Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:57 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Manual video adjustment is implemented in Minimig.
There is no 100% automatic screen adjust as Amiga has no exact HBlank parameter.

Yeah i have seen the video adjustment option but for some reason it allows you to stretch the image upwards, left and right but you cant stretch the image downwards, so you have a black space under the image. Is it possible to allow the image to be shifted downwards or stretched downwards?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:59 pm

BlockABoots wrote:
There is no 100% automatic screen adjust as Amiga has no exact HBlank parameter.

Yeah i have seen the video adjustment option but for some reason it allows you to stretch the image upwards, left and right but you cant stretch the image downwards, so you have a black space under the image. Is it possible to allow the image to be shifted downwards or stretched downwards?

for me it works fine with full screen resize.

R4MS
Atari freak
Atari freak

HRTmon for Minmig/MISTer

Postby R4MS » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:00 pm

I've found the correct HRTMON.ROM for Minmig (V2.37, see attachment). Since someone in this thread asked for it, I thought I'll post it.

As the comments in the source of Minmig suggest, it uses the same HRTMON as WinUAE. A gzipped version (plaintext c source) can be found in the sources (hrtmon.rom.cpp).

P.S. You have to disable FastRam for HRTmon to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by R4MS on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slingshot
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby slingshot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:50 pm

ijor wrote:In first place change the compilation settings for achieving the fastest possible build:

Code: Select all

set_global_assignment -name PHYSICAL_SYNTHESIS_EFFORT EXTRA
# note that the parameter name is misleading. It applies to Cyclone III family as well
set_global_assignment -name CYCLONEII_OPTIMIZATION_TECHNIQUE SPEED
set_global_assignment -name FITTER_EFFORT "STANDARD FIT"

Just turned on the SPEED method instead of BALANCED, almost fixed everything. I think it's good enough now.

Alynna
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Alynna » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Here is my BETA BUILD for 256MB RAM expansion.
https://github.com/alynna/Minimig-AGA_M ... inimig.rbf

Known bugs:
1) Reliable to at least 4MB of constant transfer at once. Maybe more, but 16mb may lead to a crash due to the CPU being off the bus for too long.
2) Screen goes blank during large transfers due to CPU being stopped during writes. May also occur during large reads (less impacted due to read cache and pipelining)
3) No selectable option for it yet. If you have the 16MB Z3 RAM enabled, you get the 256MB too.
I do have a plan to implement a write cache (probably today) to mitigate these issues, so stay tuned :)

Alynna
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Alynna » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:11 pm

Alynna wrote:Here is my BETA BUILD for 256MB RAM expansion.
https://github.com/alynna/Minimig-AGA_M ... inimig.rbf

Known bugs:
1) Reliable to at least 4MB of constant transfer at once. Maybe more, but 16mb may lead to a crash due to the CPU being off the bus for too long.
2) Screen goes blank during large transfers due to CPU being stopped during writes. May also occur during large reads (less impacted due to read cache and pipelining)
3) No selectable option for it yet. If you have the 16MB Z3 RAM enabled, you get the 256MB too.
I do have a plan to implement a write cache (probably today) to mitigate these issues, so stay tuned :)

Oh additional note. Floppy disk LED is now being used as RAM expansion access LED (for debugging), so if you see a little weird behaviour with that LED thats why. In a full release build that LED will be hooked back up to the floppy drive :)

Also @Sorgelig: I have decided not to hook up to RAM channel 2, instead i'm exposing the entire HPS memory to my module so I don't have to use multiple DDR3 channels and I can implement multiple boards (like RTG and Ethernet) using the same RAM interface. This is also so you can use the second RAM channel however you want :)

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
BlockABoots wrote:

for me it works fine with full screen resize.

Really?, so your able to stretch the bottom of the display so it can moved down? Hmm when i tried it last i was only able to move the display up, left and right, when i tired to move it down nothing happened

Alynna
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Alynna » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:27 pm

Also for core writers: I am writing a new ddram.sv which should become the gold standard for DDRAM access that I hope will be able to be used in any core.

