https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Chris23235
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Vectrex core

Postby Chris23235 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:40 pm

12characters wrote:
Chris23235 wrote:Armor Attack has the correct aspect ratio.

Look at this video from the original machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO5f5wDMmjA

Armor Attack has a huge border at the top and the bottom which makes the game field appear almost like a square, it's the same when I run it on Mister.

You are tight it's clearly messed up an 16:9, because ever non 16:9 image is distorted, when you stretch it to 16:9. And the image is simply stretched to 16:9 and not like I thought displayed with a bigger border.

You can see that the aspect ratio is correct by looking at the copyright logo on the startup screen of the system, it's a circle like it should be.

EDIT: Turn of the frame in the core menu to see the display size

To show you what I mean, I took a screenshot within MiSTer. However, the screenshot had the correct aspect ratio. The problem is that it is not what I see on my TV screen.

I use 1920x1080@60 as output video mode in MiSTer and have the picture size set to 16:9 on my TV. If I change the picture siize in the TV settings to 4:3, the aspect ratio becomes correct.

So it seems that the Vectrex core does not behave like the other cores but perhaps assumes that you are using a 4:3 display. Can it not instead read the video_mode setting or whatever the other cores do?

I am not sure what you mean, which aspect ratio do you use in the core? 16:9 or 4:3? On my TV aspect ratio is correct in the Vectrex core (and every other core as well), when I set it in the core to 4:3. My TV displays the 4:3 picure correct in 1920x1080@60 16:9 mode on the TV.

If your TV is not displaying it in the correct aspect ratio, when you set the core to 4:3 it is an issue with your TV and not the core.

12characters
Atariator
Atariator

Postby 12characters » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Chris23235 wrote:I am not sure what you mean, which aspect ratio do you use in the core? 16:9 or 4:3? On my TV aspect ratio is correct in the Vectrex core (and every other core as well), when I set it in the core to 4:3. My TV displays the 4:3 picure correct in 1920x1080@60 16:9 mode on the TV.

If your TV is not displaying it in the correct aspect ratio, when you set the core to 4:3 it is an issue with your TV and not the core.

If it is my TV, why do other cores behave as expected? For example, the Gameboy core has the option of using the aspect ratio 16:9, 4:3 or (original) 10:9. With the same settings in main MiSTer and on the TV, the output picture for this core has the specified aspect ratio (I have measured to be sure).

Attached, there is a photo of the TV screen when running Armor Attack (4:3 as aspect ratio in the core menu). Granted, as judged by the red frame, the output picture is not 4:3 but close to a square with just slightly greater height than width. However, if one looks at the maze, its width is clearly greater than its height, while in the video that you linked, it is the reversed. The video shows an emulator running the game but it ought to be the same on the original hardware.

With the settings that you state in MiSTer (1920x1080@60) and on your TV (16:9 mode), do you actually see an aspect ratio closer to the video than the attached image? Are you using the latest release of the Vectrex core (20190928)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris23235

Postby Chris23235 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 pm

You are right, at least Armor Attack is in fact not in the correct AR, I compared the image on my screen to the video and as you say, the picture is distorted.

Return to “MiSTer”