FX CAST Atari ST core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

attle
Atari User
Atari User

Re: FX CAST Atari ST core

Postby attle » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:40 am

Tested this core a bit yesterday, and it looks very promising. I would *love* to see 15Khz support for ST-low screen mode.

jamesfmackenzie
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jamesfmackenzie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Congrats on the wonderful ST core!

On my real ST I use null modem and also Ethernet (NetUSBee) to talk to the outside world

Any plans to add comms support in the FX CAST core? I see that MiSTer supports serial (UART) connection from FPGA to Linux at 115200 baud. Any possibility to use this channel?

tatouine
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby tatouine » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Hello,
I have a loud hiss in the main menu of the demo life's a bitch (Lost Boys).
Anyone else to this problem?
VID_20190219_195501.mp4

Sorry for the poor recording quality but I do not have a video capture card nor a good phone.
520 STf |Amiga 500 (1M) |Philips CM8832 | Atari SC 1425 | Atari SC 1435
MIST | MISTER | Analogue Super Nt
DVDO Edge *2 | neoya x2vga 2 | Simple Video Scalar
XRGB-3 | XRGB-mini Framemeister |GBS-8220*2 | SLG3000 | Sync Strike |SLG Scart
HD video Converter | SCART+HDMI to HDMI+HDMI |Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)

pomegran
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pomegran » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:00 am

Can somebody advise on how I can get FX Cast to run in 4:3 please?

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:50 am

pomegran wrote:Can somebody advise on how I can get FX Cast to run in 4:3 please?

For some reason, some TVs / monitors want to run this core in 16:9 regardless of the menu settings. The Vizio TV I used to have my MiSTer hooked up to always rendered it in 16:9. I moved it to a different Vizio monitor and on that monitor it heeds the menu 4:3/16:9 setting.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon

pomegran
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pomegran » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:00 am

Paradroyd wrote:
pomegran wrote:Can somebody advise on how I can get FX Cast to run in 4:3 please?

For some reason, some TVs / monitors want to run this core in 16:9 regardless of the menu settings. The Vizio TV I used to have my MiSTer hooked up to always rendered it in 16:9. I moved it to a different Vizio monitor and on that monitor it heeds the menu 4:3/16:9 setting.

I couldn't see a menu setting for 4:3, is there one? However I can always switch to 4:3 on the TV. Thanks for responding!

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:21 am

pomegran wrote:I couldn't see a menu setting for 4:3, is there one? However I can always switch to 4:3 on the TV. Thanks for responding!

I just took another look, and you're right. there's no setting in FXCast for that. If you can set it on your TV, that's the only option for now. (most other cores have an explicit setting..this one does not).
- Paradroyd

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:30 am

Just curious if work on this core has halted? seems it had a great start but the core still has some real issues (like the 4:3 aspect ratio problem Paradroyd mentioned, its particularly noticeable when using a typical 16x9 HDMI display) .. accelerated STe support , floppy writes and lack of hard drive support and some of the other features found in its Mist counterpart.. Would really love to see some updates to this fantastic core (I know people get busy with life and such) (just a simple inquiry)..

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 am

ericgus wrote:the core still has some real issues (like the 4:3 aspect ratio problem Paradroyd mentioned, its particularly noticeable when using a typical 16x9 HDMI display)

Is that really an issue? I just correct the aspect ratio using an option in the HDMI display's built in menu.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 pm

alexh wrote:
ericgus wrote:the core still has some real issues (like the 4:3 aspect ratio problem Paradroyd mentioned, its particularly noticeable when using a typical 16x9 HDMI display)

Is that really an issue? I just correct the aspect ratio using an option in the HDMI display's built in menu.

Tried that, doesnt work for mine ..

matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby matt » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:04 am

ericgus wrote:
alexh wrote:

Arguably it's your TV problem not the core. Debatable.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:45 am

matt wrote:
ericgus wrote:
alexh wrote:Is that really an issue? I just correct the aspect ratio using an option in the HDMI display's built in menu.

Works fine for every other core.. except this one.. so yea, debatable .. its a standard old VIZIO HDTV not "smart" just a dumb HDTV with dual HDMI inputs.. nothing special, common TV. Its also obvious this core is still very much a work in progress as well . I think everyone clearly understands that. Also others have commented on the exact same problem so its not just "my tv" ..

