MiSTer NES Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby PhantombrainM » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:04 am

Loading problems are there for a long time. I reported "Baloon Fight" some months ago and now it's always working since some releases.

But there are still other's like Back To The Future or Back To The Future Part II.
Sometimes they load, sometime's they don't and show strange things. If you load them up 3x, 4x, 5x, ... then it will work every now or then - or not :lol:
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

JamesF
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby JamesF » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:57 am

ghogan42 wrote:I have the same/related issue. Some games work/don't work depending on what rom is loaded before the game.
For example, Load "Super Mario Bros". Then load "Akumajou Densetsu". I get a solid blue screen. Load "Akumajou Densetsu" again. It works fine.
Load "Akumajou Dracula". Then load "Akumajou Densetsu". I get garbled graphics. Load "Akumajou Densetsu" again. I get the same garbled graphics.
So "Akumajou Densetsu" runs after some games but not others.

I confirm.
Akumajou Densetsu (jap) will not run after Castelvania 1 (us or jap).

Lodovic
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Lodovic » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to prevent screen tearing in the NES core? I hadn't noticed it before but now I see an horizontal bar slowly going from the bottom of the screen to the top at regular intervals. This is easily visible on the Super Mario (JU) game, in demo mode. I use an HDMI monitor set at full HD and I don't see the problem in other cores so it's not a general setting.

I've tried to disable both the scan doubler and the HDMI scaler without success. This problem reminds me of the issue you have when you disable vsync on an emulator.

I have the latest updates on both the core and the MiSTer.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:45 pm

i will fix it in next release

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Sorgelig, thank you for adding variably turbo speeds down to 50ms, it works fantastically.
Now I can reach the turbo levels in "Crash And The Boys" as with my old Micro Genius IQ-502 controller.

Lodovic
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Lodovic » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:45 pm

Sorgelig wrote:i will fix it in next release

vanfanel

Postby vanfanel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi guys! Do you happen to know how to make Zelda (FDS) stay on the tittle screen instead of going to the name entering menu directly? I have tried every button on the FDS screen ("set disk") but it always shows the tittle screen only for a moment and then goes straight to the name entering menu. I'd like to listen to the fantastic tittle music :D

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:44 pm

vanfanel wrote:Hi guys! Do you happen to know how to make Zelda (FDS) stay on the tittle screen instead of going to the name entering menu directly? I have tried every button on the FDS screen ("set disk") but it always shows the tittle screen only for a moment and then goes straight to the name entering menu. I'd like to listen to the fantastic tittle music :D

is there a "turbo" setting possible for FDS settings in Mister?

djsquare
Atariator
Atariator

Postby djsquare » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:25 am

Just to let everyone know, I was able to dump the new Battle Kid Famicom rom that came out recently and it works fine on the NES core. I didn't think it would work because Battle Kid 2 doesn't work right now and they both use Mapper 30 (UNROM 512) so I don't know but it works somehow. I used a Copy NES on a front loader with a Famicom adapter and special plugin that I got from god knows where from years ago.

Battle Kid - Dangerous Trap 2018 (Famicom version)
NES Mapper: 30
PRG 512kb (32 x 16kb pages)
CHR 0kb (0 x 8kb pages )
:cheers:

HouseOfTheEd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HouseOfTheEd » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 am

vanfanel wrote:Hi guys! Do you happen to know how to make Zelda (FDS) stay on the tittle screen instead of going to the name entering menu directly? I have tried every button on the FDS screen ("set disk") but it always shows the tittle screen only for a moment and then goes straight to the name entering menu. I'd like to listen to the fantastic tittle music :D

Hold Select.

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Some games work/don't work depending on what rom is loaded before the game.

Sorgelig, are you aware of this problem?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:28 pm

JamesF wrote:
Some games work/don't work depending on what rom is loaded before the game.

Sorgelig, are you aware of this problem?

I'm not magician.

GreyRogue

Postby GreyRogue » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:33 am

djsquare wrote:Just to let everyone know, I was able to dump the new Battle Kid Famicom rom that came out recently and it works fine on the NES core. I didn't think it would work because Battle Kid 2 doesn't work right now and they both use Mapper 30 (UNROM 512) so I don't know but it works somehow. I used a Copy NES on a front loader with a Famicom adapter and special plugin that I got from god knows where from years ago.

Battle Kid - Dangerous Trap 2018 (Famicom version)
NES Mapper: 30
PRG 512kb (32 x 16kb pages)
CHR 0kb (0 x 8kb pages )
:cheers:

Both Battle Kid and Battle Kid 2 work fine for me with the copies I dumped from my carts. The current mapper 30 code assumes 4-screen-vertical means 4 screen mirroring, and 4-screen-horizontal means 1 screen (which agrees with Black Box Challenge). If you did the opposite when you dumped your cart, you can try the invert mirroring setting from the OSD. This would be the same issue Twin Dragons has. They're currently trying to figure out the official way to specify mirroring on the nesdev forums. I will match whatever the final decision is then.

djsquare
Atariator
Atariator

Postby djsquare » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:28 am

GreyRogue wrote:Both Battle Kid and Battle Kid 2 work fine for me with the copies I dumped from my carts. The current mapper 30 code assumes 4-screen-vertical means 4 screen mirroring, and 4-screen-horizontal means 1 screen (which agrees with Black Box Challenge). If you did the opposite when you dumped your cart, you can try the invert mirroring setting from the OSD. This would be the same issue Twin Dragons has. They're currently trying to figure out the official way to specify mirroring on the nesdev forums. I will match whatever the final decision is then.

