https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

AndreasWachter
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

Postby AndreasWachter » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:59 pm

BBond007 wrote:
AndreasWachter wrote:Nice ! That’s also what I want for my MiSTer. Have gathered almost everything, new A1200.net case, Keyrah, waiting for the new A1200.net Key caps, and for the Leds I bought the http://www.a1200bifrost.com/ leds.
Maybe I will put it in the new A500 case, but for that I would need other leds... and I don’t know how to solve that.

The 1200bitfrost thing looks really cool!

I think to get it to work with MiSTer you may need build an interface board. The MiSTer LEDs are switched on ground and the stock A1200 LED thing uses a common ground. I did something similar in my CD32 MiSTer build and use optocouplers.

Thanks for the information. I have no electronics or soldering knowledge :shrug: , so I have to opt for something simple and easy to assemble. But I am very interested in what you say, also for the Vampire V4 I want to buy when available to put into the new A500 case.
I hope someone will develop (and sell) a complete A1200 and A500 LED solution for MiSTer (and Vampire).

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:36 pm

BBond007 and AndreasWachter, I am very seriously considering a similar setup. I never had an Amiga and am looking at a new white A1200 case and original design new keycaps. For those that want to go with ALL new parts, check out the Kipper2k new cherry switch replacement Amiga keyboard (ouch on the wallet!): http://amigaonthelake.com/new-a1200-rep ... escription

I have a Keyrah in a C64 breadbin I may experiment with, but the A1200 keyboard seems to have a more compatible key layout for the various computer cores. I also have both a Mist (with MIDI ports) and Mister to see what works best, etc. I definitely want to use the DB9 ports on the keyrah too (I forget how many fire buttons the V2 Keyrah supports).

BBond007, what are those panels and connections you have? Also, height wise, it looks like you have the I/O board - can you also fit the usb board or is that too tall (or even redundant)? I'd love to see how I'd set up the HDMI out, VGA or RGB (would be great to connect to my Commodore CRT), USB ports, etc. Does your setup allow the Keyrah's Power button to turn the MiSTer on and off too? So many questions! :)

EDIT: I should also look to see if there is room and if possible to ALSO fit a RPi3 or Vampire standalone and select via external toggle switch.

AndreasWachter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndreasWachter » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:01 pm

seastalker wrote:BBond007 and AndreasWachter, I am very seriously considering a similar setup. I never had an Amiga and am looking at a new white A1200 case and original design new keycaps. For those that want to go with ALL new parts, check out the Kipper2k new cherry switch replacement Amiga keyboard (ouch on the wallet!): http://amigaonthelake.com/new-a1200-rep ... escription

I have a Keyrah in a C64 breadbin I may experiment with, but the A1200 keyboard seems to have a more compatible key layout for the various computer cores. I also have both a Mist (with MIDI ports) and Mister to see what works best, etc. I definitely want to use the DB9 ports on the keyrah too (I forget how many fire buttons the V2 Keyrah supports).

BBond007, what are those panels and connections you have? Also, height wise, it looks like you have the I/O board - can you also fit the usb board or is that too tall (or even redundant)? I'd love to see how I'd set up the HDMI out, VGA or RGB (would be great to connect to my Commodore CRT), USB ports, etc. Does your setup allow the Keyrah's Power button to turn the MiSTer on and off too? So many questions! :)

EDIT: I should also look to see if there is room and if possible to ALSO fit a RPi3 or Vampire standalone and select via external toggle switch.

I am considering the Kipper2K option, but A1200.net has posted that a new keyboard (and more) is coming.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a1 ... ts/2525131
So I will keep collecting components!

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:54 am

Wow, TWO separate Amiga drop in replacement keyboard projects at the SAME time? Interesting that A1200 is doing their own. I wonder how they will differ? The wording on the A1200 update page mentions USB but that could just mean keyrah compatible. Still, it's an exciting year for Amiga fans and those of us that never had one. Seems like a great Mister case, so I may buy the separate components as I can get them.

AndreasWachter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndreasWachter » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 pm

seastalker wrote:Wow, TWO separate Amiga drop in replacement keyboard projects at the SAME time? Interesting that A1200 is doing their own. I wonder how they will differ? The wording on the A1200 update page mentions USB but that could just mean keyrah compatible. Still, it's an exciting year for Amiga fans and those of us that never had one. Seems like a great Mister case, so I may buy the separate components as I can get them.

