MiSTer Case at shapeways (nylon plastic)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MiSTer Case at shapeways (nylon plastic)

Postby NegSol » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 pm

I set up a shop at shapeways for anyone wishing to use shapeways services.

They offer a 3d printing service and shipping world wide. They use a laser sinter technique to fuse together nylon making strong parts.

I used their services in the past mainly for coloured 3D printing. Service was excellent then.

The link is https://www.shapeways.com/shops/negsol-design

Currently two designs are uploaded the normal v5.2 Universal and the XS Case for the small RAM pcb.
For each you have to order at least 3 parts. Top Shell, Bottom Shell and the kit for the small parts.

Pricing is serious but you should be able to order the cases for below 100 Euro for most places. Again, this is not a random 3D printer but a top of the line provider. Everyone has to decide how much they want to spend on a hobby. So please no arguing about the price :-)

The shapeways site has every tight rules when it comes to uploading designs ans QA. I had to make minor adjustments to the existing designs meet all requirements for the laser sinter process. Still, I have not ordered the parts myself so I cannot say if they will look beautiful and will be functional. Awaiting the feedback of the first brave one ;-P

Besides the nylon they also offer funky other materials - even precious metal like silver and gold. But for the metal materials the designs have to redone due to wall thickness requirements etc.. Anyway if somebody feels the urge just ask and I might look into it :-P

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: MiSTer Case at shapeways (nylon plastic)

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Is it technology when model is printed inside the liquid? Rasin liquid - may be, i don't remember the name. So, when you take it out, you get the quality like from molds.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Is it technology when model is printed inside the liquid? Rasin liquid - may be, i don't remember the name. So, when you take it out, you get the quality like from molds.

Not quite a liquid but very similar. It is a form of SLA printing which uses heated nylon particles and a laser to fuse the particles together. It should be more professional looking then using a simple FDM printer.

Here you can find all the details:

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/str ... le-plastic

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:45 pm

I added an older version of the MiSTer case for the old v2.7 I/O-Board (the one without the integrated fan). Also I added logo plates for the case that can even be printed in brass or aluminum. For die-hard MiSTer fans I added a keychain design that can be printed in gold plate material.

Again this is not a plug to sell anything! :mrgreen: Only use the service if you feel like it.

Just look at the process involved for printing one of these metal plated objects:
"Precious Plated Metal models are fabricated using a complex seven-step process. First, the model is printed in wax using a specialized high-resolution 3D Printer. It is then put in a container where liquid plaster is poured in around it. Once the plaster sets, the wax is melted out in a furnace, and the remaining plaster becomes the mold.

Molten brass is poured into this mold and set to harden. The plaster is broken away, and your product is carefully cleaned and hand polished. Each product goes through two plating steps - first a layer of tin-rhodium is applied to provide strength and durability. Then your selected precious metal plating provides the finishing touch. "

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/pre ... ated-metal
Last edited by NegSol on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Keychain is also published on Thingiverse for anyone interested :megaphone:

Edit: Now it should be available :roll:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2853259
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks a lot !
I have ordered all the pieces for the XS version (white color).
I should get them by next week and i will upload pictures with my mister installed in it :wink:

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:59 am

Great! Yes - I would really like to see how it turns out. Please report back :D

cvtof
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cvtof » Sat May 05, 2018 1:20 am

hello, will you get out a box that supports the usb card (× 7)?
thank you.

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Sat May 05, 2018 6:25 am

NegSol wrote:Great! Yes - I would really like to see how it turns out. Please report back :D

Hi,
I received all the parts from shapeway but have 2 issues.
- The first one is my own fault, I thought i had a XS Ram board, which is not the case :lol: . I have ordered a XS one and should receive it soon, so i will be able to close the case.
- The second issue is related to printed buttons on the top parts : I guess i should be able to use them, but they have been printed in place and they can't move at all : So what should i do ? Are there additional steps i should perform by myself to make the printed buttons usable ? :roll:
Maybe the top part has not been printed the way you were expecting ?

Otherwise, the printing is very nice and the overall assembled board (including all other daughter boards) perfectly fits in this case (Provided i have the XS ram board, which is just a matter of time now).

Pictures (I will post new ones when i have received the XS ram board)

If you can help and advise for the buttons, that would be cool :)

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat May 05, 2018 7:36 am

Thanks for sharing the pictures and your experience.

About the buttons. They are designed to be moveable and are printed in place. The design worked well for FDM printers. The laser sinter method used by shapeways could cause same to be fused with the case. On the pictures it almost looks completely fused together (correct?). If so, then you will not be able to free them I guess and maybe will have to cut them off to close the case. As the pictures are quite low res, I could be mistaken. So if you see a gap between the button edges and the case you can try and break them free by force. Maybe they are only fused together lightly...
Please feel free to share close–ups pictures of the buttons. That would help me troubleshoot.

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Sat May 05, 2018 7:50 am

NegSol wrote:Thanks for sharing the pictures and your experience.

