https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

Postby remowilliams » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Here is my standalone (not embedded somewhere) version of case:

That is a beauty of precise functional industrial design.

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I'm very satisfied by result. I like how it look: very small accurate case with precise holes - this is impossible to achieve on current home 3D printers. So with all MiSTer boards it's much smaller than 3D printed cases and doesn't look bulky.

Very nice indeed, love the color!

jdubs
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jdubs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:57 am

I'm very satisfied by result. I like how it look: very small accurate case with precise holes - this is impossible to achieve on current home 3D printers. So with all MiSTer boards it's much smaller than 3D printed cases and doesn't look bulky.

Killer!

-Jim

the1ross
Atarian
Atarian

Postby the1ross » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:21 am

My setup. CRT option both regular and tate. Edit: photo upload isn't working. Ignore this post.

espo83
Atarian
Atarian

Postby espo83 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Wood PLA on top black on bottom. Seemed fitting.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:34 pm

espo83 wrote:Wood PLA on top

Wood PLA looks fantastic. At least on picture.

espo83
Atarian
Atarian

Postby espo83 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:11 pm

It looks pretty nice in person. I had to sand it and stain it but I like the way it turned out. I used the Hatchbox stuff if anyone is wanting to try it. I looked at the amazon brand but it did not finish as nice.

Tripmonkeyuk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tripmonkeyuk » Sat May 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Built a mini-arcade from a Nintendo Switch holder that I got with the Switch version of Toki.

The holder is held together using elastic bands and can be completely flatpacked. I made sure all of the changes I made to it didn't stop it from working as a Switch holder, or would stop me from dismantling it when necessary.

I painted the inside white and clear coated both the insides and outsides.
I made a custom amplifier holder out of ice lorry sticks that's also held on by an elastic band. The amplifier can run on batteries if needed too.

It's not quite finished yet. I need to redo the glass screen cover and tidy the cables up a bit.
I'm also getting some speaker whine when in the menus, due to the speaker jack being so close to the HDMI angle bracket I'm using. Nothing that can't be sorted out easily enough though :)

Pictures can be viewed on my google photos here..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NRtMKZCXYoB7bWLe7

EDIT: The Mister can also be replaced with a RaspberryPi if needed too :)

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Sun May 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Very nice! I am actually somewhat surprised I have yet to see a YT video of a MiSTer project built into a small handheld like a Sega Nomad. A portable MiSTer that can still hook up to the big screen when needed would be awesome.

Tripmonkeyuk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tripmonkeyuk » Sun May 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks.
I felt the same way but don't really have the tools and equipment for making something like that.. Yet.

Having the Mister on a removable board, so I can take it down to my parents house when I go and plug it into the TV, is as close as I can get to that dream at the moment ;)

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Tue May 07, 2019 5:54 pm

20190402_115038.jpg
20190402_115105.jpg
20190402_113652.jpg
20190402_113716.jpg
20190402_113729.jpg
20190402_113755.jpg

I'm very satisfied by result. I like how it look: very small accurate case with precise holes - this is impossible to achieve on current home 3D printers. So with all MiSTer boards it's much smaller than 3D printed cases and doesn't look bulky.

Very nice! I'm not a fan of 3d printed cases even though they are effective and cheap!

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Wed May 08, 2019 9:43 pm

I don't actually have anything to show yet but after spending ages looking for something that would work well for me I think I'm going to buy a refurbished thin client case from eBay. Maybe a little too big for some but they're cheap and finally settling on a larger one rather than the smallest that's available means that I'll have more play inside for the PCBs, cables that I'll need and maybe a SSD or HDD.

I think I've finally settled on getting one of these.

Under £25 delivered, loads of room inside and loads of ports ready to use on the rear. The second image is obviously containing the expected hardware but buying a refurbished case means the ports will empty and ready to use. It'll be a while before it's all up and running but I'm pretty much settled on one of those cases now.

djmartins
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby djmartins » Thu May 09, 2019 4:39 am

BitsNStuff wrote:I think I've finally settled on getting one of these.

That will make a fine MiSTer case with room for anything one could desire!

