https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

HugoCraft
Atarian
Atarian

Fan plate for those without IO boards

Postby HugoCraft » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:58 pm

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3184154

I have the DE10 Nano but since I'm waiting on the SDRAM addon and IO Board, I wanted to still be able to run a fan to cool the Intel Cyclone V and other components. You can still run a decent amount of the cores without the SDRAM board FYI.

The included stock clear plate is 2mm thick and to create new plates I used dimensions from the Terasic site for the length, width, and hole locations with diameters. Using a caliper I measured where the center of the Intel Cyclone, GPIO headers, and Arduino headers. Also I measured a 40mm fan since that is used with the IO board.

Files and description on thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3184154

DE10_Center_Y_Axis_Both_IO- I recommend this one for the top plate. It has 40mm fan in line with the Intel Cyclone on the X axis but fan is centered on the Y axis of the entire board. Cut outs for both GPIO and Arduino headers. With this plate the SDRAM addon board "should" fit but I can't test until I have that board.

DE10_Fan_Over_CPU_IO_Cutout- Fan is centered directly over the Intel Cyclone but only 2 mounting screws as to not interfere with the Arduino header. Cutout for the other GPIO headers. Can not use the SDRAM addon with this plate.

DE10_Fan_Over_CPU_Solid- no cutouts for GPIO. Fan is centered directly over the Intel Cyclone but only 2 mounting screws as to not interfere with the Arduino header. Can not use the SDRAM addon with this plate.

DE10_Solid_Blank- I recommend this as a bottom plate. Its solid plate which can be used under the DE10 Nano as spot to place a USB hub for example. I would not use this plate on top since it could trap heat from the board. Can not use the SDRAM addon with this plate on top.

IMG_0822 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Fan plate for those without IO boards

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:20 pm

or you can order an empty PCB of I/O board and mount fan there.
As a bonus - at some day you may start to populate the board little by little according to your needs.

Dubon
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Dubon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:01 pm

How do you power the fan with this setup?

zevin
Atarian
Atarian

Postby zevin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:34 pm

Super awesome idea man, printing some of my own to hold me over until I can get an I/O board. Thanks!

HugoCraft
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HugoCraft » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:46 am

Dubon wrote:How do you power the fan with this setup?

Page 27 of the manual shows which pins on the GPIO are 5v or 3.3v. I haven’t tried my 5v rated fan on 3.3v yet but that’s if your fan is too loud and you want to spin slower.

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 93f6b107ff
Last edited by HugoCraft on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cacophony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:57 am

I agree, this is a great idea. I was considering purchasing a IO PCB for this purpose. Now if only I had access to a 3D printer... I just got a quote from 3D Hubs for ~$22 ($13 of which is shipping), which seems pretty high.

witchmaster
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby witchmaster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:30 am

cacophony wrote:I agree, this is a great idea. I was considering purchasing a IO PCB for this purpose. Now if only I had access to a 3D printer... I just got a quote from 3D Hubs for ~$22 ($13 of which is shipping), which seems pretty high.

Make a plate from cardboard, I used one like that for a while, worked great.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 am

some PCB manufacturers make 10 boards for $2 only.

HugoCraft
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HugoCraft » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Plates are roughly 12g worth of filament. If a 1kg roll of filament is $20 then it only .24 cents worth of material to print them. This is an option if you have access to a printer

or like Sorgelig is saying, just trace included clear top plate onto carboard, piece of plastic, card stock, or whatever to make a plate that supports a fan.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Sorgelig wrote:some PCB manufacturers make 10 boards for $2 only.

Really, any based in Europe or UK?. Where can i find the design for the i/O boards please?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:04 am

BlockABoots wrote:Really, any based in Europe or UK?

This is impossible! Who in Europe/UK will do this so cheap? Of course all them are in China.

BlockABoots wrote:Where can i find the design for the i/O boards please?

MiSTer PCB files are on github as everything related to MiSTer.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:12 pm

HugoCraft wrote:
Dubon wrote:How do you power the fan with this setup?

Page 27 of the manual shows which pins on the GPIO are 5v or 3.3v. I haven’t tried my 5v rated fan on 3.3v yet but that’s if your fan is too loud and you want to spin slower.

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 93f6b107ff

So just 2 wires from the fan is needed to the GPIO(5v and GND), im guessing were not lucky enough to have the header on the fan connector fit the pins on the GPIO?

If you have a 3 wire fan can the 3rd (white wire be ignored or does it have to be combined with the positive or negative wire?. Also do any other scrips need to be added to the SD card to get the fan to work, or should it work as soon as you power on the NANO?

witchmaster
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby witchmaster » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 pm

BlockABoots wrote:So just 2 wires from the fan is needed to the GPIO(5v and GND), im guessing were not lucky enough to have the header on the fan connector fit the pins on the GPIO?

If you have a 3 wire fan can the 3rd (white wire be ignored or does it have to be combined with the positive or negative wire?. Also do any other scrips need to be added to the SD card to get the fan to work, or should it work as soon as you power on the NANO?

