Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

xav2075
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Newbie questions

Postby xav2075 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Retro computer games look glorious on a quality CRT monitor so I would get the IO board that has VGA output to complete the retro gaming experience.
I prefer optical digital audio output that is clearer and will not have any low volume hum that a regular analogue audio out could have. So another reason to get the IO board. Or if you don't want to get the IO board then you could get a HDMI audio stripper of ebay for £10. That will give a separate audio output from the HDMI output of the DE10-Nano.

You can get 3.3v or 5v to power a fan from the pin headers https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/DE10NanoDevelopmentBoard

Mlaurito
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Mlaurito » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:07 am

xav2075 wrote:I use a 12V power supply that goes into a 5v volt UBEC rated at 3 amps. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-UBEC-5V-6 ... SwjXZcrGAo) These UBEC devices are used in radio control cars, planes, etc and convert a voltage between 5.5v to 26v and convert it to 5v. This setup gives enough power to the DE10-Nano for it to work without any side effects that I otherwise get with the standard psu when using a usb otg hub and a mouse, keyboard and game controller plugged into that.

A lot of 5 volt 3 amp psus can't really give up to 3 amps. But if I was going to buy one a good choice t could be the official Raspberry Pi 4 PSU (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ty ... er-supply/)

I am using this one : https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B076Y23T5Z and seems to be doing a good job powering an 8bitdo controller and a wireless keyboard (through passive otg hub), if anyone needs more testing just let me know...

RealLarry
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby RealLarry » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Just got my first MiSTer complete and working. Awesome system! A fantastic work Sorgelig has done - as many times before MiSTer.
But the wiki leaves me some technical questions:
- Is a power source of 2000mA sufficient for a light setup? (all boards, keyboad, mouse, cabled joypad)
- How to change it's linux's hostname permanently? (as I'm building a 2nd MiSTer and want different names on my local DNS) Solved by simply editing /etc/hostname - as with any other *nix.
- What is the max. possible size for the DE10's and IO board's sd card?
- Can I use an external HDD with the USB hub/board? I assume yes (as long as the power supply is sufficient), as I used a 128GB usb stick without any problems...

Thanks in advance - and donation to Sorgelig will follow...
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

ragnar76
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ragnar76 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:43 pm

RealLarry wrote:Just got my first MiSTer complete and working. Awesome system! A fantastic work Sorgelig has done - as many times before MiSTer.
- Is a power source of 2000mA sufficient for a light setup? (all boards, keyboad, mouse, cabled joypad)
- How to change it's linux's hostname permanently? (as I'm building a 2nd MiSTer and want different names on my local DNS) Solved by simply editing /etc/hostname - as with any other *nix.
- Can I use an external HDD with the USB hub/board? I assume yes (as long as the power supply is sufficient), as I used a 128GB usb stick without any problems...

Thanks in advance - and donation to Sorgelig will follow...

- I have a 5V 2100mA power supply (10.5W) and it works very well with the IO-Board, SDRAM, USB Hub and a Retroflag USB-Joypad
- dunno. here are some testings viewtopic.php?t=33933 . i prefer to have multipe cards with different content
- as storage? i would say yes and no. if you plugin a thumbdrive or external hdd and select "switch to usb" mister tries to boot from it. but i'm pretty sure you can use it from the linux side (regular mount)

RealLarry

Postby RealLarry » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:13 am

ragnar76 wrote:
RealLarry wrote:Just got my first MiSTer complete and working. Awesome system! A fantastic work Sorgelig has done - as many times before MiSTer.

- I have a 5V 2100mA power supply (10.5W) and it works very well with the IO-Board, SDRAM, USB Hub and a Retroflag USB-Joypad
- dunno. here are some testings viewtopic.php?t=33933 . i prefer to have multipe cards with different content
- as storage? i would say yes and no. if you plugin a thumbdrive or external hdd and select "switch to usb" mister tries to boot from it. but i'm pretty sure you can use it from the linux side (regular mount)

Thanks for the link, I haven't found this or was blinded with russian rocket science :)
And yes, I'd like to use the HDD as a storage. Will test this later this day.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

grandalf
Atarian
Atarian

New AIO and 128Meg ram

Postby grandalf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Ok, Ive just upgraded my old 32meg AIO board and new usb hub to the new AIO with the 128meg xsram etc vert. if Im using the 5th month menu.rbf and firmware 6th mth i get the menu up but when i load say amiga, just goes black and nothing continues. I have been told that i need the latest core and firmware for 128 module. My issue is, even with the old 32meg AIO, i could not also use anything past the 5th mth 2019 menu.rbf and it would not bring up the menu either. If i use say tho, the 5th mth menu and latest firmware, the three lights light up, orange/green/red, which should work, but then no still black screen, green and orange light tho are alternately blinking. Im at a bit of a loss here, im assuming we all have the same de10 boards? I have also reformatted and used the latest installer to setup sdcard again. Nothing makes sense. any ideas, odd it wont work with anything past 5th mnth on both firmware and menu, and obviously i need it for this 128meg module. Ive tried also another 128meg module same issue.
(On a side note, the new USB hub seams to have 9 ports, too are for pwr by the look of it, Ive no idea whether im supposed to put pwr in here tho, it seams powered anyways as things light up when plugged in ok I dont know if this has something to do with the issue or not above anyways.)

