Postby Shazz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:05 am

[deleted]
...8bits are enough...

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Re: C64 Core

Postby PiddlyD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:57 am

BBond007 wrote:There is now a port of Super Mario Bros to the C=64.

It works very well on MiSTer and supports the dual SID option, although the sprites positions do seem to be a little shifted to the right compared to the background. It may be due to the game using the VSP-technique for scrolling?

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic ... 62&start=0

I think if you switch from NTSC to PAL, the shifting issue of the sprites goes away.

@Paradroyd - I see that you are connecting to Afterlife using MiSTer's C64 core. I can get it to connect, but I just get gibberish. How should I configure the UART and CCGMS Ultimate in order for it to see the MiSTer ethernet and negotiate with it correctly?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:43 am

It works very well on MiSTer and supports the dual SID option, although the sprites positions do seem to be a little shifted to the right compared to the background. It may be due to the game using the VSP-technique for scrolling?

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic ... 62&start=0

This is PAL game as most of C64 games.
So as said above, switch to PAL and game will look correct.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:36 am

PiddlyD wrote:I think if you switch from NTSC to PAL, the shifting issue of the sprites goes away.

Sorgelig wrote:https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic ... 62&start=0

Thanks... I thought for sure I had tried PAL mode, obviously not... my bad....

PiddlyD wrote:@Paradroyd - I see that you are connecting to Afterlife using MiSTer's C64 core. I can get it to connect, but I just get gibberish. How should I configure the UART and CCGMS Ultimate in order for it to see the MiSTer ethernet and negotiate with it correctly?

That BBS connects fine for me:
UART - MIDI/Remote/TCP
[B]aud rate - 2400 (which should match whatever you have in /media/fat/linux/MidiLink.INI [C64])
[M]odem type - User Port 300-2400.

Make sure you are using the latest version of the core. Release 20190415 seemed to have some corruption with the serial port which frequently caused the character set to switch which may be the cause of the gibberish - like doing C= + shift.

I am happy to report release 20190425 fixes the problem...

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:15 pm

BBond007 wrote:
PiddlyD wrote:I think if you switch from NTSC to PAL, the shifting issue of the sprites goes away.

Sorgelig wrote:https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic ... 62&start=0

Thanks... I thought for sure I had tried PAL mode, obviously not... my bad....

PiddlyD wrote:@Paradroyd - I see that you are connecting to Afterlife using MiSTer's C64 core. I can get it to connect, but I just get gibberish. How should I configure the UART and CCGMS Ultimate in order for it to see the MiSTer ethernet and negotiate with it correctly?

That BBS connects fine for me:
UART - MIDI/Remote/TCP
[B]aud rate - 2400 (which should match whatever you have in /media/fat/linux/MidiLink.INI [C64])
[M]odem type - User Port 300-2400.

Make sure you are using the latest version of the core. Release 20190415 seemed to have some corruption with the serial port which frequently caused the character set to switch which may be the cause of the gibberish - like doing C= + shift.

I am happy to report release 20190425 fixes the problem...

I try to avoid core updates as long as everything I have installed is working fine - stability is generally more important to me - and I constantly see new posts in the Facebook MiSTer group... "Suddenly my joysticks don't work, my sound is garbled, my video is scrambled..." and I always go... "weird... mine is still working fine!"

But then... you run into something like this... and you've got to take that step off the cliff. :D

So, will CCGMS ultimate work as the terminal program? Or is there another Term program for C-64 that you are using, or another version? I'll give this all a try (latest core, your settings). Thanks!

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:40 pm

I am on release 04/15. I tried your settings, but I still get garbage on connect.

Here is my Midilink.INI file

#This is the MidiLink INI File!
#Edit with Notepad++ under Windows
MIDILINK_PRIORITY = -20
MUNT_OPTIONS =
MUNT_VOLUME = 100%
FSYNTH_VOLUME = 100%
MIXER_CONTROL = Master
FSYNTH_SOUNDFONT = /media/fat/soundfonts/SC-55.sf2
UDP_SERVER = 192.168.1.135
UDP_SERVER_PORT = 1999
UDP_SERVER_FILTER = FALSE
TCP_SERVER_PORT = 23
TCP_TERM_ROWS = 22
TCP_TERM_UPLOAD = /media/fat/UPLOAD
TCP_TERM_DOWNLOAD = /media/fat
TCP_TERM_MP3 = /media/fat/MP3
TCP_TERM_MIDI = /media/fat/MIDI
TCT_TERM_SYNTH = FluidSynth
#UDP_BAUD = 2400
#TCP_BAUD = 9600
DELAYSYSEX = FALSE;

I don't have one called Midilink.INI[64]

Could that be the problem?

