FX CAST Atari ST core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: FX CAST Atari ST core

Postby ijor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:49 am

JimDrew wrote:Works with my 64MB setup, but then again it also passes at 167MHz. Ijor, what is the max speed used by your SDRAM controller setup with FX CAST?

Currently the core's SDRAM controller uses a very conservative 64 MHz frequency.

jamesfmackenzie wrote:Do you plan to support hard disks and/or .STX floppy images in an upcoming revision?

Hard disk access certainly. As a matter of fact it is already implemented but internally disabled because of some framework issues.

I plan to support STX images, eventually, but it would need some heavy pre processing.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

jamesfmackenzie
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jamesfmackenzie » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:00 am

ijor wrote:
JimDrew wrote:Works with my 64MB setup, but then again it also passes at 167MHz. Ijor, what is the max speed used by your SDRAM controller setup with FX CAST?

Currently the core's SDRAM controller uses a very conservative 64 MHz frequency.

jamesfmackenzie wrote:Do you plan to support hard disks and/or .STX floppy images in an upcoming revision?

Hard disk access certainly. As a matter of fact it is already implemented but internally disabled because of some framework issues.

I plan to support STX images, eventually, but it would need some heavy pre processing.

Thanks for the quick response and thanks for the heroic work on this

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04 am

I don't know if is it relevant or not, but in the MiST's ikbd controller, the original CPU used was buggy in its interrupt processing - it used edge triggered interrupt where it should use level triggered ones. And when it missed an edge, the keyboard/mouse/joystick stopped.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:44 pm

slingshot wrote:I don't know if is it relevant or not, but in the MiST's ikbd controller, the original CPU used was buggy in its interrupt processing - it used edge triggered interrupt where it should use level triggered ones. And when it missed an edge, the keyboard/mouse/joystick stopped.

No. HD6301 interrupts are, of course, level triggered. I don't expect the issue is at that level or at the ST core (in the strict sense) at all. If that would be the case then the behavior would be more consistent and would happen to everybody. I suspect is something at the framework interface.

Indcsion
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Indcsion » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:47 am

Any chance for atari ste?

Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby 917k » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:01 am

I haven't experienced the situation where the controllers stop working in any other core but this one. I would think if it was framework-related, it would also appear in other cores. Just my experience, thanks for the work on this!

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:15 am

Indcsion wrote:Any chance for atari ste?

Yes, it is planned. But it is not at the top of the list :)

917k wrote:I haven't experienced the situation where the controllers stop working in any other core but this one. I would think if it was framework-related, it would also appear in other cores. Just my experience, thanks for the work on this!

Thanks for the input, but I'm using my own framework implementation.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 am

Hi ! I'm really sorry if I'm asking something trivial but, how do I get a proper 4/3 picture ratio in FXCast ? :)

Thanks a lot for reviving my childhood :)
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:21 am

mahen wrote:Hi ! I'm really sorry if I'm asking something trivial but, how do I get a proper 4/3 picture ratio in FXCast ? :)

Thanks a lot for reviving my childhood :)

You can't.. its not been added to the core..

Decky
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Decky » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Decky wrote:
ericgus wrote:
Beaps wrote:Hi all,

If you have a larger SDRAM module installed (eg anything bigger than the original 32mb module) this core likely wont work ..

Bummer, I also have purchased a 128Mb memory module for my new MiSTer. Is it a mater of just removing the memory and FX Cast will run from the onboard DE 10 Nano memory?

I am well delighted to see it working now. I have run a few apps and games I love.
Knightmare is working, loaded my saved games and I was playing a while.

Astro 22 running and loading fine.

Any HDD Support in the pipeline?
Atari STe 4Mb with TOS 1.62 / 2.06 Switchable, thanks to Techie Alison. UltraSatan, CosmosEx, Gotek

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:07 pm

I had to sift through many search results to find ST core info for MiSTer. I am glad I found this now and look forward to reading about updates (and by posting, getting this into my personal 'stuff I follow' easy to find link)

comatron
Atarian
Atarian

Postby comatron » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:35 pm

ijor wrote:
Do you mean 15KHz video output? Yeah, it is in my plans. There is a problem that I don't have any such capable monitor. So it is a bit difficult to test. But not such a big deal to develop anyway.

man that would make me freak the f out :D i got 3 14" sony consumer tv´s for about 10€ each and they got superior quality for the mister. i am pretty sure they use the same tubes as in the 14" pvms. totally awesome picture quality but no ST yet :) using it for amiga, snes and other cores. thanx for all your work man! appreciate it a ton.

opty
Atarian
Atarian

Postby opty » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:17 am

mancrascal wrote:
ijor wrote:
Besides the issue with the newer DRAM boards (please check version 015 that I just posted), you have to load an ST disk image.