And forgot...
Also to use the new Tank Mouse case that comes with the new A500 case I have bought the Laser upgrade for Amiga mice
https://amigastore.eu/en/559-laser-upgr ... -mice.html
and the USB joystick adapter
https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/
to use the tank mouse wherever I want. (The only thing I still need is a new DB9 tank mouse cable).

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:23 am

seastalker wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by panels and connections.
The usb cables are just these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Extens ... 3307104146

The aluminium thing is aluminium angle stock purchased from the hardware store which I painstakingly drilled and filed for all the ports. If I had to do it again I'd get an air-powered file - I ended up dehydrating myself and felt terrible the next day.

The HDMI cable is just one of those short HDMI extensions.
The Ethernet is just one of those couplers that snap into wall plate. I cut a slot in the aluminum that lets the snap thing hold it in place.

The Keyrah's switch is not easily accessible as I have use 3M molding tape to attach it to the bottom of the keyboard. I have implemented a different power switch. MiSTer does not really need to go through a formal shutdown process like RPi.

I do have AIO IO board... I have a lexan panel mounted to the bottom of DE10, and that is where I have put my velcro (to secure the DE10). I suppose without that you have enough height for the USB board, but I think having it external under the KB is better for cable management.

I really tried to keep this build on a small of budget as possible...

seastalker wrote:Wow, TWO separate Amiga drop in replacement keyboard projects at the SAME time? Interesting that A1200 is doing their own. I wonder how they will differ? The wording on the A1200 update page mentions USB but that could just mean keyrah compatible. Still, it's an exciting year for Amiga fans and those of us that never had one. Seems like a great Mister case, so I may buy the separate components as I can get them.

I think the A1200.net one is just key cap replacements and not the whole keyboard...

AndreasWachter wrote:And forgot...
Also to use the new Tank Mouse case that comes with the new A500 case I have bought the Laser upgrade for Amiga mice
https://amigastore.eu/en/559-laser-upgr ... -mice.html
and the USB joystick adapter
https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/
to use the tank mouse wherever I want. (The only thing I still need is a new DB9 tank mouse cable).

I do also have one of those laser upgrades for (a1200 mouse) to use on my real A1200/060. Bought it several years ago. It works great.

Still, That is a lot of coin to use a mouse which is not even wireless :)

I just picked a white Microsoft wireless mouse. Also then the mouse does not have to tie up one of my external USB ports.

The Competition Pro joystick cone that comes with the Commodore 64 Mini also works nice with MiSTer and has enough buttons to work the OSD... Its nice to look at, but for actual usage I prefer a gamepad or PS4 controller.

AndreasWachter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndreasWachter » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:44 am

BBond007 wrote:I think the A1200.net one is just key cap replacements and not the whole keyboard...

In the new post I mentioned above A1200.net has announced a Complete new Keyboard:
B2F3A516-53EB-45AF-B7B8-C2BF017B8C95.jpeg

BBond007 wrote:Still, That is a lot of coin to use a mouse which is not even wireless

I know .... but I have a WAF issue at home so the final goal is to have an A1200 / A500 (with Tank mouse) that houses a MiSTer / Vampire, but also is a wireless Keyboard-Mouse. For that I bought a Keyboard-Mouse Bluetooth Adapter
http://igg.me/at/nulaxy/x/18602109
2C16EF51-8719-4D95-BEB3-3F9AE6A5954A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Well, since this is the first time I've ordered front panels with the extruded case option, of course something went wrong. I got my panels, I got the rail kits, I got the screws, but the top/bottom/side panels didn't get added to the order. :lol: Oh well, I'll order them separately.

Anyway, here is the case as a skeleton. I'll post more pics when the rest arrives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:54 am

YES, it is possible to RGB your MiSTer! 8)
MiSTer_Overview1.jpg

I decided to put my MiSTer into a steel and aluminum instrument case, made by a company called Hammond. It's a bit expensive and overkill, but my device is now VERY protected.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf2/9C-1458.pdf
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/hammond-manufacturing/1458D3/HM338-ND/248067

I chose the 8"x8"x3" variation. I picked that size because I wanted a roomy case and it's fairly close to a "traditional" console in size. The NA NES for comparison is 10" wide by 8" long by 3.5" high.

The aluminum front and rear panels were milled using a manual (non-CNC) milling machine. My uncle is an accomplished metal worker and helped me with that. If anyone else wants the (rather complex) measurements needed to precisely cut out all of the holes for the front and especially the rear panels, let me know, as I think I can still get his notes.

