Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby R4MS » Sun May 19, 2019 9:41 pm

If you provide a more detailed description of the problem, I can have a look at it. Can you write (or PM) your detailed setup? I need Minimig settings, Kickstart version, Workbench, Xbench etc.

caver99
Atariator
Atariator

Postby caver99 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:24 am

Hi

not long got my de-10 nano and just received an i/o board, sd ram card and rtc with case all funky and gotten most thing working now.
on the minimig core thou i am having strange things happen, first was when i had a 16gb sd card when i load the core up with the 1.3 kick.rom in root i got a flashing light like a real amiga hardware faault now i have gone to a new 128gb sd card and when load the core up without kick i get the black screen with minimig writing on it but when i put the kick.rom back on i get a grey screen no animation.
not sure what im doing wrong here as ive used the same rom ect on my mist so i know its working.
any ideas?

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Fri May 24, 2019 10:10 am

Please double check the rom you are loading. MiSTer only checks for the right file size. Also, I would recommend a memory check using the MemTest core
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest ... r/releases.

caver99
Atariator
Atariator

Postby caver99 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 am

R4MS wrote:Please double check the rom you are loading. MiSTer only checks for the right file size. Also, I would recommend a memory check using the MemTest core
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest ... r/releases.

any idea what size rom as i have tried the 1.3 256k rom and the 3.1 512k and the 3.1.4 one as well.
the memtest hab been run for over 2 hours at 1.67 with a single problem being found.

Graham

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Minimig also tends to hang if it does not find an active hdf or adf file. Have you disabled all ide drives and removed all floppy images in the OSD? I once moved my hdf files and the system also did refuse to boot without error message.

The size is fine, if MiSTer loads it. But since MiSTer does not compute the checksum, it would also load a corrupted image without complaints. But since you've tried multiple roms, I guess we can rule out this as the cause.

thecaver99
Atarian
Atarian

Postby thecaver99 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:09 pm

R4MS wrote:Minimig also tends to hang if it does not find an active hdf or adf file. Have you disabled all ide drives and removed all floppy images in the OSD? I once moved my hdf files and the system also did refuse to boot without error message.

The size is fine, if MiSTer loads it. But since MiSTer does not compute the checksum, it would also load a corrupted image without complaints. But since you've tried multiple roms, I guess we can rule out this as the cause.

yes I have checked hdf and adf's I have even removed them off the sd card.
the SDRAM is the windownd type and just for the hell I might get one of them alliance chip ones which seem to more stable than winbound ones.
as just had it on test and I made a mistake as I had it on test at 167 and I do get a few errors but at 150 not a single one at all but if im not mistaken no core runs at 167 as yet of if wrong please let me know.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:03 pm

thecaver99 wrote:yes I have checked hdf and adf's I have even removed them off the sd card.
the SDRAM is the windownd type and just for the hell I might get one of them alliance chip ones which seem to more stable than winbound ones.
as just had it on test and I made a mistake as I had it on test at 167 and I do get a few errors but at 150 not a single one at all but if im not mistaken no core runs at 167 as yet of if wrong please let me know.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... t-by-cores

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Fri May 24, 2019 9:46 pm

But if RAM and ROM files are good and there are no adfs or hdfs selected in the OSD if have no clue what the problem might be.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Are the ROM files from Amiga Forever? if so they also need the ROM.KEY

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat May 25, 2019 12:08 am

If Minimig does not find a "rom.key" file, it wont load Amiga Forever roms (which are of size 256K + 11 or 512K + 11). Also, there is no encrypted version of 3.1.4.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat May 25, 2019 12:16 pm

For bug reports (in particular the last one, when not much context can be given) it would help to see the debug output. My favorit way to display debug information (without connecting additional cables) is to ssh into mister, kill MiSTER

ps aux | grep MiSTer | cut -d " " -f2 | xargs -iX kill X

and then starting it again

MiSTer

then all output will be directed to the ssh window.
Last edited by R4MS on Sat May 25, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat May 25, 2019 1:43 pm

'pkill MiSTER' doesn't work? :)
-- kolla

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 25, 2019 3:19 pm

easier way to kill the app:

Code: Select all

killall MiSTer

Why need to invent complicated ways? ;)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 25, 2019 4:36 pm

Forgot to merge to my local code the key changes, so it didn't go to release yet.
Will be in next release.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat May 25, 2019 5:10 pm

New Feature: use raw USB Sticks or SD cards (connected via USB) as hard disk.