MattE888
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby MattE888 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Freddo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Freddo » Tue May 21, 2019 6:19 pm

I'm calling this contraption MiSTer³

IMG_1118_small.jpg

IMG_1120_small.jpg

IMG_1121_small.jpg

IMG_1122_small.jpg

IMG_1123_small.jpg

IMG_1124_small.jpg

IMG_1125_small.jpg

IMG_1117_small.jpg

Case was donated by a friend, it was some kind of DOA Gamecube he got in a job lot. I've done a custom paintjob on it going for "SNES" grey (3 tones of grey).

I've tapped 2x 5v rails off the gamecubes original powersupply to power the MiSTer and its USB board. The Gamecube fan is powered straight off this so it's still working.

The power and reset buttons are both working, and the original gamecube LED is also working. It's a *very* tight squeeze internally requiring all kinds of strange right angle parts to fit. The RJ45 is also completely occluded. I've added bluetooth and wifi dongles to compensate, since access to the SD card requires disassembly now. I did try fitting SDCard extensions to it but none would work. There's also a wireless keyboard and mouse, and a FLIRC module (allows me to pop up the OSD and do simple stuff with an IR remote).

The Gamecubes cute little hatches on the bottom are concealing a USB extension I can use if I absolutely must plug something in (like more controllers or whatever).

I do have a question, in my fourth picture you can see the little wires I've used for the LED and Reset switch (orange,yellow, red, brown). I'm kind of just sticking those onto the pins there, it's really delicate basically flies apart if I look at it funny, which will be annoying once the lid is screwed on. There has to be some like proper connector part that can plug into the IO boards ext.buttons and ext.led headers. I just don't know what it is or how to find it, can anyone post me a part number or any advice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Wed May 22, 2019 1:30 am

You'll find the connectors on aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-l ... 33194.html

Took a while to get to California, maybe 3 weeks, so you'll need to be patient, but they're fairly inexpensive.

Tripmonkeyuk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tripmonkeyuk » Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Loving the GameCube mod.
I've got a broken GameCube here that I need to do something with. Can't afford another Mister setup though :(

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:15 am

Obviously my favorite build from this thread is Witchmaster's :) --> viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34703&start=25#p366491

This is my Amiga 1200 MiSTer build which is still work in progress...

I originally got into the MiSTer project (after looking into MiST) specifically for the Minimig core. I was originally enticed by the native HDMI output of MiSTer but disappointed by the lack of MIDI interface of the MiST. The project has gone way past my expectations (thanks to many people) and I have discovered much additional content on the other cores. I'm surprised by new progress almost every day! No disrespect to MiST, but I think I made the right decision...

Back when you could still buy an (Escom) PAL Amiga 1200 new old stock 'Magicpack' from Amigakit I bought one. Around the same time I also picked up a NOS USA keyboard for it - obviously I saved the UK keyboard knowing I'd find a use for it some day (and here we are 15 years later) :)

The case is one of the new reproduction ones from https://www.a1200.net and the keyboard is interfaced with a USB Keyrah V2 from Individual Computers. Those were the most expensive items other than the DE10 itself.

The rest of the stuff I already had because a number of years ago when I did a C= 64c Raspberry Pi build (with C= 16 KB) I bought way more USB and HDMI cables than I needed because if you are going to buy an inexpensive parts from China that takes forever in they mail for delivery, then you may as well get extras...

There is no F12 key on the Amiga, so I remapped the blank key between the left-shift and 'Z' key to F12 for the menu.

The DE10 is held in place by Velcro so it is easily removable - but I see no reason to remove it.

I have not connected the DB9 joystick ports (to the Keyrah interface) and I'm not sure I ever will.

I could not find the proper wide LEDs that Commodore used so I used superglue to connect 3 regular rectangular LEDs together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Freddo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Freddo » Thu May 23, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks Hewhoisred thats exactly what I needed.

TripmonkeyUK, you could always do a Rasberry Pi build in a GameCube case, I was inspired by this guys build:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Retropie-Gamecube-Case-Project/

Loving the look of your Atari build BBond007. Velcro to secure the MiSTer is an idea I shall be borrowing thankyou :D

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:17 am

Freddo wrote:Loving the look of your Atari build BBond007. Velcro to secure the MiSTer is an idea I shall be borrowing thankyou :D

Thanks,

I really like the look of your SEGA GameCube build too :)

:cheers:

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bazza12 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:11 pm

BBond007 wrote:This is my Amiga 1200 MiSTer build which is still work in progress...

