all of these connections, no problem. The 8Bitdo USB Adapter is a useful thing - in comparison to a generic Bluetooth 4 dongle - for Windows PCs and Switch because it can accept connections from practically any major bluetooth-based controller and convert it into an input format appropriate for the host device (XInput for Windows, etc) without requiring use of any software utilities (this makes using PS3 and PS4 controllers on Windows and Switch very easy). But, again, for MiSTer - this isn't really necessary.

On the other hand, if you haven't purchased an 8Bitdo SF30 yet, you might consider looking into an 8Bitdo M30 2.4g controller (with USB adapter, not Megadrive Mini adapter) instead. Yes, it's a Megadrive/Saturn hybrid type of controller instead of SNES, but the 2.4g connection is much lower latency than Bluetooth (much less than 1 frame) - and also more consistent. Some people aren't very sensitive to that sort of thing, and some people are *really* sensitive to input latency (including me). Corded controllers are obviously even lower latency than 2.4g, but 2.4g is currently your best bet for wireless options in this regard. 8Bitdo don't make a 2.4g SNES controller yet which connects to a USB adapter (they only make one which connects to a SNES-type adapter)... I'll be all over that once they do :).

Kannibal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Regarding Portable Console Scaling

Postby Kannibal » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:05 am

What's up guys?

So a friend told me about the MiSTer FPGA and I was instantly convinced this is the solution I need for 240p gaming on my CRT TV without having to invest in consoles and expensive collector prices of gamess. Initially, the only consoles I was interested in were PC-Engine/TG-16 and Sega Genesis, but after watching SmokeMonster's demonstration of other consoles, including GBA and GBC, prospects for getting a MiSTer became a priority. The main concern I'd like to address in this thread is that I am worried that the cores for portable consoles will only support stretching the resolution to the screen's width. Do the cores for portable consoles support unscaled output in 240p?

Here are some pictures of what I would like to see when playing GBA games with the MiSTer on my CRT TV. CRT monitor was used as an example.

https://imgur.com/a/ToHdJuy

tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Regarding Portable Console Scaling

Postby tenshin2002 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am

Kannibal wrote:What's up guys?

So a friend told me about the MiSTer FPGA and I was instantly convinced this is the solution I need for 240p gaming on my CRT TV without having to invest in consoles and expensive collector prices of gamess. Initially, the only consoles I was interested in were PC-Engine/TG-16 and Sega Genesis, but after watching SmokeMonster's demonstration of other consoles, including GBA and GBC, prospects for getting a MiSTer became a priority. The main concern I'd like to address in this thread is that I am worried that the cores for portable consoles will only support stretching the resolution to the screen's width. Do the cores for portable consoles support unscaled output in 240p?

Here are some pictures of what I would like to see when playing GBA games with the MiSTer on my CRT TV. CRT monitor was used as an example.

If you use the I/O board or the direct video option in MiSTer you will have unscaled analogue RGB 240p output on your display.

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sqwirral » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:37 pm

Kannibal wrote:Here are some pictures of what I would like to see when playing GBA games with the MiSTer on my CRT TV. CRT monitor was used as an example.

Yep, GBA looks just like that, unscaled graphics with borders.

derFunkenstein
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby derFunkenstein » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:22 pm

What size are the standoffs for the DE10-nano? I want to get some more for use with a plastic case I'm cutting, so I can mount the system into the base of the case along with the USB hub. Right now I just have screws with rubber feet on the bottom of my unit, so I need to get some additional standoffs. I tried to use spare ones that came with my computer's case (Fractal Design Define R5) but they don't thread correctly into the existing standoffs.

Nat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Nat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:16 pm

The thread size is M3, then just order the required length of standoff you need.
MiSTerFPGA Add-On Boards: UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/

Kannibal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Kannibal » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:22 pm

tenshin2002 wrote:If you use the I/O board or the direct video option in MiSTer you will have unscaled analogue RGB 240p output on your display.

sqwirral wrote:Yep, GBA looks just like that, unscaled graphics with borders.

Thanks for raising my confidence in getting myself a MiSTer.

derFunkenstein
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby derFunkenstein » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:09 pm

Nat wrote:The thread size is M3, then just order the required length of standoff you need.

Thank you!

Kannibal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Kannibal » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:09 pm

Ok, so I've been almost obsessively looking at MiSTer FPGA videos these past few days. Is the purpose of it strictly for playing retro games? or can we expect development and ports of games to the MiSTer?

tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tenshin2002 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:48 pm

Kannibal wrote:Ok, so I've been almost obsessively looking at MiSTer FPGA videos these past few days. Is the purpose of it strictly for playing retro games? or can we expect development and ports of games to the MiSTer?

