Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

flain
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Need help changing IP address in my MiSTer

Postby flain » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:03 am

Does your router (192.168.2.1) have a dhcp server on it? Why not just enable it? Pretty much 99% of home routers will have one you can just turn on.

theimporter
Atariator
Atariator

Postby theimporter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:28 am

flain wrote:Does your router (192.168.2.1) have a dhcp server on it? Why not just enable it? Pretty much 99% of home routers will have one you can just turn on.

To be honest, IP issue might be the least of my issues with this device right now. It would appear that my 4K TV has issues with cores programmed on the MiSTer FPGA. Half the times, they don't show any picture, only the sound plays. I know it's a display issue because I'm dual outputting on an old LCD monitor via VGA and I do see the picture (except for SNES, doesn't seem compatible with the monitor for some reason). Which core will work right after booting and which one will work again after resting is a crap shoot, there's no logical pattern.

Also, when a core does show a picture, I'm always missing part of the picture on the top and/or bottom and besides resizing the picture size on my TV, I see no solution for this.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 am

If you use a clean SD card without any tweaks for low lattency or vsync lock, then Your TV is crap, sorry.. 4K doesn't mean high-end. Just selling point - nothing more. If your TV can't display 1280x720p60 then it's really crappy TV. Especially you didn't even configure your TV for PC video and getting picture cut.
If you use someone's SD card configured for specific needs, then it's your fault using the features without understanding the meaning.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:50 am

theimporter wrote:Also, when a core does show a picture, I'm always missing part of the picture on the top and/or bottom and besides resizing the picture size on my TV, I see no solution for this.

I don't see you looking for solution. You just show your frustration. Sell it to someone else and get the Raspberry Pi. It's much cheaper and has turn-key SD images.
MiSTer is not a product. It's hobby project. If you don't understand it, then it's not for you.

Shazz
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Shazz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi,
Another newbie question...
I saw some posts where people use their MiSTer on a CRT TV (not monitor), which kind of port could be used ? antenna ? composite ? And with which adapter ?

Thanks ! That's great on my HDMI tv but could be could to run it on my good old small CRT tv :)
...8bits are enough...

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Shazz wrote:Hi,
I saw some posts where people use their MiSTer on a CRT TV (not monitor), which kind of port could be used ? antenna ? composite ? And with which adapter ?

Thanks ! That's great on my HDMI tv but could be could to run it on my good old small CRT tv :)

You need the IO board for that and you would then use the VGA port with an RGB Scart cable, same as the one used for the MiST: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... ScartCable . Alternatively a YPbPr (component) cable can be used: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... PbPr_Cable

You can get suitable scart cables at least from these two sellers:
https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=116
https://amigastore.eu/en/512-mist-scart ... rt-tv.html

Hewhoisred
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Hewhoisred » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:42 pm

Shazz wrote:Hi,

This inexpensive cable from Amazon works like a charm for component out if your CRT supports it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3WVV99

cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cbo2188 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:06 am

Noob post: For Mortal Kombat 1 on the Genesis, I'm pretty sure you can use 6 button mode but I can't get it to work. Tried PS4 controller and SNES Classic Controller with Raphnet Adapter. Does anyone happen to know if there is a trick to this? Thanks!

JamesF
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby JamesF » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:12 am

6 button mode is currently very buggy and may cause glitches in games, use 3 button mode for now.

theimporter
Atariator
Atariator

Postby theimporter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:17 am

cbo2188 wrote:Noob post: For Mortal Kombat 1 on the Genesis, I'm pretty sure you can use 6 button mode but I can't get it to work. Tried PS4 controller and SNES Classic Controller with Raphnet Adapter. Does anyone happen to know if there is a trick to this? Thanks!

For Comix Zone, I activated the multitap option and this enabled the 6 button pad automatically. Don't know why, but it works.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:56 am

JamesF wrote:6 button mode is currently very buggy and may cause glitches in games, use 3 button mode for now.

bullshit! Where you got it?
6 buttons mode is 100% compatible with original HW. I suggest to study the subject before make such wrong conclusion.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:03 am

cbo2188 wrote:Noob post: For Mortal Kombat 1 on the Genesis, I'm pretty sure you can use 6 button mode but I can't get it to work. Tried PS4 controller and SNES Classic Controller with Raphnet Adapter. Does anyone happen to know if there is a trick to this? Thanks!

MK1 has no support for 6 buttons. It starts to support 6 buttons from MK2.

theimporter
Atariator
Atariator

Postby theimporter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:13 pm

Sorgelig wrote:

MK1 has no support for 6 buttons. It starts to support 6 buttons from MK2.