With Some modding to the fan connector you miiight be able to fit it (edit: looking at the connector now I can see it is probably not possible), it's too wide like it is, but 5V and GND are "opposite" each other on the GPIO header.

The white wire can be ignored, I usually do this, don't know if it works with all fans but probably does.

You don't need any scripts or anything, just connect 5V to red and GND to black.
Last edited by witchmaster on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

witchmaster
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby witchmaster » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm

(Damn, double post, I pressed quote when I was supposed to click edit)

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 pm

witchmaster wrote:
BlockABoots wrote:So just 2 wires from the fan is needed to the GPIO(5v and GND), im guessing were not lucky enough to have the header on the fan connector fit the pins on the GPIO?

With Some modding to the fan connector you miiight be able to fit it (edit: looking at the connector now I can see it is probably not possible), it's too wide like it is, but 5V and GND are "opposite" each other on the GPIO header.

The white wire can be ignored, I usually do this, don't know if it works with all fans but probably does.

You don't need any scripts or anything, just connect 5V to red and GND to black.

Yeah i managed to find a thin connector that fits BUT i just noticed the fan i was going to use is 12v and doesnt spin when ive connected it up to the GPIO header. Is there another location on the board that may have be 9v or 12v?

witchmaster
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby witchmaster » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:22 pm

BlockABoots wrote:
witchmaster wrote:

Yeah i managed to find a thin connector that fits BUT i just noticed the fan i was going to use is 12v and doesnt spin when ive connected it up to the GPIO header. Is there another location on the board that may have be 9v or 12v?

The Arduino header actually has a 9V (VCC9) output also, I don't know how much current it can deliver though. Look at page 30 of the Terasic DE10-Nano manual.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:34 pm

witchmaster wrote:
BlockABoots wrote:
witchmaster wrote:With Some modding to the fan connector you miiight be able to fit it (edit: looking at the connector now I can see it is probably not possible), it's too wide like it is, but 5V and GND are "opposite" each other on the GPIO header.

The Arduino header actually has a 9V (VCC9) output also, I don't know how much current it can deliver though. Look at page 30 of the Terasic DE10-Nano manual.

Is that the LTC connection?

So id need an Arduino expansion board?

HugoCraft
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HugoCraft » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:53 am

I noticed someone did a remix of the plates which can be found here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3197548

Also today I uploaded a new item to support a USB plug which works well with my setup but not sure if it will for others:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3202129

diggie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby diggie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:17 am

Why wouldn't you just mod the included clear plate to drill some mounting holes and cut a hole for the fan? I mean, would you ever want to run it without the fan?

HugoCraft
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HugoCraft » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:23 am

diggie wrote:Why wouldn't you just mod the included clear plate to drill some mounting holes and cut a hole for the fan? I mean, would you ever want to run it without the fan?

Because there is not enough room on the stock clear plate for a 40mm fan

IMG_0870.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HugoCraft
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HugoCraft » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 am

In other news, smokemonster did a video about this fan plate!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GID1ShPkK6k

huh123
Atarian
Atarian

Postby huh123 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:42 am

Printed your Y-board and bottom plate. Thanks for the files, bud!

HugoCraft
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HugoCraft » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:20 pm

huh123 wrote:Printed your Y-board and bottom plate. Thanks for the files, bud!

After you get it all assembled, if you don't mind please post a picture under the "makes" section on thingiverse.

diggie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby diggie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:41 pm

I hand-fabbed a fan plate today using a small sheet of Lexan polycarbonate from Home Depot. This was approximately the same thickness as the stock plate. I used the stock plate as a template for width and height and for stenciling the screw holes. I used a 1.5" circular bit to cut the fan hole. I cut the leads on the Nocua fan, soldered them to some extra header left over from making the SDRAM board, and stuck them in the Arduino header (5v/GND). I had to trim some columns from the copper heatsinks I added to the FPGA and ram to fit under the plate, RTC pcb. That was easy to do with some wire snips.

I free-handed/roughed it up a bit so it's not 100 perfect, but didn't take that long to make.

Used for fab:
* Lexan sheet - small, $5
* 1.5" circular drill bit, $10
* Dremel for cutting
* Utility knife for trimming melted polycarb around the edges
* Drill for the screw holes

Lessons learned:
* An acrylic sheet may be easier to cut than the polycarbonate, and costs the same.
* You will get straight edges if you use a circular saw. Dremel not so much.
* You should leave more plastic on either side of the fan than I did, I got lucky when cutting the fan hole, but probably have only 1-2mm holding the board together in the middle.

Posting this in case anyone else is interested in a quick/cheap DIY approach.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:58 pm

HugoCraft, is it possible for the fan plate design with just the slot cut for the ram expansion board to have a version that supports a 50mm fan??. I have just made a make shift plate for the time being that holds a 50mm fan but would love to get a 3d printed one that can hold a 50mm fan. Heres my one i threw together....

Return to “MiSTer”