https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Grosbill
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby Grosbill » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:04 pm

PiddlyD wrote:
bitfan2011 wrote:it seems like mounting .hdf images from the Mister GUI is the best way to play Amiga games for me
there's a massive .hdf set out there now...
not sure how saving works, haven't played very deep into anything...

The Ransom HDF set seems to only be available as a RetroPie 128GB image that only installs on RP3, not 3+.

It is massive - looks like Ransom won't be releasing an updated RP3+ version until sometime early in 2019.

Just like anything Pi related, you can extract all the .hdf files from the image itself without using a Pi

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby bitfan2011 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Grosbill wrote:
PiddlyD wrote:
bitfan2011 wrote:it seems like mounting .hdf images from the Mister GUI is the best way to play Amiga games for me
there's a massive .hdf set out there now...
not sure how saving works, haven't played very deep into anything...

The Ransom HDF set seems to only be available as a RetroPie 128GB image that only installs on RP3, not 3+.

It is massive - looks like Ransom won't be releasing an updated RP3+ version until sometime early in 2019.

Just like anything Pi related, you can extract all the .hdf files from the image itself without using a Pi

:wink:

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Sorgelig wrote:There are many other computer cores well suited Amiga case.

All the cores are awesome. I was just thinking about having it boot directly into one of the cores initially, then being able to F-12 to load other cores afterwards. I thought...

"It'll boot into minimig directly, but then I can hit F-12, and select the NES core, or whatever other core, afterwards."

But it sounds like this is probably unstable - so... having it boot into the MiSTer menu and selecting a core is no big deal.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Grosbill wrote:Just like anything Pi related, you can extract all the .hdf files from the image itself without using a Pi

In that case... the torrent is 14 .rar parts, and the 128GB .img file I extract from that seems corrupt. I guess I'll have to try downloading the torrent again.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 pm

PiddlyD wrote:All the cores are awesome. I was just thinking about having it boot directly into one of the cores initially, then being able to F-12 to load other cores afterwards. I thought...

"It'll boot into minimig directly, but then I can hit F-12, and select the NES core, or whatever other core, afterwards."

But it sounds like this is probably unstable - so... having it boot into the MiSTer menu and selecting a core is no big deal.

My minimig config uses HDD. So in order not to corrupt HDD i would wait it to finish booting before switch the cores.
That's why Menu core was created where you quickly boot into core selector.
But it's up to user of course.

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:35 pm

PiddlyD wrote:
Grosbill wrote:Just like anything Pi related, you can extract all the .hdf files from the image itself without using a Pi

In that case... the torrent is 14 .rar parts, and the 128GB .img file I extract from that seems corrupt. I guess I'll have to try downloading the torrent again.

i restored the image first to an actual Pi 3B and then used network xfer
no problems encountered and MISSION COMPRET
trust me, it's worth any trouble
i don't know who invested the time in all the .hdf creation, but holy crappe 8O

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:59 am

bitfan2011 wrote:
PiddlyD wrote:

i restored the image first to an actual Pi 3B and then used network xfer
no problems encountered and MISSION COMPRET
trust me, it's worth any trouble
i don't know who invested the time in all the .hdf creation, but holy crappe 8O

I got sidetracked today on getting the Mac Plus core working. That was a chore. There aren't a lot of .dsk files in exactly 400 or 800k sizes, which the Plus Core requires.

Here is what I ended up doing. I found a copy of System 6.0.8 on .dsk images that were 816k images. The MiSTer core choked on these, because it insists on the disks being 800k.
So I used Mini vMac on my Windows machine, along with the 800k blank images available at
https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/extras/blanks/
Then I copied each 816k .dsk image file into a folder on a vMac hard drive image, ejected the 816k image, inserted an 800k blank, copied the files back from the folder on the hard drive onto the 800k floppy image, renamed the floppy image, and repeated for each disk until I had the 4 disk set.
That worked to install a full, bootable install onto the Mac boot.vhd
And I guess that is what I'll have to do with most files that are on disks that aren't 400k or 800k exactly. Install them on an emulator, copy them over onto one or more 800k floppies, then copy those to MiSTer via samba and install from those.
Kind of a kludge.
I can't imagine anyone without a significant amount of Classic OS experience and a strong desire to have a Mac Classic running on their MiSTer actually being successful at getting very far with this, these days.
I did a full install with Responder and Appletalk - and that caused it to hang. I had to copy a new, blank boot.vhd to the Mister and do a basic Mac Plus reinstall. That did the trick and now I have a hard drive booting 4mb Mac Classic working.
That was a lot of work.
It is way easier on both PC and RetoPie to get Mac up and running.

uigiflip
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby uigiflip » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:55 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16cf5OIC9WW1ElS4ZIaG57Fa6u42Uor6f

Who would be interested in license to apollo core?
Replay 2, Mister, FPGA Replay + 68060 Daughterboard

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:11 pm

uigiflip wrote:https://drive.google.com/open?id=16cf5OIC9WW1ElS4ZIaG57Fa6u42Uor6f

Who would be interested in license to apollo core?

This would be fantastic! :)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:25 pm

He didn't say it's free.
License for "serious" people for serious money i guess :)

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Sorgelig wrote:He didn't say it's free.
License for "serious" people for serious money i guess :)

Serious indeed and yet it "feels" ominous. 8O

field3d
Atariator
Atariator

Action Replay 3 Mister Amiga

Postby field3d » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:07 am

Hello Is there a way to put run the Action Replay 3 for the mister in Amiga? I see the mist has in the cores directory the support for it but I don’t know if the mister has also support or if it is possible include.