I have not connected the DB9 joystick ports (to the Keyrah interface) and I'm not sure I ever will.

very nice job. I did the same thing with a raspberry pi a few years ago. but couldn't get the keyrah DB9 ports to work..

Tripmonkeyuk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tripmonkeyuk » Thu May 23, 2019 10:17 pm

Freddo wrote:
TripmonkeyUK, you could always do a Rasberry Pi build in a GameCube case...

Well my mini arcade can also run from a RaspberryPi, so there's not much point.

I might use the GameCube case to build an arcade supergun though. I've got plenty of old PC power supplies lying around and the Jamma connectors I need. Could be a fun little project :D

AndreasWachter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndreasWachter » Mon May 27, 2019 7:03 pm

BBond007 wrote:Obviously my favorite build from this thread is Witchmaster's :) --> viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34703&start=25#p366491

This is my Amiga 1200 MiSTer build which is still work in progress...

I originally got into the MiSTer project (after looking into MiST) specifically for the Minimig core. I was originally enticed by the native HDMI output of MiSTer but disappointed by the lack of MIDI interface of the MiST. The project has gone way past my expectations (thanks to many people) and I have discovered much additional content on the other cores. I'm surprised by new progress almost every day! No disrespect to MiST, but I think I made the right decision...

Back when you could still buy an (Escom) PAL Amiga 1200 new old stock 'Magicpack' from Amigakit I bought one. Around the same time I also picked up a NOS USA keyboard for it - obviously I saved the UK keyboard knowing I'd find a use for it some day (and here we are 15 years later) :)

The case is one of the new reproduction ones from https://www.a1200.net and the keyboard is interfaced with a USB Keyrah V2 from Individual Computers. Those were the most expensive items other than the DE10 itself.

The rest of the stuff I already had because a number of years ago when I did a C= 64c Raspberry Pi build (with C= 16 KB) I bought way more USB and HDMI cables than I needed because if you are going to buy an inexpensive parts from China that takes forever in they mail for delivery, then you may as well get extras...

There is no F12 key on the Amiga, so I remapped the blank key between the left-shift and 'Z' key to F12 for the menu.

The DE10 is held in place by Velcro so it is easily removable - but I see no reason to remove it.

I could not find the proper wide LEDs that Commodore used so I used superglue to connect 3 regular rectangular LEDs together.

Nice ! That’s also what I want for my MiSTer. Have gathered almost everything, new A1200.net case, Keyrah, waiting for the new A1200.net Key caps, and for the Leds I bought the http://www.a1200bifrost.com/ leds.
Maybe I will put it in the new A500 case, but for that I would need other leds... and I don’t know how to solve that.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 am

AndreasWachter wrote:Nice ! That’s also what I want for my MiSTer. Have gathered almost everything, new A1200.net case, Keyrah, waiting for the new A1200.net Key caps, and for the Leds I bought the http://www.a1200bifrost.com/ leds.
Maybe I will put it in the new A500 case, but for that I would need other leds... and I don’t know how to solve that.

The 1200bitfrost thing looks really cool!

I think to get it to work with MiSTer you may need build an interface board. The MiSTer LEDs are switched on ground and the stock A1200 LED thing uses a common ground. I did something similar in my CD32 MiSTer build and use optocouplers.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Thu May 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Just joined here, and thought I'd post this. I put this together last night, and got it ordered this morning. It's blue anodized panels with enclosure. The MiSTer will mount centrally inside, and use short panel-mount extension cables to get the IO to the panel. The buttons are Suzo-Happ convex arcade buttons.

Also, once it's ready, provided it works, I'd be happy to make the FPD files available, so anyone could order one of these from Front Panel Express. It's not terribly cost-effective right now, but tweaks can be easily made to the files that would save money. I went the somewhat lazy, and all-out routes with it instead of trying to optimize. The extension cables are all pretty inexpensive. They're under Panel Mount Cables at Adafruit.

(Panel drawings) I'll post real pics once the case arrives.

Return to “MiSTer”