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:37 am

Will there come a official release of FX Cast for MiSTer?
Scaler support and 4:3 Option would be great :)

Shamus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shamus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Will there come a official release of FX Cast for MiSTer?
Scaler support and 4:3 Option would be great :)

... and DVI support please! As mentioned before I still haven't been able to run FX CAST with my setup (MiSTer quite permanently fused with a TFT monitor; I call it my "iMiSTer") - but I'd really love to! :D

flain
Atariator
Atariator

Postby flain » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:05 pm

if the core gets opensource then maybe even someone else will do the scaler support for it :)

I have the same issue, I've got 4 different 4K TVs and none of them have an option to set to 4:3 anymore (1 samsung, 3 sonys), seems this option is more common on older TVs :(

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:43 pm

matt wrote:
ericgus wrote:
alexh wrote:Is that really an issue? I just correct the aspect ratio using an option in the HDMI display's built in menu.

I posted a pretty good example of what's going on with this here...
- Paradroyd

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Could someone be kind enough to put PlatoTerm on an Atari ST .st floppy image for me?
https://github.com/tschak909/platotermst/releases

plato-0_1_1-pre-alpha.zip

Thank you in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby bitfan2011 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 pm

this core causes "out of range" messages on my displays, where it didn't used to. if i press the menu button when the screen is dead, the white core background flashes for a second and then then back to "out of range". i had actually played games on this core previously...

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 pm

NML32 wrote:Could someone be kind enough to put PlatoTerm on an Atari ST .st floppy image for me?

Thank you in advance.

Here is the ST image file. You can use MSA Converter (Windows program) to convert ZIP files into ST image files. I could only check that PlatoTerm started. I have no idea how to use it. I saw a demo on the 8-bit about a year ago, but I have not had any time to explore Plato any further.

Bob C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:36 pm

darwinmac wrote:
NML32 wrote:Could someone be kind enough to put PlatoTerm on an Atari ST .st floppy image for me?

Thank you in advance.

Here is the ST image file. You can use MSA Converter (Windows program) to convert ZIP files into ST image files. I could only check that PlatoTerm started. I have no idea how to use it. I saw a demo on the 8-bit about a year ago, but I have not had any time to explore Plato any further.

Bob C

Thank you very much. :cheers:
I'll definitely be checking out MSA. :)

Update: PlatoTerm doesn't fully load. It only partially loads (green window) then stops with the middle led fast blinking. :(

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:33 pm

NML32 wrote:Update: PlatoTerm doesn't fully load. It only partially loads (green window) then stops with the middle led fast blinking. :(

On Linux, you can use zip2st script coming with Hatari to convert ZIP files and directories to .ST disk images files.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:47 pm

NML32 wrote:
darwinmac wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Bob C

Thank you very much. :cheers:
I'll definitely be checking out MSA. :)

Update: PlatoTerm doesn't fully load. It only partially loads (green window) then stops with the middle led fast blinking. :(

I had something similar, but I do not think I had the proper setup for online access in Hatari. I would contact Platoterm’s author. He appears to be very responsive.

Bob C

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 pm

darwinmac wrote:I had something similar, but I do not think I had the proper setup for online access in Hatari. I would contact Platoterm’s author. He appears to be very responsive.

Bob C

I was trying to use PlatoTerm in FX CAST.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:11 am

NML32 wrote:
darwinmac wrote:I had something similar, but I do not think I had the proper setup for online access in Hatari. I would contact Platoterm’s author. He appears to be very responsive.

Bob C

I am aware of that. However, I was simply mentioning that I had similar results in an emulator. I think PlatoTerm’s author might be able to help you by telling you what needs to be set up in order for it to work.

Bob C

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 am

darwinmac wrote:
NML32 wrote:

Bob C

I am aware of that. However, I was simply mentioning that I had similar results in an emulator. I think PlatoTerm’s author might be able to help you by telling you what needs to be set up in order for it to work.

Bob C

As far as I can tell, it needs write access to the floppy disk. As long as FXcast doesn't support that, it's probably not going to work.
- Paradroyd

Return to “MiSTer”