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:44 pm

And here is the thing... I've got Minimig set up with a terminal and MiamiDX and it connects fine to this BBS using a telnet client on the same FPGA box. It is just the C-64 core that I can't get to connect.
I know that the one core doesn't really have any significance on the configuration of the other for connecting... it is probably operator error - but it is still frustrating that I can get the Amiga to connect but not the C-64.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:11 pm

PiddlyD wrote:I try to avoid core updates as long as everything I have installed is working fine - stability is generally more important to me - and I constantly see new posts in the Facebook MiSTer group... "Suddenly my joysticks don't work, my sound is garbled, my video is scrambled..." and I always go... "weird... mine is still working fine!"

Generally speaking the problems you speak of are fixed soon as they are reported - Sorgelig is lighting fast with fixes. Simply reverting to the previous 'MiSTer' or core will fix these "growing pain" type problems until they are properly addressed. The problem is, if you do encounter an issue, it's much harder for others to help you if you are running a mismatch of outdated components.

PiddlyD wrote:I am on release 04/15. I tried your settings, but I still get garbage on connect.

As I said, the 04/15 C64 core has problems with the UART. Use 04/25 or even 04/13 if you want to stick an older version. Just don't use 04/15 for modem...

PiddlyD wrote:So, will CCGMS ultimate work as the terminal program? Or is there another Term program for C-64 that you are using, or another version? I'll give this all a try (latest core, your settings). Thanks!

I use "ccgms 2017 v6.prg" but others work well too. This one loads really fast.

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=156523

PiddlyD wrote:And here is the thing... I've got Minimig set up with a terminal and MiamiDX and it connects fine to this BBS using a telnet client on the same FPGA box. It is just the C-64 core that I can't get to connect.
I know that the one core doesn't really have any significance on the configuration of the other for connecting... it is probably operator error - but it is still frustrating that I can get the Amiga to connect but not the C-64.

You lost me there - MiamiDX is TCP/IP stack (PPP). To connect to a C64 BBS you need to use modem emulation. - ie. "ATDTafterlife.dynu.com:6400"

The default UART - MidiLink/Remote/TCP speed is 115200 baud. The C64 USER port serial implementation can only operate up to 2400 baud.

Your MidiLink.INI is outdated as it has no predefined [sections] for the various cores. See --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MidiLin ... nk_INI.zip

The sections allow the different cores to have different default baud settings without having to constantly edit the INI file every time you switch cores. For example, Minimig and ao486 work well at 115200, FX CAST no higher than 19200, C64 needs no higher than 2400 and I'm not sure what speed the CoCo uses... 'TCP_ATH_DELAY = 0' is necessary on the C64 core if you want your hangups to be detected.

This is what I use for C64:
[C64]
MIDI_BAUD = 2400
UDP_BAUD = 2400
TCP_BAUD = 2400
TCP_TERM_ROWS = 24
TCP_ATH_DELAY = 0
TCP_TERM_TRANS = PETSKII

When was the last time your Linux environment was updated? If you are not on the latest Linux, your MidiLink binary may be too outdated to understand the sections in which case adding the TCP setting as suggested will also affect other cores such as Minimig and ao486.

MidiLink update --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MidiLin ... script.zip

Hope that helps :)

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:20 am

It does help.

So, I downloaded the updated midilink_INI.zip, extracted and copied over to my Linux subdirectory on my Mister SD card.

confirmed in Notepad++ that the settings matched what you wrote here.

Updated to the most recent C64 core.

booted into it, tried to connect. Same issue.

So I am assuming my Linux environment is outdated. So I went to the MidiLink update you linked to... It looks like the script is about 2 months old, and I think it is safe to say my install is older than that, and hasn't been updated.

And now I'm wondering... how do I run the midilink_updater_script.sh on Mister? Is there a SSH Linux part running on MiSTer just like a RetroPi, where I can shell in and just ./midilink_updater_script.sh and it'll do its business?

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:24 am

Nevermind. Running the script now - no backup. Fingers crossed. :D 8O :D

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:34 am

Followed all the advice you gave me. Copied the script over to the fat partition. SSHed into the Mister, ran the script. It ran and the Mister rebooted. Latest C64 core. I'll try the term you link here, that is the only difference at this point.

Same issue. Can still connect using Minimig.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:40 am

PiddlyD wrote:So I am assuming my Linux environment is outdated. So I went to the MidiLink update you linked to... It looks like the script is about 2 months old, and I think it is safe to say my install is older than that, and hasn't been updated.

You really should also update your Linux environment... You can safely run the SD installer again telling it just to update the bootloader & Linux. There are huge improvements to the USB stack improving stability, bluetooth support and without the Linux ALSA sound you won't get the authentic modem sounds :)

A new core might rely on changes to the MiSTer executable which might rely on updates to the underling Linux environment.

