MiSTer in arcade cabinet

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

MiSTer in arcade cabinet

Postby Newsdee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 pm

(creating a thread to discuss outside of the IO Board topic)

NivagSwerdna wrote:Anyway... I would like to use MiSTer with the joystick and button hardware in my arcade cabinet so that implies a large number of button interfaces and probably some kind of isolation between the DE10-Nano and the hardware... the I/O board doesn't seem to do this... does such a board exist or is it for me to create it!

You can get USB encoder boards for a few dollars on Aliexpress, they even sell some with all needed cables to wire them to the control panel. For example:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/327599391 ... 2759939108
I have a couple and they work great, each allows up to 12 buttons plus a 4-way stick. It supports both wiring the joystick in individual connectors or a sanwa style plug with 5 pins.

For the video and sound you can wire it to a Jamma connector, configuring the MiSTer to output 15khz video via VGA out. You don't need an IO board if you directly plug to the right pins.

Alternatively you can get an IO board and this product:
https://www.focusattack.com/ultimarc-j- ... rface-pcb/
Its more expensive but gives you an all in one solution (VGA, sound, and USB adapter)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MiSTer in arcade cabinet

Postby Newsdee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:54 pm

I suppose it is also possible to wire the USB encoders to the JAMMA edge so that everything works as a standard arcade board.

As a quick solution there are some JAMMA extender cables out there that can be cut to serve as a breakout cable, then one just needs to plug the cables to the encoder boards and the MiSTer pins.

Of course one could do a dedicated I/O JAMMA board (with leaf pins to plug the USB encoders easily instead of buttons), but the above should work just by making a cable.

Are there any breakout boards for GPIO pins? That would make it trivial to wire.

robbo43
Atarian
Atarian

Postby robbo43 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi,

I was looking to put a MISTer board in a jamma cabinet. It's good to hear I wouldn't require an I/O board to get video and audio to the jamma interface. Which pins on the DE10 nano output the RGBS and audio signals?

Thanks

Rob

robbo43
Atarian
Atarian

Postby robbo43 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 am

Hi guys,

Sorry to be impatient, would really like to know the GPIO pins I need to connect to get the RGB, sync and mono audio signals to drive a 15kHz arcade monitor. I guess there might be some resistors to add to the video signal as well.

I'm looking to use a jamma fingerboard that includes space to add resistors to the video signal and an onboard audio amplifier. I'll use the classic zero lag usb controller attached to the de10-nano with some perspex and spacers to create a jamma FPGA Namco board that will output Galaxian, Galaga, Pacman and MS Pacman at the native 60.61 Hz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:47 am

robbo43
Atarian
Atarian

Postby robbo43 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:27 am

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. That's way more complicated than I was expecting, it will probably be neater/easier to buy/make an I/O board.

Cheers

Rob

olin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby olin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:50 am

I made a JAMMA board in the past (see https://github.com/ole00/orb/blob/maste ... no_sbc.jpg). I'm pretty sure a similar IO board can be made for MiSTer to accommodate DE10 (or DE0ns). My idea of handling joysticks is to use a Bluepill (with ARM Cortex M chip) board to implement USB device and plug it directly to the DE10 microUSB port. The Bluepill board has plenty of GPIOS and supports USB, so It should be possible to program it to simulate 2 HIDdevices/joysticks connected (via protecting high speed diodes) to JAMMA pads. The Bluepill has standard 2.54mm pins so it can be easily plugged in to the the jamma board (or any custom board).
Last edited by olin on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 pm

Or you can use Arduino Micro on ATmega32U4 chip. It already has open source firmware for HID Joystick.

NivagSwerdna
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NivagSwerdna » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 am

I planning on slowly progressing this and so far my thinking is as follows...

I'm planning a combo RAM & I/O board with a Jamma connector (although initially I will probably do Konami Classic since that is what my cocktail current is)...

The SDRAM will follow the current SDRAM design, for Video I plan to use ADV7125 rather than resistor network (but use existing pins on expansion) and to provide a female VGA connector in addition to RGB on the arcade connector. I need to be able to generate composite sync so was planning to derive that on the FPGA side and use a spare pin.

For access to the buttons and maybe a pair of drivers for coin counters etc I plan to use a serial to parallel approach, driving the outside world at 5V, Not sure if that would be I2C or SPI

My current conundrum is Audio... I think I need some amplification, LM380 should be enough... I am tempted to add a Cirrus Audio DAC exposed as either I2C or SPI.

Obviously the further I diverge from existing hardware the harder life will be on the core side. The VGA composite sync change is compatible, the buttons etc seems integrate-able there is already an interface between the HPS and FPGA side for USB driven controls. The Audio sounds harder.

Any comments appreciated.

Locutus73
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Locutus73 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Or you can use Arduino Micro on ATmega32U4 chip. It already has open source firmware for HID Joystick.

Yep, I used it to receive IR from a remote and mimic an usb keyboard in order to control a PS4.
Very user friendly.

Locutus73

NivagSwerdna
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NivagSwerdna » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 pm

NivagSwerdna wrote:My current conundrum is Audio... I think I need some amplification, LM380 should be enough... I am tempted to add a Cirrus Audio DAC exposed as either I2C or SPI.
Looks like MAX98357A is the answer here given recent changes to core.

olin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby olin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 pm

NivagSwerdna wrote:Looks like MAX98357A is the answer here given recent changes to core.

I use cheap PAM8403 module from ebay. It's powered by 5V only, so it's not very loud, but it's small, cheap and simple to plug in (module contains the passives).

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:35 am

New API allows to switch 3 audio signals into I2S. I'm using MAX98357A in my PiTop case adaptation - result is impressive.

Return to “MiSTer”