Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Newbie questions

Postby laserdisc » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:22 am

z00pster wrote:
z00pster wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Leave on USB only mouse and try again.
May be you need to try other USB hub or just try mouse on other USB port.

Tried that and another borrowed USB 3 powered hub but no joy. I'm going to order the MiSTer USB hub add-on either way. Someone else reported the same issue on the Discore mister-help channel. Thanks.

Just had a FB message from another MiSTer user who spotted the same problem since the new update.

LOL I missed this post by 20 minutes, I reverted back to MiSTer_20190404 and the mouse issue went away.

acephd
Atarian
Atarian

New to MiSTer; a couple of issues with the SNES and Gameboy cores

Postby acephd » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi all! I have been messing around with the MiSTer for a few days now and I have been mostly successful with it! I have a couple issues related to the console cores and hopefully someone knows the answers!

For the SNES core, most games I have tried to run work fine. I saw that the SNES core had support for Super FX chip games, however my mileage here varies. Star Fox seems to work well from my testing. Kirby Super Star usually does not get much past the opening video without it crashing and glitching out. I usually have to hard reboot after this. And Yoshi's Island sometimes I can play a little bit, there's usually some minor distortion of the sprites. Some other times it doesn't load at all similar to the way that Kirby Super Star behaves.

The Gameboy core works really well with the exception of the Gameboy Color only games. I have the boot rom where it's supposed to be, so these load. But I have similar issues to KSS and Yoshi's Island like with the SNES core; the sprites aren't drawing in correctly. I tried to play Pokemon Crystal and when you boot it up the text boxes don't draw correctly, so you end up with some of the sprite colors from higher up on the screen being used as like, a substitute for the text color down on the bottom of the screen. Mega Man Xtreme usually doesn't load the floor of the stage, so you just end up dying.

I'm using the DE-10 Nano Board, I have a USB hub board installed, and I have a vertical SDRAM installed. As far as I can tell I have the latest versions of the MiSTer core, and the latest SNES/Gameboy cores as well. All the other games and cores I have launched have not had any issues. NES, Genesis, MS, GG all work great, as well as the Arcade cores I have tried.

Because I'm new to this, I'm not sure how to start trouble shooting these issues! Are these games just not compatible with the current versions of the cores? The only thing I can figure is I have insufficient cooling; there's no heatsink on the CPU, and I don't have any fans on it yet (I have an I/O board with a fan on the way.)

Anyway! Any information you all can provide would be super helpful. Thanks!

paulbnl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby paulbnl » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Those games should work. Test your SDRAM with the Memtest core https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer

acephd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby acephd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:14 am

paulbnl wrote:Those games should work. Test your SDRAM with the Memtest core https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer

Thanks! I will test and report back!

acephd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby acephd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:49 am

paulbnl wrote:Those games should work. Test your SDRAM with the Memtest core https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer

So I'm running an auto test, and so far it's been going at 150MHz for 20 minutes with no errors. I'm gonna let it run for an hour to be sure, but barring any errors, what else can I look at to trouble shoot?

thanks!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Make sure you have active cooling. Without cooling it may work or may not - depending on specific conditions.

acephd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby acephd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Make sure you have active cooling. Without cooling it may work or may not - depending on specific conditions.

Cooling was my first thought. I have an I/O board with fan coming sometime next week hopefully. My memory seems fine; no errors at 150 MHz for almost an hour. I'll try the SNES games after I get the I/O installed and report back! Thank you!

acephd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby acephd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:27 pm

Update! I got cooling onto my board; I have a heatsink and a fan on there, and all of the SNES games I mentioned seem to work well from my quick test. The Gameboy games I mentioned remain unchanged. I recorded a quick video of an example with Pokemon Crystal. It seems to be the "Gameboy Color Only" games, with clear carts if I remember correctly, that have this problem from what I can tell. If it's a known issue that's fine but if other people can play these games fine then I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Aside from that everything is working well! In regards to the Gameboy Core, are real time clock features supported? Not a huge deal obviously but it would be nice for the few Pokemon games on the Gameboy Color that used them.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/nDJwB_FzgJU

simulant
Atarian
Atarian

Postby simulant » Tue May 07, 2019 12:28 pm

onaryc29 wrote:Hi,

from my understanding, all the cores and data must be put on a sdcard. It is possible to put the data on an external drive?

Edit :

The wiki for the diy concerning the io board has still the list components for 5.5 boards. The list is the same for the 5.6 version? Otherwise what are the missing items?

Thanks

Hi did you find out about the newer BOM as I wondered the same thing? :)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 pm

If everyone will wait for spoon-feeding then who will feed?
I'm not going to maintain the BOM. I buy many components in local store. So i'm not the one who makes the BOM.

simulant
Atarian
Atarian

Postby simulant » Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Sorgelig wrote:If everyone will wait for spoon-feeding then who will feed?
I'm not going to maintain the BOM. I buy many components in local store. So i'm not the one who makes the BOM.

I don't want any spoon-feeding either, but just wondered what components are needed to make some of the latest versions of the boards. If they are any differences to the Wiki boms then how can we make a board without a component list?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue May 07, 2019 3:05 pm

How about read the schematic?
I understand if question about specific connector or device, but resistors and capacitors?

simulant
Atarian
Atarian

Postby simulant » Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Sorgelig wrote:How about read the schematic?
I understand if question about specific connector or device, but resistors and capacitors?

Ok fair enough thanks I'll check the schematics in that case. I read the wiki "assembly DIY guide" which doesn't mention the schematics so I overlooked those. Sorry to waste your time.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue May 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Every board version has PDF with schematic and PCB.

