FPGAgen

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

uigiflip
Atari User
Atari User

FPGAgen

Postby uigiflip » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:10 pm

is there way to change region on loading cart i have cart that has jap game in english but think have to set megadrive to usa mode?
Vampire 500 V2+, Mister, FPGA Replay + 68060 Daughterboard

uigiflip
Atari User
Atari User

Re: FPGAgen

Postby uigiflip » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:57 pm

for example worms needs to be set to pal

2018060121560476.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vampire 500 V2+, Mister, FPGA Replay + 68060 Daughterboard

PhantombrainM
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby PhantombrainM » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Same here. Quackshot (EU/World) is in chinese language.
Didn't even know that language is existing in that ROM! :D
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

hyperterminal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:06 pm

uigiflip wrote:for example worms needs to be set to pal

You can simply hack the rom to remove the region lock.

Go to romhacking.net and download GGGuy. Then, open your rom with GGGuy and patch the corresponding Game Genie code into the rom (the code for Worms is in this document: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/genesis/9 ... faqs/60595). Next, you need to fix the checksum of the rom (this can be done with the tool Fix CheckSum from romhacking.net, but you need to change the file extension to *.bin, otherwise the tool won't let you select the rom).

In most cases there is no need to play any PAL ports as they are usually inferior because of their lower framerate. There are only a few exclusives for the PAL territory. Most of these can be patched in the manner described above (for the more popular games like Mega Man or Zero Wing there are even dedicated PAL to NTSC patches available at romhacking.net).

retrorepair
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby retrorepair » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:17 pm

hyperterminal wrote:In most cases there is no need to play any PAL ports as they are usually inferior because of their lower framerate. There are only a few exclusives for the PAL territory. Most of these can be patched in the manner described above (for the more popular games like Mega Man or Zero Wing there are even dedicated PAL to NTSC patches available at romhacking.net).

I disagree. PAL consoles account for a good percentage of the consoles out there and many of us remember playing in PAL resolutions plus the hardware is originally designed to output these resolutions.

Moreover, many PAL TVs will only accept a PAL video signal (or display NTSC incorrectly).

To be technical, we are discussing 50/60hz not PAL/NTSC as those are the designations for the respective composite video signals, not the video resolutions or refresh rates. But for simplicitys sake that's why I refer to 50hz as PAL and 60hz as NTSC.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Currently region and NTSC are hardcoded in Genesis core. Probably region code can be changed relatively easy, but i have no technical info about it.
NTSC/PAL change should be more complex as it involves video part re-write for PAL timings. Probably other timings in the core have to be changed as well.

currently there are only 2 options:
1) find the game in NTSC version
2) patch the game for NTSC and language.

retrorepair
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby retrorepair » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:21 pm

I don't know how many clocks there are or how they are organised but it should be as simple as scaling each one. Not that I really know much about how FPGAs work yet.

I'm aware what the current options are, just responding to the point of PAL not being necessary.

Return to “MiSTer”