Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Beaps
Atariator
Atariator

Re: FX CAST Atari ST core

Postby Beaps » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:17 am

Such a shame as I only use analogue so I ain't able to use the core :-(

Thanks for letting me know
Last edited by Beaps on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:27 am

Beaps wrote:Such a shame as I only use annologue so I ain't able to use the core :-(

Such a shame none of analogue cores are open source.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:23 pm

ericgus wrote:... though the aspect ratio is still broken .. but I suspect thats due to not having the updated framework with the scaler and such.

ericgus wrote:So unfortunate that this core is so close but a few key features dont work and it still lacks proper framebuffer support so it has that weird default video mode that is incompatible with many monitors (mine included .. had to blindly press keys in the right sequence to force the display to 60hz before anything was even visible -- including the mister menu).. being closed source no one who has spare time can pick it up to even fix it.

ericgus wrote:Development on it seems suspended or abandoned .. I think the core developer has had some other life issues crop up and there haven't been many if any updates in a while .. he did thankfully quickly add support for memory > 32mb but thats been it..

I think you made your point already.

As everybody else, of course that I have a life outside MiSTer and retro computing. This is "just" my hobby, but I do love it with passion. Be aware that I spend a lot of time behind the scene. Most of my "retro" time is performing research, perhaps as much as 90%. To give you an idea, coding FX68K and FX CAST took me a few months. But it is based on many years of research. My research benefits not only my own cores, but others ones, directly or indirectly, and not only cores but also emulators and general knowledge about our systems.

I sometimes spend weeks researching a small detail. My research include, among other things, decapping and reverse engineering chips at the silicon and transistor level. This requires an insane amount of time and patience.

I am sorry that you are not satisfied with my timing, but this is not a paid service. You get all of this for free. I don't even ask for donations and I don't want them. I actually spend a considerable amount of money from my own pocket on this, and I am not talking at all about the invested time.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:44 am

ijor wrote:I am sorry that you are not satisfied with my timing, but this is not a paid service. You get all of this for free. I don't even ask for donations and I don't want them. I actually spend a considerable amount of money from my own pocket on this, and I am not talking at all about the invested time.

Its not a question of being satisfied and I fully appreciate that you are doing this unpaid and in your spare time and for that I am actually grateful (If I didn't care I wouldn't even comment -- believe it or not I do care a lot about it).. Myself and a lot of other people really want to really use this core but are having problems with it in its current incomplete state.. I realize that life happens, stuff comes up and there are other priorities. I think the work you have done is fantastic but a lot of people would really truly love to see this core completed, bug fixed and extended to be everything it potentially could be. Its so close .. it just needs a little more..

While its not my place to tell people what to do .. maybe you should release the sources so others can continue the wonderful foundation you have started .. If I am coming off harsh or ungrateful I am sorry, that's not my intent .. its just so upsetting to see something really good so so so close to being completed but unfinished and languishing and seeing other people hit the same problems with no chance of resolution.

Beaps
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Beaps » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 am

I can see both sides of the story here and I have to agree that releasing the core so others could complete it would be a great idea. This happens a few times with cores and I'm sure whoever completes it would say it's only possible with your help. It's a win win imo

Chris23235
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Chris23235 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:50 am

Thanks for your great work Ijor, the core is already fantastic. This core is something spectial, it aims for different goals than e.g. MiSTery (which is another fantastic core as well), so in my opinion it is no wonder, that it lacks features found in other cores and on the other hand does things more accurate. I am happy with what is here now, even if I would love to see the core coming to a more feature rich and even more compatible state in the future, but this takes time and I can wait.

Of course this is more easy for me, because I use MiSTery on my MiST for the Atari ST on a daily basis, but I remember the time, when we had no MiSTery on the MiST and while the other core was completely usable MiSTery was a complete surprise and only possible because you made FX Cast before and it was a big leap forward, so I understand it is worth to be patient.

Titofff1970
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Titofff1970 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:51 pm

I love ATARI ST, but my ATARI ST takes up too much space on my desk.

Me too, i can't use FX CAST on my CRT 15khz but it doesn't matter, patience is a vertue.

Anyhow, i support FX CAST, because I know that someday he'll be a successful core as much as the amiga.

The Amiga can't live without its lifelong enemy.

Anyway, thanks for the work & keep the faith ! :angel:

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:16 am

Beaps wrote:I can see both sides of the story here and I have to agree that releasing the core so others could complete it would be a great idea. This happens a few times with cores and I'm sure whoever completes it would say it's only possible with your help. It's a win win imo

Yet if the dev doesn't want to release his sources, for any reason they have, you should respect their choice.
He's talking about decapping ICs among other tasks he's done to produce his work which is pretty intense stuff.

tuf
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tuf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:56 am

ericgus wrote:If I am coming off harsh or ungrateful I am sorry

You are. There are other ways to run FPGA STs (em, MIST?) so if you're really that upset you can go invest in one of those. Otherwise, don't annoy the developer please.

Thanks!

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:40 pm

tuf wrote:
ericgus wrote:If I am coming off harsh or ungrateful I am sorry

You are. There are other ways to run FPGA STs (em, MIST?) so if you're really that upset you can go invest in one of those. Otherwise, don't annoy the developer please.

Thanks!

Actually I do have a Mist..

Return to “MiSTer”