Here is the back view, without the connectors. The DE10 and IO board are flush with the rear panel. The 3-hole aluminum piece was designed so that I can route new expansion cords in the future should I wish to do so. It separates into two halves and is held together internally with a strong rubber o-ring. Currently I have one power cord (shown) coming out that powers the marquee LEDs, which are driven by a 5v Arduino Nano (clone) which is inside the case.
MiSTer_back.jpg

Here is a back view with all of the cabling in place.
The network port is made by routing an extension cable internally to the DE10.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX86YD4
MiSTer_back_cabling.jpg

The front panel has three external buttons that also function as indicator lamps (LEDs). They plug into the external connectors on the IO board. I liked that I could consolidate the button and LEDs into one compact unit, streamlining things a bit.
I purchased them from Adafruit:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1439
The 4 usb ports on the front panel are made using 2 extension cables running inside and connecting to a 4-port unpowered hub (https://www.amazon.com/MakerSpot-Accessories-Charging-Extension-Raspberry/dp/B01JL837X8) which is connected to the MiSTer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FS4UB4M
MiSTer_Overview3.jpg

Internally things are a bit of a rat's nest. Cabling takes up space surprisingly fast. The DE10, which is cooled well via a 5v Noctua 40mm fan and good case venting, is covered up by the large acrylic marquee MiSTer logo that I designed. It is was made by spray painting the back side of a carefully measured rectangular piece of "plex" with black spray paint. After drying, a CNC laser was used to etch away the vector based logo. The laser was set to "frost" the logo so you can't sharply see the 8x6 LED matrix that lives underneath it. Even with the frosted effect, at first you could still clearly see each individual LED, so I built a little stage for the plex to sit on that moved the LEDs about 1/3" away from them. By defocusing the LEDs this way I was able to diffuse their light and achieve the smooth rainbow effect that I wanted. As for the LED strips themselves, they are WS2812B's:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LSF4QDM
I cut six 8 LED strips and pasted them down above and below each other to create a matrix. After wiring them, they can be driven with a cheap microcontroller. I used an Arduino Nano for this task:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q9YBO88
It was easy to find code online to drive the rainbow effect I wanted. I had to modify it a bit, but it's not hard to do cool things with these LEDs.
The marquee itself has a 1/4" lip which is pushed up tightly into a corner-rounded rectangular hole which was cut in the steel top "clamshell" of the instrument case.

Note: The LEDs are not powered by the DE10 itself. These LEDs can draw a lot of current, and although I certainly could power them that way, I did not want to overtax the DE10's circuitry, so I opted to take an old wall wort PSU I had and power them externally.
MiSTer_Inside.jpg

Please forgive this video that I made, but as a demonstration it works well enough I think. The audio is public domain and I had some fun playing around with effects--so feel free to mute. It was fun to make, but I know the footage ain't that great and I'm still a beginner.

Link to MiSTer Case Video---> https://youtu.be/hSAArUm49Aw

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm

drj3rk wrote:Well, since this is the first time I've ordered front panels with the extruded case option, of course something went wrong. I got my panels, I got the rail kits, I got the screws, but the top/bottom/side panels didn't get added to the order. :lol: Oh well, I'll order them separately.

Anyway, here is the case as a skeleton. I'll post more pics when the rest arrives.

I quite like the look of that, it'll be interesting to see what it's like when it's finished. I do like cases that reorganise things like the USB ports into something more manageable and in a more console like setup.

Once it's finished, it'll be interesting to know how much it cost you to buy everything that's required too.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:09 am

AndreasWachter wrote:In the new post I mentioned above A1200.net has announced a Complete new Keyboard:

Nice, I missed that. With that I could git rid of the Keyrah...

Hewhoisred wrote:YES, it is possible to RGB your MiSTer!

Awesome :) Nice work! :cheers:

...So many nice builds in this thread...

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:47 pm

BitsNStuff wrote:
drj3rk wrote:Well, since this is the first time I've ordered front panels with the extruded case option, of course something went wrong. I got my panels, I got the rail kits, I got the screws, but the top/bottom/side panels didn't get added to the order. :lol: Oh well, I'll order them separately.

I quite like the look of that, it'll be interesting to see what it's like when it's finished. I do like cases that reorganise things like the USB ports into something more manageable and in a more console like setup.

Once it's finished, it'll be interesting to know how much it cost you to buy everything that's required too.