Since I finished changing the capacitors of my A1200, I wanted this feature to be able to use the same SD Card in both devices.

It's sort of a bugfix for Main_Mister. The binary thinks it's only dealing with regular files, directories and zip-files. But it also allows links. And it is possible to just "ln -s /dev/sda /media/fat/Amiga/sda.hdf" and load that file. The only problem is, that MiSTer get the file size from an fstat(), which produces 0 for special files. So, if fstat returns a nonzero st_rdev, we need to get the size using an ioctl call. In addition, for good measure, I also check if the size returned by fstat is indeed 0 before messing with the file size.

Since this is a patch to file_io in Main_Mister I do need to double check, that the patch won't break anything else. It will be up before Monday.

aggro
Atarian
Atarian

Postby aggro » Sun May 26, 2019 6:03 am

I am new to the MiSTer and the form. I am able to get most of the consoles to work as well as some of the computer cores on my mister. However, after many hours of trying different configurations and reading this form I am unable to get the minimig to work. Originally, I was using a kickstart1.3.rom I got from a Retro Games disk years back. Since the best I could get was a flash of the text while loading and then either a blank screen or a grey screen getting progressively lighter and then nothing. It is a legitimate kick rom and I did have the rom.key file with it and I have been using it for years with WinUAE. After much frustration, I decided maybe there was a compatibility issue with the older kick rom and so I purchased the Amiga Forever 8 Plus pack. After installing and grabbing the rom files I am still having similar issues. I tried the 1.3 and 3.1 roms with no luck using the following configurations.

CPU: 68020, Video: NTSC and PAL, Chipset: AGA and ECS, Chip: 2M, Fast: 24M and zero, amiga-os-310-xxxx.rom (there are several 3.1 roms I tried), No disk files selected
CPU: 68000, Video: NTSC and PAL, Chipset: OCS-A500 and OCS-A1000 and ECS, Chip: 512k, Slow: 512k, amiga-os-130-xxxx.rom (there are several 1.3 roms), No disk files selected

The kick roms are all in the root folder and the minimig is under _computers folder. I have tried the latest, 5/2/2019, as well as the previous, 3/9/2019, minimig rbf files with no luck.

Am I missing a file or a step? One of the main reasons I got the MiSTer was for the Amiga cores. I see a couple others having the similar issues in this discussion over the last few years but no solutions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sun May 26, 2019 10:21 am

OK. I'll try to give a step by step guide, also as a reference for other people who might have a similar problem.

1. Deselect all floppy and ide images. Minimig might just hang trying to load a certain file.
2. Check Kickstart ROM. Use originals from Amiga Forever or check if it works with WinUAE.
2b). Enable HRTMON in OSD and copy the attached ROM to /media/fat (or /media/fat/Amiga). Press F11 after booting. You should see a screen with white text on a blue background and should be able to type text.
3. Use the Memcheck Core to check if your RAM module is OK.
4. Try HDMI video instead of VGA. Try different monitors. If no scaler is enabled, Minimig produces a 15khz signal on VGA, which can not be displayed by most modern monitors.
5. Read the last two weeks of post in this thread. Maybe there were problems with this core or with the binary.
Currently, I would recommend to use
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... r_20190515
because of stability issues with the latest release 20190525. But you should still see the boot screen with the current binary.
6. Get the console debug output. Have a thorough look at it. Maybe that gives you a clue about the problem. If not, post the file here.

