MISTer MIDI interface

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

MISTer MIDI interface

Postby witchmaster » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:40 pm

When hearing about the possible support for MIDI in the FX Cast Atari ST core I decided to design a MIDI interface for the MISTer. The design is yet in the alpha stage, meaning it might need some modifications. The header on the board can be connected to the serial I/O header of the IO board using a cable based on USB3, or it can be connected to the correct pins on the main board.

Question to @Sorgelig, can MIDI support be enabled in the Minimig core also? The Minimig core should have MIDI support already if I understand, at least the MIST version?

@ijor, if you decide to enable MIDI in the Atari ST core, I will gladly beta-test it. I can create a prototype of this MIDI interface for testing.

MISTerMIDI.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: MISTer MIDI interface

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:15 pm

witchmaster wrote:can MIDI support be enabled in the Minimig core also? The Minimig core should have MIDI support already if I understand, at least the MIST version?

i will check this possibility.

nightshadowpt
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby nightshadowpt » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:16 am

Can the MIDI interface be added to a newer version of the IO board? Or does it need to be separate?

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 am

nightshadowpt wrote:Can the MIDI interface be added to a newer version of the IO board? Or does it need to be separate?

It could be added I guess if there is space, but there has been some development in getting USB Midi interfaces to work so this kind of interface might be unnecessary.

EDIT: A "native" interface like this would have lower latency though.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:31 am

Is this still relevant? It's very simple for me to connect the MIDI signals. We only need to be 100% sure we are at the correct pins (may be worth to add a current limit resistor just in case).

Don't you need to connect midi through, or you don't care?
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:31 am

I think low latency is required for live playback from keyboard to speaker when keyboard and MIDI player are 2 separate devices.
I don't think anyone will use MiSTer for this purpose today with a lot of other turnkey choices.
For simple music playback or games implementation through USB is more than enough. No additional custom boards are required.

Return to “MiSTer”