kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby kolla » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:55 am

optiroc wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:New version with i hope more stable build:
minimig_2.zip
MiSTer binary is the same as in previous build, so i've included it just for completeness.
Please test it.

Works like a charm here!

Hm., not so charmy here...
* random read errors from my disk images, pressing "try again" usually works, but not always.
* every now and then, on reboot, the "harddisks" are not found and I get the "insert disk" animation.
* random freezes and reboots that I never had with earlier Minimig cores.
-- kolla

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:24 am

Well, I looked at FUSION... it doesn't work with 512K or 1MB Mac ROMs... which means there is a problem with the most significant byte of the longword (bits 24-31). I also confirmed this with PCx (my PC emulator). It crashes when trying to launch EMM386 or Windows.

So, I took a quick look at some test code and immediately found a problem with the CMP2 instruction.

ie:

cmp2.l (a1),d0

This actually WRITES to whatever A1 is pointing to! This should be a simple comparison instruction, which is a read-only operation.

So, whoever is making the changes to the core might want to make sure that read-only operations are not doing writes. :) Also, you might want to look at anything that is stripping any part of the upper byte of a longword (like maybe killing the MSB of the longword).
I am the flux ninja

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am

As CMP2 is not implemented, it hardly can write anything. But what happens with an unimplemented opcode, that's another question.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:20 pm

Yeah, funny to see bug report from instruction which is listed as unimplemented.
Pinball Illusion also relays on CMP2 (or CAS2 - i don't remember).

apolkosnik
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby apolkosnik » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:35 pm

It would be pretty easy to add it with nop functionality.

Sorgelig wrote:Yeah, funny to see bug report from instruction which is listed as unimplemented.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Yeah, funny to see bug report from instruction which is listed as unimplemented.

Actually that works for me with Retrofun's TRAPV implementation.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:48 pm

slingshot wrote:

Actually that works for me with Retrofun's TRAPV implementation.

For me it crashes once i start the table.
May be crash is related to other instructions fixes..

Code: Select all

Exception "Trace" ($2024)
at $FFDC0004 occured

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:51 pm

slingshot wrote:As CMP2 is not implemented, it hardly can write anything. But what happens with an unimplemented opcode, that's another question.

Well, whatever the opcode lookup is doing is actually WRITING to whatever the first comparison value (A1 in the example I gave) is pointing to.

The Mac OS uses CMP2. So does SAS-C compiler for the Amiga when put into 020+ mode. So, you are going to find a variety of Amiga programs that will not work until that is implemented.
I am the flux ninja

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 pm

The Mac OS also uses CAS/CAS2. In fact, the Mac OS uses every single valid 68020+ opcode. When a 68040 is present it also uses MOV16 and other 040 specific instructions. Until 100% of the instructions are implemented, there is absolutely no way any Mac emulation will work. I don't use cmp2, cas, or cas2 with PCx. I do use a variety of complex instruction modes though. So perhaps not all of these are supported?
I am the flux ninja

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm

from TG68K source:

Code: Select all

-- to do 68010:
-- (MOVEC)
-- BKPT (with debug hardware attached)
-- MOVES
--
-- to do 68020:
-- (CALLM)
-- (RETM)

-- CAS, CAS2
-- CHK2
-- CMP2
-- cpXXX Coprozessor stuff
-- TRAPcc

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 am

Well, that would explain the compatibility issues then for the Mac emulation. For PCx, it seems that something is broken in the one of the complex address modes or something. I verified that bits 24-31 in addresses are being adversely affected by "something".
I am the flux ninja

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 am

I found the way to use lower SDRAM clock and keep the performance at the same level. At least for FastRAM.
Stay tuned :)

Yoda313
Atarian
Atarian

Do I need an rtc for my mister for minimg?

Postby Yoda313 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:31 am

Hi,

I e the de10 and mister setup but I can't get the minimig loaded. I can run genesis and SNES and I do have the sram module.

I have the minimig core rbf in the root and the kickstarter1.2 renamed to kick.rom. I can select everything in the odd but when I select the game nothing happens. I don't have the os loaded. What am I missing? Please list the files and equipment needed for the minimig amiga core. Also what is the run command to start the game from the odd menu? Also please note the game is in a amiga folder and the core and rom files are in the root. Is that wrong? Thanks I e been looking for a directory structure and full command list but can't seem to find it.

GoingDown
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Do I need an rtc for my mister for minimg?

Postby GoingDown » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Yoda313 wrote:I have the minimig core rbf in the root and the kickstarter1.2 renamed to kick.rom. I can select everything in the odd but when I select the game nothing happens. I don't have the os loaded. What am I missing? Please list the files and equipment needed for the minimig amiga core. Also what is the run command to start the game from the odd menu? Also please note the game is in a amiga folder and the core and rom files are in the root. Is that wrong? Thanks I e been looking for a directory structure and full command list but can't seem to find it.

You should have all you need, although Kickstart 1.3 would probably be little bit better than 1.2.

Do you get Kickstart screen (White screen with hand holding blue floppy-disk picture)? And what format your games are? You will need ADF disk images, they may also be packed as ZIP, open zip and check what it contains. (Well, you may create hard disk, install Workbench there and then use also whdload games, but it is another story, and it requires Kickstart 3)

When you press F12 to get menu, you should have option to select DF0 disk image - select it and then select the game ADF disk image there.
Also, on Memory option, there is ROM chooser to select your kickstart rom, check that you have your kick.rom there.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:13 am

I made a virtual hard drive and installed Classic Workbench for the Amiga core.
Google can show you how to do that.

