https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Locutus73
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Script launcher menu and Linux hooks fantasies

Postby Locutus73 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
Locutus73 wrote:I hope I'm not missing anything.

Pretty much like you've described.

Ok. What about socfpga.dtb? Do I have to compile it by myself or can I use a pre compiled one?
Does it change with different kernel revisions or is it just hardware dependent?

Thank you in advance.

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 pm

socfpga should be compiled as it may need to be changed later.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 am

I've recalled i've already asked Terasic about kernel and config. So i found their e-mail.
Yes, they use Kernel 4.5.0 - so just use the kernel from my repository. Config is in attachment.
de10-nano_defconfig.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Locutus73
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Locutus73 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I've recalled i've already asked Terasic about kernel and config. So i found their e-mail.
Yes, they use Kernel 4.5.0 - so just use the kernel from my repository. Config is in attachment.
de10-nano_defconfig.zip

Good! Just for curiosity's sake, I’ll check for any differences with /proc/config.gz in the official SD images.
I hope I’ll have the DE10-nano board in my hands by this weekend.
I’m using https://bitlog.it/hardware/building-emb ... soc-fpgas/ for reference, but I still find the device tree compilation a bit cumbersome; do I have to edit tcl files?

Many thanks in advance.

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Not harder than kernel itself.
This will build everything: make zImage modules dtbs

Terasic's u-boot loads dtb from separate file while my u-boot uses zImage_dtb which is simple concatenation of zImage and socfpga.dtb

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 pm

alfishe wrote:SDL 1/2 contain tons of code that might be needed by someone but go with such heavy dependencies just to write pixels? come one

I didn't see what point you tried to make with rest of your post, so I'll answer just your question of why cross-platform emulators use SDL.

Games and emulators use SDL to abstract access to frame buffer, input devices and sound. How that is done, is completely different on every platform (Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android...). Writing such code for every operating system where users may want to use your program, especially when one doesn't even have or use those OSes, would be worse than useless. Especially when there's something widely used like SDL which abstracts that.

While one could argue whether SDL's implementation for such HW access access (in general, or for given platform) is efficient, and whether it could be improved, I would recommend doing that in forums dedicated to SDL.

Locutus73
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Locutus73 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:37 am

Sorgelig wrote:Not harder than kernel itself.
This will build everything: make zImage modules dtbs

Terasic's u-boot loads dtb from separate file while my u-boot uses zImage_dtb which is simple concatenation of zImage and socfpga.dtb

Well, yesterday I received my DE10-nano board from Mouser, but, thanks to cr*ppy Italian postal services, I think that I’ll have to wait at least another week for my SDRAM+heatsink+fan from CBMStuff. Now, I’m pretty OCD about cooling, I’d like to start using the board with heatsink and cooling fan installed, but I know it should be safe do Linux tests with the board as is, without cooling… decisions.

Locutus73

alfishe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby alfishe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Locutus73 wrote: I’d like to start using the board with heatsink and cooling fan installed, but I know it should be safe do Linux tests with the board as is, without cooling… decisions.

It's safe to start board without even heatsink. Just be aware that you won't get heavy cores like ao486 stably working and you might get occasional glitches here and there. Passive heatsink is sufficient for all cores, except ao486 if you don't use any closed case.

Locutus73
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Locutus73 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I've recalled i've already asked Terasic about kernel and config. So i found their e-mail.
de10-nano_defconfig.zip

For now I just had time to extract the Kernel configs from:

1) The original SD card that came with my DE10-Nano
config.DE10-Nano-origninal-SD.4.1.33-ltsi-altera.gz

2) The Linux Console (kernel 4.5) SD card image available on Terasic's Web site
config.de10_nano_linux_console.4.5.0-00198-g6b20a29-dirty.gz

3) The Linux LXDE Desktop (kernel 4.5) SD card image available on Terasic's Web site
config.DE10_Nano_LXDE.4.5.0-00185-g3bb556b.gz

They all differ from the one you posted.

I think I'll try to proceed with Linux LXDE Desktop (kernel 4.5) zImage_dtb+linux.img on MiSTer SD layout.

Locutus73
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Locutus73 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locutus73
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Locutus73 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 pm

DELETED

Return to “MiSTer”