MiSTer Case at shapeways (nylon plastic)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: MiSTer Case at shapeways (nylon plastic)

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Here is it:
https://mega.nz/#!YR5zzZ5Q!5XGXOrHJwMcw ... -aeeKuVUKQ

There are 2 models inside. USBHub board is reversible and allows to use either long side for USB ports. I don't know if you will make 2 different cases, or bottom part of case can be reversible too. It's also possible to make a thinner plastic in front of USB on both sides, so user will be able to cut out the windows on desired side.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Thank you. I will take a look. :mrgreen:

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Mon May 14, 2018 5:05 am

NegSol wrote:Thanks for asking. I guess I did not explain it too well.
Look at the pictures below. You can see that the button size for the XS is way smaller than the size of the regular v52 case.
The red prototype was the size of a regular v5.2 button not an XS version. But it works the same. 8)

How to use it: After inserting the tubular parts, you will slide and press (carefully!) the other part of the button in place. This parts then acts as a locking bolt. This way you should get a functional moving part. At least that is how it is supposed to work.

Hope this gives you a better idea. :)

Ah ! Thanks a lot, it gets absolutly clear. Have ordered a new top part and buttons as well, but i guess i could have modified my current top part using my dremel and remove the the plastic so that i can insert the tubular parts. Well at least i will be able to confirm if the latest design works as expected :) Will keep you informed as my new top part and buttons should be delivered by the end of this week :)
Thanks again !

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 pm

NegSol wrote:Thank you. I will take a look. :mrgreen:

Negsol,
Finally received my new top case plus buttons : It perfectly works !

The buttons are easy to assemble, they smoothly move and they are at the perfect height so that when the case is closed they are in upper position and i can press to activate the i/o board buttons. Great stuff !

I will post pictures of my closed case when i receive XS Ram board.

Thanks again that was worth the money even if resulted in the most expensive plastic case i've ever bought :lol:

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm

DirtyBernie wrote:Finally received my new top case plus buttons : It perfectly works !

Closeup picture shows rough plastic like a piece of bread. How it feel - smooth polished or rough?
Can you make more pictures where texture of surface/edges is visible?
I've though the case should be smooth and pretty close to pressed plastic look than home made 3D printing. At least the price let me think so.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Great news! Thanks for giving feedback and sharing! :mrgreen:

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
DirtyBernie wrote:Finally received my new top case plus buttons : It perfectly works !

Closeup picture shows rough plastic like a piece of bread. How it feel - smooth polished or rough?
I've though the case should be smooth and pretty close to pressed plastic look than home made 3D printing. At least the price let me think so.

There are different materials and processing techniques to choose from. There are steps like polishing after printing to get a very smooth finish. This way different looks can be achieved.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 pm

NegSol wrote:There are different materials and processing techniques to choose from. There are steps like polishing after printing to get a very smooth finish. This way different looks can be achieved.

So, you want to say for $80 you get the quality like from home 3D printer?

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Not really - or have you seen a home printer using a sinter laser process using nylon? There are no seam lines and less aritfacts (like ghosting etc).

Also all 3d printed pieces will have to get some paint to really great.

But I have not used the shapeways nylon myself, so lets wait until someone puts up more pictures - then we will see if it is worth it :D

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Fri May 18, 2018 4:28 am

Sorgelig wrote:

I will get soon a standard 3D printed case so the comparison can be done and i will make pictures with something better than my smartphone.

Now it's just a very little rough, very litle. I mean it's not as smooth as a plastic injected product.

But comparing to pictures i've seen from home 3D printed cases, it's definitly over the top.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue May 22, 2018 4:53 am

@NegSol
what do you think about making I/O board holes covered by thin plastic originally? So, user will decide what hole to open depending on addon board. For example, user may have no I/O board originally, but still can use XS case without holes. Later he can get I/O board and will open the holes. Some I/O board may come without TOSLink. So, thin plastic on the holes will add end-user configuration.

I don't know if you understood it correct. I mean, the holes will be present, but will be closed by very thin plastic which can be pushed out by fingers when need.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Tue May 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Good idea (mostly for injection molded case design). For printing there is at least for shapeways a minimum wall thickness (mostly around 2mm) otherwise they will not print the design due to fear of damage during post production steps. This will make break-aways next to impossible with them.

For normal FDM is can be an option. Of course if you got access to an FDM 3d printer why not print more front an back panels. I could easily release version for different back panels, no worries at all. I guess I will... :) - Maybe even a fancy break-away one. :mrgreen:

I also started a case design with a design for the USB add-on. Not done yet as I got more things on my plate right now.

Guess I will get some flak for the idea, so I am still thinking it over. Find a sneak peek down below - and yes - it is just a first idea - so take it easy. :wink: (This design aims at simple re-usability of existing cases - the board basically will be only connect via the usb cable.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 pm

How about other way for closed holes: Make a several connection points around the hole?

About case: I guess it's not XS version, right? Also i see the second bottom inside the case - not sure how it can fit the USB board.
I have the MiSTer with USB hub board next to me - its height may be twice low than case on your pictures.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Tue May 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Yep - connection points are an option. Still quite large at 2mmx2mmx2mm each... hm. But really I can also add more panels for more option. No ugly cutting required. Let's see.

The case is the Uni 5.2 version one. Fits every board configuration of MiSTer with or without v5.2 I/O board. The combination with the USB-Add-On would be quite large with lot of unused space in the bottom. But who say this is a bad thing. I like the look - kind of like old add-ons worked for 16-Bit era computers - Amiga 500 hdd addons or Atari Mega add-ons come to mind.

But this is not the end of the line. Just a first idea. Also I have no board yet. So design has still time to grow.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Connection points make sense for shapeways orders where every small detail costs a lot. And if you order panel without holes, then later you will need to order again - will pay a lot for panel + shipment.
With connection points you will order one panel and then later will decide depending on future plans. Connection point can be cut nicely by trimmers.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Tue May 22, 2018 6:56 pm

I get your point. :D

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 am

i like the idea of a separate case for USB so we keep the original one. Otherwise have to reprint it all...

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Not all MiSTer are created equal. I created a few different versions of back panels fitting different I/O Board versions of MiSTer.

Panels for original MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 case.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2964178
Capture.JPG

Panels for original **MiSTer XS Case v2 for SDRAM XS - extra slim - v1.1** case.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2964219
Capture2.JPG

Feedback is welcome :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 pm

- i think the hole for phone jack is too big. external diameter is about 7mm.
- is it possible to break the bottom hole to separate accurate holes per connector?

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:52 am

Thank you for your feedback.

I know that the phone jack hole is quite big. But so are phone jacks plugs. They come in different forms and sizes and I hate phone jack not being accessible because of pieces of case being in the way. You will end up with a wonky connection or with just one channel audio.

To give everyone an idea how it will look.

Capture4.JPG

Please keep in mind that the case is not super tight. This is done on purpose.

As the panel has some wiggle room the noticeable slight shift to the left on the picture is negligible in reality to my experience. Also IMHO it is better to leave some headroom than to have people left with 4-8 hours prints but non working cases due to slight tolerance issues with printers. The design is there to be printed and assembled easily.

---

For your request about the big hole. I will create a version with separators. But I do not see the use here. The separators will be super fine and not noticeable behind the big plugs and cables anyway. :shrug:

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:48 am

Ok. I see. The main problem is the big gap to the cover requiring the hole not only for insertion part but the whole connector.
By the way, i've noticed that VGA and earphone connectors sink into PCB in the 3D model. So, they should be around 1.5mm higher.
I will correct it in the model.

Return to “MiSTer”