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:24 am

@grandalf this might be totally wrong in your case but happened to me once when I started using the DE-10 NANO in the beginning so worth a try. Are you using the updater script to get the rbfs? If yes, ignore the rest, I dont know what happened.

If you are manually putting the rbf on the sd card:
Are you sure your amiga rbf is correct? :

Can you navigate to this page
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... 190717.rbf
and then LEFT click download and save it on sd card, run that same file and check?

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:42 am

Noob question and poss obvious or answered before but when MISTER's DE10 nano FPGA is much bigger than Vampire's FPGA what reasons are there that we don't have the features Vampire has (RTG, faster CPU, etc) for Amiga core?

hyperterminal

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:46 am

Methanoid wrote:Noob question and poss obvious or answered before but when MISTER's DE10 nano FPGA is much bigger than Vampire's FPGA what reasons are there that we don't have the features Vampire has (RTG, faster CPU, etc) for Amiga core?

I assume the only reason is that the creators of Vampire don't want to share their source.

grandalf
Atarian
Atarian

Postby grandalf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:52 am

crocky wrote:@grandalf this might be totally wrong in your case but happened to me once when I started using the DE-10 NANO in the beginning so worth a try. Are you using the updater script to get the rbfs? If yes, ignore the rest, I dont know what happened.

If you are manually putting the rbf on the sd card:
Are you sure your amiga rbf is correct? :

Can you navigate to this page
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... 190717.rbf
and then LEFT click download and save it on sd card, run that same file and check?

Thx for that, I had to format the sdcard again with the 64bit format/install and then as you start with default files again and then i manually updated to the latest firmware and amiga core. It finally booted thank god. Yes, interestingly im not running 3.1.4 as yet, but i have it, when i get to wb, i only see 8 meg fast ram. Im assuming you need 3.1.4 to see the 128meg ram.

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Maybe someone who knows Amiga can chime in, I am not familiar with it at all.

batyrlan82
Atarian
Atarian

Postby batyrlan82 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Hello guys!

Will be emulate Midway Wolf unit? I would be very glad to play arcade versions of UMK3 and Wrestlemania Arcade on MiSTer.

Thank you.

bodine1231
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bodine1231 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Im having a hard time getting the scanlines to line up correctly using the custom filters on page 2 of the options. If I use the scanline option in the "Scandoubler FX" on the first page,they look correct. I've tried changing vscale_mode in the .ini but it doesnt help. I also get this nasty vertical shimmering,its looks like the scanlines are scrolling up when moving vertically,you can see it in the grass in my video below.

I'm on a 4k Oled. I've tried setting the Mister to both 720p and 1080p and tried various combinations of scan/no scan,original,16:9,etc on my TV. Everything on the Mister is up to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rUnac4FWY

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm

If you don't want to see a shimmering then don''t use scanlines filter. Use one of Lanczos filters. And it's better to use high resolution like 1080p.

bodine1231
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bodine1231 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:10 pm

I'm just confused as to why the custom scanlines are so off as opposed to the Scandoubler which are perfectly uniform. I feel like there is a setting I'm missing somewhere.

bodine1231
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bodine1231 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:19 pm

Also getting some tearing on vertical parts,especially shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7QiNPK9b8

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:45 am

Last edited by crocky on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:45 am

Last edited by crocky on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:46 am

batyrlan82 wrote:Will be emulate Midway Wolf unit? I would be very glad to play arcade versions of UMK3 and Wrestlemania Arcade on MiSTer.

No...

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

What type of power cable do the DE10 Nano and Blisster use?

Postby RabidWookie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:28 am

I'm building a case for the mister w/blisster board and would love to find a right angle power cable for connecting the blisster and mister to each other without having the cable sticking out the back. Can anyone identify the specific name of the power cable so I know I'm looking for the correct type of cable? Thank you for your help.

sajattack
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: What type of power cable do the DE10 Nano and Blisster use?

Postby sajattack » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:23 am

RabidWookie wrote:I'm building a case for the mister w/blisster board and would love to find a right angle power cable for connecting the blisster and mister to each other without having the cable sticking out the back. Can anyone identify the specific name of the power cable so I know I'm looking for the correct type of cable? Thank you for your help.

You could try the usb bridge pcb available from the MiSTer Hardware github.

danielb
Atariator
Atariator

Postby danielb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 am

Hi everyone,

I assembled my MiSTer yesterday. Everything seems to be working OK with one small exception - the Commodore 64 core does not seem to work with my very generic controller pad. All the other cores that I have tried do work with the controller. I notice there seems to be no "swap joysticks" option on this core, could this be something to do with it?

Can anyone suggest where I should be looking?

Thanks to everyone involved for the great work!

D.

GoingDown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby GoingDown » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 am

danielb wrote: I notice there seems to be no "swap joysticks" option on this core, could this be something to do with it?

There definitely IS swap joysticks option, but I do not remember what it is called.

danielb
Atariator
Atariator

Postby danielb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:31 pm

GoingDown wrote:
danielb wrote: I notice there seems to be no "swap joysticks" option on this core, could this be something to do with it?

There definitely IS swap joysticks option, but I do not remember what it is called.

Thanks. I found it. I hadn't realised that the OSD menus are scrollable. I'm pretty sure that they aren't on the Mist, which I've had for several years.

D.

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

NES core giving me a blank white screen, loading roms does nothing

Postby RabidWookie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:35 am

Can anyone help me figure out what the issue is? Other cores seem to work properly.

Return to “MiSTer”