MiSTer NES Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

paulbnl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby paulbnl » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:32 pm

What is the advantage of Linux audio on this core compared to previous audio?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Generally, no direct advantage. Unless someone would like to listen MP3 while playing :)
The goal is to integrate Linux audio output to every core, so the Linux audio will be virtually independent from used core.

It's not about MP3 playback. Just for unification and may be some other future features.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:05 pm

With NES_20190121.rbf while playing Bandai Golf Challenge Pebble Beach - when you hit the ball onto the putting green, the game crashes with a black screen and a high pitched noise. This does not occur on NES_20190111.rbf.

GreyRogue
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby GreyRogue » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:22 am

remowilliams wrote:With NES_20190121.rbf while playing Bandai Golf Challenge Pebble Beach - when you hit the ball onto the putting green, the game crashes with a black screen and a high pitched noise. This does not occur on NES_20190111.rbf.

Correct fix for bus conflicts in my latest WIP build.

Darfpga
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Darfpga » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi, Find here a proposal modification for fds mapper allowing to load unlicensed games. Explanations included.
(Sorry for direct file download no Git available here).

Please do not use for release because it will prevent fds licensed games to be loaded. A specific activation flag must be added to distinguish between licensed and unlicensed (use/don't use the modification) at OSD download choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darfpga
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Darfpga » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi, new release with automatic detect. No need to distinguish between licensed or unlicenced fds games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:33 pm

Thank you

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:59 am

Darfpga wrote:Hi, new release with automatic detect. No need to distinguish between licensed or unlicenced fds games.

Thanks! I've merged it.

Darfpga
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Darfpga » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Thanks! I've merged it.

Thanks,
'diskside_manual' can be set to 0 at fds mapper 'call'. It seem's that a very few games required it.

Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby 917k » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 am

Using my Alliance-based ram module, all I get from this core is a black screen although the music plays fine in the background. Using the technique mentioned a couple of pages back, I can go into memtest, wait a bit... press A, press F12 to save the settings from memtest then load the NES core from there and that does work but it's not very practical to have to do that every time. When I swap in my WinBond-based ram module and try this core, it works fine

Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby 917k » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 am

upon further testing, it seems that if I go directly into the NES core, it does this black screen with music thing. If I run a different core first (I only tried the O2 core) and then run the NES core from that core's F12 menu then the NES core seems to work fine. :shrug:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:52 am

Darfpga wrote:'diskside_manual' can be set to 0 at fds mapper 'call'. It seem's that a very few games required it.

May be GreyRogue can look at it?

Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby 917k » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:43 am

So, any idea what is happening with this core loading a black screen but playing audio in the background? I also tried it with a new ram card and a new DE-10 and it does the same thing.

Laec
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Laec » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:09 pm

I just built a MiSTer with just the RAM addon no I/O board and I'm not getting any audio from the NES core over HDMI. Is there something i need to do to get audio?

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Laec wrote:I just built a MiSTer with just the RAM addon no I/O board and I'm not getting any audio from the NES core over HDMI. Is there something i need to do to get audio?

It's known, long standing problem. Some monitors/tvs/capture devices just won't pick up the HDMI audio signal from MiSTer for certain cores. If you search the forums, you'll find other posts about it. Easiest fix is get IO board and use analog audio out, at least until the problem is resolved.

dazzer69
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dazzer69 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 pm

Does or did the NES core have a PAL mode for EUR only games? I've been trying to play Dropzone but it seems to run too fast by default. Cheers.

Laec
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Laec » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Hewhoisred wrote:
Laec wrote:I just built a MiSTer with just the RAM addon no I/O board and I'm not getting any audio from the NES core over HDMI. Is there something i need to do to get audio?

It's known, long standing problem. Some monitors/tvs/capture devices just won't pick up the HDMI audio signal from MiSTer for certain cores. If you search the forums, you'll find other posts about it. Easiest fix is get IO board and use analog audio out, at least until the problem is resolved.

Thanks for the response, I did find a solution that seems to work the majority of the time for my setup. If I load up the Genesis or SNES core first and a ROM the sound will work when switching back to the NES core.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:38 am

Laec wrote:Thanks for the response, I did find a solution that seems to work the majority of the time for my setup. If I load up the Genesis or SNES core first and a ROM the sound will work when switching back to the NES core.

For the NES core this works well for me:
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34571#p365595

not a great solution but at least its quicker and more reliable than switching cores...

sabreAZ
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sabreAZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 am

Hmm. With the new NES core update, I'm getting a vertical tear line right in the center of the screen. I use VGA with VGA scaler off. Only way I can seem to get rid it is if I turn over scan on which I dont like. This wasn't an issue til todays(19.03.07) update. Anyone else experience this?

vanfanel

Postby vanfanel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Just to report that FDS Zelda (original Zelda no Densetsu version) audio is broken.
Simply deactivate automatic disk swap (set it to "select"), and let the tittle screen song play. You will hear it has an ungly and strange and heavy vibrato distortion that shouldn't be there. Only present on the FDS audio channel.

Also, Solstice intro music has a HIGH pitch sound that's not supposed to be there. Easy to spot if you simply load the game.

joegaff76
Atarian
Atarian

Postby joegaff76 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:40 pm

sabreAZ wrote:Hmm. With the new NES core update, I'm getting a vertical tear line right in the center of the screen. I use VGA with VGA scaler off. Only way I can seem to get rid it is if I turn over scan on which I dont like. This wasn't an issue til todays(19.03.07) update. Anyone else experience this?

I also have the new NES core update 20190307, and I get the same vertical tear line right down the center of the screen, although I'm using the HDMI output with the ini config set to "vsync_adjust=1" (I also tried "vsync_adjust=0"...no luck either way). The rest of the cores that I've setup so far seem to be working OK; it's just the NES. I'm running a 1080p60 output to my Sony X900E 4K TV.

sabreAZ
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sabreAZ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 pm

joegaff76 wrote:
sabreAZ wrote:Hmm. With the new NES core update, I'm getting a vertical tear line right in the center of the screen. I use VGA with VGA scaler off. Only way I can seem to get rid it is if I turn over scan on which I dont like. This wasn't an issue til todays(19.03.07) update. Anyone else experience this?

I also have the new NES core update 20190307, and I get the same vertical tear line right down the center of the screen, although I'm using the HDMI output with the ini config set to "vsync_adjust=1" (I also tried "vsync_adjust=0"...no luck either way). The rest of the cores that I've setup so far seem to be working OK; it's just the NES. I'm running a 1080p60 output to my Sony X900E 4K TV.

Yes I've now tried on VGA and hdmi as well. The only way to get rid of it is to use overscan, and that just gets rid of too much of the play screen, for my tastes, and seems to affect the aspect ratio(atleast with VGA) which causes some shimmering.

I haven't found any other settings to fix the issue. Havent seen this issue with any other core yet

vorvek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby vorvek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

I think the vertical line might be a scaling artifact of some sort. I recorded a video where it's noticeable, but I only showed it for a brief moment. The game is probably not the best to see the effect, but you can notice it on the lower right portion of the terrain:

sabreAZ
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sabreAZ » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Definitely not a good example, but i definitely see it. 100% same problem on my end. Still cannot find a fix other than turning on overscan

vorvek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby vorvek » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:43 am

Well, it does happen with any game. I loaded Faxanadu earlier today, and you can just see the issue with the numbers at the top. It's like one of the 'columns' doesn't get scaled horizontally.

Return to “MiSTer”