I would suggest Locutus73's updater script to keep on top of things. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer

All these updates fix a lot more than they (occasionally) break :)

PiddlyD wrote:And now I'm wondering... how do I run the midilink_updater_script.sh on Mister? Is there a SSH Linux part running on MiSTer just like a RetroPi, where I can shell in and just ./midilink_updater_script.sh and it'll do its business?

You can do it that way, but you should have a "Scripts" option when you first bootup MiSTer right above where is shows IP address - unless your install is really that outdated.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:12 am

I really appreciate your patience with me. I'm starting to feel like I'm getting a little sketchy here and that maybe I should image my SD to a hard drive before I keep screwing around with things I'm not *fully* certain I know how to do. :) I'm making production changes on the fly without a known good backup, at this point. :)

I'd hate to start over from scratch when a LOT of what I need/want is working so well right now just so I can connect to Afterlife with a C-64 ANSI terminal on my MiSTer.

I see on the github site that you're basically the guy running the Linux section, Bbond007.

If running the SD installer is the best/safest way to update the Linux part I guess that is what I need to do, and probably set up Locutus73's scripts, too.

My Menu says I am running: ARM sw ver HPS190126 and there is a scripts option in the menu. So, I'm not THAT far out of date. I only put this together around January. And... I just realized 19/01/26 shows right where in January I started. :D

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:50 am

PiddlyD wrote: I'd hate to start over from scratch when a LOT of what I need/want is working so well right now just so I can connect to Afterlife with a C-64 ANSI terminal on my MiSTer.

You can connect to other BBS too. That is far from the only PETSKII BBS out there :)

PiddlyD wrote:If running the SD installer is the best/safest way to update the Linux part I guess that is what I need to do, and probably set up Locutus73's scripts, too.

That probably is the best way because I also believe there was an update to the bootloader after January.

Before doing that it would obviously be a good idea to copy all your game files to your HD. You should definitely do that anyway because SD cards do die. I had a 64gb sandisk fail. You really don't need to image the SD - but you could.

PiddlyD wrote:I see on the github site that you're basically the guy running the Linux section, Bbond007.

As far as I know, I am just the guy working on the MidiLink project that allows for MIDI sound options and Modem emulation - Unless someone has put me in charge of something I'm not aware of :)

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Sorgelig wrote:

Actually it has support for both PAL and NTSC, like most of the recent games. I saw some US reviews of this port and it worked correctly on their NTSC C64.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:56 pm

evdberg wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:

Actually it has support for both PAL and NTSC, like most of the recent games. I saw some US reviews of this port and it worked correctly on their NTSC C64.

May be there are different versions for PAL and NTSC. May be it tries to detect NTSC but fails - it's unknown how it autodetect (if any). But since it works in PAL - it's not a problem. Anyway C64 is de-facto PAL machine as most games are PAL :)

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:28 am

evdberg wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:

The offset sprites shows up in NTSC, and switching to PAL resolves the issue. The game will tell you the optimized mode for the machine you are on... and by default it recommends PAL on a C-64, but it works fine on a C-128 in NTSC mode and leverages the turbo mode of the C128.

I know this because I've tested it on MiST, MiSTer in both PAL and NTSC and a genuine NTSC C128.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 am

As far as I know, I am just the guy working on the MidiLink project that allows for MIDI sound options and Modem emulation - Unless someone has put me in charge of something I'm not aware of :)

Downloaded Release_20190406 and ran the SD Card utility on my SD Update Boot+Files.

It said it ran successfully.

Still having the same problem. Tried with Ultimate and the .prg version you linked to.[/quote]

Scratch this. I re-ran the SD Card utility and this time the Linux update took far longer. I think the write protect switch on the SD card was protected when I ran the first update. I can tell already that something changed, because the menu system font is radically different looking than it was.

Now the core is making dialing noises and carrier connect noises- which is cool - but... still just these lines of checkerboard ANSI grids once it connects.

Verified it says HPS S/W V190406 C64 v190425

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm

And now I'm having a problem where the Minimig core won't see doubleclicks reliably, no matter how I set the mouse click speed in the control panel. I saw someone complaining about this after updating on the MiSTer FPGA group on Facebook.

Same problem in A0486.

I am Jack's regret.

:?

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Sorgelig wrote:May be there are different versions for PAL and NTSC. May be it tries to detect NTSC but fails - it's unknown how it autodetect (if any). But since it works in PAL - it's not a problem. Anyway C64 is de-facto PAL machine as most games are PAL :)

The game correctly detects NTSC when the C64 core is set to NTSC. It must also change timing, because most of the screen is correctly (unlike f.i. Mayhem in Monsterland which is completely garbled).