About the buttons. They are designed to be moveable and are printed in place. The design worked well for FDM printers. The laser sinter method used by shapeways could cause same to be fused with the case. On the pictures it almost looks completely fused together (correct?). If so, then you will not be able to free them I guess and maybe will have to cut them off to close the case. As the pictures are quite low res, I could be mistaken. So if you see a gap between the button edges and the case you can try and break them free by force. Maybe they are only fused together lightly...
Please feel free to share close–ups pictures of the buttons. That would help me troubleshoot.

Yes, indeed, they are completely fused together with the case, so obviously not usable.
And i hardly see any valid option to workaround this.
As i do not own a 3D printer, do you know if there's another option to order a FDM printed version for this part ?
Thanks !

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat May 05, 2018 8:14 am

I already removed the tops with buttons from shapeways. Apparently shapeways uses some pre-processing algo that causes the fusion of independent parts.

I know that thingiverse has a hub that brings together printers and non–printers.
Use the „order this printed“ button to find out more
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740925

Also you could send the stl parts you want from thingiverse to a printer using print services local to you. Others used this method witch success :P
Last edited by NegSol on Sat May 05, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Sat May 05, 2018 8:15 am

DirtyBernie wrote:
NegSol wrote:Thanks for sharing the pictures and your experience.

Yes, indeed, they are completely fused together with the case, so obviously not usable.
And i hardly see any valid option to workaround this.
As i do not own a 3D printer, do you know if there's another option to order a FDM printed version for this part ?

I will upload today better pictures for troubleshooting purpose :wink:
Thanks !

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Sat May 05, 2018 8:24 am

NegSol wrote:I already removed the tops with buttons from shapeways. Apparently shapeways uses some post processing algo that causes the fusion of independent parts.

I know that thingiverse has a hub that brings together printers and non–printers.
Use the „order this printed“ button to find out more
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740925

Also you could send the stl parts you want from thingiverse to a printer using print services local to you. Others used this method witch success :P

Which material should i choose to avoid having the issue with buttons ?

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat May 05, 2018 9:49 am

PLA should work fine (the only material I tested it with).

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Okay - It really bugged me that shapeways would not be able to print the buttons in the TOP Shell models. :oops:
So I did another (slight) re-design of the case's Top Shell ...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YE5XS ... -inventory

Now this Top Shell has "modular" buttons that have to be ordered separately in kit form (MiSTer Case Universal v5.2 ButtonsKit). You will then be able to plug the buttons together to make them work. This step is necessary to get movable buttons with this design as Shapeways does not like to print objects in objects...

An example of items to be ordered together to assemble a full case:
1x MiSTer Case Universal v5.2 Top Shell(1/4)
1x MiSTer Case Universal v5.2 Bottom Shell (2/4)
1x MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - Front/Back/Plugs(Part 3/4)
1x MiSTer Case Universal v5.2 ButtonsKit (Part 4/4)

Also for the MiSTer Case Universal v5.2 I added the option to use other exotic (also more pricey) materials like Metallic Plastic and Frosted Ultra Detail. :mrgreen:

Feel free to "try" and report back your results. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Chinese PCB manufacturers brought PCB closer to hobbyists.
I hope Chinese manufacturers will look at 3D printing market.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes :D - once they get hold of the software shapeways is using to verify prints and organizes production. This service should become really affordable.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 pm

I did the same treatment to the XS v5.2 model hosted on shapeways. So now buttons should be operational after a swift assembly process. :mrgreen:

Any comments or feedback is welcome as always :P

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/negsol-design

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Sun May 13, 2018 5:42 am

NegSol wrote:I did the same treatment to the XS v5.2 model hosted on shapeways. So now buttons should be operational after a swift assembly process. :mrgreen:

Any comments or feedback is welcome as always :P

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/negsol-design

:P Comparing the prototype and the final 2-parts buttons it's hard to figure out how the 2 parts are working together. I understand the tubular part has to be inserted in the new Top case part, which is ok. However what about the button second part ? on the Shapeway picture, it's not obvious how it's supposed to be used (comparing to your protype picture) :

Prototype
Shapeway picture

On the Shapeway picture the button second part seems too large to fit into the tubular part...

Can you please clarify ? :)

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun May 13, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks for asking. I guess I did not explain it too well.
Look at the pictures below. You can see that the button size for the XS is way smaller than the size of the regular v52 case.
The red prototype was the size of a regular v5.2 button not an XS version. But it works the same. 8)

How to use it: After inserting the tubular parts, you will slide and press (carefully!) the other part of the button in place. This parts then acts as a locking bolt. This way you should get a functional moving part. At least that is how it is supposed to work.

Hope this gives you a better idea. :)

cvtof
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cvtof » Sun May 13, 2018 11:05 am

hello
no modification planned for the bottom of the box, to put the USB board ....? thank you

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun May 13, 2018 11:54 am

I do not own a USB board. Also no standard for spacer height and connectors is established as far as I know. Maybe when I see some boards and maybe get one myself I will think of creating an update for the case :)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 13, 2018 12:12 pm

NegSol wrote:I do not own a USB board. Also no standard for spacer height and connectors is established as far as I know. Maybe when I see some boards and maybe get one myself I will think of creating an update for the case :)

I can make STEP model of all boards assembled together for you to create a new case if you want.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun May 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Yes - that could help - cheers!

Return to “MiSTer”