Thanks for the kind words!

The rest of the panels show up this week. Here's a few more pics of a little more progress in the meantime. Right now the MiSTer PCBs are just sitting in the middle.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Rocket launch buttons rock! :mrgreen:

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Rocket launch buttons rock! :mrgreen:

I was recently getting into anti-vandal elevator buttons, but they're an expensive habit. :lol:

The ones I was using are in the upper right of this. (see pic) I'd have liked to have used them on my MiSTer but didn't have any Momentary-SPST ones on hand. They have a nice illuminated ring, which could take the place of the discrete LEDs.

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 pm

drj3rk wrote:
BitsNStuff wrote:

The rest of the panels show up this week. Here's a few more pics of a little more progress in the meantime. Right now the MiSTer PCBs are just sitting in the middle.

I really like the look of this case, I like that it's bulkier than many of them. I know you need a lot of space inside due to all the cables you need but it's so good to have the sockets exactly where they need to be.

I generally like my hardware to have a bit of weight too, it just makes things feel more substantial.

Do you know if you're going to be releasing the plans so that people can order them themselves or will you maybe be selling them yourself?

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:24 pm

BitsNStuff wrote:
drj3rk wrote:
BitsNStuff wrote:I quite like the look of that, it'll be interesting to see what it's like when it's finished. I do like cases that reorganise things like the USB ports into something more manageable and in a more console like setup.

I really like the look of this case, I like that it's bulkier than many of them. I know you need a lot of space inside due to all the cables you need but it's so good to have the sockets exactly where they need to be.

I generally like my hardware to have a bit of weight too, it just makes things feel more substantial.

Do you know if you're going to be releasing the plans so that people can order them themselves or will you maybe be selling them yourself?

I'm more than happy to zip up the drawing files and post them. I use Front Panel Express. You use their design software, and can place an order for the panels and enclosure kits right from it. They aren't the cheapest in the world, but they do excellent work. (plus they're directly between my work and my house) :lol:

This exact case comes in over $300, but that's because I did absolutely no optimization. The things that rack the price up are more engraving or printing marks, more drill-holes or shaped cutouts, color changes, etc. If I cut down the size a little bit, used less characters for the text, cut down on ports to the bare minimum (because it could still be opened up if the others were needed in a rare case for example) and chose the natural finish with black text, a single box would probably be under $200 I think. Maybe less. Also, if I had looked at the Terasic drawings and lined up one side of the IO to the rear panel (or even laid out a custom IO PCB that lined up) it would drastically reduce the need for all that space.

I also used completely custom sizes for the case parts rather than choosing something they have off-the-shelf sizing for like rack units for height for example, which made that part a bit more expensive.

So there are tons of options.

Once I test the panels this week, if everything lines up, I'll post the drawings. They can be very easily ordered. The software is free, so anyone could take this, and update it, make changes, optimize a bit, etc.

I was thinking about doing another version as well just for fun.

I agree, something with some weight to it just makes the overall experience nice. I love aluminum too.

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:09 pm

This exact case comes in over $300

Holy crap, and I thought I was going hard with my $45 instrument case!

That said, it's fine looking beast and I'm sure when you're done it'll be a stunner.

Also, if I had looked at the Terasic drawings and lined up one side of the IO to the rear panel (or even laid out a custom IO PCB that lined up) it would drastically reduce the need for all that space.

This is what I did when my uncle and I milled the rear aluminum panel on my case. I still have all of the measurements if you think you might like to try a flush up against style build next time.

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:48 pm

@Hewhoisred

Anything custom made like this is going to be pretty pricey, it's just the unfortunate cost of having to do anything like this. I do really like this but I also like the one that I posted on the previous page, obviously quite a saving with that one but it's also quite clear that it's not custom designed either.

The ONLY thing that I'm jealous of with the Raspberry Pi is that it's so popular that for £10 have a wide selection of high quality made to measure aluminium/plastic/wood cases for the board.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Hewhoisred wrote:
This exact case comes in over $300

Holy crap, and I thought I was going hard with my $45 instrument case!

That said, it's fine looking beast and I'm sure when you're done it'll be a stunner.

Also, if I had looked at the Terasic drawings and lined up one side of the IO to the rear panel (or even laid out a custom IO PCB that lined up) it would drastically reduce the need for all that space.

This is what I did when my uncle and I milled the rear aluminum panel on my case. I still have all of the measurements if you think you might like to try a flush up against style build next time.