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:33 am

mikealbert wrote:
mikealbert wrote:What's the best way to troubleshoot cores that fail to launch? Haven't used my MiSTer in a couple months, so I ran the updater script to get the latest files. Now I'm just seeing a black screen whenever I launch the NES or SNES core. I wiped my sd card, ran a fresh install and everything is working again. Any ideas of how to troubleshoot that sort of issue?

Thanks!

I should have mentioned earlier, but I'm seeing a black screen after hitting F12 and selecting a ROM.

I have the same problem. Did you find an answer?

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Sat May 11, 2019 6:01 pm

UART to USB (USB Mini-B) and USB Blaster II (USB Mini-B) ports on the DE10 nano, are these used for anything in MiSTer? Can you connect input devices, eg. keyboard, mouse, gamepad? My USB hub on the USB OTG port is full.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Sat May 11, 2019 7:25 pm

digitron wrote:UART to USB (USB Mini-B) and USB Blaster II (USB Mini-B) ports on the DE10 nano, are these used for anything in MiSTer? Can you connect input devices, eg. keyboard, mouse, gamepad? My USB hub on the USB OTG port is full.

they are used for development and debugging. You can connect via serial console and flash .sof files this way to make it easier to create and debug cores.

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Sun May 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks kitrinx :)

Anyone know how to save the last known path directory per core so you don't have to navigate through the folders each time you're loading a new rom? ty

stepea
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stepea » Mon May 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Is there anywhere in the UK, I can get a UK plug for the De 10 nano. Rather replace the shaver type adapter

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Tue May 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Trying to work out which bits are needed and what they do, to cost it all up before buying

1) De10 Nano - 100% needed and SD card of course. Is there a max size of supported SD card?

2) Ram board - some cores don't need but serious use means I need this

3) IO Board - this does analogue VGA and sound - it holds fan and powers that - anything else I need this for?

4) USB hub - is this just a USB hub or something special? I can see it can take power from MISTER but that means some soldering. It also looks like it connects via an external connection to the DE10nano USB so its not gonna look neat and tidy yes???

5) RTC board - Wiki says dont need this if you connect to net and use that for time. No RJ45 anywhere so only if I buy a compatible WiFi dongle yes?

6) 3D Printed cases - they look nice. Presumably the finer the printer I get this done on the better the final look.

Anything else I might need?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue May 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Methanoid wrote:3) IO Board - this does analogue VGA and sound - it holds fan and powers that - anything else I need this for?
4) USB hub - is this just a USB hub or something special?
5) RTC board
6) 3D Printed cases - they look nice. Presumably the finer the printer I get this done on the better the final look.

3) It also adds buttons for the OSD but it's not required if you don't need/want analogue output.
If you want a cheaper solution to hold a fan you can get a bare board, or some people sell acrylic plates that just holds the fan.
(note that for sound eg. using a headset, you can also use an HDMI splitter or converter to get it from the TOSLINK optical output)

4) It's just an USB hub, the only special thing is that it fits nicely under the MiSTer (much nicer than jamming a random hub in a case IMHO).
Mine has a cable to power the MiSTer + the USB board, it sticks out a bit but it's not too bad.

5) Not needed unless you care about time or use the PC cores that use it.

6) I use that, yes the finer the output the better, but honestly it doesn't matter that much after you use it for a bit.

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Tue May 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Newsdee wrote:
Methanoid wrote:3) IO Board - this does analogue VGA and sound - it holds fan and powers that - anything else I need this for?
4) USB hub - is this just a USB hub or something special?
5) RTC board

3) It also adds buttons for the OSD but it's not required if you don't need/want analogue output.
If you want a cheaper solution to hold a fan you can get a bare board, or some people sell acrylic plates that just holds the fan.
(note that for sound eg. using a headset, you can also use an HDMI splitter or converter to get it from the TOSLINK optical output)

4) It's just an USB hub, the only special thing is that it fits nicely under the MiSTer (much nicer than jamming a random hub in a case IMHO).
Mine has a cable to power the MiSTer + the USB board, it sticks out a bit but it's not too bad.

5) Not needed unless you care about time or use the PC cores that use it.

6) I use that, yes the finer the output the better, but honestly it doesn't matter that much after you use it for a bit.

Thanks for the advice. I will skip the RTC then (thought I wasnt gonna need it)

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 pm

stepea wrote:Is there anywhere in the UK, I can get a UK plug for the De 10 nano. Rather replace the shaver type adapter

You also need to be careful with those adapters as they can often be low level Chinese hardware that isn't really safe to use.

I've been using one of these adapters for around seven months and it's been perfect for me, it is out of stock at the moment but hopefully it will help you find one somewhere else.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I also bought these so that I could power the DE10-Nano and USB board from the same adapter.

straddle
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby straddle » Sat May 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Wait, one of these is micro USB and the other is a cirular power plug... How do you connect them?

BitsNStuff wrote:
stepea wrote:Is there anywhere in the UK, I can get a UK plug for the De 10 nano. Rather replace the shaver type adapter

You also need to be careful with those adapters as they can often be low level Chinese hardware that isn't really safe to use.

I've been using one of these adapters for around seven months and it's been perfect for me, it is out of stock at the moment but hopefully it will help you find one somewhere else.

I also bought these so that I could power the DE10-Nano and USB board from the same adapter.

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Sun May 19, 2019 3:11 am

straddle wrote:Wait, one of these is micro USB and the other is a cirular power plug... How do you connect them?

As I said, the ones I bought weren't available when I posted that. Mine included a couple of Micro USB to barrel adapters, I'd imagine that many of them won't include them though.

These are the adapters that you'd require, this is a pack of ten but you may be able to find them in smaller quantities if you search.

As I said originally, I've had no issues at all with my power set up.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “MiSTer”