I'm planning on featuring:
  • Separate read/write caches
  • Basic pipelining (don't know how much yet but probably 16 bytes write 64 bytes read)
  • 8 and 16 bit interfaces
  • Exposure of all 512M HPS memory (AVOID $00000000-$01FFFFFF for ASCAL, also recommend avoiding $02000000-$07FFFFFF for future MiSTer purposes, use $08000000-$1FFFFFFF all you like :) )

PurpleMelbourne
Atariator
Atariator

Postby PurpleMelbourne » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Alynna wrote:This is also so you can use the second RAM channel however you want :)
This is getting exciting. Great news :)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:33 am

Avalon-MM interface which is used for DDR3(MPFE bridge) is very simple by its nature, so it's up to the core how complex access it requires. Sometimes just raw access without any caching is enough like it was done in TGFx16 and Genesis and some other cores.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:42 am

Alynna wrote:1) Reliable to at least 4MB of constant transfer at once. Maybe more, but 16mb may lead to a crash due to the CPU being off the bus for too long.

I've thought CPU is the only one who can access the Fast RAM. Who does this 4MB burst access?

Alynna
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Alynna » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Yeah only the CPU can access it, but (at least in this core) if I do a ram test it works for around 4MB at once, but it keeps the CPU off the bus for too long for longer transfers. Or maybe its holding the DDR bus for too long.

My new ddram.sv i'm working on will give time back to the core during transfers.
The whole thing with the screen blanking during transfers I think may be related to being on the DDRAM bus for too long, it might be blocking ASCAL and other things. If it is CPU related, then I can set it on the other side of the DDR unit (where it connects to the CPU) to get off the bus during the 'b11 phase and give those back to the CPU too.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:56 am

I think you doing something unusual. In normal work 68K has no block copy, there won't be such cases when Amiga will transfer 4MB at once.
Another important thing is good RAM arbiter which should monitor the ram access from different sources and spread the access slots evenly. DDR3 interface doesn't allow bursts larger than 256, so after one burst arbiter should let the other requests to proceed. This is how it works if you use QSYS which adds arbiter in case of several RAM consumers.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 am

So, I just built my Mister two days ago...

I have a .hdf I had built for RetroPie and UAE4ARM using the instructions here:

https://thecakeisaliegaming.wordpress.c ... 2SikcpxITo

A couple of little tweaks and I have it working in 640x400x16 interlaced on Minimig.

I've set up a bunch of WHDload games in a directory. I was playing Great Giana Sisters, and between levels, it hangs for a moment, every time. It FEELS like it is about to crash - screen goes black, music stops - then it resumes as normal.

I just loaded a bootable .adf of Giana sisters, and it doesn't display this behavior.

So I went to my RetroPie to see if it had been doing it all along and I just had never noticed it before. Nope. On the Pi, loading the bootable hard drive and launching the WHDLoad image - no pause or stutter between levels.

Any ideas or suggestions? I feel like it wasn't stuttering like this at first on the Mister - but just started doing this - but that may be my imagination and I have no way to confirm.

Also, the Minimig wiki page says:

The zip file contains a minimig-mist-1_2.rbf file, which is the FPGA core, and a firmware.upg file, which can be used to upgrade the firmware on the ARM microcontroller (usually, there is no need to upgrade the firmware, unless it is specifically mentioned to do so). Both files should be placed on the root of your SD card. If you want this core to be the default, you need to rename it to core.rbf.

I assumed this to mean that if I renamed the .rbf file to core.rbf - it would automatically load into the minimig core when I turn on the Mister.

I executed cp minimig-mist-1_2.rbf core.rbf and cold booted the Mister -I see a file named core.rbf, it is the right size... and if I select it, it loads into minimig - but it won't launch automatically on cold start or reboot.

Is there something I'm missing?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:14 am

don't use rbf for MiST on MiSTer - they are not compatible.
Some parts of readme haven't been updated and have wrong info.

attle
Atari User
Atari User

Postby attle » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:47 am

PiddlyD wrote:I've set up a bunch of WHDload games in a directory. I was playing Great Giana Sisters, and between levels, it hangs for a moment, every time. It FEELS like it is about to crash - screen goes black, music stops - then it resumes as normal.