I noticed that the C64 core does not start when run as 1st after powering on MiSTer. Is this a known issue? After reboot it will start correctly.

Also would it be possible to switch the screen frequency to 50Hz of the chosen screen resolution (in my case 1920x1080) when PAL is selected and to 60Hz when NTSC is selected? Vsync=1 does not work for me with the C64 core in combination with my monitor.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:29 pm

evdberg wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:May be there are different versions for PAL and NTSC. May be it tries to detect NTSC but fails - it's unknown how it autodetect (if any). But since it works in PAL - it's not a problem. Anyway C64 is de-facto PAL machine as most games are PAL :)

The game correctly detects NTSC when the C64 core is set to NTSC. It must also change timing, because most of the screen is correctly (unlike f.i. Mayhem in Monsterland which is completely garbled).

I noticed that the C64 core does not start when run as 1st after powering on MiSTer. Is this a known issue? After reboot it will start correctly.

Also would it be possible to switch the screen frequency to 50Hz of the chosen screen resolution (in my case 1920x1080) when PAL is selected and to 60Hz when NTSC is selected? Vsync=1 does not work for me with the C64 core in combination with my monitor.

I saw this too. It actually starts, just with a black screen - no video.

Rebooting clears the issue. I think I'm just going to revert to the older base core and cores again. The updates have a lot of nice features - but there are a lot of bugs right now.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Well, I came home and decided to dig around a little more and think about what I might be doing wrong...

And I realized that when I ran the SD_Card utility to update boot and Linux... that maybe it was implied that I was supposed to update the main firmware binary manually. So, while downloading it, I was reading through the setup wiki and saw that it directed you to download and install the menu.rbf file too.

I figured it couldn't hurt to update these both manually, so I downloaded the latest MiSTer_2019024 firmware file and the latest menu_20190226.rbf file, renamed them both as directed in the wiki, and copied them over.

My Amiga and AO486 double-click mouse issues are resolved - my Atari 5200 analog controller works again including dual stick support for Robotron 2084...

But I still get garbage when I try to connect to a Telnet BBS.

I've attached some screenshots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:30 pm

Here is my Midilink.ini file:

#This is the MidiLink INI File!
#Edit with Notepad++ under Windows

MIDILINK_PRIORITY = -20
MUNT_OPTIONS =
MP3_VOLUME = -1
MUNT_VOLUME = -1
MODEM_VOLUME = -1
FSYNTH_VOLUME = -1
MIXER_CONTROL = Master
MUNT_ROM_PATH = /media/fat/linux/mt32-rom-data
FSYNTH_SOUNDFONT = /media/fat/linux/soundfonts/SC-55.sf2
UDP_SERVER = 192.168.1.157
UDP_SERVER_PORT = 1999
UDP_SERVER_FILTER = FALSE
UDP_FLOW = 0
TCP_SERVER_PORT = 23
TCP_TERM_UPLOAD = /media/fat/UPLOAD
TCP_TERM_DOWNLOAD = /media/fat
TCP_TERM_MP3 = /media/fat/MP3
TCP_TERM_MIDI = /media/fat/MIDI
TCP_TERM_SYNTH = FluidSynth
TCP_TERM_ROWS = 23
TCP_FLOW = 3
TCP_SOUND = TRUE
DELAYSYSEX = TRUE

[MINIMIG]
TCP_TERM_ROWS = 22

[C64]
MIDI_BAUD = 2400
TCP_BAUD = 2400
TCP_TERM_ROWS = 24
TCP_ATH_DELAY = 0
TCP_TERM_TRANS = PETSKII

[AO486]
MIDI_BAUD = 38400
TCP_SOUND_CONNECT = /media/fat/SOUNDS/connect_sav.wav
O486]
MIDI_BAUD = 38400

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:13 am

PiddlyD wrote:O486]
MIDI_BAUD = 38400

Looks like this is duplicated & corrupt (missing '[A'), delete that part - Doubt that has anything to do with the problem, but worth fixing...

I'm not sure why its not working. It almost looks like the baud rate is incorrect. What happens if you type commands such as "ATHELP" or "ATVER"?

At one point (a while ago...) the location of the MidiLink.INI changed from '/media/fat/config' to '/media/fat/linux' - are you editing the one in the 'linux' directory? If there is one in 'config' you can delete it...

I was able to connect to Afterlife BBS (afterlife.dynu.com:6400) with both of my MiSTers with the 4/25 C64 core - I have one MiSTer that is more affected by core stability issues than the other.

evdberg wrote:I noticed that the C64 core does not start when run as 1st after powering on MiSTer. Is this a known issue? After reboot it will start correctly.

I get that on one of my MiSTers but not the other. If i just reload the core it seems to work the 2nd time.

Return to “MiSTer”