Also the mister can have support for the rs 232? I want to restore some tapes from the VBS (Video Backuo System). I don’t k ow if it is possible to use it in the mister because I don’t see serial.

Thank you

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:01 am

There's a better/faster core than Apollo in testing currently, and it will be available as open-source.
I am the flux ninja

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:04 am

JimDrew wrote:There's a better/faster core than Apollo in testing currently, and it will be available as open-source.

Interesting! Do you have a link or more info about this core?

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:11 pm

It's MikeJ's core for the FPGA Archade he means.
-- kolla

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 pm

No, it's not MikeJ's core.
I am the flux ninja

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 am

JimDrew wrote:No, it's not MikeJ's core.

The plot thickens!

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:23 pm

From what I understand, he wants to run the CPU emulation on an ARM core (which goes on a daughter-board of the FPGA-Arcade) and use FPGA only for the custom chips. This will not be a core in the strict FPGA sense, but will most probably faster than anything you could do on an affordable FPGA. Maybe this could be ported our MISTer, since we already have a spare ARM core :D

jazman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jazman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi,

First post of the forum.
I have been running Minimig with WB Classic and WHDLoad, booting Minimig from .hdf files. And except from the struggle to get large files to load, it has been working great and I have been so happy to again play my old favourites.

Fantastic work on getting these cores ported to the DE10-Nano!

The other day I experience flickering on the screen, equal to that mentioned here a few weeks ago. It appeared both in WB environment as well as on the KS floppy load page. I have both the heatsink and fan, running the MiSTer I/O 5.5 and XD v.1.1. Setting FAST RAM to 0 and CHIP to 512KB, removed the flickering, though not enough memory to smoothly run the WB env.
I decided to do a reinstall and upgrade to the latest version of MiSTer and Minimig. Now the flickering artefacts are gone, but I can no longer boot from hdf. I tried both my previously working HDF as well as the WB Classic FULL. Still loading from floppy works fine.
I then tried reinstalling the previous version, still no luck, although I can no boot the original WB classic hdf, though it fails with CRC errors during installation.

Anyone experienced something similar? Could it be that my DE10-Nano has simply gone bad?

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:25 pm

R4MS wrote:From what I understand, he wants to run the CPU emulation on an ARM core (which goes on a daughter-board of the FPGA-Arcade) and use FPGA only for the custom chips. This will not be a core in the strict FPGA sense, but will most probably faster than anything you could do on an affordable FPGA. Maybe this could be ported our MISTer, since we already have a spare ARM core :D

What I am referring to is 100% FPGA 68040 emulation with MMU and FPU. This is not a hybrid.
I am the flux ninja

troydm
Atarian
Atarian

Postby troydm » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Hey all! I'm not sure if I should post it here or not.
So basically I've tried to use Minimig and first problem I've encountered is transferring files to Amiga when they are not in adf format.
Like lha archives and some other files. As I'm not familiar with Amiga and not sure how to configure AmiTCP and use internet connection to transfer files instead I wrote a small utility that is using ADFlib to quickly create an adf floppy out of any files under 800kb. It's Linux/Macos compatible.
Here is the source code if anyone might find it useful https://github.com/troydm/file2adf

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:55 pm

JimDrew wrote:What I am referring to is 100% FPGA 68040 emulation with MMU and FPU. This is not a hybrid.

is it another core which will be in permanent state "will be released as it will be ready"?

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Yes, I am guessing so. Once it is done, it suppose to be released as public domain (not open source) with no licensing restrictions.
I am the flux ninja

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:22 am

The key word was "permanent".

fpgaarcade
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby fpgaarcade » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Sorgelig wrote:The key word was "permanent".

This sense of entitlement (not just from you) is getting a bit irritating. I don't think a lot of people realize quite how much work goes into making these designs - literally 1000s of hours. Many of the contributors are from professional designers, and if this work needed to be paid for at market rate, it wouldn't be possible. We do it for fun.

You are doing a great job Sorgelig collecting and maintaining other peoples designs. I've offered on several occasions for you to link against my repos and make a DE10 build. What I don't want to see, as has happened to a lot of the other cores, is fragmentation. There are now lots of copies all with different and sometimes contradictory changes. What you want is to take all the code, import it into your repository and hack it around as you see fit. Fine, nothing wrong with that - but demanding to do so and not understanding why this might irritate my contributors is an issue. We've discussed this a number of times, and you don't budge.

I'm building a new library of all the building blocks for the github release that I will attempt to maintain. When I import somebody else's design, I ask politely and then make sure they are updated. It's a gift, not a right - time and effort is their most valuable resource.

It's impossible for me or any other hardware vendor to compete with the DE10 board on price, they get an massive educational discount from Intel. I can't get the Xilinx near equivalent device in qty 1000 for less than the entire DE10, which is ridiculous.

You've done a great job exposing more people to FPGA gaming - which is fantastic. I've agreed to do something similar to GnG where DE10 is a build target from my repository - when I get time.

I'm building Replay2 and with my new build system I have collected every core I can find and am targetting both R1, R2 and an Arduino platform. This involves a lot of tidying up but I am getting there. I've given Alynna access to my code already, and I'll push the RTG block and driver into github as soon as we've nailed down the license - another day or so. The M68K variant still has some minor issues, but is better than the TG68, so I'll push that as well as my cache system.

I'm also pushing the SID ahead of the cores to help Jose.

You had better practice drinking, might be in TW mid March...

/MikeJ

Return to “MiSTer”