Alright cool. I'm not an expert, I just like to tinker with things. The funny thing is my Battle Kid 2 dump works on everything else. Did you use the NT Mini to dump yours? I couldn't get the NT Mini to dump the ROM right so like I said I just used my old school USB Copy NES. I think I'll try to dump BK 2 again under the same circumstance I did with the new BK, maybe I just messed up somewhere. Thanks for letting me know

Edit: Just to be 100% clear on this matter. I'm talking about the brand new Japanese localized Famicom version 2.0 of Battle Kid, not the one sold at retrousb. It does not work on N8 Everdrive v16 or the NT Mini but works with on MiSTer NES core :P . Upon further investigation they aren't the same...probably similar like you said but different...something is up but I don't know. Here is my comparisons of the 3 games I've dumped:

Battle Kid - Fortress of Peril (Sivak Games 2010).nes
ROM Analysis:
NES Mapper: 2 - ROM (PRG) Switch / U(x)ROM
Mirroring: Horizontal Mirroring
Program Size (PRG): 256kb (16 x 16kb pages)
Character Size (CHR): 0kb (0 x 8kb pages )
Works on eveything!

Battle Kid 2 - Mountain of Torment (Sivak Games 2012).nes
ROM Analysis:
Program Size (PRG): 512kb (32 x 16kb pages)
Works on: N8v16 Everdrive, NT Mini, PowerPak
Doesn't work: MiSTer NES Core

Battle Kid - Dangerous Trap (Sivak Games) (Famicom version 2018).nes
ROM Analysis:
NES Mapper: 30 - Unknown
Works on: MiSTER NES core :lol:
Doesn't work: N8v16 Everdrive, NT Mini, PowerPak

GreyRogue

Postby GreyRogue » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:27 am

djsquare wrote:
GreyRogue wrote:Both Battle Kid and Battle Kid 2 work fine for me with the copies I dumped from my carts. The current mapper 30 code assumes 4-screen-vertical means 4 screen mirroring, and 4-screen-horizontal means 1 screen (which agrees with Black Box Challenge). If you did the opposite when you dumped your cart, you can try the invert mirroring setting from the OSD. This would be the same issue Twin Dragons has. They're currently trying to figure out the official way to specify mirroring on the nesdev forums. I will match whatever the final decision is then.

Alright cool. I'm not an expert, I just like to tinker with things. The funny thing is my Battle Kid 2 dump works on everything else. Did you use the NT Mini to dump yours? I couldn't get the NT Mini to dump the ROM right so like I said I just used my old school USB Copy NES. I think I'll try to dump BK 2 again under the same circumstance I did with the new BK, maybe I just messed up somewhere. Thanks for letting me know

Edit: Just to be 100% clear on this matter. I'm talking about the brand new Japanese localized Famicom version 2.0 of Battle Kid, not the one sold at retrousb. It does not work on N8 Everdrive v16 or the NT Mini but works with on MiSTer NES core :P . Upon further investigation they aren't the same...probably similar like you said but different...something is up but I don't know. Here is my comparisons of the 3 games I've dumped:

Battle Kid - Fortress of Peril (Sivak Games 2010).nes
ROM Analysis:
Program Size (PRG): 256kb (16 x 16kb pages)
Works on eveything!

Battle Kid 2 - Mountain of Torment (Sivak Games 2012).nes
ROM Analysis:
Works on: N8v16 Everdrive, NT Mini, PowerPak
Doesn't work: MiSTer NES Core

Battle Kid - Dangerous Trap (Sivak Games) (Famicom version 2018).nes
ROM Analysis:
NES Mapper: 30 - Unknown
Works on: MiSTER NES core :lol:
Doesn't work: N8v16 Everdrive, NT Mini, PowerPak

Ignore what I was saying about four screen above. I was working from memory. That's true for Twin Dragons, but not Battle Kid.
Battle Kid 2 is mapper 30. Mapper 2 maxes out at 256K. Mapper 30 supports 512K (UNROM512). I dumped my cart with a Kazzo.
I don't have the recent famicom cart.

vanfanel

Postby vanfanel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 am

HouseOfTheEd wrote:

Hold Select.

I have tried holding Select, but still the tittle screen is displayed just for a brief moment and then the game goes into the name enter menu.

HouseOfTheEd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HouseOfTheEd » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

vanfanel wrote:I have tried holding Select, but still the tittle screen is displayed just for a brief moment and then the game goes into the name enter menu.

That's odd, it worked for me. When are you pressing Select?

vanfanel

Postby vanfanel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:09 pm

HouseOfTheEd wrote:
vanfanel wrote:I have tried holding Select, but still the tittle screen is displayed just for a brief moment and then the game goes into the name enter menu.

That's odd, it worked for me. When are you pressing Select?

I am pressing select on the FDS "Set disk" screen (the one with Mario & Luigi running around). Where do you do it? Do you keep it pressed?

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:38 pm

On Castlevania 3 (NTSC) the picture graphics are messed up on the scrolling intro/attract screen

HouseOfTheEd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby HouseOfTheEd » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:12 am

vanfanel wrote:
I am pressing select on the FDS "Set disk" screen (the one with Mario & Luigi running around). Where do you do it? Do you keep it pressed?

Try holding it when the Famicom copyright screen scrolls up.

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:54 pm

How Linux Audio works in this core, HDMI, SPDIF, Analog?

djsquare
Atariator
Atariator

Postby djsquare » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:09 pm

The Sim City prototype rom seems to be completely playable with this new update :cheers:

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:20 pm

JamesF wrote:How Linux Audio works in this core, HDMI, SPDIF, Analog?

just passing the Linux audio to these outputs.

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
JamesF wrote:How Linux Audio works in this core, HDMI, SPDIF, Analog?

just passing the Linux audio to these outputs.

What is the input to the Linux Audio?
Can the core audio be routed to linux audio then to SPDIF?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 pm

opposite.
SPDIF is on FPGA side.

Return to “MiSTer”