Yoda313
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Yoda313 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:29 am

GoingDown wrote:
Yoda313 wrote:I have the minimig core rbf in the root and the kickstarter1.2 renamed to kick.rom. I can select everything in the odd but when I select the game nothing happens. I don't have the os loaded. What am I missing? Please list the files and equipment needed for the minimig amiga core. Also what is the run command to start the game from the odd menu? Also please note the game is in a amiga folder and the core and rom files are in the root. Is that wrong? Thanks I e been looking for a directory structure and full command list but can't seem to find it.

You should have all you need, although Kickstart 1.3 would probably be little bit better than 1.2.

Do you get Kickstart screen (White screen with hand holding blue floppy-disk picture)? And what format your games are? You will need ADF disk images, they may also be packed as ZIP, open zip and check what it contains. (Well, you may create hard disk, install Workbench there and then use also whdload games, but it is another story, and it requires Kickstart 3)

When you press F12 to get menu, you should have option to select DF0 disk image - select it and then select the game ADF disk image there.
Also, on Memory option, there is ROM chooser to select your kickstart rom, check that you have your kick.rom there.

I actually just bought the Amiga forever deluxe suite. I thought I might have a faulty rom. So I tried one from the long list in the forever directory and renamed it to kick.rom. unfortunately same results. I don't get any os screen.

Do I need to recopy the core? I tried resetting it in the software but no go. It still showed kickstarter 1.2 even though I switched roms.

Also when it leads with the os does the game image start automatically after selecting it or do you need to hit a certain function key to run it?

Thanks.

breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby breiztiger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:07 pm

hi

i there a way to watch this demo

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=981

it say doesn't like axel ...

perhaps a menu option to have stock a500, a600 and a1200 can be added for this type of demo ?

apolkosnik
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby apolkosnik » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Probably the best bet is to go for whdload version. I think that last time I checked it didn't run on Vampire either.

http://www.whdload.de/demos/CrionicsSil ... wired.html

breiztiger wrote:hi

i there a way to watch this demo

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=981

it say doesn't like axel ...

perhaps a menu option to have stock a500, a600 and a1200 can be added for this type of demo ?

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Yoda313 wrote:I actually just bought the Amiga forever deluxe suite. I thought I might have a faulty rom. So I tried one from the long list in the forever directory and renamed it to kick.rom. unfortunately same results. I don't get any os screen.

This has been mentioned several times in this thread already, but probably still worth asking.

For Amiga Forever ROMS you also need the ROM.KEY. Did you copy that over?

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:55 pm

BBond007 wrote:For Amiga Forever ROMS you also need the ROM.KEY. Did you copy that over?

There is no more ROM.KEY in the current versions of Amiga Forever. The kickroms just work.

@Yoda313: In the Root of the SD Card create a folder "Amiga" and copy the roms into that folder. You don't need to rename them. You need to create configs. For Amiga 500 create a config in the OSD that has "CPU = 68000, Turbo=NONE, Chipset=ECS, chipRAM=0.5MB, slowRAM=0.5MB, Kickstart 1.3". You can simply select the kickrom "amiga-os-130.rom" from OSD "Memory" and you have to save that config. Save it to slot 1 and to startup. That should work then.

Yoda313
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Yoda313 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 pm

Threepwood wrote:
BBond007 wrote:For Amiga Forever ROMS you also need the ROM.KEY. Did you copy that over?

There is no more ROM.KEY in the current versions of Amiga Forever. The kickroms just work.

Thanks to both of you.

So there are tons of roms in the amiga folder. Do I just copy one to the sd root and rename it kick.rom? Or does it need to be a specific rom? None said kickstarter. Was that the wrong folder?

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Yoda313 wrote:Thanks to both of you.

So there are tons of roms in the amiga folder. Do I just copy one to the sd root and rename it kick.rom? Or does it need to be a specific rom? None said kickstarter. Was that the wrong folder?

On your MiSTer SD-Card create a folder "Amiga" in the root of the SD card. To that folder copy "amiga-os-130.rom" and "amiga-os-310-a1200.rom" from Shared\rom on your PC. Do not rename them, leave them as is. Then follow the instruction in my previous post.

blacklistedcard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby blacklistedcard » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:59 pm

I wish there was a hd disk image that had 1080p resolution already setup.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:17 am

Threepwood wrote:There is no more ROM.KEY in the current versions of Amiga Forever. The kickroms just work.

That is good. That encryption was stupid anyway. It was simple enough to defeat just by dumping the ROM inside of UAE.

blacklistedcard wrote:I wish there was a hd disk image that had 1080p resolution already setup.

Not sure what you mean...

MiSTer Minimig does not have RTG support so no 1080p.

Best you can do is use the HD720(1280x720 interlaced) or HGFX(1024x768 interlaced) monitor drivers which are really simple to set up...

"Move the HighGFX Driver from this archiv to your "sys:devs/monitors" directory"

http://aminet.net/package/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6

dBUGBUG
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dBUGBUG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 am

Any possibility updates to MiSTer comes back to MiST ?

Return to “MiSTer”