Genesis Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby cacophony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:55 am

BlockABoots wrote:So with the Mega Sg coming out soon from Analogue can we presume that that system wont be anymore compatible than the work being carried out on MiSTer currently, or will they have more in-depth research that the MiSter team have discoverer up to this point?


There's no way to know until release, but if past history is any indication the Mega SG will be very faithful to original hardware. And that's kind of required given the price point! Analogue's business is entirely dependent on the accuracy. I'm sure issues will crop up after release, but the big ones will all be quickly fixed.

It's quite possible that the MiSTer core will be equally accurate by then if not before. But again, the work is being done solely by Sorgelig at this point, and he is also working on base MiSter changes as well as many other cores.

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Newsdee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:01 am

Mega Sg is good if you want to use cartridges, an Everdrive, or real gamepads. Kevtris' work on upscaler is excellent, but the MiSTer is very solid in this department too.

If you are thinking of getting the Sg instead of a MISTer due to a hypothetical "core store" that may show up in the future, I would say forget it and go for the MiSTer. The Super NT didn't get extra cores.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:48 am

There is one difference: kevtris work for his own pocket. It has nothing to do with preservation.
MiSTer is preservation project carrying knowledge to the future.

toolb0x
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby toolb0x » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:27 am

Not sure if its a problem with the core or not but I can't get the 6 button setup to work for Comix Zone.

The top 3 buttons are supposed to handle your inventory and "C" is for defense but its not just not working for me.

I've tried 6 button set to yes and no in menu. No Difference.

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Newsdee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 am

Sorgelig wrote:There is one difference: kevtris work for his own pocket. It has nothing to do with preservation.
MiSTer is preservation project carrying knowledge to the future.

Yes, completely agree.

This is obvious for devs, but for everybody else: MiSTer itself is built on the shoulder of other older projects. The open source model works and will continue to work in the future; even if velocity may not be as fast as the layman desires.

HeroOfTheDay
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:39 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby HeroOfTheDay » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Newsdee wrote:Mega Sg is good if you want to use cartridges, an Everdrive, or real gamepads. Kevtris' work on upscaler is excellent, but the MiSTer is very solid in this department too.

If you are thinking of getting the Sg instead of a MISTer due to a hypothetical "core store" that may show up in the future, I would say forget it and go for the MiSTer. The Super NT didn't get extra cores.


Yeah, I love my Super NT, especially combined with my SD2SNES to enjoy some sweet MSU1 mods. But, I was pretty disappointed that other cores never came, even if they charged for them as you suggested. It's extra lame given that the original NT is not being made any more, and they have said there are no plans to make more. I'm not going to keep giving them $200 every year for a single core in a new shell.

slowmo310
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby slowmo310 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Sorgelig wrote:There is one difference: kevtris work for his own pocket. It has nothing to do with preservation.
MiSTer is preservation project carrying knowledge to the future.

I love that you said this! While I think everyone should be compensated for their work, preservation is by far more important. I mean, let's face it, we'll never see a commit from Kevtris on the project Github. Many in the *cough* "community" won't say this, glad you did.

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Newsdee » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:34 am

HeroOfTheDay wrote:Yeah, I love my Super NT, especially combined with my SD2SNES to enjoy some sweet MSU1 mods. But, I was pretty disappointed that other cores never came, even if they charged for them as you suggested. It's extra lame given that the original NT is not being made any more, and they have said there are no plans to make more. I'm not going to keep giving them $200 every year for a single core in a new shell.

I keep telling people in AtariAge that they should look at current status and decide accordingly. It's what I did for the MiST back in 2014 and all that showed up was a great bonus.

It's a double-edged sword though, because MiSTer is a hobby project and there is no intention to provide "customer support" by anybody, other than friendly advice by the community (of which there is plenty). I certainly wouldn't want people buying a MiSTer expecting zero effort or things served to them on a platter, those should definitely get commercial offerings.

At the same time setting up and upgrading a MiSTer is MUCH easier than an emulator PC/RPi, so I think the tinkering people (i.e most of us) woud appreciate having one instead of hoping for firmware hacks on commercial devices.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I own a Super NT, a Retro AVS, and several FPGA boards (3 MiST, 2 ZxUno, one MiSTer, one TC64), and each has its niche advantages.

toolb0x
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby toolb0x » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:09 pm

The game "The Immortal" glitches out as soon as you press start at the title screen.

"John Madden Football '93" is missing background images and textures.