These symptoms usually pop up when WHDLoad has too little Fast RAM to cache the disk images. How much RAM does your Minimig config have?
You should also check if the Giana Sisters icon has the PRELOAD tooltype set (Icon>Information menu or something like that in right click menu).

http://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#Preload

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:40 pm

it seems like mounting .hdf images from the Mister GUI is the best way to play Amiga games for me
there's a massive .hdf set out there now...
not sure how saving works, haven't played very deep into anything...

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:47 am

Sorgelig wrote:don't use rbf for MiST on MiSTer - they are not compatible.

What does this mean? That the file should just be renamed "core" and then it will be the default core, or that I shouldn't be using the .rbf cores? Those are the only cores at the GitHub repo. I'm confused.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:53 am

attle wrote:
PiddlyD wrote:I've set up a bunch of WHDload games in a directory. I was playing Great Giana Sisters, and between levels, it hangs for a moment, every time. It FEELS like it is about to crash - screen goes black, music stops - then it resumes as normal.

These symptoms usually pop up when WHDLoad has too little Fast RAM to cache the disk images. How much RAM does your Minimig config have?
You should also check if the Giana Sisters icon has the PRELOAD tooltype set (Icon>Information menu or something like that in right click menu).

http://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#Preload

Somehow I had changed it back to OCS while tinkering around with different configurations. I changed it to ECS, and the issue with the stutter went away.

Lightwave
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lightwave » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:44 am

PiddlyD wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:don't use rbf for MiST on MiSTer - they are not compatible.

What does this mean? That the file should just be renamed "core" and then it will be the default core, or that I shouldn't be using the .rbf cores? Those are the only cores at the GitHub repo. I'm confused.

Your post listed files specifically for the MiST, which is a totally different device than the MiSTer. You need to use the MiSTer Minimig files instead.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:47 am

Lightwave wrote:Your post listed files specifically for the MiST, which is a totally different device than the MiSTer. You need to use the MiSTer Minimig files instead.

I see that now - but I must have gotten confused when I was copying the core I was using into the post. The MIST core wouldn't actually work with MiSTer, would it?

Looking at the actual file on my MiSTer, it is Minimig_02190120.rbf.

So, yeah... I'm using the latest core from the MiSTer github. Sorry for the confusion there. I'm pretty new to this and struggling to keep MIST and MiSTer separated in my mind...

I've copied THAT file to "core.rbf"

cp Minimig_02190120.rbf core.rbf

- but it doesn't load automatically as the default when I power the MiSTer on. I can select it from the core menu - and it loads fine, though.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:54 am

You need to rename it to menu.rbf to automatically load it.
But you may have different types of problems as it's not supposed to use anything than Menu core as startup.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 am

bitfan2011 wrote:it seems like mounting .hdf images from the Mister GUI is the best way to play Amiga games for me
there's a massive .hdf set out there now...
not sure how saving works, haven't played very deep into anything...

The Ransom HDF set seems to only be available as a RetroPie 128GB image that only installs on RP3, not 3+.

It is massive - looks like Ransom won't be releasing an updated RP3+ version until sometime early in 2019.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:38 am

Sorgelig wrote:You need to rename it to menu.rbf to automatically load it.
But you may have different types of problems as it's not supposed to use anything than Menu core as startup.

Thanks. In that case, I'll just take the extra step and pick the core I want from the menu.rbf. If I had it all set inside an actual Amiga case - it might be worth it... but I don't even have the MiSTer in a case at all... so I'm not fooling anyone. :)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:57 am

PiddlyD wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:You need to rename it to menu.rbf to automatically load it.

Thanks. In that case, I'll just take the extra step and pick the core I want from the menu.rbf. If I had it all set inside an actual Amiga case - it might be worth it... but I don't even have the MiSTer in a case at all... so I'm not fooling anyone. :)

There are many other computer cores well suited Amiga case.

Return to “MiSTer”