You dont understand the nature of FPGA by asking that question. An FPGA takes the form of whatever system a core is made for it, like SNES, NES, GBA etc. The FPGA is not a system in it self to develop or port a game to. You have to think of it like if you port a game to the SNES, like Super Mario Land then you can run it on MiSTer.

Im by no means technically savvy but I hope my explanation clears this up.

Kannibal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Kannibal » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:47 pm

tenshin2002 wrote:
Kannibal wrote:Ok, so I've been almost obsessively looking at MiSTer FPGA videos these past few days. Is the purpose of it strictly for playing retro games? or can we expect development and ports of games to the MiSTer?

You dont understand the nature of FPGA by asking that question. An FPGA takes the form of whatever system a core is made for it, like SNES, NES, GBA etc. The FPGA is not a system in it self to develop or port a game to. You have to think of it like if you port a game to the SNES, like Super Mario Land then you can run it on MiSTer.

Your answer totally clears up my question. I have to turn to homebrew development, essentially, for any of the consoles the MiSTer currently has cores for then, right? Definitely hyped for that cause there's a few rom hacks and full games I've been emulating up to this point and would love to see those roms

tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tenshin2002 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:58 pm

Kannibal wrote:
tenshin2002 wrote:

Your answer totally clears up my question. I have to turn to homebrew development, essentially, for any of the consoles the MiSTer currently has cores for then, right? Definitely hyped for that cause there's a few rom hacks and full games I've been emulating up to this point and would love to see those roms

Well I guess you can consider some ports made to MiSTer using the ARM CPU onboard like PrBoom (DOOM). But the ARM side is not what makes MiSTer stand-out (as it is weaker than competitors like RPi). The FPGA side is whats truly interesting and its on the FPGAs logical elements that a Core is concieved.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BigMac740p » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:07 pm

tenshin2002 wrote:
Kannibal wrote:What's up guys?

If you use the I/O board or the direct video option in MiSTer you will have unscaled analogue RGB 240p output on your display.

Just beware, since portable consoles doesn't output CRT signal, If you want to play those game on a CRT you have to go thru the internal scaler and forced to 480p.

TempleSidekick
Atarian
Atarian

Postby TempleSidekick » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:04 am

Kannibal wrote:
tenshin2002 wrote:

It all depends on what you actually want to do. If you just want to make a game that would run on one of the existing cores, you can, but that's not why you buy an FPGA board. With this, take a step back and consider building a brand new system, or sound chip, or video processor. You can think of something that x86 CPUs are naturally bad at, and implement a solution many times faster in the FPGA.

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sqwirral » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:16 pm

BigMac740p wrote:
tenshin2002 wrote:If you use the I/O board or the direct video option in MiSTer you will have unscaled analogue RGB 240p output on your display.

Just beware, since portable consoles doesn't output CRT signal, If you want to play those game on a CRT you have to go thru the internal scaler and forced to 480p.

GBA outputs 240p fine on my CRT

sarcoptic
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sarcoptic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Well as of this morning I am an official owner of the DE10-Nano. Now time to pick up some addons. I don't really need any other video output other than HDMI, so should I just skip the I/O board? Not really seeing any immediate benefit to it? As for the RTC clock...it looks like currently there is now console cores that require it so again going to skip that one as main purpose will be to emulate the gaming consoles that it can. So the plan is to grab a USB board (don't want to deal with an external hub) and 32mb SDRAM to start. This is really all I need for now right? Any input would be appreciated!

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BigMac740p » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:53 pm

sarcoptic wrote:Well as of this morning I am an official owner of the DE10-Nano. Now time to pick up some addons. I don't really need any other video output other than HDMI, so should I just skip the I/O board? Not really seeing any immediate benefit to it? As for the RTC clock...it looks like currently there is now console cores that require it so again going to skip that one as main purpose will be to emulate the gaming consoles that it can. So the plan is to grab a USB board (don't want to deal with an external hub) and 32mb SDRAM to start. This is really all I need for now right? Any input would be appreciated!

You don't really need the I/O Board if you don't need the dedicated analog output, but be sure to have a heatsink and an active cooling solution because the De10-Nano doesn't have any thermal management and can go very hot. The users buttons and LEDs can be directly hook on the GPIO if your are confident enough to tinker with electronics. As for the RTC clock, it is the least needed module since if you have network access the time and date is set automatically tru NTP at boot. To start, you don't even need a USB hub, a OTG-USB cable is enough for a single input device (Keyboard or Gamepad).

Return to “MiSTer”