Postby ijor » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 am

Announcement: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34554

Please comment and ask questions here.

witchmaster
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: FX CAST Atari ST core

Postby witchmaster » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Nice job! This core makes the MISTer even better! :)

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:14 pm

*stunned*

o_O

wow

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Amazing! Is there any chance to get this core on the MIST as well?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Congrats!

Out of curiosity - did you use the designs recently uncovered here: http://www.chzsoft.de/asic-web/ in order to replicate cycle perfect chips?

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm

joska wrote:Amazing! Is there any chance to get this core on the MIST as well?

What Joska said!
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

frost
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby frost » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 pm

What troed said !
My blog, mostly about Atari and demo stuff.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:11 pm

joska wrote:Amazing! Is there any chance to get this core on the MIST as well?

A MIST version is planned. Support for copy protected images might not fit and probably would have to be dropped.

The remaining main issue is ram storage for TOS. On MiSTer, I am beling lazy and storing TOS on internal FPGA RAM. That much sheer amount of RAM the FPGA on the MiSTer board has. MIST doesn't have, not nearly, that much internal RAM, so ROM must be stored on external DRAM. There is enough external RAM, that's not the main problem. But moving ROM to external RAM is not trivial if I want to maintain cycle accuracy. This is because the ST can access ROM and RAM concurrently. Not impossible to solve, but not that simple.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:14 pm

olin wrote:Out of curiosity - did you use the designs recently uncovered here: http://www.chzsoft.de/asic-web/ in order to replicate cycle perfect chips?

Not really. I made my own reverse engineering that included chips decap long before. Also, unfortunately, the archive includes schematics for a single chip (MSCU that is only for the STE), plus Blitter.

ReedSolomon
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ReedSolomon » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Congrats on getting the beta released should be fun to start testing :wink:

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Wow ... a cycle exact 68k is something a lot of projects have a use for. The fpgagen is one of them. Very exciting.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cacophony » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:06 pm

ijor wrote:
olin wrote:Out of curiosity - did you use the designs recently uncovered here: http://www.chzsoft.de/asic-web/ in order to replicate cycle perfect chips?

Not really. I made my own reverse engineering that included chips decap long before. Also, unfortunately, the archive includes schematics for a single chip (MSCU that is only for the STE), plus Blitter.

Are you planning on releasing the source code for the 68k so that other projects can benefit ?

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:24 pm

ijor wrote:Not really. I made my own reverse engineering that included chips decap long before.

That's even more impressive.

ijor wrote: Also, unfortunately, the archive includes schematics for a single chip (MSCU that is only for the STE), plus Blitter.

Well, at least it can help someone to implement/verify parts of STE if that ever will be someone's goal.

cmdrpds
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cmdrpds » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 pm

ijor wrote:Announcement: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34554

Please comment and ask questions here.

Just wanted to say thanks ijor!

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 am

cacophony wrote:Are you planning on releasing the source code for the 68k so that other projects can benefit ?

I do, but it won't be today. I'd like to wait a few days, just in case the public release exposes any possible bugs in the 68K core. I also need to think and decide which open source license to use. I'm not a GPL fan, but not sure there is anything better. According to what I read some time ago, FPGA cores aren't really fully copyrightable as software. So it might not matter too much after all ...

Anyway, if any developer for a major known core based on the 68K wants to start some testing, I don't mind giving him early private access to the source.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 am

Is it 68000 or 68010/20/30?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 am

Sorgelig wrote:Is it 68000 or 68010/20/30?

Bare 68000 only. You probably need almost completely separated cores for the other processors, if you want cycle accuracy. There is probably not much in common between the 68030 (or even the 68020 for that matter) and the 68000 at the gate level. The 68010 is very close to the 68000, but I guess there is not as much interest in the 68010.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:52 am

Fantastic news! Congrats on a major first release, Ijor!

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cacophony » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:14 am

ijor wrote:
cacophony wrote:Are you planning on releasing the source code for the 68k so that other projects can benefit ?

I do, but it won't be today. I'd like to wait a few days, just in case the public release exposes any possible bugs in the 68K core. I also need to think and decide which open source license to use. I'm not a GPL fan, but not sure there is anything better. According to what I read some time ago, FPGA cores aren't really fully copyrightable as software. So it might not matter too much after all ...

Anyway, if any developer for a major known core based on the 68K wants to start some testing, I don't mind giving him early private access to the source.

Great to hear! I would imagine having a cycle accurate 68k is going to benefit a lot of other cores going forward.
I'm also excited to try out your Atari ST core, so thanks for doing it :D

Shamus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Shamus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 am

Great news Ijor - and many thanks for your efforts! The ST has definitely been missing on the MISTer system.

However, with my setup I cannot test the core because I do not get a video signal. I am using MISTer's HDMI out to connect it to DVI in of my 1280x1024 LCD monitor (dvi_mode=1 and video_mode=4 in MISTer.ini) with beautiful image quality in all tested cores. Will you look into the video out issue?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 am

Shamus wrote:However, with my setup I cannot test the core because I do not get a video signal. I am using MISTer's HDMI out to connect it to DVI in of my 1280x1024 LCD monitor (dvi_mode=1 and video_mode=4 in MISTer.ini) with beautiful image quality in all tested cores. Will you look into the video out issue?

Sorry, I'm afraid DVI is currently not supported. :oops: I will try to implement it for a future build. Sorry again.

weirdocollector
Atari User
Atari User

Postby weirdocollector » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 am

Newsdee wrote:Fantastic news! Congrats on a major first release, Ijor!

Just wanted to join this !! Congrats !!

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 am

I moved the posts not specific to this core, but more related to generic 680x0 cores to a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34568

breiztiger
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby breiztiger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:44 pm

hi

sorry for the question but

why only scp format and not ctraw from kryoflux ?

ipf support is it possible ?

thanks for your core :cheers:

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:04 pm

breiztiger wrote:sorry for the question but

No need to apologize at all. Good questions :)

why only scp format and not ctraw from kryoflux ?
ipf support is it possible ?

Well, SCP is, by far, the simplest of the low level formats and the easiest to process by FPGA logic.

RAW Kryoflux images, being split in multiple files and with the "out of bounds" index pulse data are really a PITA for a FPGA core. They would need to be pre processed by software. Of course, we have a very powerful CPU at the Arm side, so this could be implemented in the future. It might be easier perhaps to just implement a converter that you could run on a PC though.

CTR images could be a nice option because they are rather compact, but the CTR format is, AFAIK, not documented. I am guessing it might require software pre processing as well.

IPF support would require to port the IPF library to the ARM (may be there is a port already), and again it would need additional pre processor before it reaches the FPGA core. One problem is that the IPF library API doesn't seem to be fully documented. The API documentation seems to correspond to older versions of the library. I didn't look at that for quite some time, so it might have been changed. But yes, in theory, and thanks again to the powerful ARM CPU that the MiSTer has, it should be possible.

Edit: I do am performing some software pre processing for SCP images as well. But that is very minimal and lightweight.

Return to “MiSTer”