I'd love to check out those measurements if you have time to post them sometime.

Yeah, it was definitely pricey, but I figured, I already put $350 into just buying all the MiSTer boards, more into controllers and things, etc. that it should have a good case. I've recently been looking at getting a SuperGrafx with SSDS3 which would end up around the same price, and not play half as many games, so that somewhat justified it to me. :lol: I've always wanted a SuperGrafx despite its limited native library, but I think I put enough effort into the MiSTer that I can let it go. (plus I can still play that library anyway)

Also, I meant to tell you that I love your case. I was on my phone when I saw it, and didn't want to try to chop up the quote on the phone. Nice work!

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm

BitsNStuff wrote:The ONLY thing that I'm jealous of with the Raspberry Pi is that it's so popular that for £10 have a wide selection of high quality made to measure aluminium/plastic/wood cases for the board.

Me too! I'm glad I put the case together that I'm working on, but when I was looking around, I saw a TON of cool Pi cases that I wished would work. I do love the Jack Burton / MisterAddons acrylic case as well. They even have a ton of interesting aluminum Pi cases at my local Frys. Super inexpensive too.

I thought about ditching the IO board, using an external USB hub, and squashing the DE10 board into a little anodized project box I found, but two things happened there. One is that I mangled it when attempting to make a cutout that I wanted, and two, I realized that I wanted the extra IO, and internally at least on my main MiSTer. I might go the more limited route with the alternative case I want to lay out. Just DE10+SDRAM I think, and a custom USB board for the front panel.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 pm

I got the bottom panel on last night, and the PCBs mounted to it. I thought I'd have some trouble getting all the extension cables to sit comfortably without having to rotate the PCBs to some odd angle. However, with a slight offset, I was able to get it to mount straight, and without too much of a mess. I still think I need to do a revised edition, but at least I know the sliding panels work now. (first time I've used them) Knowing this, I'll get the drawings zipped up and attached here in the next day or so in case anyone wants to mess with them.

Here's a pic of how it's mounted. Now to get the other panels.

Edit: Actually, I had the current revision here with me, so I'm attaching a ZIP file of the panels. To open them, get Front Panel Designer from http://www.frontpanelexpress.com It's free and works on Mac or PC.

If you want to order, you first need to run the enclosure generator, use W220mm x H90mm x D254mm for the dimensions, set the options, and let it generate the parts list for the rails and screws. Once that's in your shopping cart, you can just load in all the panels I've posted here, ignore the ones it generated in the enclosure dialog, and order. Like I mentioned before though, there are tons of ways that this case could be optimized to cost a lot less. Less IO for one, using the non-custom rack unit type of case option, choosing natural finish with black printing, etc. It might be a good idea to play with some of this first. I also made some macro objects for the connector cutouts, so you can easily move those around if you like. I'm also happy to answer questions as I've worked with this software for years.

Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lodovic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:30 am

I love that “flux capacitor” look!

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:58 am

Lodovic wrote:I love that “flux capacitor” look!

I thought octopus. :lol:

drj3rk wrote:I'd love to check out those measurements if you have time to post them sometime.

Ok, here are the notes. My uncle's milling machine, and thus his notes are set in inches, so metric folks will have to do some conversion.

The scans are from classic yellow pad paper, but I cleaned them up some:

These first 2 will probably be the most useful for those looking to do a flush to the panel style case:
Panel-Measurements-Notes_1.jpg

Panel-Measurements-Notes_2.jpg

These will be less useful, unless you get the same extension cabling that I purchased, which are linked in my first post.
Panel-Measurements-Notes_3.jpg

Panel-Measurements-Notes_4.jpg

Panel-Measurements-Notes_5.jpg

I hope these help someone.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:04 am

Thanks for all the kind words, and also thanks for posting those!

I got the LEDs and buttons connected today. Now I just have to pick up the sides and top.

I’ve been running it through that little TC Electronic effects box on the right. Seems a lot of the consoles sound nice with just a touch of chorus on them.

Couple of pics from today:

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:30 am

drj3rk wrote:Thanks for all the kind words, and also thanks for posting those!

I got the LEDs and buttons connected today. Now I just have to pick up the sides and top.

Cable management for the win. I seems like you've tamed them as best as they can be. I need some of those zip ties in mine. Prepare for more spaghetti with the external LED and button wiring, although some ribbon cable helps with that. Good luck with the last little bit of the build, very nice indeed.

Return to “MiSTer”