Hey this now doesn't bomb out on mine (32mb ram) and I have just been able to load an ST image for the first time. Thank you :-)

I can confirm that this now work with recent 32MB SDRam, before that, nothing was working as if I had 128MB, now all is working fine (got GEM then tried with success all games and demos I can)

I also tried Cubase, this work good provided that you switch before to monochrome mode on core osd menu, and I've been able to see output of MIDI data in debug mode on the linux side with midilink daemon launched :thumbs:
Next step is to buy an usb sound card to hear this thru alsa... any recommandation for a compatible sound card (preferably on amazon)?

greetings

Chris23235
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Chris23235 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks for you work, the core really feels like an Atari ST. I tried some games today and I had problems with noisy sounds in Robocop 3 and X-Out. I couldn't get past the intro of the Empire version from Wings of Death because my keyboard wasn't responding, otherwise it worked fine in FX Cast.

EDIT: Wings of Death was a keyboard issue, it worked fine with another keyboard, but here are the digital sounds also messed up.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm

opty wrote:I also tried Cubase, this work good provided that you switch before to monochrome mode on core osd menu, and I've been able to see output of MIDI data in debug mode on the linux side with midilink daemon launched :thumbs:
Next step is to buy an usb sound card to hear this thru alsa... any recommandation for a compatible sound card (preferably on amazon)?

greetings

Are you really going to use Cubase on the Atari ST core on MiSTer?

opty
Atarian
Atarian

Postby opty » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 pm

djmartins wrote:
opty wrote:I also tried Cubase, this work good provided that you switch before to monochrome mode on core osd menu, and I've been able to see output of MIDI data in debug mode on the linux side with midilink daemon launched :thumbs:

greetings

No, I’m only using VST plugins on PC with Fruity Loops

But I know somebody who is looking to use Mister on stage in place of its original Atari ST mainly to get rid of its heavy CRT monitor and also to preserve the Atari ST from transportation aleas!

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:44 am

djmartins wrote:

opty wrote:But I know somebody who is looking to use Mister on stage in place of its original Atari ST mainly to get rid of its heavy CRT monitor and also to preserve the Atari ST from transportation aleas!

The biggest limitation right now would be that the floppy disk support is read-only so you would have no way to save any masterpiece you might create.

Decky
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Decky » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:24 am

Decky wrote:I am well delighted to see it working now. I have run a few apps and games I love.
Knightmare is working, loaded my saved games and I was playing a while.

Astro 22 running and loading fine.

Any HDD Support in the pipeline?

So I have been playing Knightmare as it was one of my favourite Atari games and I have hit a snag. I am unable to save game progress, it tells me write protection is on.

So just to test, I loaded an an image in low rez, chaned to med rez and tried to save desktop and hit the same snag again.

Perhaps this is something I have overlooked when reading about FX Cast, but is this a known issue?

Atari STe 4Mb with TOS 1.62 / 2.06 Switchable, thanks to Techie Alison. UltraSatan, CosmosEx, Gotek

trashuncle
Atari User
Atari User

Postby trashuncle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:24 am

From the previous post...

BBond007 wrote:The biggest limitation right now would be that the floppy disk support is read-only...

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrOG » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:23 am

trashuncle wrote:From the previous post...

BBond007 wrote:The biggest limitation right now would be that the floppy disk support is read-only...

And some users are write-only... :shrug:

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:37 am

So unfortunate that this core is so close but a few key features dont work and it still lacks proper framebuffer support so it has that weird default video mode that is incompatible with many monitors (mine included .. had to blindly press keys in the right sequence to force the display to 60hz before anything was even visible -- including the mister menu).. being closed source no one who has spare time can pick it up to even fix it.

truckweb
Atarian
Atarian

Postby truckweb » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 am

I don't know what's the hold up on having a good working Atari ST core. I use MiSTery on the MiST and it's so great. Would be nice to have a complete ST core for the MiSTer.

Decky
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Decky » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:31 am

And some users are write-only... :shrug:

Gez, I really didn't see that, I feel embarrassed it was the post just before mine :oops:

Beaps
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Beaps » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:14 pm

Does anyone have a timeline on when FXCast will have annologue support? :cheers:

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:33 am

Beaps wrote:Does anyone have a timeline on when FXCast will have annologue support? :cheers:

Development on it seems suspended or abandoned .. I think the core developer has had some other life issues crop up and there haven't been many if any updates in a while .. he did thankfully quickly add support for memory > 32mb but thats been it..

Return to “MiSTer”