Your character and none of the enemies are visible in "Jurassic Park"
Last edited by toolb0x on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:18 pm

toolb0x wrote:The game "The Immortal" glitches out as soon as you press start at the title screen.

Edit: "John Madden Football '93" is missing background images and textures.

both work fine for me. May be i've fixed something already after release.

toolb0x
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby toolb0x » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
toolb0x wrote:The game "The Immortal" glitches out as soon as you press start at the title screen.

Edit: "John Madden Football '93" is missing background images and textures.

both work fine for me. May be i've fixed something already after release.



Nevermind, I reset the DE-10 Nano and everything is working correctly.. sorry.

toolb0x
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby toolb0x » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:26 pm

In the game "Toughman Contest" during the player select screen, The background screen is all blue, sometimes all black, on original hardware its not. I have provided pictures.

Original
original.jpg

MiSTer
fpga.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:24 pm

toolb0x wrote:In the game "Toughman Contest" during the player select screen, The background screen is all blue, sometimes all black, on original hardware its not. I have provided pictures.

Original
original.jpg
MiSTer
fpga.jpg

will be fixed in next release

hyperterminal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Sorgelig, do you know what is causing these glitches that are still present in the Genesis core?

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker: rainbow-banded jail bars behind the billiard player in stage 1
Image

Streets of Rage II: partially missing sprites of the yellow motorcycle guys in the background of the van in stage 2
Image

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm

hyperterminal wrote:Michael Jackson's Moonwalker: rainbow-banded jail bars behind the billiard player in stage 1

what's wrong with them? In Exodus they look the same.

hyperterminal wrote:Streets of Rage II: partially missing sprites of the yellow motorcycle guys in the background of the van in stage 2

may be will be improved in next release.

HeroOfTheDay
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:39 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby HeroOfTheDay » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:24 pm

hyperterminal wrote:Sorgelig, do you know what is causing these glitches that are still present in the Genesis core?

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker: rainbow-banded jail bars behind the billiard player in stage 1
Image


Those are pool sticks. Are they not supposed to be that color?

hyperterminal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:18 pm

HeroOfTheDay wrote:Those are pool sticks. Are they not supposed to be that color?

You're right. Didn't know these bars are supposed to be pool sticks. Sorry.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Can anyone else confirm the music on Alien 3 isnt emulated correctly?, sounds like it could be missing some channels?

toolb0x
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Genesis Core

Postby toolb0x » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:47 pm

A few more bugs I found.

"Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday" - After the EA startup screen, the game hangs up on a screen with just blue and black bars with numbers in the corner.

"Primetime NFL with Deion Sanders" - The game won't load at all.

"Clue" - After you press start at the title screen, the next screen has garbage numbers and letters in the background.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:10 am

toolb0x wrote:"Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday" - After the EA startup screen, the game hangs up on a screen with just blue and black bars with numbers in the corner.

game has additional SRAM on cart. You may patch the game to run in debug mode without SRAM requirement as described here:
https://tcrf.net/Buck_Rogers:_Countdown_to_Doomsday_(Genesis)
you need to use hex editor to write these bytes into ROM:
0FE006:03
0FE005:03
0FE004:03
0FFFB0:4E
0FFFB1:75
Then you will be able to run the game either in normal mode or use one of extra features.

toolb0x wrote:"Primetime NFL with Deion Sanders" - The game won't load at all.

currently no idea. probably also uses some additional HW on cart.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:19 am

toolb0x wrote:"Clue" - After you press start at the title screen, the next screen has garbage numbers and letters in the background.

the cause is unclear. This also happens in Exodus emulator.
This problem looks similar to Sonic 1.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:06 pm

There are several (probably Chinese) releases having primitive protection against dumps. They have some fixed bytes far from ROM space.
It's easy to make workaround.
For example game Super Bubble Bobble needs following bytes:
400000 : 55
400001 : 00
400002 : 0F
400003 : 00

You just need to copy original ROM (1MB) 4 times to new file to make it 4MB and at the end add the bytes i've wrote above.

That's all - game works.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Elf Wor: also copy 4 times and at the end add bytes:
400000: 55 00 0F 00 C9 00 18 00

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:18 am

Buck Rogers - fixed
Primetime NFL - fixed (also HardBall series)
Clue - fixed.
Toughman Contest - fixed.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Who has problem with HDMI Audio? Test new Genesis release - it may fix the audio.
Report here if it's helped or not.


Return to “MiSTer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sorgelig and 1 guest