HOWTO 5&6: (using ethernet on Linux, on Windows using putty should be similar)
a) Get the IP of your MiSTer from the OSD, or (much better) give MiSTer an DNS name on your router.
b) scp MiSTer_20190515 root@mister:/media/fat (replace root@mister with root@<IP of MiSTer> when you did not set up your router accordingly)
Password: 1. You can skip this step, if you do not want to replace the binary.
c) ssh root@mister
and execute the following commands on the MiSTer
cd /media/fat
killall MiSTer
[to replace binary] mv MiSTer_20190515 MiSTer
MiSTer
d) Copy the output after starting MiSTer into a file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aggro
Atarian
Atarian

Postby aggro » Sun May 26, 2019 4:47 pm

R4MS,

Thank you for the reply.

1) No floppies are selected.
2) All of the kick roms are from Amiga Forever and do work with WinUAE.
2b) At the bottom of your post it says that I do not have the permissions to view the files. Can you post a link to this file?
4) I have been using HDMI with a 24" monitor as well as a 32" Samsung TV. I don't see an option to enable a scalar.
5) I am currently using the 5/15/2019 firmware.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sun May 26, 2019 6:29 pm

I moved the file to my github fork

https://github.com/nretro/Minimig-AGA_M ... WinUAE.zip

@Sorgelig: I think it would be a good idea to make the right hrtmon binary more easily available. Should we include it in the release folder on github (like the MIST project did)? If yes, I'd just include it in the next PR.

The scaler is only needed for VGA. In particular, it doubles the horizontal frequency to 31khz which is supported by most monitors.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 26, 2019 8:05 pm

R4MS wrote:@Sorgelig: I think it would be a good idea to make the right hrtmon binary more easily available. Should we include it in the release folder on github (like the MIST project did)? If yes, I'd just include it in the next PR.

Sure. You can make a PR.

R4MS wrote:The scaler is only needed for VGA. In particular, it doubles the horizontal frequency to 31khz which is supported by most monitors.

I don't get it. Scaler also needed for HDMI. Basically HDMI cannot work without scaler. So, it's definitely not only for VGA.
Use vga_scaler=1 in MiSTer.ini if you want to use Scaler on VGA.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sun May 26, 2019 8:17 pm

Yes, that is what I wanted to say. From the user perspective, you only have to worry about scalers when using VGA. There are no such options for HDMI, since the signal always has to be scaled.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Well, VGA output is actually for 2 purposes: debug and native output. Some users may have Commodore monitors compatible with all those Amiga non-standard modes. So while connected it should work through VGA connection.

aggro
Atarian
Atarian

Postby aggro » Mon May 27, 2019 12:14 am

R4MS wrote:I moved the file to my github fork

https://github.com/nretro/Minimig-AGA_M ... WinUAE.zip

The scaler is only needed for VGA. In particular, it doubles the horizontal frequency to 31khz which is supported by most monitors.

Thank's for the link. I created the /media/fat directory and added the hrtmon rom as instructed. When I started the minimig with my previous settings low and behold I had the 3.5" Workbench disk logo. I am now able to successfully run floppies! I don't quite get it. I did however note that often switching between systems (usually computer to console) there are issues and I have to turn the MiSTer off and on again. Even when going back to the main menu and selecting the system from there. For example, going from Apple II to NES, SNES or Gameboy, the systems would not work until I turn the MiSTer off and on again. Is this a result of the sdram not cleaning up after going back to the main menu? One other thing I did was remove the other minimig rbf files so there is only the one minimig file in the directory. My settings are as follows.

CPU: 68020, Turbo: None, Video: NTSC, Chipset: AGA, Chip: 2M, Fast: 24M, Slow: None, Rom: KICK.ROM (3.1 a1200 kick rom from Amiga Forever).

I had tried this setup before with this kickrom with no luck. I had tried several different kickrom files renamed to KICK.ROM also. It seems like that isn't an issue as others are using kickroms with different file names. The only thing I don't think I had done before when switching setups and kickroms was turn the MiSTer off and on. Could the media/fat directory have resolved the issue? Is this a required directory?

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Mon May 27, 2019 9:03 am

If you had to create the /media/fat directory, you've probably got a problem with your sdcard image. I would recommend to setup a sdcard using the following instructions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Last edited by MartinW on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MiSTer”