Actually, while the manual doesn't specify it, it does work with the 6 buttons controller:

X: Low Punch
A: High Punch
Z: Low Kick
C: High Kick
B & Y: Block

Hewhoisred
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Hewhoisred » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm

theimporter wrote:Actually, while the manual doesn't specify it, it does work with the 6 buttons controller:

i will check it.

cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cbo2188 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. This project is already awesome so I don't think you need to spend your time digging into this. 6 buttons have worked great on other games I have tried. This is extremely minor, in my opinion, and just for one game. Thanks again!

theimporter
Atariator
Atariator

Postby theimporter » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:42 am

Sorgelig wrote:
theimporter wrote:Actually, while the manual doesn't specify it, it does work with the 6 buttons controller:

i will check it.

Just loaded MK1 with the Genesis core, it doesn't work, tried fiddling with the multitap settings like I did with Comix Zone, but no go. It works fine on my real Genesis using my EverDrive and on an emulator on my PC, but 6 buttons simply doesn't seem to work on the MiSTer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the fact that MK1 on Genesis came out before the 6 button controller was out would have made this game the first one to be ever compatible with the 6 button layout. The developers obviously had prototypes for the controller to make it work, so perhaps something changed in the final revision of the controller. If that's the case, then it could be a reason why 6 buttons doesn't work with MK1 on the Genesis core. That being said, still don't know why I need to enable multitap in Comix Zone to get my 6 buttons, but whatever.

funkybunch1984
Atarian
Atarian

Postby funkybunch1984 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:19 am

I'm totally confused how to set 240p for a perfect interger scaling on 1200p

I get the i/o board and connect my Dell2007fb (1600x1200) via VGA but only a few ROMs work in fullscreen. When i choose the SNES Core for example the Super Mario World ROM fit's perfectly to the screen. But every other ROM (no matter if it is a US or EUROPE version) i get a black border around the screen.

The picture looks stretched fine like 4:3 ratio and is sharp, but it looks like there is a activated overscan option :shrug:

I got the same problem with every other core except NES.

I've set integer scaling only but why is it not scaled up 5 times and stretched in width?

spark2k06
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spark2k06 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:23 pm

Is there a way to autoboot any core at first boot using a configuration file, such as a new entry in MiSTer.ini, firstboot = 'Amstrad_20190221.rbf' or similar? So, when returning to the main menu, do not start the default core indicated, and only boot default core on the first boot.

I think it could be very interesting to start the user favorite core in the first boot of the MiSTer. 8)

spark2k06
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spark2k06 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:54 pm

spark2k06 wrote:Is there a way to autoboot any core at first boot using a configuration file, such as a new entry in MiSTer.ini, firstboot = 'Amstrad_20190221.rbf' or similar? So, when returning to the main menu, do not start the default core indicated, and only boot default core on the first boot.

I think it could be very interesting to start the user favorite core in the first boot of the MiSTer. 8)

Another option. Entry into MiSTer.ini called simply 'coreboot'. This would be updated every time a core is selected (or menu core) ... so that if the last selection is the core of AmstradCPC, and the MiSTer is disconnected, when reconnecting it it returns to the AmstradCPC. If the last selection is the menu, when you reconnect, start the menu. Of course, optional, if the entry not exists or is commented, the boot would be the usual, always the menu when the MiSTer is connected.

mmmonkey
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mmmonkey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 pm

I was thinking about the same thing the other day. I know it’s not a massive hardship to select a core to run, but it would be nice if you wanted to focus on just one core to play through that game/library of games - or if you were putting it in an arcade cab or consolising the board.

Pete

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:18 am

@Sorgelig
Volume control in OSD can only be changed when holding an arrow key, this makes it difficult to move one click at a time.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 pm

JamesF wrote:@Sorgelig
Volume control in OSD can only be changed when holding an arrow key, this makes it difficult to move one click at a time.

This is a bug. You can use gamepad till i fix it.

paulbnl
Atari User
Atari User

Postby paulbnl » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm

funkybunch1984 wrote:When i choose the SNES Core for example the Super Mario World ROM fit's perfectly to the screen. But every other ROM (no matter if it is a US or EUROPE version) i get a black border around the screen.

You are probably using the European versions of Super Mario World. That one is using 239p mode. The rest of the games use 224p mode so that is why you get a black border with integer scaling.

spark2k06 wrote:Is there a way to autoboot any core at first boot using a configuration file, such as a new entry in MiSTer.ini, firstboot = 'Amstrad_20190221.rbf' or similar?

You could rename the core to menu.rbf

spark2k06
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spark2k06 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:23 am

paulbnl wrote:
You could rename the core to menu.rbf

I know, but it does not seem like an elegant way to do it. I am developing a solution to this approach, based on the lastcoreboot = 1 variable that I comment. I am in the debugging phase (I do not have much time for tests either), and when I have it ready I will attach it here. I will also do a pull request in case Sorgelig thinks it is convenient, but I want it even if it is for personal use.

Return to “MiSTer”